I made an amazing discovery about Ian Watson's Space Marine!

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

I made an amazing discovery about Ian Watson's Space Marine!

Postby Therion » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:20 am

It's a Wh40k 1st edition novel, not a 2nd edition novel!

Proof:
“He was not viewing his snout-visored companions with his actual eyes, though.”

Snout visor usually refers to visored bascinet helmets - it means that is Space Marine is about beakies!

There certainly is no mistake. Note how Ian Watson uses names of historical architecture:

rib vaulted, groin vaulted, fan vaulted, oriel windows, mullions, lancet windows, trefoils, barbican, etc.

So, apparently he saw the Corvus armour and immediately associated it with a visored bascinet helmet. Wow, such a discovery!

Another proof:
Titan's weapons are macro-cannons and defence lasers. Space Marine 2nd Edition was released in 1991 and already had quake cannons and volcano cannons instead.

Another is balloon-wheeled vehicles with macro-cannons in the Sagramosso city.

It explains stuff like the skaters with shuriken catapults and similar.
My DeviantArt Gallery

The pretensions of respect for work that the intellectual property fanatics hold evaporate as soon as the work in question is performed by a citizen of a "developing country".

World without justice and equality, without profound respect for humans and their life, their work, world based on power, be it economic power, political power or military power is the ultimate degradation of human being as an individual. Such a world is the ultimate heresy.
Therion

Re: I made an amazing discovery about Ian Watson's Space Mar

Postby Therion » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:40 am

Ha! Found a confirmation!
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Free-Extras ... atson.html

Space Marine was first published in 1993 but the manuscript was finished a couple of years before that. Do you recall the reason for this delay?

The first medieval Warhammer fiction, and the Dark Future books by Kim Newman writing as Jack Yeovil, and the first 40K fiction by me were all published by GW Books edited by David Pringle in Brighton. David Pringle edited the leading British SF magazine Interzone, and prevailed upon some of his stable of writers to provide the then-owner of Games Workshop, Bryan Ansell, with his dream come true of 'real books by real authors' set in Bryan’s beloved Warhammer domains. This arrangement came to an end in about 1991, and new management at GW spent a while before settling on the media packagers Boxtree as a new publisher. (This was long before the Black Library.) So some books got delayed, such as also the second volume of my Inquisition War trilogy, and Space Marine.

What sort of background were you given before writing the four books in the series?

GW gave me all the manuals existing as of about 1990 plus printouts of material still under development, regarding Necromunda for instance, and the eldar; not to mention a stream of White Dwarfs where such material was appearing bit by bit. I was very well briefed, and in fact I still have all that material in a couple of boxes. Writing 40K required encyclopaedic study, whereas medieval Warhammer could be generic fantasy within the less enormous medieval Warhammer setting.
My DeviantArt Gallery

The pretensions of respect for work that the intellectual property fanatics hold evaporate as soon as the work in question is performed by a citizen of a "developing country".

World without justice and equality, without profound respect for humans and their life, their work, world based on power, be it economic power, political power or military power is the ultimate degradation of human being as an individual. Such a world is the ultimate heresy.
Therion

Re: I made an amazing discovery about Ian Watson's Space Mar

Postby Sumeragi Atsukuni » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:48 pm

It's... amazing.

There certainly is no mistake. Note how Ian Watson uses names of historical architecture:

rib vaulted, groin vaulted, fan vaulted, oriel windows, mullions, lancet windows, trefoils, barbican, etc.

So, apparently he saw the Corvus armour and immediately associated it with a visored bascinet helmet. Wow, such a discovery!

But is that abnormal... ? I mean... how else can someone make decent depictions of the scenery ? Inventing words ?
Sumeragi Atsukuni

Return to Board index

Return to Worlds of Warhammer