Ask... AARON DEMBSKI-BOWDEN

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Ask... AARON DEMBSKI-BOWDEN

Postby Pyroriffic » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:50 pm

Address all your questions to AARON DEMBSKI-BOWDEN here.

PLEASE AVOID ANSWERING A QUESTION UNLESS THE AUTHOR HAS HAD A CHANCE TO DO IT FIRST!

Also, please note these are not general discussion threads. The clue's in the name.

Thanks.

Aaron Dembski-Bowden's official Black Library page can be found here.

The original 'Ask Aaron' thread can be found at the site archive here.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Re: Ask... AARON DEMBSKI-BOWDEN

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:53 am

(continuing with my line of non-professional questioning) Has the latest plumbing/water crisis been averted yet?
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby flick » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:18 am

What Legion/Chapter would the Night Lords find the most teeth grindingly fustrating to fight?

Would it be the Raven guard, because they are so elusive and difficult to pin down? The Iron Hands because they don't 'do' fear, even by Astartes standards?
flick

Postby Xisor » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:36 pm

Salutations, Aaron!

Hope you've recovered well from the weekend. You mentioned I ought bring up Gordon Rennie's Gothic War books, but as I took up the opportunity to try harass you about 'more space battles' in your Q&A, I had a wee idea I'd front to you. You mentioned a sizeable chunk of space battle that was cut from The First Heretic as you felt it overshadowed/detracted from the significance of the other Dropsite Massacre scenes.

Any chance you'd be able harass (on our [my] behalf) to release that as, y'know, a 'deleted scene' either via your blog, a Hammer & Bolter short (possibly with explanatory blurb on why it was cut [I'm thinking as a way to pitch/justify/endear it to the editors]) or even just on here?

[risky goading]Then again, maybe your so-called 'Golden Boy' status isn't up to getting a thing like that pushed through. [/risky goading] :P

Having been reading through Age of Darkness (only on Gav's story at the moment) for the last day or so (amidst illness, humbug!), I've been pleased to see that at least the topic (relevance of the interstellar/planetary part of the Horus Heresy) is being dealt, even if not as a wholesale focus.

The Gothic War: Execution Hour/Shadowpoint

Loved 'em to bits. How come you've not killed some people to try'n write the third one? That, of course, presupposes that you actually like the books. I'd have tried to persuade him to do so at a signing last year, but he pulled out (not in a bawdy, innuendo-laden style) at the last moment and so I never did get to have them signed (nor to pressure/annoy him in person).

Anyway, toodle-oo for now.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Razhbad » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Dear ADB,

Other then your Night Lords and Grey Knights, do you have any more upcoming projects that you wish to divulge to us now. Wink Wink any future HH projects would be appreciated, nudge nudge.
Razhbad

Postby Rex Imperator » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:03 am

Dear Aaron,

Is Ingethel the Human and Ingethel the daemon the same entity? When I read First Heretic it seemed to me that the daemon possesed the priestess rather than her becoming a daemon prince(ss) but it was still pretty ambiguous.
Rex Imperator

Postby AD-B » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:41 pm

Corrigan Phoenix wrote:(continuing with my line of non-professional questioning) Has the latest plumbing/water crisis been averted yet?

It wasn't as bad as feared, so all is well.

Still, it snowed at the weekend. I literally cannot shape words into a damning enough proclamation of how truly sick of the cold I am.
AD-B

Postby AD-B » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:46 pm

flick wrote:What Legion/Chapter would the Night Lords find the most teeth grindingly fustrating to fight?

Would it be the Raven guard, because they are so elusive and difficult to pin down? The Iron Hands because they don't 'do' fear, even by Astartes standards?

Probably the Iron Warriors? Any deeply entrenched foe, I guess. That's a tough question. A lot would come down to the warband/company/enemy force in question.

I always try to write the Night Lords as struggling when their enemy has its back to a wall and literally cannot fall back any further. That's when your foes turn and bare their teeth, and really show what they're made of. The Night Lords tend to feel superior when they have the advantages of surprise and condescension, hitting hard and fast. But if they don't win almost immediately by their vicious, cunning tactics, they usually start to suffer in fair fights.

The Index Astartes article has a few mentions of them only striking targets with overwhelming force and assured victories, or aiming for ripe, weak targets. They're not nice guys, and don't give a damn about fighting fair. They're murderers first, soldiers second. A Night Lord will take a hit to his armour if it means he can get close enough to drive a knife into your spine.
AD-B

Postby AD-B » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:51 pm

Razhbad wrote:Dear ADB,

Other then your Night Lords and Grey Knights, do you have any more upcoming projects that you wish to divulge to us now. Wink Wink any future HH projects would be appreciated, nudge nudge.

I have some stuff I want to pitch, but that's not the same as stuff I'm definitely doing. Like, I want to do an Abaddon/Black Legion long-term series, but it doesn't exist outside my head. I haven't pitched it, yet.

Here's the list I mentioned on my blog:

"While I only (ha, “only”) have one novel being released in 2011 – Blood Reaver, the sequel to Soul Hunter – I’ve got the next several 40K novels on my plate fairly close to organised and loosely planned out. In fact, 2011 needs to be spent writing two of them, which will be the Grey Knights novel, and the last of the Night Lords trilogy, which I’ve currently named I Can’t Name this Book, and I Keep Changing My Mind over the Title. NOTE: Since posting that blog update, I think I've settled on the name First Claw.

- I’ve also promised myself to get enough of my non-40K novel cracked so I can send it to agents and kickstart that side of my career. It currently creeps by under the working title Annabelle’s Blood, which is very apt, but I’d like it a lot more if half my sci-fi novels didn’t already have that damn noun in their names, too.

I’ve also got several short stories and a novella coming out. Not sure how much I can blab about any of them, but here’s the skinny on what’s confessable:

- The novella is one of Black Library’s limited edition range, and it’s a Horus Heresy novella. I’ve toyed with notions of a Mechanicum plot in the past, but it never felt quite right. This was a big deal for me, and it had to be something damn special because of the format, but it couldn’t be essential to the saga due to the limited edition nature of the whole deal.

The story I decided to tell was actually chosen by all the freaking mail I’ve had since The First Heretic went live. “What did Lorgar witness in the Eye of Terror?”

Good question, 500,000 people. I’ll get back to you all on that later this year.

- One of the short stories I’ll be doing is the prologue / teaser / test for my potential future Rise of the Warmaster series, featuring Abaddon the Despoiler in the years after the defeated Legions retreat to the Eye.

- My Grey Knights novel has the working title of The Emperor’s Gift. In a spot of intriguing news, and with no spoilers allowed, it has a strong tie to Dan’s Eisenhorn/Ravenor series, and it’s set in the same era. But neither of us are saying a word more about it, yet. The phone line has burned over this one, and to say I’m excited as all hell would still be an understatement. If it doesn’t rock on toast, you have my permission to shoot me in the face.

- Yeah, I’m doing another Horus Heresy novel, but not in 2011. No, I can’t say what it’s about yet. It’s still a long way away, and I have more immediate stuff I want to write."

There are several more short stories and talk of audiobooks, but that's already admitting enough, I reckon.

Hope that helps.
AD-B

Postby AD-B » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:00 pm

Xisor wrote:Salutations, Aaron!

It was killer to meet you, dude. A genuine pleasure.

Hope you've recovered well from the weekend. You mentioned I ought bring up Gordon Rennie's Gothic War books, but as I took up the opportunity to try harass you about 'more space battles' in your Q&A, I had a wee idea I'd front to you. You mentioned a sizeable chunk of space battle that was cut from The First Heretic as you felt it overshadowed/detracted from the significance of the other Dropsite Massacre scenes.

Any chance you'd be able harass (on our [my] behalf) to release that as, y'know, a 'deleted scene' either via your blog, a Hammer & Bolter short (possibly with explanatory blurb on why it was cut [I'm thinking as a way to pitch/justify/endear it to the editors]) or even just on here?

That's... actually a possibility. I was going through it earlier today after reading this thread, and there's about 9,000 words of it, the best part of two sizable chapters. The rub comes when I'm now seeing a lot of stuff I could re-use, because it's some yummy void-duelling, and it could in another novel with some chopping and changing.

So I'm not sure. Hmmm.

Xisor wrote:The Gothic War: Execution Hour/Shadowpoint

Loved 'em to bits. How come you've not killed some people to try'n write the third one? That, of course, presupposes that you actually like the books. I'd have tried to persuade him to do so at a signing last year, but he pulled out (not in a bawdy, innuendo-laden style) at the last moment and so I never did get to have them signed (nor to pressure/annoy him in person).

In a bit of a coincidence, back when I was very, very new - with Cadian Blood still being written - the editors at BL sent me photocopies of those two novels, and mentioned that there was vague, unconfirmed talk of the series getting finished.

While I'm about the most colossally arrogant guy going, and I think I could tell a decent tale with that series, I honestly don't think I'd do it justice. I absolutely adore those novels, and while it'd be an honour to contribute to them, I wouldn't ever do it without Gorden Rennie's active encouragement, because I have a lot of respect for his work. Seeing as that's unlikely, I'd rather dance away from taking the series in a direction he might not have wanted.

I'd love to see more Imperial Navy novels, though.
AD-B

Postby Duke_Leto » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:42 am

AD-B wrote:I'd love to see more Imperial Navy novels, though.

I second that! 8-)

Might be strange to ask a question about another author but do you know why Gordon Rennie did not complete the Gothic War trilogy (maybe you do but cannot say)? Real shame as these are amongst my favourite books.
Duke_Leto

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:18 pm

Did Katie say yes? (Forgive me if this has been asked before - I'm new to this sub-forum.)
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Xisor » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:12 am

AD-B wrote:That's... actually a possibility. I was going through it earlier today after reading this thread, and there's about 9,000 words of it, the best part of two sizable chapters. The rub comes when I'm now seeing a lot of stuff I could re-use, because it's some yummy void-duelling, and it could in another novel with some chopping and changing.

So I'm not sure. Hmmm.

Hmm, well, that's good news of sorts! I strongly suggest releasing immediately and making new stuff for future writings. [/bias]

AD-B wrote:In a bit of a coincidence, back when I was very, very new - with Cadian Blood still being written - the editors at BL sent me photocopies of those two novels, and mentioned that there was vague, unconfirmed talk of the series getting finished.

While I'm about the most colossally arrogant guy going, and I think I could tell a decent tale with that series, I honestly don't think I'd do it justice. I absolutely adore those novels, and while it'd be an honour to contribute to them, I wouldn't ever do it without Gorden Rennie's active encouragement, because I have a lot of respect for his work. Seeing as that's unlikely, I'd rather dance away from taking the series in a direction he might not have wanted.

Entirely understandable. I'd say that, of all the authors BLP's had this last while, you're probably the only one whose styles seem to allow a proper compatibility with Rennie's. Of course, it'd be daft to think you'd simply imitate too, but there's no reason that other books, perhaps only touching on some of the ideas, couldn't be written. As a so-called man once said: "I'd love to see more Imperial Navy novels, though".

(You've mentioned vague plans on the Abaddon/Black Legion front, perhaps an entire arc dedicated to the Gothic War?)

For me, the Gothic War, alongside Armageddon, are pretty much the core of what got me into 40k, so I'm always eager to see more of that in detail (possibly part of the fondness I have for Helsreach), but I do recall a curious mention of a squadron of Gothic-sector cruisers being deployed as part of the 13th Black Crusade and, I think, being responsible for the destruction of something dear to Abaddon (either the PK or a Blackstone).

Suffice to say: harass the BLP chappies to corral Rennie into letting his fingers produce something awesome. Or failing that, into having him set about actively encouraging some other person to do so. (Or saying "No, no chance, never!" and dashing my hopes completely.)

Anyway, that's enough of a ramble from me. Toodle-oo.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:57 pm

Will you be writing another novel set in the HH franchise, if so can you give us any hints on which legion or perspective it will be based.
Ghost Hunter

Postby worldkiller » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:28 pm

Other than the Night Lords and Grey Knights, who else do you plan to write about in the 40k universe?
worldkiller

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:23 pm

AD-B wrote:
Razhbad wrote:Dear ADB,

I have some stuff I want to pitch, but that's not the same as stuff I'm definitely doing. Like, I want to do an Abaddon/Black Legion long-term series, but it doesn't exist outside my head. I haven't pitched it, yet.
Wait a long-term series?, do you mean like Gaunt's Ghosts and Gotrek and Felix?

If so then this series must come to be, a 40k Astartes series like that seems inevitable but if its Chaos instead then its far more awesome.

Lord of the Night
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby AD-B » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:05 pm

Duke_Leto wrote:
AD-B wrote:I'd love to see more Imperial Navy novels, though.

I second that! 8-)

Might be strange to ask a question about another author but do you know why Gordon Rennie did not complete the Gothic War trilogy (maybe you do but cannot say)? Real shame as these are amongst my favourite books.

It's not something I've asked, but if I remember, I'll do it next time. I think he's heavily involved in Judge Dredd again, but I'm not sure.

Chun the Unavoidable wrote:Did Katie say yes? (Forgive me if this has been asked before - I'm new to this sub-forum.)

She did, yeah. We're getting married this summer, on July 5th. I'm sure there'll be photos surfacing. BL may even show some of the video on their site, given the number of authors there.

Ghost Hunter wrote:Will you be writing another novel set in the HH franchise, if so can you give us any hints on which legion or perspective it will be based.

I definitely will. The Horus Heresy series is a bit of a bittersweet deal for me, because I joined so late that the other guys had either reserved (or already written) the major canon events we've all been reading about for the last 10-20 years, and I'm probably the least enthusiastic member of the team for wanting to invent new events in the Age of Darkness. Or, to be more accurate, I'm keen to show the new, great, grand events, but I'd liked to have been able to do some older canon (before the Siege of Terra) at some point, too.

2011 is a quiet year for my releases, but a busy one for writing. Although only Blood Reaver is being released, I'm writing First Claw (the end of Night Lords trilogy), and my first Grey Knights novel. As it happens, after that, I'll be writing my next HH novel. So it's a long way off, but yes, I'm doing more of them. I'm actually the 4th permanent member of the team, after Dan, Graham and Jim. Gav is the 5th. (Based on order of joining.)

It's too early to say what it's about, but several of us recently had to change what our next HH novels were going to be, because of schedule alterations. I don't think it's going to be news to anyone to say that I'll be going back to the Word Bearers at some point.

worldkiller wrote:Other than the Night Lords and Grey Knights, who else do you plan to write about in the 40k universe?

It's difficult to make plans. A lot of what I'd like to write is essentially tied up by other authors (as I'm sure I'm tying up work for people who'd love to pitch for Night Lords or Grey Knights, or whatever). I'd like to pitch a Blood Angels book, though. Or an Ultramarine one. No hard intentions to do it, as I'm essentially working solidly to a schedule for the next three years, but eventually I'd like to touch one of the "Big 4" Marine Chapters.

Lord of the Night wrote:Wait a long-term series?, do you mean like Gaunt's Ghosts and Gotrek and Felix?

That's exactly what I mean.

Xisor wrote:(You've mentioned vague plans on the Abaddon/Black Legion front, perhaps an entire arc dedicated to the Gothic War?)

That'd be a delicious, delicious possibility.
AD-B

Postby flick » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:30 pm

Mr Aaron

Are you excited/bothered about the space marine game coming out on the consoles? Are you a console player?
flick

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:13 pm

AD-B wrote:I definitely will. The Horus Heresy series is a bit of a bittersweet deal for me, because I joined so late that the other guys had either reserved (or already written) the major canon events we've all been reading about for the last 10-20 years, and I'm probably the least enthusiastic member of the team for wanting to invent new events in the Age of Darkness. Or, to be more accurate, I'm keen to show the new, great, grand events, but I'd liked to have been able to do some older canon (before the Siege of Terra) at some point, too.

2011 is a quiet year for my releases, but a busy one for writing. Although only Blood Reaver is being released, I'm writing First Claw (the end of Night Lords trilogy), and my first Grey Knights novel. As it happens, after that, I'll be writing my next HH novel. So it's a long way off, but yes, I'm doing more of them. I'm actually the 4th permanent member of the team, after Dan, Graham and Jim. Gav is the 5th. (Based on order of joining.)

It's too early to say what it's about, but several of us recently had to change what our next HH novels were going to be, because of schedule alterations. I don't think it's going to be news to anyone to say that I'll be going back to the Word Bearers at some point.
Are there any major events that haven't been taken yet that you want? In fact another question. Out of the important events covered by the authors already, which of those would you have been interested in writing about?

Shame about the light releases but the content of what you write more than makes up for it. You write about the best stuff, Night Lords, Grey Knights, etc. Can you give us any hints as to your next HH novel?

AD-B wrote:It's difficult to make plans. A lot of what I'd like to write is essentially tied up by other authors (as I'm sure I'm tying up work for people who'd love to pitch for Night Lords or Grey Knights, or whatever). I'd like to pitch a Blood Angels book, though. Or an Ultramarine one. No hard intentions to do it, as I'm essentially working solidly to a schedule for the next three years, but eventually I'd like to touch one of the "Big 4" Marine Chapters.
Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Imperial Fists and Salamanders?

You did such a good job with the Black Templars, or Grimaldus at least, in Helsreach so seeing your take on their parent-chapter would be interesting. Each author is associated with a Space Marine chapter. Graham McNeill has the Ultramarines, Jim Swallow the Blood Angels and Nick Kyme the Salamanders. Perhaps the Imperial Fists could be yours.

AD-B wrote:That's exactly what I mean.
You. Are. Awesome.
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Xisor » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:34 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Imperial Fists and Salamanders?

I think he means Blood Angels/Dark Angels/Space Wolves/Ultras. (Though BT sometimes get a word in there.) I.e. the 3rd Ed ones who had their own codices (well, Ultras in place of BT for 3rd Ed, hence confusion).
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors