Ask... MIKE LEE

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Ask... MIKE LEE

Postby Pyroriffic » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:53 pm

Address all your questions to Mike Lee here.

PLEASE AVOID ANSWERING A QUESTION UNLESS THE AUTHOR HAS HAD A CHANCE TO DO IT FIRST!

Also, please note these are not general discussion threads. The clue's in the name.

Thanks.

Mike Lee's official Black Library page can be found here.

The original 'Ask Mike' thread can be found at the site archive here.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Re: Ask... MIKE LEE

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:34 am

Are you looking forward to delving back into the realm of Malus Darkblade with Mr. Abnett?

ALSO: Can you give us any hint of what time period the new stories will be in, i.e. before/after the currently released novels?
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby Mike Lee » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:53 pm

Corrigan Phoenix wrote:Are you looking forward to delving back into the realm of Malus Darkblade with Mr. Abnett?

ALSO: Can you give us any hint of what time period the new stories will be in, i.e. before/after the currently released novels?

Yes, very much! I'm working on the next book right now, in fact. After the huge, immensely complicated Nagash books, getting back to Darkblade has actually been a relief. I've actually kind of missed the pointy-eared bastard. :)

The books will continue the storyline that Dan created in Warhammer Monthly, and begin a year or two (I haven't decided for sure) after the end of Lord of Ruin.

Cheers,

Mike Lee
Mike Lee

Postby Dorian » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:12 pm

I just wanted to say that I really loved Fallen Angels. It's been a very enjoyable read and made me yearn for more.
Wyrd bið ful aræd.

We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things.

If the world is at peace then it means someone is planning war.
Dorian

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:13 pm

*Punches the air joyfully* Thanks Mr. Lee, I thoroughly enjoyed all the current Darkblade novels, and can't wait to delve back in alongside, as you put it, that pointy-eared bastard!
Another few, eager questions, if you'll permit:

A) Did Dan create further Malus' comic adventures past Lord of Ruin?

B) Any ideas on how many extra we'll be getting? another trilogy? More?

Also, C) Will Malus be making further attempts at bumping off/getting rid of Tz'arkan?

D) Will it be set solely in Naggaroth, or will it branch out into other areas?
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby Mike Lee » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:43 pm

Corrigan Phoenix wrote:*Punches the air joyfully* Thanks Mr. Lee, I thoroughly enjoyed all the current Darkblade novels, and can't wait to delve back in alongside, as you put it, that pointy-eared bastard!
Another few, eager questions, if you'll permit:

A) Did Dan create further Malus' comic adventures past Lord of Ruin?

B) Any ideas on how many extra we'll be getting? another trilogy? More?

Also, C) Will Malus be making further attempts at bumping off/getting rid of Tz'arkan?

D) Will it be set solely in Naggaroth, or will it branch out into other areas?

Well:

A.) Dan created a total of fifteen Malus comics for Warhammer Monthly. We've only covered the first five so far.

B.) We've condensed the second set of five comics down to a trilogy. So there will be at least three more books.

C.) Getting rid of Tz'arkan is kind of a full-time job for Malus. :)

D.) The next book starts out in Norsca lands, as Malus goes searching for the arcane lore he needs to get his soul back. From there, things get...interesting.

Cheers,

Mike Lee
Mike Lee

Postby Mike Lee » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:44 pm

Dorian wrote:I just wanted to say that I really loved Fallen Angels. It's been a very enjoyable read and made me yearn for more.

Thanks very much, Dorian! It's been interesting to see how polarizing the book has been. People either seem to love it or hate it. Pretty much what one would expect from a book about Dark Angels. :)

Cheers,

Mike Lee
Mike Lee

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:52 pm

Mike Lee wrote:Well:

A.) Dan created a total of fifteen Malus comics for Warhammer Monthly. We've only covered the first five so far.

B.) We've condensed the second set of five comics down to a trilogy. So there will be at least three more books.

C.) Getting rid of Tz'arkan is kind of a full-time job for Malus. :)

D.) The next book starts out in Norsca lands, as Malus goes searching for the arcane lore he needs to get his soul back. From there, things get...interesting.

Cheers,

Mike Lee

A) Didn't know that - *punches air*

B) *punches air again, accompanied by a cheer*

C) Yeah...foolish waste of a question really :oops:

D) Interesting? Yay!!

Another Question in regards to HH - do you have any other HH pieces in the pipeline? (Even if no specifics, if you are doing another HH or not would be appreciated, as I always thought you did a grand job with Fallen Angels, especially with the restraints you had)
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby Xisor » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:54 pm

Hello Mr Lee,

You mentioned (implied?) you'd finished Nagash Immortal now, how'd you find finishing it?

Gav & Graham mentioned at BLL! they had their minds set for a few other 'extra' stories relating to their own original trilogies, I wondered if you had much thought/desire/hankering for 'other Nagash-related stories' beyond the three books?

I recall you'd mentioned that Unbroken had ballooned massively (such that you covered a smaller amount than you'd initially intended to) over the course of your writing for it, I wonder if that means that you've still ideas for something 'beyond the trilogy', or if that's not much of a consideration given the third book.

In any case, I look forward to it immensely.

Cheers,
Xisor

P.S. Same boat as Dorian & Phoenix here re:FA. Haven't encountered many 'haters' myself and struggle to think of sensible reasons they'd feel that way. A massive three thumbs up from me.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Lord of the Night » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:02 pm

Mike Lee wrote:
Corrigan Phoenix wrote:Are you looking forward to delving back into the realm of Malus Darkblade with Mr. Abnett?

Yes, very much! I'm working on the next book right now, in fact. After the huge, immensely complicated Nagash books, getting back to Darkblade has actually been a relief. I've actually kind of missed the pointy-eared bastard. :)

The books will continue the storyline that Dan created in Warhammer Monthly, and begin a year or two (I haven't decided for sure) after the end of Lord of Ruin.

Cheers,

Mike Lee
Hmm more Malus Darkblade... I see,

PRAISE THE DARK GODS FOR THIS GIFT WE HAVE RECEIVED!! :D :D

You have answered one of my prayers ser Lee, and its good to see that its a trilogy as well. I don't think I could wait for five books to be released, plus if you've condensed it that means the three books will have longer lengths, here's hoping for 500 pages per novel. I have only a few questions.

1. Will Hauclir be back?

2. Will Malus's mother Eldire's scheming be a part of the future plot?, I ask since its not a part of the comics.

3. Is it a possibility for Malus to face any new enemies, like Vampires or Skaven perhaps?.

4. This one is actually about the last five books and a possible future. In, Bloodstorm I think, Malus is showen in bed with a female druchii when seeing a potential future, at least I think it was that. Is this druchii a future character?, if i'm wrong about my assumption disregard the question.

5. And one more time, Will Hauclir be back? (I love that guy!)

Once more I shall give praise to the Chaos Gods and the Black Library Powers-That-Be, you are one of these, for my favourite fantasy series coming back. It'll be grand to see Malus and Spite ready for round two with T'zarkan, whom I think i'll actually miss since he won't be chattering away in Malus's head anymore.

Lord of the Night
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Mike Lee » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:02 am

Corrigan Phoenix wrote:Another Question in regards to HH - do you have any other HH pieces in the pipeline? (Even if no specifics, if you are doing another HH or not would be appreciated, as I always thought you did a grand job with Fallen Angels, especially with the restraints you had)

Thanks! I really appreciate it. :)

I don't have any HH novels in the pipeline at the moment, I'm afraid. Nagash the Immortal took an entire year to complete, and now I'm working on the next Darkblade book. After that, I'm not certain. I very much want to get back to writing 40K novels, and for the Heresy in particular, though.

Cheers,

Mike Lee
Mike Lee

Postby Mike Lee » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:14 am

Xisor wrote:Hello Mr Lee,

You mentioned (implied?) you'd finished Nagash Immortal now, how'd you find finishing it?

Gav & Graham mentioned at BLL! they had their minds set for a few other 'extra' stories relating to their own original trilogies, I wondered if you had much thought/desire/hankering for 'other Nagash-related stories' beyond the three books?

I recall you'd mentioned that Unbroken had ballooned massively (such that you covered a smaller amount than you'd initially intended to) over the course of your writing for it, I wonder if that means that you've still ideas for something 'beyond the trilogy', or if that's not much of a consideration given the third book.

In any case, I look forward to it immensely.

Cheers,
Xisor

P.S. Same boat as Dorian & Phoenix here re:FA. Haven't encountered many 'haters' myself and struggle to think of sensible reasons they'd feel that way. A massive three thumbs up from me.

Nagash the Immortal was a brutal book to complete. There was so much ground to cover I spent a long time trying to figure out how to get it all in one book. As it is, the novel clocks in at 170,000 words. It will be the largest book BL has published to date.

As for stories beyond the trilogy...yes. There are several that could be told, based on how things turn out in the third book, but I don't have any plans to do so for the time being. After more than two years working back-to-back on the Nagash books, I'm eager for a change of pace. :)

Cheers,

Mike Lee
Mike Lee

Postby Mike Lee » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:23 am

Lord of the Night wrote:Hmm more Malus Darkblade... I see,

PRAISE THE DARK GODS FOR THIS GIFT WE HAVE RECEIVED!! :D :D

You have answered one of my prayers ser Lee, and its good to see that its a trilogy as well. I don't think I could wait for five books to be released, plus if you've condensed it that means the three books will have longer lengths, here's hoping for 500 pages per novel. I have only a few questions.

1. Will Hauclir be back?

2. Will Malus's mother Eldire's scheming be a part of the future plot?, I ask since its not a part of the comics.

3. Is it a possibility for Malus to face any new enemies, like Vampires or Skaven perhaps?.

4. This one is actually about the last five books and a possible future. In, Bloodstorm I think, Malus is showen in bed with a female druchii when seeing a potential future, at least I think it was that. Is this druchii a future character?, if i'm wrong about my assumption disregard the question.

5. And one more time, Will Hauclir be back? (I love that guy!)

Once more I shall give praise to the Chaos Gods and the Black Library Powers-That-Be, you are one of these, for my favourite fantasy series coming back. It'll be grand to see Malus and Spite ready for round two with T'zarkan, whom I think i'll actually miss since he won't be chattering away in Malus's head anymore.

Lord of the Night

Well:

1.) It's unlikely that Hauclir will appear in the next three books, for geographical reasons. Malus has left Naggaroth behind in his quest to reclaim his soul. For the time being, Hauclir is on his own.

2.) Again, Eldire won't factor greatly in the next three books, but she's still very much working her schemes back at Hag Graef.

3.) It's possible. More than that, I can't say just yet. :)

4.) Yes, she is. But that's a long ways down the road, yet. :)

5.) I love the rascal, too. I wish I could have him along for the next set of books, but the plot just doesn't work that way. Once Malus returns to Naggaroth, though, you can expect to see him again. :D

Cheers,

Mike Lee
Mike Lee

Postby Xisor » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:32 am

Awesome, and quite right too, Mr Lee. They don't read as if they were easy to construct books, but I'm rather charmed to hear the third will be a monster (in size, at least). Hopefully there's solace to be had that we (will eventually) derive pleasure from your two years of suffering!

Aside from the Malus work, which also sounds rather exciting indeed, have you much floating around thought-wise for what you'd hope to do in 30k/40k terms?
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Big Barney Ross » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:44 am

Hello, Mr. Lee! I have two questions for you:

1) I noticed on your BL bio page that you are a devoted fan of pulp adventure. As an avid reader of pulp fiction myself, I was wondering which pulp authors are your favorites?

2) I'm interested in the process when two authors write together, as it's the case with Malus Darkblade chronicles, which you penned with Dan Abnett. I'm curious because I'm an aspiring author myself, and I write together with a friend of mine. So I was wondering, how does the "dual" writing go when pro's are involved?

Do you divide who writes what? Like, "OK, Dan - I'll write Chapters 1 & 2, while you do 3 & 4." Or, perhaps, one author gets an idea, and says "Listen, listen, I've got it all, so I'll write it up, while you do... something else." And finally, when one author finishes the part he's currently working on, does he send that part to the other to check out and, possibly, review, alter, add or remove something?
Go home. Just go.
Big Barney Ross

Postby Cerberus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:53 am

Hi Mike, Hope all's well!

I was wondering, what books/authors would you cite as your main influences? Nagash the Sorcerer for example, is in my opinion the closest thing to 'high fantasy' to come out of the Black Library so does it owe this epic scope to anything, or anyone in particular?
Cerberus

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:15 am

A question regarding how you convert the Darkblade comics...do you and Dan have one-to-one sessions in person/phone/email discussing elements of the comics, like what his intent was with a certain scene or comment, and what he thinks of your own "background" elements (i.e. what strings the comic scenes together to make the extra content that makes it a novel)?
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby David Earle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:36 pm

Mike Lee wrote:Nagash the Immortal was a brutal book to complete. There was so much ground to cover I spent a long time trying to figure out how to get it all in one book. As it is, the novel clocks in at 170,000 words. It will be the largest book BL has published to date.

I will definitely be picking up the eBook edition, then. :D

I hesitate to ask, but did Black Library ask you to cut significant chunks to reach that length?
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Mike Lee » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:42 pm

Xisor wrote:Aside from the Malus work, which also sounds rather exciting indeed, have you much floating around thought-wise for what you'd hope to do in 30k/40k terms?

I have a few ideas floating about, but nothing I can really get into at the moment. Hopefully I can start dropping cryptic hints once I've had a chat with Nick. :)

Cheers,

Mike Lee
Mike Lee

Postby Mike Lee » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:56 pm

Big Barney Ross wrote:Hello, Mr. Lee! I have two questions for you:

1) I noticed on your BL bio page that you are a devoted fan of pulp adventure. As an avid reader of pulp fiction myself, I was wondering which pulp authors are your favorites?

2) I'm interested in the process when two authors write together, as it's the case with Malus Darkblade chronicles, which you penned with Dan Abnett. I'm curious because I'm an aspiring author myself, and I write together with a friend of mine. So I was wondering, how does the "dual" writing go when pro's are involved?

Do you divide who writes what? Like, "OK, Dan - I'll write Chapters 1 & 2, while you do 3 & 4." Or, perhaps, one author gets an idea, and says "Listen, listen, I've got it all, so I'll write it up, while you do... something else." And finally, when one author finishes the part he's currently working on, does he send that part to the other to check out and, possibly, review, alter, add or remove something?

Well:

1.) Hmm. That's hard to narrow down, but I'd probably go with Edgar Rice Burroughs, Robert E. Howard, and H.P. Lovecraft, in no particular order.

2.) Typically you don't have two writers dividing up the actual writing of a book, because their individual writing styles won't mesh, and the story will be noticeably uneven. What usually happens is that one writer creates the treatment, or outline of the story, and the second writer actually puts the words to paper. In the case of Darkblade, I had much more freedom: I took Dan's comics, created a series outline and individual outlines for each book, and he looked them over and provided comments or suggested changes. Then I went and wrote each of the books based on that.

Cheers,

Mike Lee
Mike Lee

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors