Ask... NATHAN LONG

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: Ask... NATHAN LONG

Postby Kayvaan Shrike » Tue May 17, 2011 1:21 am

WHAT no G+F in october. what will i do for my b4 xmas reading.
Darkness there and nothing more
Kayvaan Shrike

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Just to confirm, Bloodsworn is the third Ulrika novel correct? And could you tell us more about this novel?
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Nathan Long » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Hi Shadowhawk,

Yes, Bloodsworn is the next Ulrika novel, and in it, Ulrika returns to Nuln to save Gabriella from Sylvanian agents. She doesn't, however, get the prodigal's welcome she'd hoped for.

That's all I'm saying for now, other than it's the bloodiest, most brutal novel of the three.

Look for it next June!
Nathan's Books
-Blackhearts Omnibus
-Orcslayer, Manslayer, Elfslayer, Shamanslayer, Zombieslayer
-Battle for Skull Pass
-Bloodborn
-Bloodforged

Nathan's Blog!
Sabrepunk.com
Nathan Long

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:03 pm

Nathan Long wrote:Hi Shadowhawk,

Yes, Bloodsworn is the next Ulrika novel, and in it, Ulrika returns to Nuln to save Gabriella from Sylvanian agents. She doesn't, however, get the prodigal's welcome she'd hoped for.

That's all I'm saying for now, other than it's the bloodiest, most brutal novel of the three.

Look for it next June!

Good one sir! Will be waiting for this! The Ulrika books are definitely at the top of my shopping list :)
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby Xisor » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:16 pm

Ahem, SH, I think you're missing a rather important thing there. ;)

Congratulations on the (second) Scribe award, Mr Award Winning Long! 8-)

That in mind, and it might be a bit of a silly question, but how do you feel with the Ulrika novels? Now that you're two down, any vague bits from earlier which are haunting you, or is it all coming together nicely, or something else more mysterious and enigmatic? (Or mundane!?)

Anyhow, a fine congratulations again to you!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 pm

I ain't forgetting since I already congratulated him on facebook :)

shadowhawk2008

Postby sam vimes » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:30 pm

been reading the early slayer shorts and was wondering what do you regard as the duos indvidual strengths and weakness?
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Nathan Long » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:11 pm

@Xisor, Thanks! It was great to win that award against such stiff competition!

The Ulrika series is coming together nicely. Fortunately, I did a fair bit of planning before starting on the first one, so no big surprises in the third one. There were one or two things I thought I was going to be able to do that got nixed at the last minute, but they were minor sub plots, so they didn't affect the main story.

@Sam, good question. I think Bill did a great job making sure Gotrek and Felix's strengths and weaknesses balance each other, and I have tried to keep to that balance since. Gotrek's strengths are his singleminded determination and his... uh, strength. His weakness is his narrowness of focus. When there is a doom in sight he has no regard for the safety of those around him.

Felix's strengths are his compassion and his forethought. He's the one who worries if everyone else is going to get out alive, and who wants to help the victims of the 'big bad.' He is the brakes on Gotrek's runaway train.
Nathan's Books
-Blackhearts Omnibus
-Battle for Skull Pass
-Bloodborn
-Bloodforged

Nathan's Blog!
Sabrepunk.com
Nathan Long

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:15 pm

Hey Nathan,

Having finally gotten into the Gotrek and Felix series, i've been missing out :D, I wanted to ask you a few questions about the future of the series.

1. Do you have plans to bring Grey Seer Thanquol back, he keeps getting older and more decrepit, not that i'm complaining, quite the opposite in fact, Thanquol is my favourite Fantasy villain and I really want to see more of him. Plus I get the feeling that if anybody is going to kill Gotrek and Felix, it'll be Thanquol.

2. Do you have an idea of what the next G&F novel will be?

3. Since Thanquol and Ulrika have both gotten their own, popular, spin-off series, do you think any other G&F characters have the potential for a spin-off? I think Max Schreiber could make a good trilogy, his adventures fighting Chaos.

4. Do you think Heinrich Kemmler and Krell could become recurring villains?

5. Is it a possibility that Gotrek and Felix may one day face a Tomb King? That would be a great battle.

Thanks in advance.

Lord of the Night
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Nathan Long » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:33 am

Hiya LotN,

Glad you're enjoying the Gotrek and Felix series, and I'll do my best to answer your questions, though I'm afraid a lot of it is going to be pretty vague.

1 - I would love to bring Thanquol back. I am not yet sure how or when he's coming back, however.

2 - I'm afraid I don't know what the next Gotrek and Felix novel will be. The next thing in the pipeline is the Gotrek and Felix anthology, but beyond that, I'm not sure what's up. It is still in discussion.

3 - I think you could do a great Max series. I'm not sure about Snorri novels, however. I'm not sure he could carry a whole novel, but I bet there could be some great and funny Snorri short stories. Those are only my opinions, however. I don't know if anything is being planned.

4 - Hmmm. Not sure about that one. The problem is, they can't be killed, since they're named characters in the game, so it makes it hard to put them up against Gotrek. You're always going to have an ending where they get away - and that's Thanquol's job.

5 - I've pitched that to the bosses more than once. I'd love to see it too.
Nathan's Books
-Blackhearts Omnibus
-Battle for Skull Pass
-Bloodborn
-Bloodforged

Nathan's Blog!
Sabrepunk.com
Nathan Long

Postby Xisor » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:53 pm

Nathan Long wrote:5 - I've pitched that to the bosses more than once. I'd love to see it too.

Kingslayer? An autobiographical account about how you stole them out, by murder most foul, from 'neath Mr King? :lol: I look forward to them finally picking it up!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:55 pm

Nathan Long wrote:Hiya LotN,

Glad you're enjoying the Gotrek and Felix series, and I'll do my best to answer your questions, though I'm afraid a lot of it is going to be pretty vague.

1 - I would love to bring Thanquol back. I am not yet sure how or when he's coming back, however.

2 - I'm afraid I don't know what the next Gotrek and Felix novel will be. The next thing in the pipeline is the Gotrek and Felix anthology, but beyond that, I'm not sure what's up. It is still in discussion.

3 - I think you could do a great Max series. I'm not sure about Snorri novels, however. I'm not sure he could carry a whole novel, but I bet there could be some great and funny Snorri short stories. Those are only my opinions, however. I don't know if anything is being planned.

4 - Hmmm. Not sure about that one. The problem is, they can't be killed, since they're named characters in the game, so it makes it hard to put them up against Gotrek. You're always going to have an ending where they get away - and that's Thanquol's job.

5 - I've pitched that to the bosses more than once. I'd love to see it too.
1. Ah good. Thanquol is the best, and i'd sat most dangerous, villain G&F have ever faced. Chiefly because he is still alive when Dragons, Giants, Orc Warlords, Chaos Champions and Greater Daemons are all dead. But I think its his unwillingness to give up, despite that the two constantly best him due to their skill, the incompetence of those Thanquol works with and sometimes good luck, he still won't give up on his quest to horribly kill them.

2. Ah that'll be good to read.

3. Snorri Nosebiter could make some interesting short stories but he isn't the kind of character that suits a full novel. Max though, I think a series about his war against Chaos could be very good if the right author picks it up.

4. Hm that's true. Though I didn't know that Krell was a named character though, cool. Perhaps they may cross paths with G&F again one day, but they couldn't be the chief antagonists again I suppose.

5. That sounds cool. Gotrek and Felix in a Khemrian Tomb fighting Tomb Guard, a Necrosphinx and a Tomb King commanding it all is an awesome image.

Xisor wrote:
Nathan Long wrote:5 - I've pitched that to the bosses more than once. I'd love to see it too.

Kingslayer? An autobiographical account about how you stole them out, by murder most foul, from 'neath Mr King? :lol: I look forward to them finally picking it up!
That's what I would have suggested for a title. Kingslayer would be very fitting for a Tomb King based adventure.

I actually have another question, this ones a bit more involved. Gotrek and Felix have faced most of the chief villains of Fantasy, by that I mean the creatures and villains that come to mind when you are asked to name the most dangerous being/creature in that race. Skaven = Grey Seer, Orcs = Orc Warboss, Chaos = Chaos Lord/Greater Daemon, and a Dragon for magical creatures.

My question is, since most of these have been used, do you think that Gotrek and Felix would go into the lesser known but just as dangerous creatures such as Chaos Dwarves, Manticores, Ghosts, Lizardmen, or other things along those lines? Or would they continue to face the more known villains like Daemons and Chaos Lords?

I challenged myself to come up with possible Gotrek and Felix titles and the idea behind them, assuming that the villains they've already faced, or at least the type of villain, would not take centre stage again. I came up with two that I wanted to ask you if these could ever be possible, particularly the first one as the idea of Order vs Order is an one that interests me greatly.

Knightslayer: This would be an interesting one, as it could mean a Bretonnian Knight. I wonder if it would ever be possible for Gotrek and Felix to fight a champion from a faction that, while not the greatest of friends, is on the side of Order with the Empire and the Dwarves. The Knights of Bretonnia are cruel to those they lord over, and Felix would definitely take offence to it. Perhaps an evil knight, or a Blood Dragon. They have already faced a vampire but a Blood Dragon is more of a dark knight than a vampire lord.

Dwarfslayer: This could mean two things, both would be very interesting. G&F could go up against the Chaos Dwarves and their infernal machines, seeing how such a personal foe affects Gotrek would definitely be revealing. Or perhaps a regular Dwarf gone bad, the decision to slay a fellow Dwarf would be just as colossal for Gotrek, to have to strike down somebody who should be his kin.

Lord of the Night
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Nathan Long » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:11 am

LotN,

A little bit of both, I would imagine, but I can't say or speculate what's coming next at the moment.

Nathan
Nathan's Books
-Blackhearts Omnibus
-Battle for Skull Pass
-Bloodborn
-Bloodforged

Nathan's Blog!
Sabrepunk.com
Nathan Long

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:06 pm

Kingslayer would fit in with the ever constant (I don't know where it originated from however, I want to say Bill but I have no evidence to back that up) that the last G&F book would be entitled Kinslayer.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Lord of the Night » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:16 pm

schaferwhat‽ wrote:Kingslayer would fit in with the ever constant (I don't know where it originated from however, I want to say Bill but I have no evidence to back that up) that the last G&F book would be entitled Kinslayer.
That's a cool title. I always imagined the last G&F novel would be called Godslayer though.

Lord of the Night
Lord of the Night

Postby sam vimes » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:01 pm

LOTN Ito would like to see Gotrex go up against the Chaos Dwarfs be nice to see how the most extreme and faction of Dwarf society reacts to thier dark kin, although if you can Mr Long try and arrange a second round between Gotrex and the Blood thirster that nearly killed him, although I wouldn't want to say who would win in a fight between your keeper of secrets in Elf Slayer and said High handed slayer in Daemon Slayer, that looks like it might go to the judges as just because Slaanesh's main skill is not combat don't mean he can't kick arse when he puts his/her mind to it.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Nathan Long » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:16 am

Thanks, Sam!

I too would like to see Gotrek run up against some Chaos dwarfs. We'll see what the bosses allow.
Nathan's Books
-Blackhearts Omnibus
-Battle for Skull Pass
-Bloodborn
-Bloodforged

Nathan's Blog!
Sabrepunk.com
Nathan Long

Postby davij038 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:45 am

Well, ogre kingdoms has been re-released so there's always them on the way to killl chaos dwarfs.

BTW loved Bloodborn keep up the good work!
davij038

Postby Nathan Long » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:33 am

Davij, sort of touched on that in Red Snow, which was in the Death and Dishonour anthology. Not an Ogre, but something from the army book, and it was in the Mountains of Mourn.
Nathan's Books
-Blackhearts Omnibus
-Battle for Skull Pass
-Bloodborn
-Bloodforged

Nathan's Blog!
Sabrepunk.com
Nathan Long

Postby Eroldren » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:00 am

Read the news on the blog, congrats on getting your first original novel being sold and to it's future follow-up! May Jane Carver of Waar prove fruitful!
"Behind our efforts, let there be found our efforts."
Eroldren

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors