Ask... NATHAN LONG

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Ask... NATHAN LONG

Postby Pyroriffic » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:56 pm

Address your questions to NATHAN LONG in this thread.

PLEASE AVOID ANSWERING A QUESTION UNLESS THE AUTHOR HAS HAD A CHANCE TO DO IT FIRST!

Also, please note these are not general discussion threads. The clue's in the name.

Thanks.

Nathan Long's official Black Library page can be found here.

The original 'Ask Nathan' thread can be found at the site archives here.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Re: Ask... NATHAN LONG

Postby Nathan Long » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:01 am

Hello, all. Made it through the warp. What did I miss?
Nathan's Books
-Blackhearts Omnibus
-Orcslayer, Manslayer, Elfslayer, Shamanslayer, Zombieslayer
-Battle for Skull Pass
-Bloodborn
-Bloodforged

Nathan's Blog!
Sabrepunk.com
Nathan Long

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:21 pm

we thought you were dead. The memorial service was very moving.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Having been into town today, I fancied a lok-see in W H SMith. Lo and behold, I found a copy of Bloodborn. Despite several large events between buying it four hours ago and now, I am halfway through. Hat off to you sir. Without spoiling the second book, is there to be a third? I do so love Ulrika already....
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby Nathan Long » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:04 pm

I'm touched, Schafe, truly.

Corrigan, thanks for picking up Bloodborn! Glad you're enjoying it. And yes, there will be a third. I just turned in the final draft last month. Should be out June of next year.

Let me know what you thought of Bloodborn once you finish it!
Nathan's Books
-Blackhearts Omnibus
-Battle for Skull Pass
-Bloodborn
-Bloodforged

Nathan's Blog!
Sabrepunk.com
Nathan Long

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:27 pm

Oh I will. I started it on the bus home and almost missed my stop! It is engrossing!! :D
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby Nathan Long » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:46 pm

Eep!

Bit of an unfortunate typo at the top of page 146 in Bloodforged. Soul. Soul was the word I intended.
Nathan's Books
-Blackhearts Omnibus
-Battle for Skull Pass
-Bloodborn
-Bloodforged

Nathan's Blog!
Sabrepunk.com
Nathan Long

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:22 pm

Flicked through to aforementioned page on Bloodforged...so there is.

anyhow, Just this moment finished Bloodborn. How could you!? HOW COULD YOU!! :D In the most respectful way possible, I hate you sir. :mrgreen: I am now opening the pages of Bloodforged. Damn you for instilling me with this love for Ulrika....I shall now have to start the G & F novels to read more of her once I'm done this. What have you done to me.

Incidentally....do you have the third books plot/characters nailed to the wall/written in stone, yet?
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:58 am

Literally just closed the last page of Bloodforged. Wow. Truly incredible. For the second time you've led me on and YET AGAIN manage to flip my world upside down with how it turns out.

You say June 2012 for the third Blood- book? (If I'm correct in assuming it'll continue in the first two's naming style)

I can only hope Ulrika survives the third book (and thus meaning you can write further tales of her).

On a less serious, more hopefull note; can I be her swain(or be given the dark kiss so I can be with her)? Seriously, kudos on capturing her essence so well....as a reader you really drew me in and made me care for her, every step of the way. Bravo.

(Cleans up after his fan-boy gushing. Apologies)
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby Nathan Long » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:40 am

Corrigan, thanks! Glad you liked it! Very good to hear that you could empathize with her all through the story.

Bloodsworn will indeed be out next June, and as long as everyone buys 10 copies each, there might be more after that. So save your pennies.

Thanks again!
Nathan's Books
-Blackhearts Omnibus
-Battle for Skull Pass
-Bloodborn
-Bloodforged

Nathan's Blog!
Sabrepunk.com
Nathan Long

Postby sam vimes » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:25 pm

I'm curious will gotrex ever be introducing some chaos dwarfs to business end of his axe as bizzzarely I dont think I myself have ever come a story of dwarfs scrapping with thier dark counterparts, same for the elves as well.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Nathan Long » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:46 am

Hey Sam,

I think there was some Dwarf vs. Chaos Dwarf action in Gav's dwarf book, Grudge Bearer, but I could be remembering wrong. As for Gotrek fighting Chaos Dwarfs, I've certainly thought about it, but there isn't anything like that on the immediate horizon.

Nathan
Nathan's Books
-Blackhearts Omnibus
-Battle for Skull Pass
-Bloodborn
-Bloodforged

Nathan's Blog!
Sabrepunk.com
Nathan Long

Postby Razhbad » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:24 am

Dear Nathan

As with Gotrek and Felix you have had several old characters returning, have you ever thought of say Teclis making a reappearence?
Razhbad

Postby Nathan Long » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:39 pm

I have indeed thought about bringing Teclis back, but as far as I know there are no plans to bring him back any time soon.
Nathan's Books
-Blackhearts Omnibus
-Battle for Skull Pass
-Bloodborn
-Bloodforged

Nathan's Blog!
Sabrepunk.com
Nathan Long

Postby Lord of the Night » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:22 pm

Ser Long,

While i've never actually read anything of yours, Gotrek and Felix just doesn't appeal to me, I am planning to get Bloodborn once Bloodforged is released, i'd like to read them back to back. I have only two questions.

1. What are you currently working on?, the only book I recall you've mentioned is the third Ulrika novel Bloodsworn.

2. What/who aside from Gotrek, Felix and Ulrika are you interested in working on, are there any characters/battles/devisings of your own that you are interested in penning?

Lord of the Night
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Nathan Long » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:10 pm

Lord... or should I say, m'lord,

Thanks for giving Bloodborn and Bloodforged a chance. I hope you enjoy them!

As to your questions, I am currently working on a new novel for the Warhammer Heroes line, though at this time I am not at liberty to reveal which hero I'm writing about. And other things I'd like to write about? Well, aside from the few non-BL side projects I'm fiddling with, I do have some ideas for future Warhammer writings. I'd like to get back to writing from an Empire POV, and I'd like to explore Imperial history more. The time of the Three Emperors has always fascinated me.

Anyway, there's nothing definite, but BL and I are tossing around a bunch of ideas at the moment. We'll see what lands on the plate.
Nathan's Books
-Blackhearts Omnibus
-Battle for Skull Pass
-Bloodborn
-Bloodforged

Nathan's Blog!
Sabrepunk.com
Nathan Long

Postby Lord of the Night » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:29 pm

Nathan Long wrote:Lord... or should I say, m'lord,

Thanks for giving Bloodborn and Bloodforged a chance. I hope you enjoy them!

As to your questions, I am currently working on a new novel for the Warhammer Heroes line, though at this time I am not at liberty to reveal which hero I'm writing about. And other things I'd like to write about? Well, aside from the few non-BL side projects I'm fiddling with, I do have some ideas for future Warhammer writings. I'd like to get back to writing from an Empire POV, and I'd like to explore Imperial history more. The time of the Three Emperors has always fascinated me.

Anyway, there's nothing definite, but BL and I are tossing around a bunch of ideas at the moment. We'll see what lands on the plate.
Aha one who dwells in the darkness, your homage pleases me :)

I think I shall from what i've been told so far, those whose opinions I trust on books at Heresy Online have wholeheartedly recommended Bloodborn, and Bloodforged looks to be very promising.

Hm that is interesting. I don't suppose you could tell us which faction said hero belongs to?, though i'm going to guess the Empire.

The Three Emperors ey?, that is an interesting time period. Reminds me of George R.R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, nobles proclaiming themselves kings/emperors and going to war with each other, and none of them are likely good candidates.

Personally the Empire period I want to read about is the Great Invasion and Magnus the Pious, a man with common sense. A rarity in the grim world of Warhammer.

Lord of the Night
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Nathan Long » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:35 pm

Nope, not Empire...
Nathan's Books
-Blackhearts Omnibus
-Battle for Skull Pass
-Bloodborn
-Bloodforged

Nathan's Blog!
Sabrepunk.com
Nathan Long

Postby Big Barney Ross » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:39 pm

Hello, Mr. Long.

Unfortunately, I have not yet gotten my hands on any of your novels (this will be corrected in the near future), so I cannot discuss them, but I do have some general questions nonetheless.

I have been browsing through your blog, and while reading your info I've found out that we share some common tastes, in literature as well as in other forms of art - music and films. Since I too am a fan of Asian cinema, as well as their music scene (particularly heavy metal/visual kei), I was just wondering what are your favorite musicians/bands, films, actors or directors from the Far East?

And finally, out of all the characters created by Robert E. Howard, who is your favorite, and why?

Thank you.
Go home. Just go.
Big Barney Ross

Postby sam vimes » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Nathan Long wrote:Hey Sam,

I think there was some Dwarf vs. Chaos Dwarf action in Gav's dwarf book, Grudge Bearer, but I could be remembering wrong. As for Gotrek fighting Chaos Dwarfs, I've certainly thought about it, but there isn't anything like that on the immediate horizon.

Nathan

Bugger :( thanks for answering oh well still like to see him have another scrap with the blood thirster from Daemon Slayer and looking forward to the next novel from you, with them going to Karak Kardin (hope I spelt the slayer city right) will they be paying a visit to any old battle fields on the way and/or the mountain were Felix finally proved he wasn't useless jk lol and

Spoiler: killed the dragon

and any chance of a Black hearts short/novel at all on the near future?
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors