Ask... GAV THORPE

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby teessider » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:40 pm

Hi Gav

Do you think you will write more about the high elves in the future? maybe a story on Caledor Dragontamer since you've already wrote one on Aenarion!? Really took a shine to them after the TOL trilogy!!
teessider

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:38 am

shadowhawk2008 wrote:For some reason I am kind of seeing less and less differences between Alpharius and the Lion. Just a weird thought I get now and then. :lol:

Not entirely coincidental... Watch for more in The Lion novella (and of course Alpha Legion hijinks in Deliverance Lost) ;)

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 am

Liliedhe wrote:I recently finished Angels of Darkness and I just wanted to tell how much I liked it. The end made me cry, honestly. You were not wrong. Kind of echoed Darth Vader's last words for me...

You can join Xhalax in the 'Cried at the end of Angels of Darkness' club 8-)

It is a poignant moment, and I'm thinking of exploring what happens with the Dark Angels when they receive Boreas's message in my upcoming trilogy...

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:42 am

Eroldren wrote:After watching couple videos that you spilled some of upcoming novel project - will your Times of Legends vampire trilogy have any material* directly out from the second Nagash novel Mr. Thrope? Lore/reading material that I may need to catch-up onto to better understand the vampires' struggles and motivations etc.

* The creation of the vampire founders I believe.

I don't think I'll be delving too much into the prehistory of the vampires - I'll be concentrating on the 'current' narrative of the von Carsteins - but certainly the intention is to explore their nature and mindset in a lot of detail.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:43 am

Geedubya wrote:To Gav and/or Dennis,

In your upcoming novella focusing on Lion El'Jonson, will we be seeing any of what Zahariel is getting up to back on Caliban?

Cheers,
8-)

Fraid not. The novella focusses on the Lion himself, who is far, far away from Caliban during the present phase of the HH timeline.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:45 am

Vivia wrote:I greatly enjoyed the short story Rewards of Tolerance, it touched on a subject not often discussed.
I think it brought up many interesting questions about the dynamics of the SM renegade life, the vulnerability it brought along with the disintegration of their brotherhood and building suspicion.
The subtle hints that the renegade-life wasn't all that fabulous were fascinating and the Eldar's presence reflected on this.
It was refreshing to see that their treachery was told without any judgement and not fully explained.

Will you continue to explore this subject in coming stories or in the future?
I know the SM are done to death but certain ideas are more interesting than others. :)

I am certainly hoping to pen more tales of of Gessart and company. If you want to learn a little more about why they are in the situation they are in, pick up a copy of Heroes of the Space Marines.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:47 am

Tim the Corsair wrote:Not really a question, but I just wanted to say that I have finally gotten around to reading Angels of Darkness.

I had hesitated over it for a long time, even though I loved the idea, and I just wanted to say that I am extremely glad that I finally picked it up, as it launched very high up my list of favourite Black Library novels.

The depth, the subtlety, the beauty of Astellan and Boreas' interactions and the intertwining plots is simply delightful. Insanely impressed, and really looking forward to your upcoming work.

Thanks. AoD is still one of my favourite 40K novels - good to see it is now available on digital download :D

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:49 am

teessider wrote:Hi Gav

Do you think you will write more about the high elves in the future? maybe a story on Caledor Dragontamer since you've already wrote one on Aenarion!? Really took a shine to them after the TOL trilogy!!

Glad you've enjoyed The Sundering. I would like to do more elfy stories int he future, and the Dragontamer would be a great subject; nothing on the schedule for the moment though.

Cheers,

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:52 am

Dennis the Hamster wrote:
shadowhawk2008 wrote:For some reason I am kind of seeing less and less differences between Alpharius and the Lion. Just a weird thought I get now and then. :lol:

Not entirely coincidental... Watch for more in The Lion novella (and of course Alpha Legion hijinks in Deliverance Lost) ;)

Gav

Liliedhe wrote:I recently finished Angels of Darkness and I just wanted to tell how much I liked it. The end made me cry, honestly. You were not wrong. Kind of echoed Darth Vader's last words for me...

It is a poignant moment, and I'm thinking of exploring what happens with the Dark Angels when they receive Boreas's message in my upcoming trilogy...

Gav

Sir, I /bow down to you! More details about the upcoming trilogy please!
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Liliedhe » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:58 pm

Gav

That sounds amazing, I would love to read that. :) And I'll better go stock up on tissues... :P

I've also recently gotten Purging of Kadillus. When I opened the book and saw the first Chapter was called "The Tale of Boreas" I had a major moment of creepy, like the guy was speaking from beyond the grave. Well, of course it's a prequel, but the similar format looked... unsettling. Deja vu all over again, so to speak. :lol:
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Vivia » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Dennis the Hamster wrote:I am certainly hoping to pen more tales of of Gessart and company. If you want to learn a little more about why they are in the situation they are in, pick up a copy of Heroes of the Space Marines.

Thank you.
Yes, more renegade action! They deserve love too. Hopefully the Avenging Sons have found their way to the EoT by then. :)
Time to get some e-books again.

A Dark Angel trilogy sounds most interesting. Mhm mhm.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:38 pm

Bummed that I had to miss your cafe session, but thanks for the book/programme signings!

Definitely some great times today while in the queues.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:45 pm

Finally got the chance to listen to Raven's Flight today. It is an absolutely amazing audio drama and I got to say that my favourite part was Corax's ruminations and his regrets. It was totally an emotional moment and I loved it.

A couple questions though.

1. Is the Commander of the assault companies named Alany or Alani? Or is it some other spelling?
2. Where did the idea for Corax's whip come from?

shadowhawk2008

Postby Jim Shady » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:41 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:Finally got the chance to listen to Raven's Flight today. It is an absolutely amazing audio drama and I got to say that my favourite part was Corax's ruminations and his regrets. It was totally an emotional moment and I loved it.

1. Is the Commander of the assault companies named Alany or Alani? Or is it some other spelling?

I thought Corax's whip was owned by his former masters when he was a slave before he started the revolt/uprising?
Ah me lads, ye shud only seen us gannin',
We pass'd the foaks upon the road just as they wor stannin';
Thor wes lots o' lads an' lasses there, all wi' smiling faces,
Gawn alang the Scotswood Road, to see the Blaydon Races
Jim Shady

Postby Xisor » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:29 pm

Gav, a note to say I thoroughly enjoyed The Curse of Shaa-dom, how closely have you worked/conferred with Andy Chambers?

It's perhaps the most enjoyable dovetailing of stories by different authors so far in BLP. Of course, I imagine it's made much easier by their brevity, but they're really rather excellent, pushing out in very different directions too.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:35 pm

Jim Shady wrote:I thought Corax's whip was owned by his former masters when he was a slave before he started the revolt/uprising?

Corax had it made especially for himself by the Mechanicus as some sort of ironic homage to his background. It's a rather unusual weapon in 40k and I was wondering how the idea came about.

shadowhawk2008

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:56 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:Finally got the chance to listen to Raven's Flight today. It is an absolutely amazing audio drama and I got to say that my favourite part was Corax's ruminations and his regrets. It was totally an emotional moment and I loved it.

Hi (was good to meet you!),

1. He is Commander Aloni.
2. Not sure, I just thought it would be a cool image to slice Terminators into three bits... The whole ironic slave weapon was also appealing.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:59 pm

Xisor wrote:Gav, a note to say I thoroughly enjoyed The Curse of Shaa-dom, how closely have you worked/conferred with Andy Chambers?

It's perhaps the most enjoyable dovetailing of stories by different authors so far in BLP. Of course, I imagine it's made much easier by their brevity, but they're really rather excellent, pushing out in very different directions too.

For these two stories we collaborated closely and exchanged quite a few emails during the set-up. I really like Andy's style; as I said at the time there is something of the Robert E. Howard about Treasure of Biel-Tanigh. The backstory is inspired by events that will be revealed in Path of the Renegade (which is fantastic, by the way :P ) and we thought it would be cool to have a tangential tie-in to the Path of the Eldar series. It was great to work with Andy again!

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:01 pm

Dennis the Hamster wrote:2. Not sure, I just thought it would be a cool image to slice Terminators into three bits..

More of this in Deliverance Lost please.

I asked because I am planning out a Dropsite Massacre story about the Salamanders and the Raven Guard. Pretty much the whole thing from deployment to the rescue by Valerius and Branne. Needed this slight bit of detail about Aloni. :)

shadowhawk2008

Postby Xisor » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:10 pm

Xisor wrote:Gav, a note to say I thoroughly enjoyed The Curse of Shaa-dom, how closely have you worked/conferred with Andy Chambers?

For these two stories we collaborated closely and exchanged quite a few emails during the set-up. I really like Andy's style; as I said at the time there is something of the Robert E. Howard about Treasure of Biel-Tanigh. The backstory is inspired by events that will be revealed in Path of the Renegade (which is fantastic, by the way :P ) and we thought it would be cool to have a tangential tie-in to the Path of the Eldar series. It was great to work with Andy again!

Gav

Excellent! (And I'm glad to hear PotR is fantastic too.)

It did tickle me nicely, so to speak, seeing what seemed to be (and indeed: was) the pair of you at it again. As I'm sure I've mentioned before, your The Torturer's Tale and Andy's Deus Ex Mechanicus made huge impressions on me in my earlier days with 40k, getting my mind open to precisely how excellent the fiction surrounding 40k could be, it's quite uplifting to see the newer fruits of your mutual labours. (Though I almost typed 'loins' there :shock: )

In any case, any more collaborative pieces lines up?
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors