Ask... C L WERNER

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: Ask... C L WERNER

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu May 30, 2013 8:46 pm

Carandini wrote:I think you'll enjoy where Vanhal goes in the next books. In many ways he's a tragic figure and presents a great counterpoint to his apprentice, Baron Lothar von Diehl, in the second book.

Speaking of von Diehl, the smaller format features art of him but the new paperback has an entirely different cover art.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Cus ... 73x627.jpg

Is that Lothar von Diehl as well??

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby pedrobedo » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:13 pm

Hi Herr Werner,

Just wanted to say so glad that your novel Blighted Empire is out soon. Bought all pre release available novels at the Weekender (attended your seminars the people who went to HH don't know what they missed) and have been having withdrawal symptoms since November waiting for your next novel. Nobody in my opinion encapsulates the darkness in Warhammer like you.

Hope also to see more 40k, Siege was awesome.

PS Matthias and Streng could definitely do with learning about and getting to grips with Carandin!!

Thanks for the hours of enjoyable reading
pedrobedo

Postby Blinded » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:46 pm

Yo! Herr Werner.

Just finished Black Down, your piece in Victories of Space Marines and it made me think " This is what makes Imperium a Grim and Dark place to be". The likes of Warbringers (who live up to their name at every level) are prime examples of this.

A question though

Spoiler: That relic pistol was from days of the Great Crusade and before Luna Wolves became Sons of Horus, so where does the "Taint come from? Narrow views of the Imperium's agents or Will of the Dark Gods that marks everything related to their Arch-Champion?

Worm and W40K are both dieing worlds, but while Worm is barely managing to avoid getting swallowed up, 40K is trying to stab Death in the eye with a chainsaw. - .IronSun.
Blinded

Postby Carandini » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:20 am

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen. It is appreciated, please know that. i apologize for the long wait, but I delivered Blighted Empire past my deadline and that caused havoc with the release schedule. Several factors which I won't go into and none of which are excuses in any event.

I agree, it'd be nice to do some more with Thulmann and Brunner for that matter. Be sure to let the BL know you'd like to see more.

I'd also really like to do some more with the Warbringers. As for the question, I think it is open to interpretation. Makes what was done even more unsettling that way.
Carandini

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:45 am

Hey C.L,

With last night's surprise news from BL I simply have to ask. Are you the one writing the coming Archaon novel??

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Carandini » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:17 am

Nobody mentioned anything to me. I do think Archaon is long overdue for a book or preferably a trilogy. Not sure I'd be the best one for the job though.
Carandini

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:01 pm

Hi C.L,

I have finished Wolf of Sigmar and loved it, but I have some questions that I really want to know the answer to.

Spoiler: 1. Did losing Mirella make Mandred decide to never love again, like Sigmar did with Ravenna? Or did he wed Countess Carin and just not father an heir with her?

2. Is there any chance of future short stories for this series? Because there are two i'd really like to see. The fate of Lothar von Diehl and Vanhal's spirit, and the assassination of Mandred by Nartik Blackblade.

3. Drakkdrazh seemed much weaker in Vrrmik's hands than Kurgaz Smallhammer's, I remember the narrative in BE describing a Skaven hit by the hammer as being pulped as if something vast and moving had smashed into it whereas in WoS the hammer seems to simply send enemies flying or break limbs, is that because Vrrmik couldn't use the ancient rune magic in it or did his alterations to the hammer make it weaker?

4. Are the Elves in the story a tribe of Wood Elves or are they High Elves that found their own way onto a similar path? Also, loved the Laurelorn's early appearance, even creepier than the Drakwald for being nice-looking.

Thanks for what you can answer. And also, the Black Plague trilogy is without a doubt my favourite of the Time of Legends series and one of my favourite fantasy series period. I can't wait to see what your next work will be. :D

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby Carandini » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:25 am

Hello amigo, I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can:

Spoiler: 1. I think for the welfare of the Empire, Mandred did eventually marry. Why he didn't sire an heir could be anybody's guess. Maybe some sinister conspiracy to prevent an Ulrican dynasty?

2. I'd really like to tackle Mandred's assassination as a short story. I think the final fate of Lothar von Diehl would be better carried out in an entire novel though. The background establishes that an order of knights, guided by Vanhal's ghost, drives von Diehl from Vanhaldenschlosse. Could make a cool novel in its own right.

3. That was one thing I thought would really play up the skaven angle as corruptors. Vrrmik seizes Drakdrazh, makes all these heinous 'improvements' to it and ends up ruining much of the weapon's rune magic. Skaven don't seem to believe in the old mantra of not fixing something that isn't broken.

4. The elves of the Laurelorn are in a curious spot midway between the high elves and those in the Athel Loren. They represent a similar survival as the wood elves, but obviously in a different setting and have been forced to make their own way.

Hope I was able to help and glad you enjoyed the series.
Carandini

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:29 pm

Hey C.L,

Got a question that I hope you can answer, or give a vague answer that tacitly confirms it without actually confirming it, but is it possible that you will be writing any future Malus Darkblade books? I ask because you wrote the latest piece containing him, the short story in the Weekender anthology, and Graeme Lyon said that Darkblade would return but "When and how, and written by whom, I can't say."

I take it from his statement that Mike Lee isn't Darkblade's author anymore, and since you were the last person to write Darkblade I am very curious if you will be penning the future Darkblade adventures. (I do hope so.) :D

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby Xisor » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:49 am

First up: brilliantly done. As per the Thanquol trilogy, I think the Black Plague might be one of my most-ballyhooed sets of books I'll have the fortune to yammer away about for the next decade or two. Unrelentingly decent novels. (Also [almost] unrelentingly grim, but I suspect you had an inkling of foreknowledge in that.)

In any case, my main question:

Spoiler: That bee. The witch or the humble vengeance of Rhya and Taal?

Given dramatic timing, fickleness and the mentioned 'oneness' and affinity the peasants have for the land, I find it most apt to suppose it's the latter.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Carandini » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:22 am

Unfortunately, i can't discuss the novel I just started writing a few weeks ago :(

As for the question about divine influence, I lean towards the supernatural rather than the holy explanation. I did have a bit more planned with Taal/Rhya however, but for reasons of pacing I had to drop that particular character from the narrative.
Carandini

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:18 pm

Carandini wrote:Unfortunately, i can't discuss the novel I just started writing a few weeks ago :(

Curses! Well here's hoping it's either more Thanquol and Boneripper or anything 40k (The Emperor's Warbringers deserve their own novel.)

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:57 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Deathblade-Malus- ... 849707995/

I will count the days until this is in my hands, I can read it and tell you how much I love it.

Thank you for bringing the first fantasy hero/anti-hero/heroic villain that I ever read back. I genuinely mean that. Malus will always be dear to me for being the first fantasy series I ever read.

http://www.amazon.com/Curse-Phoenix-Cro ... 861&sr=1-5

If you tell me this book or series is about Tethlis the Slayer, I won't stop smiling for ages. (He's the only Phoenix King Post-Caledor II that seems worth a series or a book of his own.)

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby Anakwanar » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:48 am

Malus Malus Malus http://www.amazon.com/Deathblade-Malus- ... 849707995/
Malus by Clint Werner - my dreams come true 8-)
Anakwanar

Postby Carandini » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:09 am

Thank you gentlemen. Hopefully I can deliver a story that is a worthy addition to the epic started by Herren Abnett and Lee.
Carandini

Postby sam vimes » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:13 pm

If its anything like tea sock or the brunner adventures you'll hit us for six Clint hope we get to see that damned rogue Hauclir
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Lord of the Night » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:36 pm

Greetings Herr Werner,

The cover for Deathblade looks great, though the blurb was surprising;

Deathblade wrote:It has taken decades, but Malus Darkblade has finally plotted, schemed and murdered his way to power, as the ruler of the city of Hag Graef and general of the Witch King Malekith's armies. But his position is imperilled when Malekith orders an all-out assault on Ulthuan - with Darkblade in the vanguard. As he wages war on the high elves, Darkblade must decide where his loyalties lie - will he follow Malekith to the death, or will he finally rise up and try to claim the throne of Naggaroth for himself? And either way, will he survive?

So this novel doesn't tell the rest of Malus' quest to reclaim his soul from T'zarkan, but rather is set after that when Malus is the Vaulkhar of Hag Graef. Does this mean the new series will focus on new adventures with Darkblade rather than re-telling the comics??

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby Carandini » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:18 am

You'll have to wait and see, I fear. I can't really disclose any of the details.

Although i would mention that the vaulkhar isn't the master of Hag Graef. That would be the drachau.
Carandini

Postby Fenris » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:43 pm

Since we are in the End times and everyone that has a famous name is showing up,i have to ask this totally out of the blue question:

Spoiler: Gilles le Breton is back
The master vampires are showing up one after another

Will we ever see what was the deal between Aborash and Gilles hinted in The Red Duke?

Also,is the red duke going to show up?He was strangely absent while Bretonnia was half-destroyed by the undeads :lol:

I admit that the idea of him siding with the living has crossed my mind,more so now that the bloodline of Aquitaine seems broken

Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:50 pm

I actually have a question about the End Times as well;

Spoiler: With Seerlord Kritislik slain by the Horned Rat for being a failure, is there any chance that the next Seerlord will be a familiar face?? And if so is there any chance of a book detailing what he gets up to in the End Times??

Thanks,

LotN
Lord of the Night

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors