Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

Postby JMSwallow » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:40 pm

Some brief bloggage on the Angels of Death stories here: http://jamesswallow.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/games-day-angels-of-death-vigil.html

Liliedhe asked about Brother Tarikus:
Liliedhe wrote:

Spoiler: Is he from the sea tribes or the mountains? Because it says mountains in The Returned and Vigil seems to hint at the sea. /obsessive fangirlism :mrgreen:

Spoiler: He's a mountain guy (from the "desolate crags") but the natives of Gathis all have a very strong connection to the sea (hence the "black sands" reference).

JMSwallow

Postby Liliedhe » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:45 pm

JMSwallow wrote:Some brief bloggage on the Angels of Death stories here: http://jamesswallow.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/games-day-angels-of-death-vigil.html

Liliedhe asked about Brother Tarikus:
Liliedhe wrote:

Spoiler: Is he from the sea tribes or the mountains? Because it says mountains in The Returned and Vigil seems to hint at the sea. /obsessive fangirlism :mrgreen:

Spoiler: He's a mountain guy (from the "desolate crags") but the natives of Gathis all have a very strong connection to the sea (hence the "black sands" reference).

Thanks for the answer :) . Now I feel like a stalker :P
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby JMSwallow » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:45 am

Just an FYI: I'll be appearing at the MCM London Comic Con this Saturday at the Black Library booth.

More details here: http://jamesswallow.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/im-at-mcm-london-comic-con-london_21.html
JMSwallow

Postby Liliedhe » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:39 pm

I've finally gotten round to listening to Red and Black. Very interesting, but once 'the Red' appeared, I got paranoid ;)

Spoiler: Because in Crimson Night, the enemy is also referred to as "the Red". But weird cultists can't have anything to do with cloned warriors from a world trapped inside a warp storm... Or can they?

"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:34 am

Congrats on making the NYTBS list for the third time, Jim! Much deserved!
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby JMSwallow » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:29 am

New thing out this weekend - a Dante ebook short for the advent calendar....

http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/advent-day-fifteen-dante-lord-of-the-host.html

More Blood Angels to follow before the end of the month...
JMSwallow

Postby Liliedhe » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:43 am

The story was awesome :). Did you write the character file, too? *points to new sig* :mrgreen:
Liliedhe

Postby JMSwallow » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:59 am

Liliedhe wrote:The story was awesome :). Did you write the character file, too? *points to new sig* :mrgreen:

Thanks; and no, I didn't.
JMSwallow

Postby JMSwallow » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:54 pm

JMSwallow

Postby Liliedhe » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:30 pm

Spoiler: It was very nice to see Koris again. :)

And rather ironic that he actually saw the Sanguinor, while Rafen uses his example to disbelieve its existence.

Also, the Sanguinor is Azkaellon, right? Because, Glaive Encarmine here, Glaive Encarmine there. Or is there more than one?

And merry Christmas and happy holidays to you, Sir. :mrgreen:
Liliedhe

Postby JMSwallow » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:52 pm

Liliedhe wrote:

Spoiler: Also, the Sanguinor is Azkaellon, right? Because, Glaive Encarmine here, Glaive Encarmine there. Or is there more than one?

Spoiler: Nope, and nope. :D

JMSwallow

Postby Liliedhe » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:13 pm

:P That was very mysterious.

Spoiler: Well, I have a second theory, too, but that is far too tinfoil-hatted to post it.

Ah, whatever: *dons tinfoil hat*

„If you hear this, know my oath. I swear upon the Legion, whose honour you have upheld, that your noble sacrifice will be repaid. You will not end in silence.’“

:mrgreen:

Liliedhe

Postby JMSwallow » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:35 pm

I found this Star Wars vs Horus Heresy book commerical amusing...

http://youtu.be/433gBIm8lnk
JMSwallow

Postby reds8n » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:19 am

Hope all is well with you and yours.

On a few occasions I've heard you and some of the other authors make reference to "holographic storytelling".

Is there any chance you could possibly elaborate on quite what this means ? I think I get it but a wee bit more clarification would be much appreciated.
reds8n

Postby JMSwallow » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:36 pm

reds8n wrote:Hope all is well with you and yours.
On a few occasions I've heard you and some of the other authors make reference to "holographic storytelling".
Is there any chance you could possibly elaborate on quite what this means ? I think I get it but a wee bit more clarification would be much appreciated.

Holograms are objects where, if you view them from different angles, you see different pieces of them. We try to do this from a narrative standpoint with the Horus Heresy saga.

So, let's say you read ten HH books, a bunch of shorts and some audios. Then you go back to the start and read them again. When you revisit those earlier stories, you'll be (metaphorically) viewing them from a different angle, and you'll see something in them that might not have been apparent to you the first time around. At least, that's the intention.

"Holographic storytelling" is a short-hand phrase to describe how we're attempting to craft not just single stories/novels/etc but a larger mythology with connections, nuance and depth that rewards our readers, with each tale building on the last and foreshadowing elements of those yet to come. Or something.

Here's a great quote from Dan Abnett where he gives his take on the idea: http://youtu.be/6qHhXfA25Io?t=7m56s. He credits me with the concept, bless 'im, but I didn't invent the term.
JMSwallow

Postby JMSwallow » Thu May 14, 2015 12:36 pm

JMSwallow

Postby sam vimes » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:42 pm

Hiya James a simple yes no question are you working on the new Deus-ex game story wise at all?
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby JMSwallow » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:37 am

sam vimes wrote:Hiya James a simple yes no question are you working on the new Deus-ex game story wise at all?

Yes.
JMSwallow

Postby sam vimes » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:25 pm

JMSwallow wrote:
sam vimes wrote:Hiya James a simple yes no question are you working on the new Deus-ex game story wise at all?

Yes.

Awesome just gotta wait for release now thanks dude now how do I avoid spoilers on the net lol
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

My new thriller novel NOMAD is out!

Postby JMSwallow » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:34 pm

A quick drive-by OT post here to let everyone know that I have a new, non-tie-in book out this week, a modern day action-thriller from Bonnier Zaffre called Nomad , which Neverborn gave a very nice review to over on Track of Words...

Neverborn wrote:
So it's not actually a BL book, but here's my review of James Swalow's latest novel. Always interesting to read something non-BL by one of the familiar names.
Nomad by James Swallow
https://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2016 ... s-swallow/

If you'd like to know more, click here:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nomad-Explosive-Thriller-Youll-Rubicon/dp/1785760416/

The book is out now in hardcover and ebook formats, with a limited-time offer on the digital version for under a £1 - I hope you'll check it out!
JMSwallow

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors