Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

Postby JMSwallow » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:21 am

shadowhawk2008 wrote:
JMSwallow wrote:
Bloody Mary wrote:I was thinking--in the Flight of the Eisenstein Grulgor says Typhon is from Barbarus, but I had somebody argue with me that can't be true, because he was also a Librarian and that means he had to be from Terra. Does it mean Grulgor is misinformed or does it mean that Mortarion didn't disband the Librarians right away?


Whoemever argued with you is wrong, because Grulgor was not a Librarian.


I believe Bloody Mary is referring to Typhon/Typhus being a Librarian, not Grulgor.


ah-doy. :?

Mis-read that, thanks for the correction.

Typhon was a librarian in the original lore; this was tweaked in later versions of the story to be less specific - he's a psyker, but not an "official" one, as it were. Having psychic powers doesn't mean he can't be from Barbarus; the suggestion from the lore is that Typhon is half-human, the child of a liason between a Barbaran citizen and one of the "overlords", and that may be the source of his psyker abilities.

In my mind, Typhon has always been from Barbarus, but he was never officially a "librarian".
User avatar
JMSwallow
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:27 pm


Re: Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:30 am

JMSwallow wrote:The suggestion from the lore is that Typhon is half-human, the child of a liason between a Barbaran citizen and one of the "overlords", and that may be the source of his psyker abilities.

Now that is an interesting possibility. The scant information we have on the Overlords of Barbarus makes it seem like they were almost demigods, similar to Daemons and such, and that such things would be physically impossible. I wonder if that could be why Typhon was able to survive the Destroyer Hive and no other Death Guard were.

I do have a question for you JMS. It's been sometime since we've heard anything about your current/future projects. Are you currently working on the Fall of the Death Guard novel or something else? And is there a possibility in the near future of more Rafen?


LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
User avatar
Lord of the Night
 
Posts: 3244
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 pm
Location: The Warp


Re: Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

Postby JMSwallow » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:55 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:I do have a question for you JMS. It's been sometime since we've heard anything about your current/future projects. Are you currently working on the Fall of the Death Guard novel or something else? And is there a possibility in the near future of more Rafen?


Hey, thanks for asking. I've been working on some NDA'd videogames projects that I can't discuss at the moment, and I recently delivered The Poisoned Chalice, a Star Trek novel that'll be out toward the end of the year.

In terms of Black Library stuff, I've got two Space Marine stories (Blood Angels and Doom Eagles) coming up in the Angels of Death series. I've written a synopsis for a "Fall of the Death Guard" story, which BL are currently sitting on; we've discussed some more Horus Heresy projects (more Garro stories, more Blood Angels) and a Space Marines Battles novel. I have plans for more Rafen stories, too. But right now, there's nothing concrete...
Last edited by JMSwallow on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
JMSwallow
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:27 pm


Re: Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

Postby Liliedhe » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:37 pm

Does that mean a return of Tarikus? :)
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
User avatar
Liliedhe
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 6:26 am
Location: Vienna, Austria


Re: Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

Postby JMSwallow » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:08 am

Liliedhe wrote:Does that mean a return of Tarikus? :)


Keep a Vigil...
User avatar
JMSwallow
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:27 pm


Re: Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

Postby JMSwallow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:57 am

User avatar
JMSwallow
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:27 pm


Re: Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

Postby Xisor » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:23 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:
JMSwallow wrote:The suggestion from the lore is that Typhon is half-human, the child of a liason between a Barbaran citizen and one of the "overlords", and that may be the source of his psyker abilities.

Now that is an interesting possibility. The scant information we have on the Overlords of Barbarus makes it seem like they were almost demigods, similar to Daemons and such, and that such things would be physically impossible. I wonder if that could be why Typhon was able to survive the Destroyer Hive and no other Death Guard were.


I can't remember if it was yourself, Jim, or someone else that first brought it to my attention, but there was quite a compelling argument that the Overlords of Barabarus were 'dark Eldar'. I use the small-d as they wouldn't be 'modern' Dark Eldar for quite a while, and so close to the fall, they'd be more akin to the rampaging self-obsessed hoodlums that caused the fall. If the Overlords were, say, a sort of splinter pre-modern Haemonculus coven that'd set itself up in realspace...

Well, Barabarus starts to make a lot of sense. Typhon being the result of that sort of... shenanigans.... there's a pleasing quality to it all. Well, pleasing and horrific.

Moreover, it's a nice nod to that foremost of Marine psykers, the historically half-Eldar Tigurius of the Ultramarines! ;)

So, is that the sort of thing you're angling at with the Overlords?
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
User avatar
Xisor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4955
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:13 pm
Location: Canterbury


Re: Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

Postby JMSwallow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:09 pm

Xisor wrote:I can't remember if it was yourself, Jim, or someone else that first brought it to my attention, but there was quite a compelling argument that the Overlords of Barabarus were 'dark Eldar'.

<snip>

So, is that the sort of thing you're angling at with the Overlords?


Nah, it wasn't me who brought up the Dark Eldar/Overlords idea... In fact, I recall asking the collective hivemind if anyone had any actual lore references for where that idea stemmed from. Never got any leads, though - but if anyone out there does know, post it here. I'd be interested to see...

Were the Overlords alien? My gut feeling is no, just because I think it's more interesting that they were once human...
User avatar
JMSwallow
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:27 pm


Re: Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

Postby Liliedhe » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:11 pm

I only can quote Black Library Live, where it was said that they were Insectoids.
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
User avatar
Liliedhe
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 6:26 am
Location: Vienna, Austria


Re: Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

Postby Bloody Mary » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:32 pm

Liliedhe wrote:I only can quote Black Library Live, where it was said that they were Insectoids.


JMSwallow wrote:
Xisor wrote:I can't remember if it was yourself, Jim, or someone else that first brought it to my attention, but there was quite a compelling argument that the Overlords of Barabarus were 'dark Eldar'.

<snip>

So, is that the sort of thing you're angling at with the Overlords?


Nah, it wasn't me who brought up the Dark Eldar/Overlords idea... In fact, I recall asking the collective hivemind if anyone had any actual lore references for where that idea stemmed from. Never got any leads, though - but if anyone out there does know, post it here. I'd be interested to see...

Were the Overlords alien? My gut feeling is no, just because I think it's more interesting that they were once human...


What if the Overlords were humans who genetically-engineered themselves to be insectoids? /fail biology
User avatar
Bloody Mary
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:48 pm


Re: Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

Postby JMSwallow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:31 pm

Liliedhe wrote:I only can quote Black Library Live, where it was said that they were Insectoids.


Who said that?
User avatar
JMSwallow
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:27 pm


Re: Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

Postby Xisor » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:51 pm

JMSwallow wrote:
Xisor wrote:I can't remember if it was yourself, Jim, or someone else that first brought it to my attention, but there was quite a compelling argument that the Overlords of Barabarus were 'dark Eldar'.

<snip>

So, is that the sort of thing you're angling at with the Overlords?


Nah, it wasn't me who brought up the Dark Eldar/Overlords idea... In fact, I recall asking the collective hivemind if anyone had any actual lore references for where that idea stemmed from. Never got any leads, though - but if anyone out there does know, post it here. I'd be interested to see...


Good old circularity on my part then! As memory serves, nothing at all actually gives indisputable (or even vaguely implicating) clues to dark eldar. DE fit, but are also rather 'on the nose' for evil overlords, and requires the Eldar to be doing a bit more direct-application tyranny than seems to be their way. Rejecting them, it offers up the vista a bit for the lesser-known Xenos (or outright unknown), as well as 'worst monsters of them all: humans' too.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
User avatar
Xisor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4955
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:13 pm
Location: Canterbury


Re: Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:04 am

I always had them down as Corrupted (by chaos innit) faction of the original settlers myself. Not sure where I got the idea from though. But it sort of matches my idea that corruption started long before we noticed.
User avatar
schaferwhat‽
 
Posts: 2887
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:25 pm
Location: Behind your eyes looking out in terror.


Re: Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

Postby Liliedhe » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:53 am

JMSwallow wrote:
Liliedhe wrote:I only can quote Black Library Live, where it was said that they were Insectoids.


Who said that?

That is a bit of a problem. I don't know, I can just point out the panel where it was said, which was the "New Product Preview Panel". There was a discussion of Primarchs etc, and at some point the talk switched to Primarchs and how some of them grew up rather damaged. The three most damaged primarchs, it was said, were Angron, Curze and Mortie, and when the reason for Mortie was explained it was - in a throwaway line - mentioned the Warlords were insectoids. I did take notes of this, and it was the only panel I did so. Also, pretty much the only panel I visited as I spent most of the time standing in line for signatures ;).
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
User avatar
Liliedhe
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 6:26 am
Location: Vienna, Austria


Re: Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

Postby JMSwallow » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:54 am

Liliedhe wrote:
JMSwallow wrote:
Liliedhe wrote:I only can quote Black Library Live, where it was said that they were Insectoids.


Who said that?

That is a bit of a problem. I don't know, I can just point out the panel where it was said, which was the "New Product Preview Panel". There was a discussion of Primarchs etc, and at some point the talk switched to Primarchs and how some of them grew up rather damaged. The three most damaged primarchs, it was said, were Angron, Curze and Mortie, and when the reason for Mortie was explained it was - in a throwaway line - mentioned the Warlords were insectoids. I did take notes of this, and it was the only panel I did so. Also, pretty much the only panel I visited as I spent most of the time standing in line for signatures ;).


Huh.

Thanks for the info...
User avatar
JMSwallow
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:27 pm


Re: Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

Postby David Earle » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:41 pm

Given the conditions on Barbarus and Nurgle's fondness for flies, that doesn't leave out the "once a man" idea. ;)
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
User avatar
David Earle
 
Posts: 1274
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:36 am
Location: Annapolis, MD


Re: Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

Postby JMSwallow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:03 am

David Earle wrote:Given the conditions on Barbarus and Nurgle's fondness for flies, that doesn't leave out the "once a man" idea. ;)


Your point is well made...
User avatar
JMSwallow
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:27 pm


Re: Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

Postby reds8n » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:53 am

was just wondering ( well hoping more really) if we might possibly see in the HH series the beginnings of some of the plots you touched upon in "Faith and Fire" -- which ( along with its "sister" book) was cracking, more please :D -- strikes me as the sort of thing that maybe Garro/similar might get involved in or with ?
User avatar
reds8n
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:48 pm


Re: Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

Postby JMSwallow » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:39 am

reds8n wrote:was just wondering ( well hoping more really) if we might possibly see in the HH series the beginnings of some of the plots you touched upon in "Faith and Fire" -- which ( along with its "sister" book) was cracking, more please :D -- strikes me as the sort of thing that maybe Garro/similar might get involved in or with ?


Thanks for the comments, I have an idea of a 3rd Sisters of Battle novel that I'd like to get to at some point... As for references of 40K stuff in the HH era, that is a cool idea and I'm sure if it fits organically in a story, I'd do it.
User avatar
JMSwallow
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:27 pm


Re: Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

Postby Liliedhe » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:22 am

They really kept me waiting right to the end for the Tarikus story ;) But I've read it now. Very nice. The Doom Eagles have such an optimistic world view :P but of course they have a point (or five) there.

Loved to see the poor guy being awesome for once :).

Hm, just wondering...

Spoiler: Is he from the sea tribes or the mountains? Because it says mountains in The Returned and Vigil seems to hint at the sea. /obsessive fangirlism :mrgreen:

"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
User avatar
Liliedhe
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 6:26 am
Location: Vienna, Austria

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest