Ask... ANDY HOARE

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Ask... ANDY HOARE

Postby Pyroriffic » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:45 pm

Address all your questions to ANDY HOARE here.

PLEASE AVOID ANSWERING A QUESTION UNLESS THE AUTHOR HAS HAD A CHANCE TO DO IT FIRST!

Also, please note these are not general discussion threads. The clue's in the name.

Thanks.

Andy Hoare's official Black Library page can be found here.

The original 'Ask Andy' thread can be found at the archive site here.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Re: Ask... ANDY HOARE

Postby Duke_Leto » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:37 pm

Andy - really enjoyed Rogue Star and Star of Damocles. We really need more Rogue Trader novels! Also good to see you working on the W40k RPG range.

Next book I am about to read is Savage Scars. I understand that:

Spoiler: Brielle Garrit appears in this book

So is this a direct sequel or just another story that inhabits the same area of space (if that makes sense)?
Last edited by Duke_Leto on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duke_Leto

Postby Andy Hoare » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:09 pm

Hey mate!

It is indeed the 3rd part of the story, but as it was a while since I wrote Star of Damocles I wrote Savage Scars so that it works on its own too, for those who hadn't read the first two books.
Andy Hoare

Postby Duke_Leto » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:23 pm

Andy Hoare wrote:Hey mate!

It is indeed the 3rd part of the story, but as it was a while since I wrote Star of Damocles I wrote Savage Scars so that it works on its own too, for those who hadn't read the first two books.

Excellent I look forward to it being my next read.
Duke_Leto

Postby Xisor » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:39 pm

Andy!

Eagerly trying to rip through Victories of the Space Marines in an effort to get closer in the pile to Savage Scar, but a quick note to say I rather enjoyed Hunt for Voldorius. Found the Scars/Raven Guard dynamic to be much more interesting than I'd previously considered and felt the book as a whole did the job rather nicely indeed.

An offhand criticism, if you don't mind, would be to say I felt you could've went a bit 'broader' with how the unnamed/NPC Alpha Legionnaires behaved towards the end of the book. There was good detailing on the spread of the White Scars and Raven Guard, giving them the feeling of being very much 'active' even if they weren't on-screen or particularly critical characters in the plot. With the Alpha Legion, I felt this was perhaps an opportunity missed in highlighting how the third Astartes force interacts/reacts with everything beyond/beside Voldorius' and Nullus' own nefarious doings.

Hmm, that ballooned a bit, but it's not exactly a proper complaint, so not to worry.

On to more stuff, I really liked the Teleporter Scene. A firm favourite and standout in the midst of a neat pile of rather endearing scenes. Considering that both Age of Darkness and Victories of the Space Marines have a few significant teleporter bits, it should hopefully not be too sycophantic to say that the early scene in Hunt was a sheer delight.

---

A rather simple question

What's up next on the schedule? Any longer-term plans/hopes, perhaps?
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Andy Hoare » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:53 pm

Hey Xisor (good to meet you at BL Live, hope you enjoyed it!)

On the Alpha Legion, I've noticed since Dan wrote his (most excellent) 'Legion' I've had a fair few comments about them. As it happens, I hadn't read Legion when I wrote Voldorius, and I'm sort of glad, as I may have been overly tempted to play up the 'black ops' character Dan established, possibly at the expense of more important plot elements. I guess after Nullus had done his thing there weren't any other Alpha Legionnaires around to fill the character void, so I take that criticism on board.

As far as new stuff goes, I have a book with the editors, and I'm literally just about to open the dreaded feedback email, so watch this space!

Cheers mate

Andy
Andy Hoare

Postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:57 pm

Will there be a second white scares novel to follow on from Savage scars?
Ghost Hunter

Postby Duke_Leto » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:30 am

Duke_Leto wrote:
Andy Hoare wrote:Hey mate!

Excellent I look forward to it being my next read.

As it has been so long since Rogue Star and Star of Damocles were published (and read by me) I have decided to re-read them before starting in on Savage Scars (read a couple of reviews to see if that helped my memory but want to read them again).

Couple more questions then Andy...

1. Why not call this latest book "Savage Stars"? Yes I know it is about the White Scars but it would have been kind of neat to tie it implicitly to the Gerrit series by including "stars" in the title?

2 If I recall correctly there is a scene in Rogue Star that involves:

Spoiler: an orgy

Now I felt this fitted very well with the story and was a nice "adult" theme to include in W40k (and why not, violence is after all hopefully a very adult theme). It kind of reminded me of Ian Watson's approach to 40k. So was this scene considered controversial by the editorial department?

P.S. Good to see you interviewed by BLTV
Duke_Leto

Postby Andy Hoare » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:12 pm

Duke_Leto wrote:1. Why not call this latest book "Savage Stars"? Yes I know it is about the White Scars but it would have been kind of neat to tie it implicitly to the Gerrit series by including "stars" in the title?

That was one of the possible names I submitted as it happens. By that time the cover was completed, so the name that linked more to the White Scars seemed more appropriate.

Duke_Leto wrote:2 If I recall correctly there is a scene in Rogue Star that involves:

Spoiler: an orgy

Now I felt this fitted very well with the story and was a nice "adult" theme to include in W40k (and why not, violence is after all hopefully a very adult theme). It kind of reminded me of Ian Watson's approach to 40k. So was this scene considered controversial by the editorial department?

Well, the scene in question is the aftermath of *something* (exactly what is up to you to decide!). I broadly agree though, I was going for a fairly grown up tone. It wasn't considered controversial - if I recall, the only comment in that chapter was a request for clarity as to who was wearing what in the last few paragraphs ;)

Glad you liked the trailer! I hate seeing myself on film (though I was shown in the audience of Playaway once!) so I haven't watched it all the way through...
Andy Hoare

Postby Pyroriffic » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:22 pm

Andy Hoare wrote:Glad you liked the trailer! I hate seeing myself on film (though I was shown in the audience of Playaway once!) so I haven't watched it all the way through...

ZOMGOOSE!

I remember that. Brian Cant.

Great. Now the theme tune is in my head.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby Lord of the Night » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:29 pm

Ser Hoare,

Will there be a Rogue Trader omnibus at some point in the future?, I ask because I have been unable to buy the first two of the series and I would rather read them first before Savage Scars.

Lord of the Night
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Andy Hoare » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:38 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:Ser Hoare,

Will there be a Rogue Trader omnibus at some point in the future?, I ask because I have been unable to buy the first two of the series and I would rather read them first before Savage Scars.

Lord of the Night

Hey mate - I'd hope so, but couldn't say when. I'll ask BL next time I meet up with someone :)
Andy Hoare

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:24 pm

Andy Hoare wrote:
Lord of the Night wrote:Ser Hoare,

Lord of the Night

Hey mate - I'd hope so, but couldn't say when. I'll ask BL next time I meet up with someone :)
Thanks, if there was such an omnibus would you write some short stories to go along with it?

Oh and a question or two,

1. Your short story in Fear the Alien, Ambition Knows No Bounds. When is that set in terms of the series?

2. Since Savage Scars is not the start of an actual White Scars series I wonder if the latter is still a possibility. Would doing a full series, trilogy for example, about the Sons of the Khan be something you'd want to do?

3. Is there another famous Space Marines battle that you'd want to make into an SMB novel?

Lord of the Night
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Andy Hoare » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:49 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:1. Your short story in Fear the Alien, Ambition Knows No Bounds. When is that set in terms of the series?

It's set before the series (before Korvane joins the dynasty). Brielle's outlook on the future is therefore somewhat better!

Lord of the Night wrote:2. Since Savage Scars is not the start of an actual White Scars series I wonder if the latter is still a possibility. Would doing a full series, trilogy for example, about the Sons of the Khan be something you'd want to do?

I'd love to do more, as I feel I'm only just starting to get a handle on them. I may pitch a short story or two. I also wrote the end of Savage Scars in such a way as to make following the White Scars in the next step of their story a possibility.

Lord of the Night wrote:3. Is there another famous Space Marines battle that you'd want to make into an SMB novel?

It's almost certainly been bagged by a better author than me, but it would have to be the 1st Battle for Armageddon :)
Andy Hoare

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:34 pm

Oh Wow, First Battle of Armageddon. That's going to be very epic!!! Can you tell us who is writing it?

Also, I would love to read more about the White Scars. They have always been quite an interesting chapter and I eagerly wait more from you on the subject.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Andy Hoare » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:42 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:Oh Wow, First Battle of Armageddon. That's going to be very epic!!! Can you tell us who is writing it?

I didn't say anyone's writing it! I'm just guessing that its such an iconic battle that someone probably is, or will be at some point in the series.
Andy Hoare

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:51 pm

Ah... blame my hasty reading... i read it as someone had already gotten the job :D
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Duke_Leto » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:00 pm

Andy - with your large scale involvement in material for Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch and now Black Crusade is there any chance of some tie in novels (by you and/or by other authors)?

When Black Industries (a now defunct sub-division of Black Library) were launching Dark Heresy they commissioned Sandy Mitchell to write the excellent "Scourge The Heretic" and "Innocence Proves Nothing" (shame there wasn't a third) set in the Calixis Sector.

I kind of think your Rogue Trader series sort of feels like a retro-fit tie in for me (I know it isn't and is in fact set on the other side of the Galaxy!) But it is a shame we do not have a Rogue Trader novel(s) set in the Koronus Expanse!

Also while I believe Steve Parker is writing a Deathwatch novel I do not think this has anything to do with the Jericho Reach, which is a shame!

I know that when GW licenses their IP to other companies (in this case Fantasy Flight Games) they kind of leave it up to them in terms of tie-in or promotion - but I think it is a shame not to have more novels that do tie to the RPGs.

So what about you? How about a Black Crusade tie in novel set in the Screaming Vortex? OR for that matter how about an epic series spanning and linking together all four RPG settings?
Duke_Leto

Postby Duke_Leto » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:59 pm

Hmmph :cry: I guess Andy doesn't love the Bolthole anymore!
Duke_Leto

Postby Jim Shady » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:43 pm

Duke_Leto wrote:Hmmph :cry: I guess Andy doesn't love the Bolthole anymore!

Or he's busy and forgot about us? :(

Anyway!

Hope you are well Andy.

Would you like to write a Warhammer Fantasy novel?
Ah me lads, ye shud only seen us gannin',
We pass'd the foaks upon the road just as they wor stannin';
Thor wes lots o' lads an' lasses there, all wi' smiling faces,
Gawn alang the Scotswood Road, to see the Blaydon Races
Jim Shady

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors