Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

Postby Pyroriffic » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:58 pm

Address all questions to JAMES SWALLOW in this thread.

PLEASE AVOID ANSWERING A QUESTION UNLESS THE AUTHOR HAS HAD A CHANCE TO DO IT FIRST!

Also, please note these are not general discussion threads. The clue's in the name.

Thanks.

James Swallow's official Black Library page can be found here.

The original 'Ask James' thread can be found at the site archive here.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Re: Ask... JAMES SWALLOW

Postby JMSwallow » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:38 pm

Hmm, nice. I like what you've done with the place.
JMSwallow

Postby Pyroriffic » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:20 pm

I am glad that I meet with your approval.
Pyroriffic

Postby Duke_Leto » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:50 am

James - liking the new Bolthole home! Question for you:

I hear your next Horus Heresy novel is likely to be "Fear to Tread" and concerns the Blood Angels activity in the Signus Cluster (if that is the case then woooh looking forward that THAT). So my question is "when do you expect this to be published?" oh and also I should probably check "are these 'facts' correct?"

Thanks
Duke_Leto

Postby Raven » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:39 pm

Will Fear to Tread be a full HH Blood Angels novel.
And will Roldoron feature as a main character, it would be good to see him more explored in a book.

I hope it is you that is writing about the Blood Angels in the Horus Heresy, it makes better sense since you have already given us some good fiction regarding those red chaps. I finshed Black Tide sometime ago and really enjoyed the story I felt from reading you explored rafen far more with his last outing creating a good character. I was also glad you brought the flesh tearers back into the fold. Though I have to admit I would really like to see more of the Angels Sanguine I am a lot more interested in them.
Raven

Postby JMSwallow » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:48 pm

Duke_Leto wrote:I hear your next Horus Heresy novel is likely to be "Fear to Tread" and concerns the Blood Angels activity in the Signus Cluster (if that is the case then woooh looking forward that THAT). So my question is "when do you expect this to be published?" oh and also I should probably check "are these 'facts' correct?"

Ah, m'lord Duke. Many dangers exist on Arrakis...

These things are true; if all goes well, and the creek don't rise, I'm hoping you'll see Fear To Tread some time in late 2012.
JMSwallow

Postby JMSwallow » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:51 pm

Raven wrote:Will Fear to Tread be a full HH Blood Angels novel.

As in "full of Blood Angels"? Yes. You may see some supporting characters from other legions here and there as well, but it's a Blood Angel story all the way.

And will Roldoron feature as a main character

Raldoron will play an important role in the story.
JMSwallow

Postby Raven » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:22 pm

JMSwallow wrote:
Raven wrote:Will Fear to Tread be a full HH Blood Angels novel.

As in "full of Blood Angels"? Yes. You may see some supporting characters from other legions here and there as well, but it's a Blood Angel story all the way.

And will Roldoron feature as a main character

Raldoron will play an important role in the story.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question.

I will be really looking forwards to this story. One thing with your Horus Heresy fiction is that its leagues apart from your 40k stories, You seem to have the ability to tell a really well written story in the Horus Heresy.

Anyhow Thanks for your reply.
Raven

Postby JMSwallow » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:50 pm

Ah, plus la change, as the French say. Less than 24 hours on the new board and I got Blood Angel questions and my first passive-aggressive insult. *heh*
JMSwallow

Postby Diatribe » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:51 am

Mr. Swallow, quick question:

Are there plans (however distant they might be) to venture back into the Blood Angels territory to continue telling Rafen's tale, or has that page been turned & time to tell others tales? I, for one, would love to read about the "What happens next?" (as per the events in the last book).

Also, a quick thanks to you, as after a roughly 10-15 year absence from reading (and although a desire to start reading again) the one thing that sparked my re-ignition into doing so once more, was your book (the Deus series collected in the Blood Angels Omnibus). Now I'm on my 5th Omnibus, several solo books also read with 4 more Omnibus waiting in the wings! Keep up the good work.
Diatribe

Postby Razhbad » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:35 am

Dear Jim

Why did you make the decision to include the Red Angel within you HH story. Is it just the demand of people constatntly acking about him
Razhbad

Postby JMSwallow » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:17 pm

Diatribe wrote:Are there plans (however distant they might be) to venture back into the Blood Angels territory to continue telling Rafen's tale, or has that page been turned & time to tell others tales? I, for one, would love to read about the "What happens next?" (as per the events in the last book).

Last year's Games Day chapbook (Bloodline) touched on Rafen's ongoing storyline post-Black Tide, and I fully intend to write more 40K era Blood Angels stories - it may be a little while yet, though, as I have a 2nd Sisters of Battle and 3rd Horus Heresy to write first.

Also, a quick thanks to you, as after a roughly 10-15 year absence from reading (and although a desire to start reading again) the one thing that sparked my re-ignition into doing so once more, was your book (the Deus series collected in the Blood Angels Omnibus). Now I'm on my 5th Omnibus, several solo books also read with 4 more Omnibus waiting in the wings! Keep up the good work.

I am very pleased to hear that. Welcome back!
JMSwallow

Postby JMSwallow » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:21 pm

Razhbad wrote:Why did you make the decision to include the Red Angel within you HH story. Is it just the demand of people constatntly acking about him

The "Red Angel" was something I came across quite a while back in the Collected Visions art book when I was first writing my notes for the Signus Prime novel; I discussed it with the HH crew at one of our meetings and we all liked the idea of making the character a figure in the ongoing storyline - so it was a nice bit of synchronicity when readers started asking about who he was.
JMSwallow

Postby JMSwallow » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:10 pm

Just FYI, if you'd like to hear me enthusing about writing for Black Library, check out the latest podcast from SeanHammer, who interviews me right here: http://seanhammer.podbean.com/2011/03/0 ... chine-god/
JMSwallow

Postby Ilmarinen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:39 pm

Here's a question for you about the characters in Blades of the Traitor (the artwork featuring the Red Angel in Collected Visions) - does Alan Merritt have the backstory for each characters presence roughly mapped out, or did Sabretooth chuck some 'unexpected' extras in there.

Some of the characters are pretty obvious (Horus, Kelbor Hall, Fulgrim etc) but the presence of the Red Angel and Ahriman are a bit, well unexplained, by the stories we've heard so far.
Ilmarinen

Postby paulus » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:20 pm

hi james

maybe me being a bit stupid but is the planet in garro legion of 1 istvan?

really enjoyed it anyway and was great to meet you at black library live
paulus

Postby Pyroriffic » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:46 pm

Dear Jim

What would catduck do?

Also, can I ask you the hair question? ;)

Love,

Sarah
(In silly mode)
Pyroriffic

Postby Dark Angel » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:50 pm

Seeing as the thread on the old forum was closed, I'll reply to your last post here! :)

First, though - I'm going to apologise if I'm being an irritant, especially if I have asked the same question over and over again!

I have actually listened (Partially.) to an audio - Raven's Flight - But about half way through, I found that my attentions began to wander onto other things. And then, I began to forget certain things and since then, I haven't returned to it. That was only a few weeks ago, if that long of a time span.

My attention span isn't very long, and my memory when it comes to these things is shameful. Even when it comes to books, I like to read back over the previous chapter before starting a new one, just to jolt my memory. It's a stupid reason as to why I dislike the audios, really.

I'd love to be able to enjoy the audios, but much like Schafe mentioned on the old thread - I haven't been able to find the time nor place where I can sit down and enjoy them.
"I say, Mosley, what is your movement's attitude towards birth control?" Mosley drew himself up to his
full height, hands on hips, and looked the young man up and down, before replying:
"After looking at you, I should think the question of birth control comes about twenty
years too late. Next question, please." The questioner subsided into his seat, and the
meeting continued to a triumphant conclusion. There were no further interruptions.
Dark Angel

Postby JMSwallow » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:41 pm

Ilmarinen wrote:Here's a question for you about the characters in Blades of the Traitor (the artwork featuring the Red Angel in Collected Visions) - does Alan Merritt have the backstory for each characters presence roughly mapped out, or did Sabretooth chuck some 'unexpected' extras in there.
Some of the characters are pretty obvious (Horus, Kelbor Hall, Fulgrim etc) but the presence of the Red Angel and Ahriman are a bit, well unexplained, by the stories we've heard so far.

I'm not sure, but I don't think there's backstory for all those characters; for example, I'm in the process of writing about the Red Angel and Aaron created a backstory for Ingethel the Ascended.
JMSwallow

Postby JMSwallow » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:46 pm

paulus wrote:hi james

maybe me being a bit stupid but is the planet in garro legion of 1 istvan?

really enjoyed it anyway and was great to meet you at black library live

Thanks, dude. Yes, it is; Garro says so (track 13, 4 mins 10 seconds).
JMSwallow

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors