Ask... MIKE LEE

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: Ask... MIKE LEE

Postby Mike Lee » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:04 am

Cerberus wrote:Hi Mike, Hope all's well!

I was wondering, what books/authors would you cite as your main influences? Nagash the Sorcerer for example, is in my opinion the closest thing to 'high fantasy' to come out of the Black Library so does it owe this epic scope to anything, or anyone in particular?

Hmm. That's an interesting question. In the case of the Nagash trilogy, the scope of the story was really dictated by the huge, epic sweep of the character's background; you can't really tell his story any other way. :)

Now, in terms of books that provided solid examples of telling a sweeping, complex storyline, I'd have to start with Tolkien, of course, and add Steven Erickson's stellar Malazan Book of the Fallen. There are others, but those two are kind of my touchstones for how to manage a huge, sweeping storyline effectively.

Cheers,

Mike Lee
Mike Lee

Postby Mike Lee » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:09 am

Corrigan Phoenix wrote:A question regarding how you convert the Darkblade comics...do you and Dan have one-to-one sessions in person/phone/email discussing elements of the comics, like what his intent was with a certain scene or comment, and what he thinks of your own "background" elements (i.e. what strings the comic scenes together to make the extra content that makes it a novel)?

Early on, Dan and I had a number of conversations about Malus and how to expand upon the story presented in the comics, but mostly he was very open and encouraging of my own ideas, and gave me a great deal of freedom to take the story in new directions.

As far as I know, he's happy with the changes I made. Certainly I (and BL's editors) made a point of implementing every observation and suggestion he gave us. :)

Cheers,

Mike Lee
Mike Lee

Postby sam vimes » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:24 am

*wipes away tears of happiness* YES!!! the damnned rouge will be back, Malus would be truly lost without him and Spite lol I know your wanting to get back into the heresey, and when you do any ideas on were you would want to focous your pen on next, for me personally I hope an author does something on the survivors of the Drop site massacre, as come on people marines die HARD, and a final thing thank you for givng arleth vann a sense of humour in warpsword, before he intrigued me as a dark and mysterious former silent knife of kain THEN he's meets that damnned rouge and is corrupted completly shame what happend to him though still at least Silar is safe from you and Dan killing him off, still feel slightly peeved with what he did to Maxillas grand standing flamboyance lol (he got rid of it)
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Lord of the Night » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:15 am

Greetings Ser Lee,

I have a single question for you, but before I ask it I will quickly explain how I arrived at this conclusion, or theory. While perusing Anthony Reynolds's blog I noticed he mentions that an author is currently working on a Dark Eldar novel. He also mentioned that this author has not been involved in anything in 40k for a while.

As far as I can see, I may be wrong, this is just a guess, you are the only BL author who hasn't been involved in 40k for quite some time. So my question is, are you the author writing the Dark Eldar novel?

Lord of the Night
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Mike Lee » Wed May 04, 2011 8:36 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:Greetings Ser Lee,

I have a single question for you, but before I ask it I will quickly explain how I arrived at this conclusion, or theory. While perusing Anthony Reynolds's blog I noticed he mentions that an author is currently working on a Dark Eldar novel. He also mentioned that this author has not been involved in anything in 40k for a while.

As far as I can see, I may be wrong, this is just a guess, you are the only BL author who hasn't been involved in 40k for quite some time. So my question is, are you the author writing the Dark Eldar novel?

Lord of the Night

Hi:

I apologize for taking so long to get back to this. The answer to your question is no - I'm not the guy writing the DE novel. Sorry. :(

Mike
Mike Lee

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:45 am

@Lord of the Knight
I thought it was Andy Chambers?
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby narrativium » Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 am

It is, but that wasn't well known when LotN asked the question. Path of the Renegade and Andy Chambers' name are both quite prominent in the Black Library website's Coming Soon pages now.
narrativium

Postby Fist of Dorn » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:21 pm

You said that Nagash the Immortal is one of the longest BL books so was just wondering what's the page count?
Fist of Dorn

Postby BL Graeme » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:45 pm

Fist of Dorn wrote:You said that Nagash the Immortal is one of the longest BL books so was just wondering what's the page count?

I can answer this if Mike doesn't mind...

In terms of page count, we've squeezed Nagash Immortal into the same size tome as Titanicus, at 608 pages. It's nearly 170,000 words. Some of them even make sense :p (Sorry Mike - the book rocks!)
BL Graeme

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:48 pm

BL Graeme wrote:I can answer this if Mike doesn't mind...

In terms of page count, we've squeezed Nagash Immortal into the same size tome as Titanicus, at 608 pages. It's nearly 170,000 words. Some of them even make sense :p (Sorry Mike - the book rocks!)

That is almost two novels!
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby sam vimes » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:50 am

shadowhawk2008 wrote:

holy hell and i thought eisenhorn was a long book
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Raziel4707 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:25 am

sam vimes wrote:
shadowhawk2008 wrote:

holy hell and i thought eisenhorn was a long book

It was! Because it's three books! :P
Raziel4707

Postby sam vimes » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:31 pm

I know and thier were two shorts in, that I wonder when we'll get more dark blade?

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Jim Shady » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:23 am

Good to see Malus will be back Mike :D Really enjoyed the madness that is Malus' life.
Last edited by Jim Shady on Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ah me lads, ye shud only seen us gannin',
We pass'd the foaks upon the road just as they wor stannin';
Thor wes lots o' lads an' lasses there, all wi' smiling faces,
Gawn alang the Scotswood Road, to see the Blaydon Races
Jim Shady

Postby s-durie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:16 pm

hi mike was just wondering have u got a date for the next malus darkblade book coming out thanks :D
s-durie

Postby sam vimes » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:28 pm

some times I wonder if dan and mike regret creating the monster that is Malus lol we REALLY want more don't we?

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby sam vimes » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:54 am

So does any one know what Mike's up to these days?

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Flashgordon » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:07 pm

This is great! The Malus Darkblade books were one of the most epic series i have read(and one of the few fantasy novels i actually anjoyed). :D
Flashgordon

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:13 pm

Been almost three years since we last heard anything. Wonder if Malus will be returning at all.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Darke » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:33 pm

I'm guessing Mike Lee doesn't write for Black Library any more - the Traitor's Gorge limited edition novella by him had a signature page for his signature that was unsigned on all of the printed copies, and the hardcover version of Fallen Angels did not have the usual author afterword. I'm guessing there was a falling out between him and Black Library?
Darke

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors