Ask... GAV THORPE

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:19 pm

Xisor wrote:(Though I almost typed 'loins' there :shock: )

:shock:

In any case, any more collaborative pieces lines up?

Nothing at the moment, but I wouldn't rule out anything - it's possible if our schedules allow.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby sam vimes » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:38 pm

forgive me if this has already been asked but will we be seeing more on the fall out on the ending of Angels of darkness and how it affects the higher ups, as they must be aware of what was said in the interrogation and looking forward to more from Gesseret and the rebels, although with them I can't help but wonder what would happen if they started recruiting and building thier numbers up.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Xisor » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:09 am

Well, not to press to highly, but I strongly suggest more collaboration. Perhaps it isn't quite fair to say it's your 'forte' (as I doubt "collaboration" makes for a great personal quality outside of bizarre Human Resources criteria), but I would say it seems to work very well in you favour! I mean, bucketloads of your own work is excellent, but evidence suggest you might be better at collaboration than many of your peers. If anyone asks, I hope this post is enough to encourage an otherwise reluctant "I'll do it!" hand raising! :P

Anyway, I've just read through The Outcast Dead and started on Wibbly Wobbly Kyme-Wimey's Nocturne and, surprisingly, both of them have been significantly reminding me (in a good way) of more'n a few aspects of your own work in places. Though I've heard wobbly rumours about forthcoming Dark Angel books, I wonder if you've got much to say on what you think their place is in 'modern 40k' (as opposed/contrasted to or adapted from what you might have said 5/10 years ago)?
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:36 am

Hi Gav, given that some people have already had achance to pick up Deliverance Lost, I had a few questions regarding the information currently available on the interwebz.

Spoiler: Corax's first name is Corvus. Why that name in particular? Given this, is the mk 6 power armour really named after him?

Spoiler: The newest legion recruits are called the Raptors. Why that name in particular? Is it a continuation of the convention from Raven's Flight where the assault and tactical companies are called the Falcons and the Talons?

Taking it further, since the Raptors are also a second founding successor, are the red talons possible successors as well?

Sanguinius' death had an adverse reaction on the Blood Angels legion and their later successors. Will you be exploring, or already have in DL, how Corax's disappearance will affect the successors of the nineteenth legion?

As per the audio, given that the legion uses the former guard tower of the moon's jailers, are the people of Kiavahr exceptionally tall to account for how the astartes are comfortable in its rooms? Or is that the legion modified the internal structure of the tower as well as the obvious changes to the external architecture?

As per your own visions of Lycaeus, is the moon inhabited only by the legion and its serfs, army troops or are there civilian communities present? Or does the legion, and later chapter, recruit exclusively from Kiavahr?
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:17 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:Hi Gav, given that some people have already had achance to pick up Deliverance Lost, I had a few questions regarding the information currently available on the interwebz.

Spoiler: Corax's first name is Corvus. Why that name in particular? Given this, is the mk 6 power armour really named after him?

I didn't really go into his first name, other than it was given to him by the prisoners of Lycaeus. As to the second question, yes.

Spoiler: The newest legion recruits are called the Raptors. Why that name in particular? Is it a continuation of the convention from Raven's Flight where the assault and tactical companies are called the Falcons and the Talons?

Yes, it ties in with the other post-Istvaan formation names.

Taking it further, since the Raptors are also a second founding successor, are the red talons possible successors as well?

I don't know, it wasn't something I had in mind while writing the novel.

Sanguinius' death had an adverse reaction on the Blood Angels legion and their later successors. Will you be exploring, or already have in DL, how Corax's disappearance will affect the successors of the nineteenth legion?

There's a whole lot of post-heresy stuff that could be addressed, but that's so far off at the moment I haven't given any thought to how it might be covered.

As per the audio, given that the legion uses the former guard tower of the moon's jailers, are the people of Kiavahr exceptionally tall to account for how the astartes are comfortable in its rooms? Or is that the legion modified the internal structure of the tower as well as the obvious changes to the external architecture?

Post-revolution, most of the central tower that becomes Ravenspire would have been adjusted for the Legiones Astartes occupants.

As per your own visions of Lycaeus, is the moon inhabited only by the legion and its serfs, army troops or are there civilian communities present? Or does the legion, and later chapter, recruit exclusively from Kiavahr?

At the time of the Heresy there were non-Raven Guard on the moon, including Remembrancers, proto-Administratum officials and such, upper echelon members of the Therion cohort Imperial Army division that accompanied the Raven Guard; bear in mind that most of the time a legion (or present day chapter) would not actually be on its home world, but off fighting.

Cheers,

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:32 pm

Much thanks for the info Gav :)
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby Vivia » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:37 pm

Dennis the Hamster wrote:There's a whole lot of post-heresy stuff that could be addressed, but that's so far off at the moment I haven't given any thought to how it might be covered.

Mysterious.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:40 am

“Nineteen,” he said. “I am number nineteen.”

Gav, are you trying to write a horror story here? Because that line definitely gave me shivers.

Thanks for the extract!

shadowhawk2008

Postby Liliedhe » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:18 am

Corax is a gentleman. Just, somebody should have told him that flowers normally work better than heads...

That was just so cute in a very special WH way. :mrgreen:

Can't wait for the book.
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Uncle Le » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:16 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:
“Nineteen,” he said. “I am number nineteen.”

Gav, are you trying to write a horror story here? Because that line definitely gave me shivers.
Thanks for the extract!

Number Nineteen!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&v=DAv3S2Tx6u8&gl=US
:mrgreen:
Uncle Le

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:20 pm

I don't get it ....

shadowhawk2008

Postby Liliedhe » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:36 am

I finished Deliverance Lost yesterday. It was awesome :). Corax effortlessly shoulders his way into my top three Primarchs...^^ I couldn't help but notice that some threads where deliberately left dangling - can we hope for more Raven Guard coolness?

I also have some questions:

Spoiler: The prologue - which the reader assums to be written by Corax, quotes the poem "Ozymandias" by Percy Bysshe Shelley. I liked that... And then in the story the Emperor used "the other one", the other Ozymandias poem for his secret lab... Why that? Why didn't he use the famous one, too? I'm sure there is a very thoughtful reason for this and I would be interested to hear it, if you can tell me.

Spoiler: Will we ever learn what exactly Agapito did at the Dropsite? During the entire book, he's dragged before the reader's nose as a red herring (at least it felt like that for a prolific reader of crime stories^^ like me), and that surfs as a further hint he has something to hide. Will we ever learn what it is? Or is "I killed over a hundred Astartes" all that we are going to get?

Spoiler: Same for Valerius' telepathic connection to Corax... Will this be addressed again? I was surprised that Corax seems to be unaware of it - when in Raven's Flight it sounded like he was somehow doing it deliberately.

Spoiler: Not a question, just a comment... ;) I can't shake the feeling the Alpha Legion has bitten off far more than it can chew.^^

I might have more questions, when I can remember them. I should take notes while reading ;).
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:51 am

Liliedhe wrote:I finished Deliverance Lost yesterday. It was awesome :). Corax effortlessly shoulders his way into my top three Primarchs...^^ I couldn't help but notice that some threads where deliberately left dangling - can we hope for more Raven Guard coolness?

I also have some questions:

Spoiler: The prologue - which the reader assums to be written by Corax, quotes the poem "Ozymandias" by Percy Bysshe Shelley. I liked that... And then in the story the Emperor used "the other one", the other Ozymandias poem for his secret lab... Why that? Why didn't he use the famous one, too? I'm sure there is a very thoughtful reason for this and I would be interested to hear it, if you can tell me.

You can assume it is written by Corax, I'm not saying anything... It's more a matter of my authoriness and the Fall of Civilisation vibe than an in-universe reference, if that makes sense.

Spoiler: Will we ever learn what exactly Agapito did at the Dropsite? During the entire book, he's dragged before the reader's nose as a red herring (at least it felt like that for a prolific reader of crime stories^^ like me), and that surfs as a further hint he has something to hide. Will we ever learn what it is? Or is "I killed over a hundred Astartes" all that we are going to get?

I don't expect to go back to the dropsite in any detail, though it is something I will bear in mind if I get the chance to write more about the Raven Guard.

Spoiler: Same for Valerius' telepathic connection to Corax... Will this be addressed again? I was surprised that Corax seems to be unaware of it - when in Raven's Flight it sounded like he was somehow doing it deliberately.

I would definitely like to do some more with the Therions, but again I wouldn't be so quick to assume the connection is to Corax...

Spoiler: Not a question, just a comment... ;) I can't shake the feeling the Alpha Legion has bitten off far more than it can chew.^^

Quite possibly.

I might have more questions, when I can remember them. I should take notes while reading ;).

Bring them on!

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Liliedhe » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:11 pm

Dennis the Hamster wrote:You can assume it is written by Corax, I'm not saying anything... It's more a matter of my authoriness and the Fall of Civilisation vibe than an in-universe reference, if that makes sense.

*g* Well, it is the obvious assumption. I'm very much not sure and have another author in mind^^.

Dennis the Hamster wrote:I don't expect to go back to the dropsite in any detail, though it is something I will bear in mind if I get the chance to write more about the Raven Guard.

Which leads to the obvious question whether you will write more about the Raven Guard *hopeful puppydog eyes* ? I sense several deliberately dangling plot threads, after all...

Dennis the Hamster wrote:I would definitely like to do some more with the Therions, but again I wouldn't be so quick to assume the connection is to Corax...

Hm. It never occurred to me it might be to someone else - since he doesn't just see the dying Ravens, but also the conversation with the Emperor. Of course, put that way... It might actually be a connection to the Big E himself in some way...

Spoiler: Although Corax' "If I need you, you will know" (paraphrased) seems to indicate otherwise. That Marcus can eavesdrop on another conversation is weird, though...

Dennis the Hamster wrote:Bring them on!

Gav

:mrgreen: Believe me, I will...

Spoiler: One thing that I found very remarkable about Corax' memories of his upbringing is the role of women/girls in it. it has always been a source of ... puzzlement to me that in 18 Primarchs, NONE were raised by a woman, in fact all who actually were raised by someone seemed to be raised either by entirely male collectives or by single men. Was it intentional that you decided to subvert this with Corax by giving him a 'girlfriend'? Logically, of course, Lycaeus has to have female prisoners, too, otherwise they'd hardly have generations of captives on the moon^^.

Liliedhe

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:02 am

Gav, will we be seeing the Tyrannic War Veterans, Cassius's own "veterans formation", in Catechism of Hate?

shadowhawk2008

Postby Xisor » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:41 pm

Hello Gav,

Just finished Deliverance Lost. Adored it. A question, if I'm able.

Borges &/or Eco: I detect a very strong hint of their influence in DL. I recall you'd made a big/bald reference in The Thorians with Inquisitor Umberco Eto. It's a delight to see, especially moulded and shaped and carried off into new areas as you've managed to do. How conscious was this for you (and how is it in your writing generally, that is: the significant style of particularly distinctive authors)?

(To run off in a similar direction, it's an aspect I liked massively in 'The City in the North' [I forget the proper name of the chapter] in Malekith. To say it had allusions to Lovecraft would be somewhat understating the matter! 8-) )

As I'm here, I might as well ask another question: What's on the go at the moment? Outcast and Dark Angels, something extra?

Now, to read the other 'latest questions'...

Edit: Actually, I was reminded of something with regards to Mr Valerius.

Spoiler: He seems in a nice place to become involved with a certain organisation of later...significance. Was this a thought that had been entertained by you, even if seemingly a bit nebulous or undefined at present?

"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:57 am

Liliedhe wrote:
Dennis the Hamster wrote:

Spoiler: One thing that I found very remarkable about Corax' memories of his upbringing is the role of women/girls in it. it has always been a source of ... puzzlement to me that in 18 Primarchs, NONE were raised by a woman, in fact all who actually were raised by someone seemed to be raised either by entirely male collectives or by single men. Was it intentional that you decided to subvert this with Corax by giving him a 'girlfriend'? Logically, of course, Lycaeus has to have female prisoners, too, otherwise they'd hardly have generations of captives on the moon^^.

It is unfortunate that the established history of the Primarchs is lady-lite, but perhaps that explains why so many of them ended up so naughty - no mummy love to set them on the right course.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:59 am

shadowhawk2008 wrote:Gav, will we be seeing the Tyrannic War Veterans, Cassius's own "veterans formation", in Catechism of Hate?

Not by that moniker. There are some Space Marines under his command who are veterans, and have fought Tyranids. I've always felt that a separate term/ unit for Tyrannic War Veterans was a bit suspect - nearly every Ultramarine that survived Macragge or since is a veteran of fighting Tyranids, marking them out because they have some special gear just confuses the organisation and terminology.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:04 pm

Well, it was a rather half-hearted attempt in the 4th Ed. codex to give the Ultramarines of those days some "personality".

That said, Cassius appears to be a more fervent character in the 5th Ed. codex and the part with Marneus being mindful of his mentor's new "formation" is high think one of the more interesting bits of background for the Ultramarines.

shadowhawk2008

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:15 pm

Xisor wrote:Hello Gav,

Just finished Deliverance Lost. Adored it. A question, if I'm able.

Borges &/or Eco: I detect a very strong hint of their influence in DL. I recall you'd made a big/bald reference in The Thorians with Inquisitor Umberco Eto. It's a delight to see, especially moulded and shaped and carried off into new areas as you've managed to do. How conscious was this for you (and how is it in your writing generally, that is: the significant style of particularly distinctive authors)?

That's very nice of you to say so. I can't claim that I set out deliberately with that aim in mind, but there are certain themes in 40k, and particularly the Heresy, which can be treated with a less literal touch than might be the case in other universes. It is a creation replete with its own symbology, and the HH is set up as an intertextual experience beyond simple continuity. I thick it is this richness of the tapestry (and Primarchs leading Legions of Space Marines) that has added appeal beyond the 'normal' 40K novels. In particular, the growing relevance of Chaos and the warp in both sides of the Heresy is going to be particularly important and fascinating.

(To run off in a similar direction, it's an aspect I liked massively in 'The City in the North' [I forget the proper name of the chapter] in Malekith. To say it had allusions to Lovecraft would be somewhat understating the matter! 8-) )

That, on the other hand, was a very deliberate homage to Lovecraft - I remember being very pleased at the time that Lindsey replied whilst editing that it has a At the Mountains of Madness feel about the whole episode. I am intrigued by the image of strange cities, particularly empty ones. As well as Lovecraft, I blame Robert E. Howard's influence on me as a teenager, in particular The Slithering Shadow/ Xuthal of the Dusk and Red Nails.

As I'm here, I might as well ask another question: What's on the go at the moment? Outcast and Dark Angels, something extra?

Outcast mostly, and planning Angry Robot book #3, The Crown of the Usurper. Then thinking about Dark Angels, Dwarfs and *something else* (not BL or AR... 8-) ).

Now, to read the other 'latest questions'...

Edit: Actually, I was reminded of something with regards to Mr Valerius.

Spoiler: He seems in a nice place to become involved with a certain organisation of later...significance. Was this a thought that had been entertained by you, even if seemingly a bit nebulous or undefined at present?

It has occured to me, but no final decision has been made yet.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors