The Dance Without End

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

Re: The Dance Without End

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:24 pm

Glove puppets would help be all the chaos gods.

Otherwise chaos as the primal annihilator? Embodying the concept of Chaos rather than the specific gods?

Otherwise there is always the Japanese opera sort of staging where you have someone in black who is invisible and moves the props about.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Xisor » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:32 pm

schaferwhat‽ wrote:Otherwise there is always the Japanese opera sort of staging where you have someone in black who is invisible and moves the props about.

Ooh, I like that too. A 'singular' Mime, almost.

I was also thinking 'Chaos Undivided', perhaps going for an Abaddon-esque [or even just Horus] pose & colouration. I think that appeals to me a bit more than my initial 'other three gods' side of things. Hell, even one dressed up as Hashut or the Horned Rat (e.g. the horned/razored helmets) would cut it for 'Chaos Undivided'.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:36 pm

horns and an eight pointed star somewhere would cover Chaos Undivided,
schaferwhat‽

Postby Xisor » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:09 am

Right, I still haven't built the remainders yet, but I have went ahead with a bit more painting.

The Dance Without End
Ynned, Vaul & Yngir: A Study In Sharing

I'm particularly happy with the masks aspect here. Ynnead has the 'white face' of the Emperor - all things to all people. Yngir has the archetypal Necron-y face. Vaul, appropriately, has a nice half-mask: half veiled, half skeletal. I'm thinking...Vaul Moon, I'm thinking Mars, I'm thinking Omnissiah.

Also you can clearly make out the motifs across the three of them: Vaul's injury, Ynnead's aspect as a gestating foetus (a warrior still to grow into the 'true god amongst the stars' that he will become) and Yngir's machine-body cloaked in the power of stars. Also cool weapons: shrieker cannon, psychic sword & claw, chainsword & fusion pistol

Lileath, Isha & Kurnous: The Circles of Life

As you can see, they've got hair now too. Isha's to get some blue/white highlighting, Kurnous has to be shaded a bit more and Lileath needs some stronger yellow & inking, but broadly, it should do the trick and they ought come together nicely.

IMO, except for Isha looking a bit rubbish, I think they're coming together rather neatly.

Morai-Heg & Asuryan: Deities Beyond Eternity
Link to Morai-Heg on the off-chance image doesn't show.

I've some plans for the masks still. I'm keen to highlight a bit more on Morai-Heg's mask itself, it's presently Mordian Blue, but needs more colour to it, more depth. Similarly, her head itself is wholly unmarked, I'm unsure whether I want to leave it like that, make it blacker/varnished, subtly ink it...or even just go outright and paint it a different colour again. Black seems appropriate. The mask, though, more blue probably. A slight parody on the Laughing God's mask might work too. More blues, varied. Keeps the colour theme for the model.

For Asuryan, I'm a lot happier now that I've removed the gold from the sword. It's not finished, but the flaming sword seems a lot more appropriate. I think the gold mask'll stay. Perhaps some eye colour (yellow & white combined, probably) and then something for the under-mask, as it's black just now, but I'm not actually too sure about it. Thoughts?

Slaanesh, Cegorach, Khaine: Those Who Linger

As you can see, Cegorach has a rather distinctive face. It's a pleasing combination in my mind: Tau + Trollface. This ties in neatly to the insinuation that Cegorach has a role in the creation of the Tau, which is pleasing but not too blatant.

Similarly, Slaanesh is a pretty unique colour combination within the Pantheon. The 'jagged crown' seems appropriate for 'the Dark Prince'.

Khaine, on the otherhand, is pretty blatant. She still needs eyes and shading on her face, but her hands are close to bang on the mark. The paint & colour needs tidied up, of course, but still, it's pretty straight & unambiguous.

Plan

I'm still keen to do the Mime, Hoec & Gea. Should be cool.
Last edited by Xisor on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Mossy Toes » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:28 am

Looking better (and more garish) all the time.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Xisor » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:54 pm

Cheers, Mossy! 8-)

First of all, as LL picked up this evening, we have new troupers!

The Edge of the Pantheon
Hoec, the Wanderer

Hoec is said to be one with the webway. He has walked between worlds since the dawn of the Universe. He is often revered amongst those who walk the Path of the Outcast.

Compared to the other Harlequins, he is supposed to look much more akin to a ranger. Colour-wise, I think he'll be broadly browns and very earthy. His helm & mask will be silver edging (hinting at the origins of the Webway?) with the faceplate having star motifs (white & yellow) as per the Death Jester's coat.

'Woven' atop the earthy browns will be (ideally) a very light web-weave of silvers, golds and whites. (Symbolising the webway, in case you're not getting that!)

Gea, the Concubine of Asuryan and of Khaine

Gea, the dual concubine of Khaine & Asuryan. That's basically all we know of her.

She's got the shardnet and a big ol' spear. The shardnet will be coloured with something of a 'flame' motif, a boon gain from Asuryan? (Fiery as per phoenix.) The spear will be painted in silvers & gold, with the gauntlet a nice, bloody red - just like Khaine would approve of. Her body will be a combination of moderate & darker blues.

The Stagehand - Bearer of the Lost Blade Anaris

The Stagehand is the metaphor for 'the rest of existence'. Subservient to the gods, he embodies Eldanesh & Ulthanesh, his spear/blade could be Anaris and he could stand in for Inriam the Young (the descendent who eventually loses Anaris). The backpack/pole is a 'store' for keeping things. His role in the Pantheon can also accommodate the 'material' Old Ones, the Young Races, lesser enemies (the Hresh-Sleain or the Autochtinii). As these folks all have 'lesser' roles in the Dance Without End, it is sufficient for only one character to embody them.

The Stagehand will be painted, as per the suggestion of Mr Schafer, as largely black (possibly with a few white diamonds as needed). The 'possessions' on his back-pole will be painted, so too will the spear (as if Anaris, so golden/yellow/orange - not flamey), and possibly the pistol will be painted as mottled (black+white diamonds).

Part of me is tempted to paint the pistol in 'Farsight' colours, as if the pistol is the Enclaves and is manipulated by an 'unseen/invisible operator' into protecting/guarding Anaris, the dawnblade. It's something of a big 'buy in' to 40k conspiracy, settling on a particular 'truth', but I like it.

---

The Rest of the Dance
Ynnead, God of the Dead

Ynnead's simply been tidied up a bit. Nothing terribly exciting.

Morai-Heg, the Crone, Goddess of Dreams

Morai-Heg's main addition is recolouring of the weapons and, critically, the mask at her thigh. In the same style as the Laughing God (goddess of fate is perhaps 'in on the joke'?), it's blue. Critically, this mask also has the 'forehead thing' seen on both the Ethereals and the Deceiver. Appropriate? Oh my yes.

Isha, Goddess of the Harvest, Mother of the Eldar

The main addition here is some diamonding on her leg and the recolouring of her weapons. Her hair's also had a bit of a tidying too.

Asuryan, the Phoenix King

Again, he's been tidied up a bit. The weapon detailing is key - his sword's had flame detail rather than gold. He still needs an 'undermask' colour for his head.

Khaine, The Bloody Handed God

Main addition here is diamonds to her leg. I still intend to fix her mask too, as I'm not happy with the yellow. Hopefully inking will tidy that up. (And some white/light blue 'edging' on the diamonds on her leg to highlight them.)

Kurnous, God of the Hunt, Father of the Eldar

As seen, the diamonds on Kurnous' coat & cloth is the main addition. Still needs tidying up and highlighting, but looks a lot more Harlequiny, I'd say.

Yngir, the Star Gods

As you can see, he's been tidied up a bit too. There's still work to be done - the 'captive star' needs tidied up, lots of highlighting and edging also needs to be added. Nevertheless, it's close enough to 'how I imagine' it. Once I get some ink on here, I think it'll look a lot better.

Lileath, the Maiden Goddess

Again, a bit of tidying and detail on her hair. Her skin needs emphasis and the white/blue needs reinforced, edged & highlighted. But nevertheless, it's getting close to the correct look.

Slaanesh, She Who Thirsts, The Great Enemy

Metal colours added, including the 'crown'. Edging & inking needed, but pretty close to 'correct' for me. I might add some spiral patterns, perhaps even tracing out some Slaaneshi runes. Shall consult Liber Chaotica for more inspiration.

Cegorach, the Laughing God

Behold the diamonds coming together! Horrifically untidy and a total shambles from a painting point of view, you can see just how rubbish I am. On the other hand...it's looking 'about right'. More edging & inking, as per the rest of the group, but steadily improving and properly coming together.

I am rather pleased with him, shoddy as he is.
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby revelation » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:05 am

These are looking quite nice, and great job on the freehand diamond pattern. That must have been really difficult to pull off. You don't realize how little space you have to work with until you get the miniature actually in your hands. Photographs don't give you a proper sense of the size.
revelation

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:11 pm

Looking neat, I feel a bit sorry for the stagehand, not having a proper role.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Xisor » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:24 pm

Cheers folks. The diamonds are so much difficult as they are...frustrating. The principle and what has to be done is really stupidly simple, the far more massive annoyance stems from any little hand twitch or lapse in attention. Colouring-in inside the lines was never my strong point... :lol:

I've built some Mimes with Shredders (counting as Trueborn - three shredders and a Dracon with grenade & blast pistol; all in 'blank' Reaver helms), whom I think'll probably come out a bit neater. In hindsight, as 'my first difficult painting project' goes, Harlequins probably wasn't the most sensible starting place. Nevertheless, in at the deep end!

schaferwhat‽ wrote:Looking neat, I feel a bit sorry for the stagehand, not having a proper role.

The more I think on him, the more I'm convinced he's Inriam the Young, but also a solid metaphor for 'everyone else' (including the role of the Eldar race). 'The Legacy of Eldanesh' might work neatly too. In either case, the spear's being done up as Anaris. I'm quite obsessed with the idea now.
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby LordLucan » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:38 pm

For your khaine harlequin, I honestly think a sort of molten metal appearance (like the avatars of khaine) would work best for the mask. Darken the mask significantly, and have the eyes, very edge of the mask and the mouth glowing with orange fire.

I also have to say, your conversion for the stage hand model is wonderful. I love the simple kitbashing done to achieve it. Is he having the black and white colour scheme?
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Xisor » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:57 pm

LordLucan wrote:For your khaine harlequin, I honestly think a sort of molten metal appearance (like the avatars of khaine) would work best for the mask. Darken the mask significantly, and have the eyes, very edge of the mask and the mouth glowing with orange fire.

I think you could be very right there. Using the eyes & mouth as some of the 'cracks' in the molten surface would work very well. It'd also allow 'veins' of lava to parallel the 'scratched out' theme seen on the Tablet in Xenology. I thoroughly approve.

LordLucan wrote:I also have to say, your conversion for the stage hand model is wonderful. I love the simple kitbashing done to achieve it. Is he having the black and white colour scheme?
Why thanks. He'll likely be prominently black, perhaps with a few small white diamonds about his person. I think the kitbash's worked very well for them. I half wish I had another Scourge kit to do the 'high' legs with, but having a few on the ground should be fairly reasonable, I hope!

This evening I think I'll see about painting Gea, Hoec, Inriam (Stagehand) & the Mimes. I might even get some photos of the mimes...if you're lucky!
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Xisor » Sat May 05, 2012 10:27 pm

Mimicry & Madness

I finally did a bit more on them. The delay has cost me painting-wise; my fine-detail skill is now atrocious. In hindsight, I should've left these alone and carried on doing the touches to my guardsmen. I didn't, so here're the results ongoing!

The Goddess Gea, Consort of Asuryan & Khain

Loec, God of Wanderers
God of Rangers

Inriam the Young, Final Bearer of the Lost Blade Anaris - Stagehand, the Bearer

Khaine, the Xisor's Crap at Detail

The Farce Without Punchline

An Assembly & Unfortunate Closeup

Discussion

As you can see, fine detail on them is pretty abysmal. The only one I'm really happy with at the moment is Loec, and that's because he's almost precisely as I imagined. (Albeit, very much likely to benefit from a mudwash and more detailing/highlighting on his arm, hand and weapon.)

Gea's getting there. It's a nice model, but the bright blue knee (mimicking the breastplate of Asuryan) is seriously detracting from the model. I think a gold or brass over that would probably 'balance' the model again, with reds on the 'belt' in the middle, reinforce the 'and Khaine' side of things. I'm also not entirely happy with the white speartip - I might undo that and go for the same colours as I've got on the wraithbone* elsewhere.

* Is it wraithbone for Harlequins? I honestly couldn't say.

Anaris is getting there. I used Charadon Granite on his armour to reinforce that he's not a mime. I think I might go over it again, possibly to shade in most of it either with ink or with mixes of with black. In any case, he's beginning to look that part. I think the 'bulb' between the two blades on Anaris could do with being painted a nice, sharp yellow, if I can manage that.

The Mimes. These are my babies. They'll be Trueborn - three shredders and a blast pistol. Indicating proper infiltrators: get into position then... blam! Menaces indeed. (I was considering three blasters, but shredders seem infinitely more... Harlequin.)

For adding detail, I'm thinking a highlight or drybrush in, say, Charadon Granite/Adeptus Battlegrey might be enough to bring out their edges and detail without 'lighting them up'. Their right legs are all also due to get a few white diamonds on them, oh my yes! :twisted:
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Mossy Toes » Sun May 06, 2012 12:49 am

Loec's cracking face is awesome, and the Farce Without Punchline's mimes are suitably crisp and severe. I do so love those faceless masks!

Keep at it. I'm sure your fine detail hand will return in time, and these are looking decent (albeit some are half-painted) as they are.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Xisor » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:52 pm

New players have entered the game

"If people stand in a circle long enough, they'll eventually begin to dance."
-G. Carlin

Song of the Devourer

A Poke in the Eye of Terror

But Charlie, don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he always wanted.

Cunningly Brutal

Brutally Cunning

If you walk without rhythm...

The Speartip

---

I'm very happy with most of them, the only misgiving I have is that the legs are a bit too obviously limited. For any more, I think I'll have to be doing some kitbashing, mainly with Dark Eldar Wyches and Scourges to keep the dynamism, but I think there's enough there to build quite a fine bunch. More'n that, if I get another two boxes, plus some Wyches, Reavers and Scourges, I might be able to convert up some Death Jesters (from the Scourge heavy weapons, big Harlequin coats and 'facelss masks' on the reavers/wyches), or even just better 'unify' each of the smaller troupes.

Lots of options, anyway. I think I'd be quite keen for a troupe with neuro-disruptors and a troupe with embraces too, one to deal quickly with big creatures and one to just pummel into units with by dealing, say, 6D3 S6 I10 automatic hits.

Lots of fun.

---

With regards to filling out the pantheon - at least one of them is going to be 'the Great Devourer', the one with the Dark Eldar 'trumpet', and I'm somewhat tempted to have 'Speartip' done up as Horus (predominantly black/brass with striking red elements). That also could allow the new Solitaire to be 'Slaaneshi underneath', but with the coat/arms done up as Abaddon (riffing off Talon's "look at my big hand" imagery).

But the others, I'm stuck for. Might need to acquire a (or peruse someone else's) copy of the Eldar codex to fill in the last holes of the Pantheon. Or even one of the Elf codexes - but I'm reluctant to draw out the Pantheon from Fantasy purely. Loec got in 'cause he's god of the lost (or somesuch) in 40k, not the Cegorach-analogue Loec in Fantasy. So just drawing them out directly wouldn't exactly work.

Perhaps the (eventual) Skyweavers could even be done up a little with motifs akin to the Council of Beasts? Hmmm.
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby LordLucan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:51 pm

I really like your conversion of the GW solitaire sculpt. I dislike the little devil horns they gave them. Your 'empty hood' imagery is much more evocative of the Solitaire's doom I feel.
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Xisor » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:52 pm

I'm rather chuffed with it too, so tasks, LL! I'm waiting to get more masks from more kits to do all the Harlequins, but the Solitaire looks just fine (err, better than) without a mask.

Also, I flicked through the 'dex yesterday. Very minimal in units (no mimes!), but I think it could be made to work rather nicely indeed. Especially combined with some allies.
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Mossy Toes » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:28 am

I like the empty hoods too, honestly--though I'm a little put off by the flat bump-heads that follow it.
Mossy Toes

Postby Major Rawne » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:37 pm

Had quite the enjoyable evening dipping in and out of Ben Counter's twitch stream as he painted one of these bad boys up. His free hand painting really was something to watch as he went for a digital camo scheme.
Major Rawne

Postby Vivia » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:45 pm

You can tell how excellent those models are, they already look gorgeous unpainted. No need to think how things will get "fixed" with a little paint. What I like the most the lightness they have, the straight opposite of CSM. I'm going to sell my Obis, they are metal models and they're such a bother to make to stand straight, there is no way to slim them down either (wow, watched too many videos about contouring powder). ;)
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Xisor » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:29 am

Mossy Toes wrote:I like the empty hoods too, honestly--though I'm a little put off by the flat bump-heads that follow it.

Not to worry, once I've got the Star/Voidweaver and Starweaver kits, I'll have a full range of masks to choose from - didn't want to fix any of them down that I don't need to before matching them all correctly to theirrespective bits of the Pantheon!

As it is, it looks like I've got about 1400points of models here. Three 5-man troupes, 4 Death Jesters (classic + 3 Mimes), 2 Shadowseers (classic + Solitaire conversion), 1 Solitaire (new) plus a few extra bodies as needed. If I temporarily proxy using DE stuff for my weavers I could be doing very well indeed - a Venom for the Voidweaver, some Reavers for Skyweavers gets me up to a legal 'main' formation. (Proxying my Raiders as Starweavers would give a nice, rounded army!)

Thereon, I can leisurely return to my plan for converted Death Jesters (Scourges/Wyches/Harlies).

And it shouldn't break the bank - maybe £75 on two Skyweaver boxes and a Voidweaver, and I've got a nice army I can add to as I need to.

Of course, it's a teeny army, with oodles of characters, but I can survive it.

(Also, I seem to have misplaced my Isha and Lileath models - where could they be!? Nurgle...?)
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Worlds of Warhammer