Ask... GAV THORPE

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:12 pm

Jim Shady wrote: My question is, where can I get a rather nifty mechanical hamster?

On the dark side of the moon, somewhere over the rainbow, by the light of a hunter's moon...

(or probably somewhere like Firebox or IWOOT).

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:15 pm

Dark Angel wrote:Just reading over your blog, and you mention plans for a possible Dark Angels series. So, here's my questions -

1) Would you like to explore established characters further? I'd love to see more from Astelan, personally, but that's not going to happen, is it?

Not Astelan directly, though maybe he'll have cameos - one idea is to follow on from the end of AoD.

2) Glad to hear that you have further Horus Heresy plans, especially around the Lion. Now, seeing as the Dark Angels 'subseries' is pretty much dead in the water, do you have any intentions to finish that off?

Not dead, just paddling. The DA are far from being sideline in the ongoing story. The Lion is not going to be a sideshow...

3) When writing for Belath, did you have any intentions for him to survive the Heresy? An odd question, but that's something I'd love to know! :)

I think Belath will be making further appearances if possible, and his fate may be revealed.

Cheers,

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:20 pm

Diatribe wrote:Mr. Thorpe,

Quick question:

Was it a conscious decision to alter the events (as told per Astellen) in the book "Angels of Darkness" to be as what was told in the Horus Heresy line of books (thus making it essentially canon), or was this a liberty taken by another author? (i.e. later seen as an "Oh crap, my bad. Ah well, I guess we'll have to stick with this, then.")

My apologies if you've answered this in the past, but I've yet to see it asked.

Thanks.

There are two possible answers, which I leave up to others to decide for themselves:

1. Astelan is a very unreliable narrator and cannot be trusted.

2. There was a great deal of time between the discussions that lead to my writing of AoD and the early HH meetings and certain fundamentals were forgotten along the way...

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:23 pm

Malcador wrote:Hello Mr. Thorpe,

Recently finished Path of the Warrior, and I liked it, it differed from the Imperial perspective in an interesting way, I would like to see more light on the Eldar view on humans, the Emperor, and the Imperium. (I really liked the reaction of the eldar warriors upon seeing the space marines).

A have a few questions though:

1) a cycle is a day, and a passing is a year? So how many cycles does a passing have? How many hours does a cycle have?

Neither is a set length (that would be too easy). As is hinted at by Korlandril, a cycle is an artificially-determined day/night rotation that can be altered from one part of the craftworld to another. Whether Eldar have an in-built circadian rhythm, or are able to adjust quickly to change sin day/night cycles is not clear. A pass is also a much more abstract length of time based on ancient Eldar astology and the phsyical position of the craftworld.

3) Who where the space marines attacking Alaitoc? What chapter that is?

As is revealed in Path of the Seer, the Space Marines come from the Sons of Orar Chapter.

Cheers,

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:25 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:Just finished reading The Rewards of Tolerance a few minutes back. In one word, it was awesome! Loved it. So much better than the previous offering from Heroes of the Space Marines. At the moment I have a question:

Spoiler: Is the daemon 'bonded' with Zacherys a Tzeentchian, Slaaneshi or Nurgle daemon? Will we be finding out in a future story?

I hope to reveal more in the future, but as a teaser let's just say each of the Chaos gods will be making their presence felt within the warband, with Zacherys' passenger being the first, a fan of changing things ;)

Glad you liked the story, I've been enjoying developing a new cast of characters and narrative.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:49 pm

Dennis the Hamster wrote:I hope to reveal more in the future, but as a teaser let's just say each of the Chaos gods will be making their presence felt within the warband, with Zacherys' passenger being the first, a fan of changing things ;)

Glad you liked the story, I've been enjoying developing a new cast of characters and narrative.

Gav

I like the way you think, sir.

Can't wait for the next offering of Avenging Sons! Possibly a novel? :P
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Liliedhe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:44 am

Hi,

as a big fan of the extremely awesome Raven's Flight, I was very happy to see the story complimented by Face of Treachery. I just have a little question about a lose end in that story: What happened to the Salamanders ship in the beginning? One can assume that it was destroyed, of course, but considering there should be a Salamanders ship that escapes heavily damaged and crashes on a planet (as per Nick Kyme's Tome of Fire trilogy), I kind of wondered if that was the same ship^^.
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:44 am

Liliedhe wrote:Hi,

as a big fan of the extremely awesome Raven's Flight, I was very happy to see the story complimented by Face of Treachery. I just have a little question about a lose end in that story: What happened to the Salamanders ship in the beginning? One can assume that it was destroyed, of course, but considering there should be a Salamanders ship that escapes heavily damaged and crashes on a planet (as per Nick Kyme's Tome of Fire trilogy), I kind of wondered if that was the same ship^^.

It might be... But I expect a few ships managed to escape Isstvan around the same time.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Xisor » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:40 pm

Intriguing stuff as always, Gav!

Of all the HH books so far, only Ben's BftA and Aaron's TFH have passed 'historic' world (e.g. one which crops up later in 40k: Hydraphur & Cadia), though Terra/Mars get a look in, I suppose!

I wondered if you'd as yet been 'tempted' by (or had pieced together storylines/ideas that could be pinned to) planets or regions like that? Graham touched the Perdus Anomaly in 'Fulgrim', I suppose.

I'm sure we'd all be keen to see an early days/foundations Armageddon or Necromunda, or visits to places like the Gothic WSector or the worlds created in the course of the Inquisitor articles/campaigns.

Cheers,
Xisor
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Rob P » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:40 pm

The recently (?) released blurb for Deliverance Lost is so juicy!

Have you finished writing the book?
Rob P

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:21 am

Rob P wrote:The recently (?) released blurb for Deliverance Lost is so juicy!

Have you finished writing the book?

Where do I find said blurb?
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby Rob P » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:05 am

shadowhawk2008 wrote:Where do I find said blurb?

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-product ... -lost.html

Corax and the few remaining Raven Guard escaped the massacre at Isstvan V but must now tend their wounds and replenish their numbers before they can return to the fray. Listless and distraught, the primarch returns to Terra to seek the Emperor’s counsel and is guided to the ancient genetech used to create the first Space Marines. While he seeks to rebuild his Legion and seek vengeance upon the Emperor’s Children for their betrayal, Corax is unaware that the shadowy agents of the Alpha Legion move among the Raven Guard, and that his own survival has merely been part of a far greater plan.

The plot thickens with the AL and all that genetech lore. Yum Yum.
Rob P

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:10 am

Rob P wrote:http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/coming-soon/deliverance-lost.html

Corax and the few remaining Raven Guard escaped the massacre at Isstvan V but must now tend their wounds and replenish their numbers before they can return to the fray. Listless and distraught, the primarch returns to Terra to seek the Emperor’s counsel and is guided to the ancient genetech used to create the first Space Marines. While he seeks to rebuild his Legion and seek vengeance upon the Emperor’s Children for their betrayal, Corax is unaware that the shadowy agents of the Alpha Legion move among the Raven Guard, and that his own survival has merely been part of a far greater plan.

The plot thickens with the AL and all that genetech lore. Yum Yum.

/droooool

By the way that blurb raises a new twist in the plot. Corax is guided to the ancient genetech by the Emperor???? hmmmmmm

shadowhawk2008

Postby Liliedhe » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:03 pm

I recently finished Angels of Darkness and I just wanted to tell how much I liked it. The end made me cry, honestly. You were not wrong. Kind of echoed Darth Vader's last words for me...

I was very impressed with the subtlety of the points that were raised and how well it held up, even though I read it after all the Heresy books and stories. Sure, after seeing some of the events Astelan told of, it's clear that he wasn't entirely truthful - but it was never grating. And the irony of it all, the contrast between what the Emperor and the Lion wanted and what the Dark Angels became, is even more vicious.

Awesome book. When I started, I felt for Astelan (and I felt LIKE him, because I'd only know the Angels and their planet from the HH books and was about as surprised as he was) and detested Boreas, but at the end, I felt for him, too. I do not think the Lion would be proud if he would see what his Legion has become...
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:05 pm

For some reason I am kind of seeing less and less differences between Alpharius and the Lion. Just a weird thought I get now and then. :lol:

shadowhawk2008

Postby Eroldren » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:02 am

After watching couple videos that you spilled some of upcoming novel project - will your Times of Legends vampire trilogy have any material* directly out from the second Nagash novel Mr. Thrope? Lore/reading material that I may need to catch-up onto to better understand the vampires' struggles and motivations etc.

* The creation of the vampire founders I believe.
"Behind our efforts, let there be found our efforts."
Eroldren

Postby Geedubya » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:17 am

To Gav and/or Dennis,

In your upcoming novella focusing on Lion El'Jonson, will we be seeing any of what Zahariel is getting up to back on Caliban?

Cheers,
8-)
Geedubya

Postby Vivia » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:04 pm

I greatly enjoyed the short story Rewards of Tolerance, it touched on a subject not often discussed.
I think it brought up many interesting questions about the dynamics of the SM renegade life, the vulnerability it brought along with the disintegration of their brotherhood and building suspicion.
The subtle hints that the renegade-life wasn't all that fabulous were fascinating and the Eldar's presence reflected on this.
It was refreshing to see that their treachery was told without any judgement and not fully explained.

Will you continue to explore this subject in coming stories or in the future?
I know the SM are done to death but certain ideas are more interesting than others. :)
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby sam vimes » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:46 pm

well put viva every marine has a breaking point and I liked how Gav showed gesserts, I read on the lexi about a captain/sergent who slogged his guts out for a world and baisicaly got royaly screwed over by the imperuim/administratum and his frustration boiled and he rebelled and became known as the liberator wish I could remember his name as his story would make a good novel I feel.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Tim the Corsair » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:25 am

Not really a question, but I just wanted to say that I have finally gotten around to reading Angels of Darkness.

I had hesitated over it for a long time, even though I loved the idea, and I just wanted to say that I am extremely glad that I finally picked it up, as it launched very high up my list of favourite Black Library novels.

The depth, the subtlety, the beauty of Astellan and Boreas' interactions and the intertwining plots is simply delightful. Insanely impressed, and really looking forward to your upcoming work.
Tim the Corsair

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors