Ask... AARON DEMBSKI-BOWDEN

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: Ask... AARON DEMBSKI-BOWDEN

Postby Raziel4707 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:35 pm

I don't plan much; like a lot of authors (most?) I just start hitting keys with a vague idea and see where I end up 100,000 words later.

Hey man,

I've yet to get around to reading one of your novels, but wanted to express just how much hope this gave me when I read it. So yeah, cheers! *returns to the bushes*
Raziel4707

Postby Liliedhe » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:35 pm

Thank you very much for answering my questions... I tend to obsess over such little details. :)

I've also recently - like, 5 hours ago - finished The First Heretic and enjoyed it very much. I was surprised I found myself pitying Lorgar, instead of hating him. (I had detested him since the first HH trilogy, simply for what Erebus - and by extension Lorgar - put Horus through. And me. :oops: ) What I actually saw, once he stepped onto the stage was entirely different from what I expected, but in a good way.

I still hate Erebus, though. ^^ If there was a mini of that guy, I'd buy it just to melt it down or burn it. :twisted:

That leads me to the one question that was bugging me through the entire book...

- I couldn't shake the impression that Kor Phaeron has been abusing Lorgar while he raised him. The undertones (or overtones) of their relationship seemed like one of abuser and abusee to me. Is this just me seeing something that wasn't there? Their relationship just never seemed like a healthy father-son thing to me...

And there's another question about a little detail: In the sequence where Argel Tal sees the primarchs land on their planets - why does the Lion have black hair, when he is blond? A trick of the light? A mistake? Or something to get paranoid over?^^

PS: Your avatar always makes me laugh. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Liliedhe on Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby David Earle » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:57 pm

Liliedhe wrote:I still hate Erebus, though. ^^ If there was a mini of that guy, I'd buy it just to melt it down or burn it. :twisted:

Speaking of Erebus...

ADB, have you considered delving into the First Chaplain's backstory at all? Given that he's not only turned worlds to Chaos behind Lorgar's back, but also stood up to Magnus the Red and created a daemonic assassin that might have killed the Emperor... well, it just seems like there's a few things about him we don't know.

Also, hope you had a good time at the Bowie Bunker. :D
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Rex Imperator » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:06 am

Hi Aaron,

Just a quick question about First Heretic.

Were the artificials on Forty Seven-Sixteen something created by the inhabitants of that world or were they based on an STC?

I'll ask Anthony reynolds as well but you tend to answer more often.

Thanks!
Rex Imperator

Postby bugthurn1 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:49 am

Hello AD-B!

Your books keep getting better and better man! Please keep up the goodness and I will keep buying them! :D
You have had Abaddon, Blackheart and Typhus appear in your 40k books, so I guess a question I would have is what other "legendary" character'(s) would you like to write about?
bugthurn1

Postby Rex Imperator » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:44 pm

Grimaldus and Hellbrecht?
Rex Imperator

Postby Diatribe » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:13 am

Dear AD-B,

As we all know, the current 40k timeline has been stuck at the "2 minutes till midnight" status for awhile now (and most likely will remain that way). Let's assume (for ***** & giggles) that the GW/BL folks come to you and say "We're moving that clock forward 1 minute. Write us something cool that'll set the standard for everyone else." Now, with that being said, while you don't have to say what that book itself would theoretically entail, what would the 40k Galaxy look like (in your mind) with such an advancement?

Edited, RE: language.
Diatribe

Postby Raziel4707 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:05 am

Diatribe: Please remember the forum's guidelines with regard to swearing. The new forum no longer self-edits, as no filter is currently in place.

Raz.
Raziel4707

Postby Eremite » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:04 pm

Actually, I've got an odd question for you, ADB. In Blood Reaver, there's a moment when Mercutian is summoned and puts down his stylus. What was he writing? I know it was probably just to show he's more cultured than the rest of them, but still... what was he writing? Something functional, like an impurity seal for his armour or a Night Lord To-Do list (1. Find enemies. 2. Terrify them to death. 3. Wear their skin and use it to terrify their friends to death. 4. Profit?), or something more interesting? Memoirs, The Art of Fear-Based Psuedo-Terrorist War, Nostramon poetry or even Mercutian's pocket-sized book of humourous cat stories?

If you didn't have something already, hey, maybe it might be interesting for you to think about yourself. I like Mercutian and I've always wanted to see more of him.
Eremite

Postby Captain Demeter » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi ADB,

You have said on your blog that you don't know if there will be another first claw triology. Off course, you decide, but what if the fans enmasse want another triology ? Would you then think about it ?

You have also said you want to write a long during chaos space marines series some time. Any idea about which legion / group ?
Please, let it be one of the first legions ! I think you share my opinion that they are much cooler
( mostly ) since you had that wonderfull scene in blood reaver in Huron's throne room and the discussion about the first legions and the lesser traitors. But I can be wrong. Any idea if this series will be about one of the first legions or another group ? Any idea about which legion ?

Or will the Abaddon series be a long series ? I have heard you firstly thought about 2 Abaddon book ?

And third, good luck with all the preparations for the marriage !!!

Cheers, Capt Demeter.
Captain Demeter

Postby worldkiller » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:34 am

Three questions that I hope do not sound stupid.

1. When does Aurelion (sorry if I butchered the spelling) come out?
2. Do any of the Black Legion characters that had a brief appearance in Soul Hunter have roles in the Black Legion series you want to write?
3. Is there any hidden meaning in Talos taking the Blood Angel gauntlet at the end of SH for his own, what with the whole thing in Savage Weapons and Blood Reaver about the red gauntlets and what they symbolize?

P.S.: Please come to Texas and sign books.
worldkiller

Postby Jim Shady » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:26 am

Morning Mr ADB! Hope the wedding went well (you mentioned you were getting married on the 5th and todays the 6th, yeah, i'm good at maths!) and yourself and the bride had a good day.

To the question!

How much research with certain historical figures, civilisations, languages etc do you do before you set finger to keyboard?
Ah me lads, ye shud only seen us gannin',
We pass'd the foaks upon the road just as they wor stannin';
Thor wes lots o' lads an' lasses there, all wi' smiling faces,
Gawn alang the Scotswood Road, to see the Blaydon Races
Jim Shady

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:25 am

Yeah seconding the "I don't know you but I know about you so I am going to express a sentiment about your public declaration of love" vibes in a positive way, from what I can gather it seems to have gone not in a catastrophic way so kudos for you on that score (I always feel slightly uneasy and stalkerish when details of peoples weddings and things crop up on my facebook/twitter feeds, it's purely a passive intrusion, I try not to interact with such content but still through mutural aquaintship and how that somehow constitutes "friendship" on the dilute the meaning of everything in order to spread more data internet definitions of things tends to allow things like that to be blurred and I always feel kinda apologetic about it cos I am endowed with information that I perhaps shouldn't be. Sorry. (and I'm saying this as someone who has at one time or another been flippant and facetious about personal stuff you put on your blog, that said the difference is that you're posting that stuff on your blog like an idiot just inviting the internet and the crazies in your rapidly expanding fanbase (it's expanding because you're cool and awesome at the writing not just with global obesity trends, I assure you) to pass comment so I'd be amiss not to take advantage of that. I have some sort of odd set of standards it seems, go figure, I'm degressing in parentheses like a mother-spawned entity)).

You'll be glad to know in light of the nuptials from now on I will do everything in my power to defuse the sexual tension that crops up between us when we meet at BLLs or Games Days, no one can win by that madness continuing now, it'll be better if we just stopped and I appreciate that so you can sleep easy on that count.

The format of the thread requires me not to just ramble at you, devulging worrying insights into my own mind and exposing hideous hideous things, but to actually ask a question, but I'm skipping that, you have issues with deadlines already and I'm assuming that you'll find the whole being blissfully happy at being wedded thing somewhat of a distraction for a little while (which is understandable, but you must also understand that there are those so hungry for more of your delectible word packages that they've started to gnaw on their own sanity to sustain them until your next release which is making a number of your fans more dangerous and erratic than they were before, and no one that sane likes what you do in the first place).

Peace.
schaferwhat‽

Postby teessider » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:15 pm

Just seen on the BL site that you've been married, congratulations to you and the and the new Mrs Dembski-Bowden! Hope you both had a fantastic day!
teessider

Postby Daemon Weapon » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:01 am

Dear AD-B,

This may have been bought up before but when you mentioned in your blog about Void Stalker i had a few thoughts on this, Specifically "Talos’s perspective on the Eighth Legion was, what it is, and what it might become". Wouldn't this come into conflict with the other powerbrokers of the Legion for their own causes ? And given that he is the soul hunter his support could cerment the various contenders for the Night Haunters throne.
Daemon Weapon

Postby sigillite » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:50 pm

Hi Aaron, great work with Blood Reaver, yet another one of your works I couldn't put down. I think it's great you give mention to Sahaal in this series, even though he's a mediocre character from an awful book. While giving the nod to everyones' characters in every book you write is bad for many reasons, I think it's great when writers do this when an obvious opportunity presents itself. It gives a sense of legitimacy to the said character and book in a way. You also did this with the Brotherhood which I thought was great, espescially because I asked you on here if they (Brotherhood) get mentioned and you said no, so it was a nice treat to hear about it.

Which leads me to my question... Is their any way you could give even the slightest passing mention to Karnulon, aka- Arguleon Veq in your upcoming WB HH novel? Even if it's just "oh, there's Karnulon...he sucks" would be really, really awsome. Imo Daemonworld was/is Mr. Counter at his best and Veq is such a great villain. It would be great to see that, yes, he did exist.

Thanks.
sigillite

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:57 pm

Just found out about Butcher's Nails a while ago. The title suggests that it is an Angron/World Eaters HH audio drama. Is that truly the case?
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby worldkiller » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:49 pm

What is your opinion of this new line of Choose-your-own-adventure W40K books?
worldkiller

Postby Malcador » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:08 pm

Hello Mr. D-B

This summer I read some of your works, namely The First Heretic and Savage Weapons, it is the first time I read your work and I'm here to say I loved it!

*** Spoilers ***
We have Spoiler tags for this reason -- narrativium

The First Heretic

Spoiler: I enjoyed reading the battle between the primarchs, the Raven defeating Lorgar, saved only by Night Haunter, and the way he *sounded* when saying "Stay little Raven" sent a shiver down my neck. Great writing sir! :D

And the revelations: a glimpse of Hydra, the primarchs landing, holding Lorgar longer in the warp, the entire fall of the Legion. I couldn't it put it down. And the irony of the The Emperor's Tarot, the Scarus sector, and, most of all: Cadia. All by the legion responsible for the entire Heresy! My head felt dizzy!

Savage Weapons

Spoiler: This should have been a novel. That's the only flaw, and the rest is silence (I.E. superb). Maybe it should have ended with the Lion or Curze escaping from one another instead of their legions separating them but who am I to say so?

Why would Calth ("Know no fear" by Mr. Abnett) or Signus Prime ("Fear to Thread" by Mr. Swallow) get its own novels and only a short story for this one? Calth and Signus don't even have primarchs on both sides.

But the battle scene was masterfuly done, Curze and Lion fight a mean fight, and Sevatar rocks hard.

Anyway there are a few questions I wanted to ask you.

(The First Heretic)

Spoiler: 1. This one I wanted to ask for a long while: Is what Ingethel the Ascended showed and told Argel Tal in the Imperial Gene-Labs true? Or what Erebus showed to Horus?

2. Is there a deeper meaning as to why only some primarchs where showed to Argel Tal, instead of all of them?

3. Captain Scarus was lost in a Warpstorm, and Ingethel mention him being unworthy or blind, does that mean he would have remained loyal in the face of Ingethel's 'Evidence'?

4. On Monarchia, why does the Emperor seem to change his expressions by simply "closing his eyes"? Why does he project himself as a youth or man to the men around him? If he is a psychic power given form, shouldn't that form be physical, because he was born human after all? Is he then a psyker who uses his powers to enhance his body to rival and surpass the primarchs or is he just covering his real apearance from the others with a psychic mask of gold?

Is that what John Grammaticus saw in the Emperor in "Legion"?

Thank you! If not for answering, then for your works. :)
Last edited by Malcador on Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can't lower Heaven, RAISE HELL!
Malcador

Postby Jim Shady » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:52 pm

Eremite wrote:Actually, I've got an odd question for you, ADB. In Blood Reaver, there's a moment when Mercutian is summoned and puts down his stylus. What was he writing? I know it was probably just to show he's more cultured than the rest of them, but still... what was he writing? Something functional, like an impurity seal for his armour or a Night Lord To-Do list (1. Find enemies. 2. Terrify them to death. 3. Wear their skin and use it to terrify their friends to death. 4. Profit?), or something more interesting? Memoirs, The Art of Fear-Based Psuedo-Terrorist War, Nostramon poetry or even Mercutian's pocket-sized book of humourous cat stories?

If you didn't have something already, hey, maybe it might be interesting for you to think about yourself. I like Mercutian and I've always wanted to see more of him.

I think it might be because Mecutian is from the high class of Nostramo aka the gang leaders. Think it was touched on in 'The Core'.
Ah me lads, ye shud only seen us gannin',
We pass'd the foaks upon the road just as they wor stannin';
Thor wes lots o' lads an' lasses there, all wi' smiling faces,
Gawn alang the Scotswood Road, to see the Blaydon Races
Jim Shady

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors