Ask.... DAVID GUYMER

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: Ask.... DAVID GUYMER

Postby WarlordGuymer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:15 pm

Hi LoTN,

First off, I'm sorry that there was anything left unclear at the end. I deliberately didn't try to explain every mystery, but I hope that that didn't make for too unsatisfying a conclusion. Ok, here goes...

Spoiler: 1. What exactly was Hurrlk? You're correct. he was in my notes as Packlord Hurrlk though I don't think he was ever called by that in the actual story. The warpstone meteor corrupted him, body and mind, and led to his becoming the Beast. I'd originally planned top have a sequence of shorts at the start of each chapter, running backwards in time from the present to before the meteor fell showing how Morzanna and the Beast became what they became and also how they came to know each other. As it was though i just didn't have the space for it. That book in your hand is already about 20% more book than your average :). The reason we got to see more than one of him at the is that time is meaningless in the City of the Damned. As when Felix realises that Morzanna can be both young and old at the same time and as Be'lakor says to Gotrek just after the Beast reappears (remember he also killed one earlier): 'What is death Slayer, when time has no meaning?'

2. Morzanna. More time-wibbliness. When Felix meets the young girl Mori, we're seeing the village as it was just before Magnus the Pious arrived to purge them, whereas the Morzanna commanding the forces of Chaos from Be'lakor's temple is the woman that that girl grew up to become. It's hinted at by Felix, but it's also kind of mentioned in a little bit of Morzanna's inner monologue towards the end. With Nikolaus, the White Lady was his name for who he'd seen in his dreams (she's pale and has white hair you see!). Towards the begining, Felix says that he's been having nightmares featuring a woman and Nikolaus tells Rudi about his. In Morzanna's inner monologue (that again...) it's explained that her scrying beyond the mists spreads nightmares wherever she looks but that, in so doing, she was able to communicate and to influence, as she did with Konrad. Perhaps she did so with Felix and Nikolaus as well? But that's not said.

3. What exactly happened when the sun hit Mordheim? Schlanger and others talked about how the damned march on Sigmarshafen by night, so that was basically all that bad mojo coming back to haunt the city. And as Magnus the Pious burnt them all, that means fire! Also... it was cool. The idea was that everything that HAD been burned was aflame, sort of like a spirit-echo if you will. I believe that Rudi observes something along those lines while he's watching the place go up from the 'safety' of his garret window. And of course, no fire across the mists where everything changes.

4. What was the fog barrier? It was kind of representative of the spirits of the damned, as well as a barrier between the 'now' when Felix and co. first arrive into the city and then mixed up 'thens' where the shit really gets weird closer to Be'lakor's prison on the other side of the river

5. What happened during the ritual with Felix, Rudi and Nikolaus? It was the damned; all the pious souls of Mordheim that hadn't been corrupted by Be'lakor or by their centuries of damnation. And they were freed because Morzanna had not completed the ritual to pull Mordheim back into the present, but she had been able to free Be'lakor and, hence, the other damned souls as well

6. Why was Morschurle aware he was dead but nobody else was? Because he was a seer like his daughter and could see things that others couldn't. Be'lakor promised that Morzanna would survive and she did, because I think that while daemons will twist and distort they will keep their promises and not outright lie - they're too clever to need to. Morzanna made her own choice to serve Be'lakor (twice in fact).

7. What did Rudi and Konrad hope to accomplish by staying to die in the city? Right on, crazy zealot thing. They wanted to tend to the last few lost souls and black horrors and bring the place back to Sigmar

8. What did Schlanger mean when he said that by tomorrow G&F wouldn't remember anything, and did he intend to stay in the city too? Or had he become trapped in it? That was harking back to Felix's journal at the very begining - he's been having a recurring dream about visiting the City of the Damned, but he's not sure whether or not it was true. Those that cross the mists suffer for their passage across time. I think Felix mentions it after his first crossing, as does Morzanna when she's contemplating Hurrlk's madness

I hope that explains a few things. I'm just sorry they needed explaining. There's a valuable lesson here in writing about time travel...
WarlordGuymer

Postby WarlordGuymer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:41 pm

I've just read your review: who was the character you liked that you couldn't reveal for fear of spoliers?
WarlordGuymer

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:24 pm

WarlordGuymer wrote:I've just read your review: who was the character you liked that you couldn't reveal for fear of spoilers?

That would be Be'lakor. I really enjoyed his dynamic with Golkhan, he is both the master and servant at the same time. He commands Golkhan for the purpose of the ritual but at the same time is subservient to him in his role as the Crowner, always the Crowner never the Crowned. And I liked his attitude towards the Gods and service, that it doesn't end with death and that he is beyond the Gods despite only being a Daemon Prince. Of course he's no ordinary Daemon Prince but he isn't a God, yet or perhaps never. I think if Be'lakor had become a Chaos God he would be the Chaos God of freedom, the kind of freedom that comes from breaking your chains to a mortal existence and serving none but yourself and Be'lakor, which is the kind of cosmic irony that Chaos loves.

Interesting answers, a good chunk of the book makes more sense to me now. And there's no need for apologies, I did enjoy the book despite being unclear on parts of it. And i'm quite looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us next, I don't suppose that's something you can talk about yet?

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby WarlordGuymer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:43 pm

Kind of...

I've just finished a dwarf novella, which (by the extreme tightness of deadline) will hopefully be coming out in the not-too-distant future. There's also a Tomb Kings short story that I've just put the finishing touches too. That one's been doing the editorial rounds for some time now - I last saw it shortly after finishing Headtaker, I think!

That's pretty much that for the 'coming soon' as I've just started on a new fantasy novel, which is going to be the next few months of my life. It's exciting me so hopefuly in a year's time at least one other person will feel some of that!
WarlordGuymer

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:08 pm

Hey there,

Saw the news a little bit ago about Gotrek and Felix. May I say congratulations to you David, and I look forward to reading more of G&F's adventures, especially now that you can bring in the secondary cast that the series has built up. I do have one or two questions though.

1. What made you decide on another timeskip? Now with Felix married to Kat and Gotrek off adventuring on his own, and Snorri with the priests of Grimnir as you said in your interview, it could provide a very interesting dynamic for Felix. Now he has an actual reason to live rather than just recording Gotrek's doom. And also how long will this timeskip be?

2. Will the main series stick with the -slayer titles? And if so how do you plan on keeping each one new even though by this point Gotrek and Felix have met and fought nearly all of the main villains/monsters/etc of Warhammer?

3. Is there any chance that Thanquol will return? I love that marginally-competent rat. (I'm being kind with the marginally there.)

4. Do you plan to use the wider character base, i.e Max, Kat, Ulrika, Snorri, etc. Or will Gotrek and Felix be on their own for a while as in the stand-alone adventures?

5. Does this mean that the stand-alone books are over, or will they continue? Though you and Josh were the only ones to write any, and with you doing this leaves only Josh.

Once again congratulations on taking over the series, and we're allowed to make requests I have only two. Please bring back Thanquol, and please don't kill Kat. I like her character and I think being in a relationship adds a great deal of possibility for Felix's character. :D

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby BL Graeme » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:21 pm

As David's editor on Kinslayer, I'm going to step in and answer these questions. (Sorry Dave!)

1. What made you decide on another timeskip? Now with Felix married to Kat and Gotrek off adventuring on his own, and Snorri with the priests of Grimnir as you said in your interview, it could provide a very interesting dynamic for Felix. Now he has an actual reason to live rather than just recording Gotrek's doom. And also how long will this timeskip be?

It was the most dramatically interesting option - as you note, it provides a cool new dynamic. As for how long it is, that would be telling. It also misses the point. The real question is not how long Felix has been away from Gotrek, but what draws him back...?

2. Will the main series stick with the -slayer titles? And if so how do you plan on keeping each one new even though by this point Gotrek and Felix have met and fought nearly all of the main villains/monsters/etc of Warhammer?

The titles... that would be telling. As for keeping them new... If I were you, I'd go back and search out previous quotes from myself, Laurie and the other editors from events where we've said what will happen if we move the series onwards. Remember this: you have been warned.

3. Is there any chance that Thanquol will return? I love that marginally-competent rat. (I'm being kind with the marginally there.)

Marginally-competent? Thanquol is mighty! Thanquol is the greatest grey seer to have ever lived! Clan Eshin shall hear of this outrage, man-thing.

4. Do you plan to use the wider character base, i.e Max, Kat, Ulrika, Snorri, etc. Or will Gotrek and Felix be on their own for a while as in the stand-alone adventures?

All of those names appear in the Kinslayer manuscript that's sitting on my desk. In what context, I couldn't possibly comment.

5. Does this mean that the stand-alone books are over, or will they continue? Though you and Josh were the only ones to write any, and with you doing this leaves only Josh.

There are two questions there. The answer to one of them is yes. (And it's worth noting that both Jordan Ellinger and Frank Cavallo wrote novellas that appeared in Lost Tales, and a host of Black Library luminaries have contributed short stories, any one of whom we'd be happy to see write a G&F novel.)

I have only two [requests]. Please bring back Thanquol, and please don't kill Kat. I like her character and I think being in a relationship adds a great deal of possibility for Felix's character.

Bring back Thanquol? Thanquol has never been gone. Foolish man-thing. And you'll find that the relationship between Kat and Felix is absolutely key to what happens in Kinslayer.
BL Graeme

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:18 pm

All of that sounds brilliant. Looking very forward to Kinslayer now, also hoping that we'll finally find out why Gotrek became a Slayer. Just a shame that what Josh added in Road of Skulls isn't part of the main story, it was a very surprising and cool revelation.

BL Graeme wrote:Marginally-competent? Thanquol is mighty! Thanquol is the greatest grey seer to have ever lived! Clan Eshin shall hear of this outrage, man-thing.

I think the Lords of Decay would disagree with you, fool-meat. (Hehe, never said I didn't love Thanquol. But if I were a Skaven I wouldn't want to work with him, or near him, or in the same area as him. But that's just me, I like living too much.)

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby WarlordGuymer » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:44 pm

I was just about to answer this and now I don't have to!

I was going to start with an apology for taking so long though, the reason being that I've been writing Kinslayer non-stop for the past 4-5 days to get it to Graeme for today, so I'll still get that in :)

And as Bill King once put it to me - Thanquol is awesome, he's just ever so slightly less awesome than he believes he is
WarlordGuymer

Postby BL Graeme » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:36 pm

I'm willing to say this one thing more about Kinslayer: if you don't get a bit upset towards the end, you have a heart of ice.

Picture this: a rakishly handsome young editor* sitting at his desk reading the final chapter of the manuscript, a single tear rolling down his cheek and splashing onto the page.

Yeah, that was me six hours ago. Guymer, you magnificent bastard.

*I'm setting this scene, so... shut up. :p
BL Graeme

Postby Pyroriffic » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:34 pm

You never call me anything that nice.

I'm wounded.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:23 pm

WarlordGuymer wrote:And as Bill King once put it to me - Thanquol is awesome, he's just ever so slightly less awesome than he believes he is.

Indeed. Whenever I need a reminder of how awesome Thanquol is I think about the time he almost pulled the Spirit of Grungi out of the air, using only sheer magical power. And the fact that, aside from Kemmler and Mannfred von Carstein, he is the only bad guy to meet G&F and live to squeak about it.

BL Graeme wrote:I'm willing to say this one thing more about Kinslayer: if you don't get a bit upset towards the end, you have a heart of ice.

Picture this: a rakishly handsome young editor* sitting at his desk reading the final chapter of the manuscript, a single tear rolling down his cheek and splashing onto the page.

Yeah, that was me six hours ago. Guymer, you magnificent bastard.

Oh... now I have a very bad feeling.

Spoiler: Either we find out how Gotrek truly became a Slayer, and it is the heartbreaking story that we've been imagining since that brief hint of it back when Bill King was writing them. Or Felix's new-found happy life is going to be ripped away from him. Or something else entirely...

Either way, commence the Single Perfect Tear;

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby WarlordGuymer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:22 am

Indeed. Whenever I need a reminder of how awesome Thanquol is I think about the time he almost pulled the Spirit of Grungi out of the air, using only sheer magical power.

Funny story, I was trying to explain to Master King at the last Weekender why Dragonslayer was my favourite of all the Slayer novels using that scene as my major argument and he didn't remember it at all. He did agree however that it sounded awesome ;)
WarlordGuymer

Postby Lord of the Night » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:38 pm

WarlordGuymer wrote:
Indeed. Whenever I need a reminder of how awesome Thanquol is I think about the time he almost pulled the Spirit of Grungi out of the air, using only sheer magical power.

Funny story, I was trying to explain to Master King at the last Weekender why Dragonslayer was my favourite of all the Slayer novels using that scene as my major argument and he didn't remember it at all. He did agree however that it sounded awesome ;)

My favourite is Daemonslayer, the reasons should be self-evident, and Beastslayer as a definite second. I think the biggest disappointment about the G&F series is that we never got to see what happened with Lurk Snitchtongue's rebellion. Beastslayer ends the Skaven segments with Thanquol's forces being charged by Lurk's, or charging at Lurk's.

Is there any chance that story will ever be finished in the series?

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby BL Graeme » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:27 am

It's not relevant to Gotrek & co., so probably not. It's pretty obvious how that ended, mind you, since Thanquol is still around...
BL Graeme

Postby sam vimes » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:49 am

Aww damn I liked were Lurk was going story wise
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby WarlordGuymer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:45 pm

The question of the 'best' Gotrek & Felix is as rich a seam of never-ending discussion as the 'best' Gaunts' Ghosts novel.

The answers are, of course, Dragonslayer and Straight Silver, and now I'm going to log-off and sit in a dark room with my fingers in my ears...
WarlordGuymer

Postby Lord of the Night » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:42 pm

WarlordGuymer wrote:The question of the 'best' Gotrek & Felix is as rich a seam of never-ending discussion as the 'best' Gaunt's Ghosts novel.

The answers are, of course, Dragonslayer and Straight Silver, and now I'm going to log-off and sit in a dark room with my fingers in my ears...

*Uses Psyker powers to force you to listen*

Daemonslayer and I don't read Gaunt's Ghosts so I have no idea which is the best.

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby Lord of the Night » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:52 pm

Hey David,

Well it's been leaked today. Slayer: Book II of The Doom of Gotrek Gurnisson by David Guymer. First off, congrats on the epic title and the even more epic cover-art. Seriously, this cover gives me chills;

But it does raise a question. Is this the final Gotrek and Felix novel?? Is the series closing on a duology?? I ask because of the title, Slayer. Not suffix-slayer, just Slayer. That feels like a finale title to me. (I always expected the final G8F book would be called Godslayer.)

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby WarlordGuymer » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:18 am

While the title was all my own hard work, I can't really claim credit for the artwork. Well... I can try.

As for the rest, I refer you to this Keeper of Secrets who represents me in all such matters
WarlordGuymer

Postby Mossy Toes » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 am

That... looks an awful lot like Be'lakor.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors