Skip to content

After 10k years....

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

After 10k years....

Postby Fenris » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:21 pm

...the imperium decided to pay for a winzip licen...ehm...upgrade the space marines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_wXCBDiLEA

This being 40k,how long before the whole thing gets fucked up?
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Re: After 10k years....

Postby Major Rawne » Mon May 01, 2017 8:59 am

You mean more than it already is?
Major Rawne

Postby Fenris » Mon May 01, 2017 4:35 pm

Yep,grimdark has no maxium level of grimdarkness after all
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby Fenris » Mon May 15, 2017 5:40 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYGrIBpE2PI

Models look great,wonders of not having the squatting legs
-
Fenris

Postby Athelassan » Mon May 15, 2017 6:08 pm

At least try to follow the no-swearing rule, please guys.
Athelassan

Postby Therion » Wed May 17, 2017 8:39 am

Whoa, I quit Wh40k and wargaming in general and what immediately happens is GW progressing Wh40k and bringing a primarch back.

Why does it have to be so tacky, though XD ?
My DeviantArt Gallery

The pretensions of respect for work that the intellectual property fanatics hold evaporate as soon as the work in question is performed by a citizen of a "developing country".

World without justice and equality, without profound respect for humans and their life, their work, world based on power, be it economic power, political power or military power is the ultimate degradation of human being as an individual. Such a world is the ultimate heresy.
Therion

Postby Xisor » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:19 pm

The new Repulsor grav tank is up for show the last couple of days. I really quite like the chassis, but it looks pre-orkified the way the the guns are bolted on. Not terrible, but... daft.

Similarly, the space-drop assault-y Marines... they look utterly preposterous. The Kharadron Overlord Ball-Danglers look appropriately silly - in a sort of gruff, endearing way, but the Primaris just look a bit... well, less gruff, more cat-held-by-the-scruff-of-the-neck.

Had a good gander through the rulebook yesterday - Nothing superduper exciting in the new lore, well, except one detail:

Iyanden is in the Naogeddon system...
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Fenris » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:44 pm

Seems the tie-in novel is painting a more...nuanced side to the primaris and guillipuff compared to the "rules" fluff

:geek:

Things might end up being a bit *censor*-ed up from the start
-
Fenris

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:49 pm

Having finished Guy Haley's Dark Imperium yesterday, the novel certainly adds a lot of... colour to the new lore. The Primaris do seem a bit tacky when in action, but I quite like the direction that the studio has gone for. Big shake-ups were certainly needed, and I'm all for an approach that is not the disaster that the End Times were for Warhammer Fantasy.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Squiggle » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:49 pm

I seem to be getting the new box on pre-order. And I confess a certain childish excitement once again. The new direction and commitment GW has towards its fans is certainly a welcome change, as is the involvement of Jervis Johnson in the new ruleset.

Good to see.

And I am a big fan of the foetid bloat drone.
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Xisor » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:45 pm

Yep, it's grand. I caught the interview with Phil Kelly and Andy .... King? I forget, they were interesting though
Not really speaking to my tastes directly, or as cryptic as if like, but they're allowing a great deal of room to play in and scope to evoke interesting things.

----

Myself, I keeping reviewing a 'ragged delegation from Terra' idea - a little force of IG, Storm Troopers, Deathwatch, Sisters of Silence and maybe even Custodes forging out from Terra on a madcap adventure into horror. It's involve acquiring three SC boxes, amongst other things, but I'm quite fond of the idea...

A who's who of people (literally) overshadowed by these Primaris greenhorns...
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Major Rawne » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:44 pm

I too have the bug for 8th Edition. Got a little broken chapters concept brewing. However I don't really have the room or the funds to be starting an army anytime soon, though will likely pick up the rule book to see what it's all about.
Major Rawne

Postby Fenris » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:04 pm

https://www.facebook.com/WarhammerTVtea ... 791053305/

Primaris still seem fishy :D

(My local gw store was giving away one interceptor with a WD purchase...The models are honestly lovely,even as snapfit)
-
Fenris

Postby Squiggle » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:15 pm

well my box should be here this week. I'm likely to get the new Black Library tie-in novel, and just get on with it. Be nice to get back into some serious hobbying and writing!!

I just wish I had more time!

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:43 pm

Didn't Deanna Troi have something to say about time?
And behind was Chun the Unavoidable.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Rob P » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:16 pm

I'm slowly getting lured in, but I suffer from special snowflake syndrome, so i'm torn between primaris Word Bearers in pre-heresy colours (let's face it they'll look like the Space Wolves in the dark grey) or primaris Astral Claws. I'm also conflicted by the obvious lore conflict this creates and the fact that primaris will be the FOTMY.

Obviously, Orks look tasty too and race x and race y.
Rob P

Postby Xisor » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:51 am

I'm still focussed on a DW-y binge, but in terms of Primaris I'm think a "full, brutal replacement" of the Astral Knights (though a boring colour scheme), or Storm Giants with the headcannon that they've been Salamanders Primaris all along (e.g. since day 0 - even their Salamanders-successor regular Marine HQ might never have set foot within the Nocturne system...) - one of the early 'field trials of the program.

(Which makes Third War for Armageddon difficult, but I like the idea of convoluted reasons for having them never appear directly in person whilst other people are about...)
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Squiggle » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:22 pm

Spoiler: there is an interesting comment in Dark Imperium which hints at the idea that the Imperium still has gene samples from the now traitor legions... and Cawl is convinced he can remake them without the faults that led to their downfall. Gulliaman flatly refused to countenance it, which makes sense. but it does leave open the possibility of a pre-heresy primaries colour scheme.

but it is very fluffy to have Crimson Fists or Scythes of the Emperor in primaris marines for obvious reasons. I do love the Crimson Fists scheme but GW seem to have discontinued the transfers for them!

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Xisor » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:31 pm

Side-note: Aliette De Bodard on Twitter was mentioning a massive 'problem' that hugely undermines a lot of speculative fiction - purity of blood.

I was watching a YouTube video about (also titled such) the Fantastic Masculinity of Newt Scamander - and it hit something neat too, that resonates back through a lot of BL fiction (though is hardly unique) Newt isn't de-facto special. He's from an unremarkable family, his "gifts" aren't fated - merely competence and quirks.

In that respect - and in some of 40k's defence, it's interesting that it is argued as legit - there are demonstrable genetic flaws (Black Dragons, for example) but they're not entirely linked to foregone conclusions. Indeed, even the Inquisition & Creeds on 40k are varied on the topic: sometimes attesting that corruption is *always* a choice, sometimes that even the innocent (or even inanimate) can become corrupt by proximity.

It'd be really interesting to hear quite a 'low key'/practical take on 40k's genetics and heritage - perhaps even foing so far as to really exploring that the lineage of the First Founding is nothing more or less than the Aristocrates Astartes.

----

Man, I'm happy with *that* angle for some Primaris!
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Rob P » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:53 pm

@Xisor: Sounds like a prompt for a discussion!

@Squiggle: I heard the spoiler thing, but ... dunno. I'm trying to go for something quite specific. I like the traitor characters on the turn. There is something really interesting about Lorgar (especially since ADB got involved) and I like all the ambiguity with the Astral Claws.
Rob P

Next

Return to Worlds of Warhammer