Ask... JONATHAN GREEN

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Ask... JONATHAN GREEN

Postby Xisor » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:25 pm

Address all your questions to JONATHAN GREEN here.

PLEASE AVOID ANSWERING A QUESTION UNLESS THE AUTHOR HAS HAD A CHANCE TO DO IT FIRST!

Also, please note these are not general discussion threads. The clue's in the name.

Thanks.

Jonathan Green's official Black Library page can be found here.

---

The Opening Question

Just finished Iron Hands, a quality book that thoroughly enjoyed. Many interesting concepts covered in the book with the very pleasing aspect of faiths taking somewhat of a centre stage in the finale.

So, with that in mind, I'd ask a question or two!

1- The more common take on Space Marines is that they're religious in a very ancestor-worship, often spiritual way, but they tend towards atheism when it comes to, say, the God-Emperor: he's a very great and very significant man, to be obeyed and venerated, but not a god, as such. The Iron Hands, however seem to be very on-board with both Machine Cult aspects and, to my surprise, the holy God-Emperor style thinking/praise. How deep do you think this extends? Is it something that, for you, sets them apart in another manner more than just being often in cahoots with the Mechanicus?

2- The so-called Iron Fists make somewhat of a cameo in the story. Gdolkin muses on the nature of their role in the original/important events at Cruicible. Do you yourself have a clear idea behind the 'truth' of what Gdolkin was skirting? Did he hit the nail on the head, perhaps, or were his musings quite far from the mark? (Or is it inconclusive inasmuch as it is a deliberate, not-to-be-explained mystery?)

Again, cheers for a very enjoyable read! :D (And now to delve back into the Pax Britannia/Quicksilver omnibus!)
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Re: Ask... JONATHAN GREEN

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:29 pm

Oh, does JG frequent the boards?

/news :o
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Xisor » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:46 pm

(He does indeed. If you look at this scene, closely, you can see him foraging for soor plooms just behind the shrubbery. :) )
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Jon Green » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:14 am

Hi Xisor

Sorry for the delay in replying...

Anyway, in answer to your questions:

1) Please bear with me here - it's about 7 years since I wrote Iron Hands! - but I wanted to make sure the Iron Hands came across differently from other Space Marine chapters and the Mechanicus, despite having clear links with both. I think that for Space Marines who, as you rightly say, admire and venerate but (importantly) do not worship the Emperor of Mankind, the workings of machine-spirits would involve another degree of understanding altogether and one that they do not possess in the same way an enginseer would. Hence the cult aspects of their veneration of the Omnissiah.

2) I had the whole backstory of the Iron Fists worked out and they were to appear (after a fashion) in the requested yet uncommissioned sequel Iron Hands: Ex Machina. Shame really. I think you might have enjoyed where I went with the Iron Fists.

Hope that answers your questions. And I'm glad to hear you're getting into the Pax Britannia books. Please drop by my blog some time or my forums and let me know what you think of them. You can find them here:

www.JonathanGreenAuthor.com
http://jonathangreenauthor.freeforums.org/
http://www.JonathanGreenAuthor.com - the offical website of author Jonathan Green
Jon Green

Postby Jon Green » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:15 am

shadowhawk2008 wrote:Oh, does JG frequent the boards?

/news :o

Yes, I do. Just didn't realise I'd made it onto the official Ask the Authors board!
http://www.JonathanGreenAuthor.com - the offical website of author Jonathan Green
Jon Green

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:21 am

the standard is really low with regards getting a thread here, Pyro has one and her book isn't even out yet and could still prove to be an elaborate lie in order to win our love.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Jon Green » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:36 pm

schaferwhat‽ wrote:the standard is really low with regards getting a thread here

Thanks for that! :geek:
Jon Green

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:43 pm

Jon Green wrote:Yes, I do. Just didn't realise I'd made it onto the official Ask the Authors board!

(Best Deckard Cain voice) "Stay a while and listen!"
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Pyroriffic » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:11 pm

Jon Green wrote:
schaferwhat‽ wrote:the standard is really low with regards getting a thread here

Thanks for that! :geek:

I repeat myself from Twitter earlier.

You learn to ignore him.

:)
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby Jon Green » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:47 pm

Thought some of you might like to know that I've just got my next BL commission. ;)
Jon Green

Postby Mortemer » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:04 pm

Has to do with something you've written about in the past or something new?
Mortemer

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:09 pm

Jon Green wrote:Thought some of you might like to know that I've just got my next BL commission. ;)

SQUATS!

Finally, about time someone did them.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Jon Green » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:15 pm

Mortemer wrote:Has to do with something you've written about in the past or something new?

Something new; a Chapter I haven't written about before.
Jon Green

Postby Xisor » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:02 pm

Glad to hear it, Herr Green!

Jon Green wrote:
Mortemer wrote:Has to do with something you've written about in the past or something new?

Mentors Legion? Also, will this mean it's a contribution to the SMB series, or to a Favourite Recipes of the Space Marines opportunity?

(Can we know their founding?)
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Jon Green » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:03 pm

Um... Not sure how much I can tell you at the moment. So I'm just going to have to leave you on tenterhooks for now I think.
Jon Green

Postby LordLucan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:10 pm

Jon Green wrote:

Rainbow warriors.

I think we have our answer. :P
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:14 pm

got to have succulent reader flesh don't you.

Space Sharks Lucy, obviously Space Shark.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Jon Green » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:55 pm

All good ideas! (Shall make a note of them just in case for the future.)
Jon Green

Postby Mortemer » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:46 pm

If I understood correctly, this will be a proper novel, right? No short story, audiodrama, novella etc.
Mortemer

Postby Jon Green » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:24 pm

Mortemer wrote:If I understood correctly, this will be a proper novel, right? No short story, audiodrama, novella etc.

I can tell you that it's a short story. ('Short' here meaning '10,000 words long' a.k.a 'as long as a university dissertation'.)
Jon Green

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors