New Tau / SM box-set

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

New Tau / SM box-set

Postby revelation » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:24 pm

I'm not a huge fan of the Tau, but I am a huge fan of the new Raven Guard SM Captain that's coming in the box set.

Imo, it's one of the better looking SM Captains that GW has released as of late, especially in terms of posing. It looks more dynamic. I like the look of the sculpt overall too.

revelation

Re: New Tau / SM box-set

Postby Xisor » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:47 am

A Raven Guard without a jump pack and also not being terribly stealthy? Black Library, I fear they aren't everyone of them the superspaceninjas you'd have me read about!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Mossy Toes » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:28 am

The helmet looks kind of silly, to me. Still, some of the new Tau minis look cool--though I dunno what exactly will be in this campaign box.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Athelassan » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:30 am

I don't think the paint-job does that helmet any favours, though even without that it does remind me somewhat uncomfortably of a star-nosed mole.

I'm inclined to agree about the pose and general appearance of the figure. Since they went full plastic, even for individual models, there's been a tendency for figures to be rather flat or static, or on the other hand excessively fiddly - and sometimes both at once - with the happy middle ground frustratingly unoccupied. In fact this is one of those rare GW man-size character models from the last couple of years where I can look at it and don't immediately think "yup, that's plastic".

Ath
Athelassan

Postby revelation » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:33 pm

I can kind of see how the helmet might be too much for some, but I think Ath is right that the paint job doesn't do it any favors. While GW seems to like the extreme contrasting edge highlights, I personally would have toned them down on the helmet.

The face plate/helm reminds me a lot of the FW Ultramarine Invictarii helmets, which I'm pretty fond of.
revelation

Postby Fenris » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:30 pm

I like it.

The helmet isnt the best thing possible but it's not terrible (also,fits with the honor guard models) and i like the general posing

The etheral on the other hand is kinda meh

Models aside,yay more formations for codex SM (yep,part of the ruls has been leaked already) :lol:

And in double news,if you already have the old tau codex,you just need the campaign book for this box for all the new tau codex rules.....Since the new tau codex is just the old one + the revised&new stuff that's in the campaign
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby Major Rawne » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:07 am

The particular thing that struck me about these fellows is their bright white arms. It screams "Hey, look at us! Us the Masters of Stealth sneaking up on you! OVER HERE!"
Major Rawne

Postby Fenris » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:27 pm

And a piece of art+background in the BL store preview seems to suggest that the Ravens might have joined the Fists in the "we just killed your chapter master" club
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Return to Board index

Return to Worlds of Warhammer