Skip to content

Watcher Keep, Bolthole Station - non-celebrity Deathwatch!

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

Watcher Keep, Bolthole Station - non-celebrity Deathwatch!

Postby Xisor » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:34 pm

Foreward: I've for a long-time now fancied a 'non-famous' Deathwatch RPG, wherein all the players are from a chapter no-one's heard of. They might be one of the most famous Chapters of the Imperium day-to-day, but in the lore it's just they're unheard of.

As I also fancied a little Genestealer Cult army, the Deathwatch Overkill game struck me as a great option. (Also it's an easy to justify expense as it can be played with people who haven't got any investment in all this nonsense at all.)

So, using one of the great pieces of work over on Bolter & Chainsword (a list of Space Marine icons/shoulder pads from the DW Veterans kit that can also double as 'other Chapters' [e.g. the Raptor's Symbol is used by almost a dozen known chapters?]) and applying my own research and bits-boxing, I managed to make an entirely non-First Founding and barely-Second-Founding set of Deathwatch Space Marines, with only a single one that was wholly created by me (the Swords Imperial, and that's a repurposed Dark Angel veteran pad & pack, I think)!

So, there you go, here's a 'looking alright' stage of development for them. Certainly worthy of being played with now. Which means I also really need to get my bottom in gear and get working on the Cultists...

Anyway, without further ado:

Watch Station Bolthole, in Segmentum Tempestus, is a subcomponent of the Watcher Keep installation on the extremes of the Tempestus/Pacificus border surface. Locations of note under the Watcher Keep's auspices are the Grand Avenue of the Serpent, the Kaliarchon Combine, the Nervkor Dynasty and more than two dozen Imperial sectors on the exterior edge of the Imperium the rests beyond the conventional limits of the galactic disc.

Though remote, the density of Segmentum Pacificus and Tempestus means a great deal of traffic enters the realms served by the Watcher Keep. Watch Station Bolthole is formerly a Xenos asteroid chain which has been wholly repurposed for Imperial use. It is sited in the forbidden system Bertrand's Hearth, at the inner edge of the Horrubim Sector's Heartache Subsector.

Of Watcher Keep's two main Watch Stations (the other being Watch Station De Vaal, sited closer to the border surface and Watcher Keep itself), Watch Station Bolthole serves primarily as a transit point between the heavy duty actions conducted by the main fortress and information/personnel/materiel further into the heart of the Imperium. Moreover, it acts as a hub for patrols serving the Oreatufor Sector (across whose rim ward border the Heartache subsector is found) and its borders - specifically important due to the high number of seemingly natural warp gates and warp portals in uninhabited space pertaining to the Sector.

As of 816M41 (7), the Astartes inhabitants of Watch Station Bolthole are as follows:

Chaplain Samson Gronbach
Swords Imperial Chapter

Lexicanum Pix Draggor
Mortifcators Chapter

Watch Sergeant Moss el-Gibran
Angels of Vengeance Chapter

Brother Niss Bextor
Star Dragons Chapter

Brother Machur Yusufu
Exemplars Chapter

Brother Atafet
Hawk Lords Chapter

Brother Jayaz Tzin
Angels of Fire Chapter

Brother Garrot Bessedine
Emperor's Hands Chapter

Brother Leonard Hochmann
Subjugators Chapter

Brother Arx Sabrebull
Shadow Wolves Chapter

Brother Edmund Belzar
Angels Encarmine Chapter

---

Killteam Bolthole: Ready to deploy!
Purge the Xenos
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Re: Watcher Keep, Bolthole Station - non-celebrity Deathwatc

Postby Rob P » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:31 pm

Very nice! I particularly like that you'e not gone for first founding legions.

I'm currently working on some Bloodbound having finished some Stormcast (not brilliant but can be found http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/3 ... ist-a-plog).

After that I should be entering the world of 40k. I have Battle for Macragge less 2 marines (no idea), Betrayal at Calth, Dark Angels side of Dark Vengeance (with LE chaplain), the DW Raven Guard mini, an unbuilt captain, chaplain with jetpack and the Primus Medicae in terminator armour, Also got a crap load of Tyranids.

So thinking of doing Raven Guard with DV Fallen/Unforgiven detachment vs Tyranids. But let's see. It's took me 4 months to paint about 20 Stormcast.
Rob P

Postby Athelassan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:26 pm

I've heard of the Angels Encarmine and the Angels of Vengeance! Your mission, sir, is a failure, and I must insist you commit seppuku at once.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Vivia » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:12 pm

Great work, Xisor! They have done wonders with the facial expressions of the minis, I'm impressed.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Xisor » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:27 pm

Cheers my dears!

I've mainly been doing a bit of Ad Mech stuff this half-year, but the last few weeks I've read a big ol' pile of Inquisition and Deathwatch stories.

As such, I treated myself to a little dabble with the Start Collecting box for Deathwatch. (Also a squad of Custodes and Sisters of Silence.) And even a Sanguinary Priest to do up as a conversion.

I've only under-sprayed them so far, but have a vague thought for the wider set.

My thinking is something along this line:
Sanguinary Priest: Techmarine with Xenophaseblade, ServoArm, grav-gun
Artemis: unsure, but might try to give him the second XPB.
Dreadnought: Guardian of the Covenant with Plasma Cannon & Storm Bolter

That leaves the regular marines themselves - I'm tempted to do a full four with Shotguns, two Frag Cannons, and the remainder bolter/sword pairings. I've a few spare chainswords about from a variety of kits, as well as the fancy bolters from the Sternguard kits, so it might be nice to keep them a bit "simple".

For keeping the theme, I'm really keen to have them all be continually non-First Founding. There's a good catalogue of 'known duplicates' of the shoulder pads on the sprues. The Imperial Fists and Raptors will probably get solid use, as there's plenty of overlap. The rest I might need to make serious judgements on!

Or, heaven forbid, get creative and invent new chapters!

---

Edit: inherent sexism alert klaxon - I also just remember a vague plan I was considering: converting up a Watch Master using one of the Guardian Spears off the Custodes frame.

... and one of the heads off the Sisters of Silence.

Which is to say: might as well 'lead by example'. There should be (and should always have been) women space marines. Simple kitbash is easy to do: so let's.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Xisor » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:47 pm

Introducing some new people to fill out the watch-station's roster, including a visitor from the Watcher Keep itself - the keep's commander: Watch Mistress Ithika Pyror! Also included are some old faces

Watch Mistress Ithika Pyror, Chapter: Silver Skull.

Killteam 0-Alpha, Command

Killteam 1-Beta, Rapid

Killteam 2-Gamma, Strike

Killteam 3-Delta, Titan
[img]l.jpg[/img]

Killteam 4-Eta, Special Operations

Techmarine Cosmin Massador, Chapter: Dark Hand.

Adept Barr Illn, Chapter: Warrior Adept.

Korran Velk, Chapter: Metamarine.

Moss el-Gibran, Chapter: Angel of Vengeance.

Mox Rendorius, Chapter: Iron Talon.

Leonard Hochmann, Chapter: Subjugator.

Machur Yusufu, Chapter: Exemplar.

Edmund Belzar, Chapter: Angel Encarmine

Atafet, Chapter: Hawk Lords
[img]l.jpg[/img]

Pelos Virro, Chapter: Paladin Obscurus.

Pix Dragor, Chapter: Mortifactor.

Samson Gronbach, Chapter: Sword Imperial.

Garra Solar, Chapter: Knight of Gryphonne

Coraline Arch, Chapter: Scion of the Labyrinth at Khapik.

Truff Excelsior, Chapter: Children of the Chalice

Exxel Plim, Chapter: Knight of the Raven

Alvar Liu, Chapter: Golem.

Arx Sabrebull, Chapter: Shadow Wolves.

Jayaz Tzin, Chapter: Angel of Fire.

Niss Bextor, Chapter: Star Dragon.

Garrot Bessedine, Chapter: Emperor's Hand

Qavaria Zine, Chapter: Snakes of Ectos.

------

Of those, several are entirely new chapters.
Children of the Chalice - Blood Drinkers Successor
Paladins Obscurus - Imperial Paladins Successor
Swords Imperial - Unknown Provenance
Scion of the Labyrinth at Khapik - Brazen Minotaurs Successor

I'm hoping to do my dreadnought shortly too, and it'll be something of a challenge as I hope to free-hand it as a Star Phantoms marine!
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Squiggle » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:02 pm

nice work Xisor. and what great models. shame it's 44 pounds for 10 models but they do look ace.
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Xisor » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:50 pm

Cheers Squiggle!

For what it's worth, the Start Collecting boxes are terribly nice value (these days) - compared to the two small kits, it's both of them, plus a venerable dreadnought and the 28mm Artemis model. It's a nice wee bundle, and as Deathwatch are fairly... personal, it's easy to foist a lot of significance onto them that you might not otherwise!
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Major Rawne » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:15 pm

You sir are nothing but a foul temptress!
Major Rawne

Return to Worlds of Warhammer