Ask.... DAVID GUYMER

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Ask.... DAVID GUYMER

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:11 pm

Address your questions to DAVID GUYMER in this thread.

PLEASE AVOID ANSWERING A QUESTION UNLESS THE AUTHOR HAS HAD A CHANCE TO DO IT FIRST!

Also, please note these are not general discussion threads. The clue's in the name.

Thanks.
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Re: Ask.... DAVID GUYMER

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:16 pm

Hey David,

I saw that you joined the bolthole and had to start this topic as I have quite a few questions for you. Mainly regarding Headtaker. First of all, thank you so much for writing it. Queek Headtaker really deserves a novel and it's great to see that he's getting one. Now if we can just get Tretch Craventail his own novel of backstabbing and intelligent cowardice then the Horned Rat will be pleased.

But my questions are as follows,

1. In the extract I noticed that Queek seems surprised that the Dwarfs were warned about his attack, but he always warns them ahead of time so that he can have sport. Has that changed? Or did he just forget about warning them in his madness?

2. What made you decide to have Queek as a deranged character? The army book doesn't paint the picture of him being insane, yet his cameo in Thanquol's Doom and Voices clearly show that he is unhinged, even by Skaven standards.

3. Is Headtaker set after Queek got screwed over by Thanquol or before? And if it's after will he remember it?

4. Is there the possibility of other Skaven TT characters making a cameo?

And I have a question regarding your coming G&F novel, City of the Damned.

5. Is the City of the Damned in question Mordheim?

Thanks in advance for what you can answer. I've not read anything by you yet, but i'm looking forward to both your offerings very much. :D

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby WarlordGuymer » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi there, You've obviously read one of mine if you'd read Voices :) If you did then I hope you liked it, but to the questions...

1) You're quite correct. As described in the army book, he likes to forewarn his enemies so as to demonstrate the full might of Queek. I thought that there was great story potential in that and worry not, hilarious consequences ensue.

2) I'd originally intended Queek to simply be an arrogant, bloodthirsty and seemingly fearless hater of dwarf-things. There's a Digital Monday short story coming soon-ish called The Karag Durak Grudge where I'd originally written him this way but then, of course, I read Thanquol's Doom that introduced us to psycho loon Queek. I should send CL Werner some choclolates because I love crazy Queek. Crazy Queek gave me a 400+ page rollercoaster of insane killing mayhem and I'd have him no other way!

3) Sort of yes, but not in any direct way. I couldn't let the great Grey Seer Thanquol go without the subtlest of subtle nods. Something for you to look out for ;)

4) There are some game characters passing through, but none from the skaven side. Tretch Craventail was in my original pitch but he got edited out at a very early stage. Direct your e-mails of complaint to Black Library (p.s. please don't :))

5) What... what... how do you know that title... which of my minions have been talking? I believe I may have mentioned it myself at BL Live but for the sake of good form I'm going to eye Josh Reyonolds suspiciously. I could tell you all about City of the Damned, but then I'd have to lure you into an alley, smother your screams with a parafin-soaked rag, shiv you repeatedly in the back, and then burn your corpse... sorry :D

In the meantime I hope you enjoy Headtaker. I'm reliably informed that there'll be a review of it in May's White Dwarf
WarlordGuymer

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:49 pm

So now that you have had your BLL! Exposure and are jumping headlong into the author publicity engines of twitter accounts and having to fend off the unrelenting inquistition of the 'hole how are you feeling?

Is this professional authoring or worrying potential timesink of doom? Would you cry if we say nasty things about you?
schaferwhat‽

Postby WarlordGuymer » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:05 pm

I'm not doing too much writing at the moment. Yes, yes, I realise that a proper writer should find the time, but it's my last week at work with all the hectic deadlininess that that brings, not to mention moving house at the same time. Next week will be the real acid test as to whether I can write/blog/tweet/etc simultaenously!

So aside from the nagging guilt that my word count refuses to increase by itself, it's feeling pretty good although vaguely surreal.

And to the last point, yes. I will absolutely cry if you say nasty things about me :)
WarlordGuymer

Postby Carandini » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:32 am

So that would mean no calling you a mouse-spleened, tick-licking, treacherous flea-fondler?

In all seriousness, a big howdy to my fellow skaven fanatic!

Don't feel bad about the writing front. It's not something you can just turn on and off at will. Or I should say, it's not something you can muster on demand without compromise. Still, alot to be said for being able to 'get in the zone' when you need to.
Carandini

Postby WarlordGuymer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:01 pm

Four legs good, two legs bad, let ruination reign
WarlordGuymer

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:05 pm

WarlordGuymer wrote:Four legs good, two legs bad, let ruination reign

Right on! The Skaven will inherit the world, as the Horned One promised. :twisted:

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby Mossy Toes » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:42 am

WarlordGuymer wrote:Four legs good, two legs bad, let ruination reign

Four legs good, two legs better. Or six legs, as the Master Moulders would have it.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby RuneGuard » Sat May 25, 2013 3:57 pm

Hi there, i have just reviewed your book on the spoiler section, needless to say i enjoyed your version of the skaven very much.

Where did the idea for Sharpwit come about, for he is a skaven character that we have never really read of before?

Will we see more of him in prequal format, maybe a short about his rise and fall from power?

Would you be interested in writing about other skaven characters from the army book? if so which catches your eye?

I found out through Amazon that you have been busy writing G&F, though there is a blurb about it there, is there anything else you can reveal about it?

If so where in the time line of G&F is this based? after giant slayer or before daemon slayer etc....?

Sorry for all the questions, look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers
RuneGuard

Postby WarlordGuymer » Sat May 25, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi there Runeguard,

First of all, thanks for the review. I just went and read it before writing this reply and it was so good I felt compelled to tweet it! Anyway, to your questions...

The idea for Sharpwit (and for the story itself) came when I was reading C.L. Werner's Thanquol's Doom. If you've read it, you might recall that a running theme in the book was a comparison of the skaven's ingenuity and adaptibility with the dwarfs' hidebound stagnation and how this could only result in the formers' ultimate triumph. I had the idea of showing the opposite view, with the skaven essentially running in circles down the generations while the dwarf's ability to remember enabling them to eundure, if not ever actually win. Sharpwit was born out of that idea, a skaven who's survived long enough to realise that the dwarfs might actually be onto something.

I've not actually considered doing anything more with Sharpwit as his story was quite complete. You did mention in your review that he was your favourite character and he was probably mine to, so if enough people are interested in reading more of Sharpwit's adventures (and I can convince BL to let me) then I'd love to write more. Ska Bloodtail does get a little outing in The Karag Durak Grudge and one of the editors has expressed an interest in a Thordun Locksplitter short story, so who knows!

For your third question: By the pox-ridden horns of the Horned Rat, yes!

The skaven are where my heart lies and I am going to keep writing them until some ambitious underling sneaks up behind me to make me stop. I've already written for Deathmaster Snikch in Unseen, but a character that hasn't been touched yet and who I think (rather like King Kazador in Headtaker) has great story potential is Throt the Unclean. I think that could be fantastic.

Of course my favourite character (and the commander of my own verminous hordes) is Ikit Claw, but CL. Werner covered him so perfectly it'd be hard to follow. Of course, if somebody asked...

As for Gotrek and Felix, there's not too much I can reveal at the moment. It's called City of the Damned and it's set after Giantslayer, but before any of Nathan Long's work. The cover will tell you that this is something of a horror story (my working title was Ghostslayer) and it's filled with nods to the earlier books, which I hope people will appreciate. There may even be a clue to my personal favourite Slayer book in there if you look hard enough. Plotwise though, these lips are sealed :)
WarlordGuymer

Postby RuneGuard » Fri May 31, 2013 1:21 pm

Thanks for replying, im glad you enjoyed the review.

Your right CL Werner did do a pretty good job with both Skrolk and Ikit however as you've said Throt the unclean is wide open. I imagine it would be very interesting to delve into the hell pit and how it operates (probably more backstabbing, plotting and switching of alliegences)

I did like the comparisons between the dwarfs and the skaven, however what i think could be interesting in exploring would be the comparisons between the goblin under empire and the skavens mighty all powerful under empire.

Also, I very much enjoyed your take on the death master I found it to be a great thriller a genre that I think is surely lacking in Warhammer fiction. I'm very excited to see your take on Gotrek and Felix which I believe will be first appearing in 'The Lost Tales' Anthology later this year if im not mistaken.

Thanks again.
RuneGuard

Postby WarlordGuymer » Fri May 31, 2013 1:47 pm

My contribution to Lost Tales is the prose version of Curse of the Everliving. I don't know for certain, but it's possible that the story will be extended slightly from that released on audio. There were a few scenes that got cut out and the ending was shortened to fit onto one CD
WarlordGuymer

Postby DarkChaplain » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:03 am

Looking forward to that prose version, then!
I did not particularly enjoy the voice picked for Felix in the audio drama - it did not seem like the voice of an aspiring poet kicked out of higher education, who used to live in the heart of the Empire, with rich parents to boot. Simply not smooth enough, too heavy an accent.
So that took away from my enjoyment of the story, but the story itself was good nonetheless. Looking forward to reading it for myself!

No need to talk about my experience with Headtaker, though. You know I loved it.

Now, my question would be a simple one:

Judging from Twitter, it would appear you're currently working on a 40k story, if I am not mixing anything up right now. Any chance you can elaborate on that project, whether it be giving us a rough idea who's gonna be involved, faction-wise, and when we'll get our hands on it?

Aside from that, I am eagerly awaiting the next Skaven story - but... no pressure ;)
DarkChaplain

Postby WarlordGuymer » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:52 pm

DarkChaplain wrote:I did not particularly enjoy the voice picked for Felix in the audio drama

I'll admit to being a little thrown on a first listen though he did grow on me with subsequent run-throughs. I think it was more a case of being unexpected than particularly bad. I don't know what other people thought, but I thought Gotrek and Viktor were voiced perfectly.

I have indeed been working on a 40K story, two of them in fact, linked short stories so kind of like a novella I guess. There's not much I can say, because it's linked to a forthcoming GW release. I think it'll be soon, but other than that I'm not too sure on release date. Other writers are contributing stories to this as well, but its only Guy Haley that I know about for definite. Need to know, and all that!

As for the factions involved, I'll refer you to this little package I received from BL a few weeks ago...

https://twitter.com/WarlordGuymer/statu ... 84/photo/1
WarlordGuymer

Postby Lord of the Night » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:05 pm

WarlordGuymer wrote:I have indeed been working on a 40K story, two of them in fact, linked short stories so kind of like a novella I guess. There's not much I can say, because it's linked to a forthcoming GW release. I think it'll be soon, but other than that I'm not too sure on release date. Other writers are contributing stories to this as well, but its only Guy Haley that I know about for definite. Need to know, and all that!

As for the factions involved, I'll refer you to this little package I received from BL a few weeks ago...

https://twitter.com/WarlordGuymer/statu ... 84/photo/1

Ooo I think I have an idea what it could be, or at least what I hope it might be. Could it be the Corewar of Cocholos?? A Necron Dynasty vs a Daemon Prince that looks like a giant worm with a warp portal for a head. That'd be a cool novella.

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby WarlordGuymer » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:29 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:
WarlordGuymer wrote:Could it be the Corewar of Cocholos?? A Necron Dynasty vs a Daemon Prince that looks like a giant worm with a warp portal for a head. That'd be a cool novella.
LotN

You've probably discovered now that unfortunately that's not what Cold Blood and Cold Steel was about :shock: I say unfortunately because the Corewar of Cocholos would've amped it up several hertz of awesome!
WarlordGuymer

Postby Liliedhe » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:19 pm

I liked Cold Blood a lot. :mrgreen: It was very long on irony which I always appreciate. ^^
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby WarlordGuymer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:12 am

Thanks, probably my favourite of the two. I enjoy unusual match-ups which, thinking about it, is more-or-less anything that doesn't feature an Imperial force at all
WarlordGuymer

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:09 am

Hey there,

Having finished G&F: City of the Damned last night I have quite a few questions about it. Mainly they are about the Mordheim denizens and events of the city.

Spoiler: 1. What exactly was Hurrlk? I get that he was a Moulder Skaven who came to Mordheim but how did he go from that little whip-rat to the Beast of the Moors? And why were there two of him in the final fight? And, I may be wrong here, a third outside the portal that Gotrek finished off? I do get that he was trapped there and wanted to die, but I don't understand how he became what he became.

2. Morzanna. I really do not understand her at all. If i'm right she was a citizen of Mordheim and after Nikolaus left her she became a Chaos witch for Be'lakor, but like Hurrlk she also wanted to die. But I don't understand what happened to her at the end, or what the point of the epilogue was because it seemed like a scene that we didn't really need to see, unless there were hidden depths to it that I didn't pick up on. And why did Nikolaus call her the White Lady, I thought that was meant to be the Shallyan Sister that followed Felix around?

3. What exactly happened when the sun hit Mordheim? Everything seemed to catch on spectral fire and the Damned burned. So does that mean that from that point on in the novel everything is on fire, or is it only in certain parts?

4. What was the fog barrier? That seemed to be present early in the novel and disappeared later on, nobody mentioned it again and if they did I didn't see it.

5. What happened during the ritual with Felix, Rudi and Nikolaus? They tried to reach Morzanna to stop the ritual but what exactly helped them? Was it the Damned or was it spirits sent by Sigmar? And what did Rudi mean when he said the Damned had been freed, does that mean that disrupting the ritual alllowed the Damned of Mordheim to leave for the afterlife? How exactly did that work?

6. Why was Morschurle aware he was dead but nobody else was? And I do not understand the nature of his deal with Be'lakor. He bargained for his daughter's life and yet Be'lakor had her make a deal as well, so then what was the point of making the deal if Morzanna was going to make her own anyway?

7. What did Rudi and Konrad hope to accomplish by staying to die in the city? Does that reflect that Sigmarshafen is going to continue fighting against Mordheim? Or was it just a crazy zealot thing?

8. What did Schlanger mean when he said that by tomorrow G&F wouldn't remember anything, and did he intend to stay in the city too? Or had he become trapped in it?

Thanks in advance for what you can answer,

LotN
Lord of the Night

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors