Ask... GAV THORPE

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby Liliedhe » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:06 pm

Something just occurred to me. Is Luther the man's first or last name? Do people on Caliban even have last names?

Aside from the Lion, there's Zahariel El'Zurias, which seems to follow the same pattern as the Lion, so is it "Zahariel Son of Zurias"? Is that the usual pattern for Calibanite names?
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Phoebus » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:50 pm

That seemed to be the case in "Descent of Angels". I believe Zahariel uses the same convention to describe his father and his father's father.

It's kind of clumsy where the Lion is concerned, of course. ;)
"And where is the prince who can afford so to cover his country with troops for its defense as that ten thousand men descending from the clouds might not in many places do an infinite deal of mischief before a force could be brought together to repel them?"
-- Benjamin Franklin
Phoebus

Postby Bloody Mary » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:08 pm

After finally reading Angels of Darkness, I must say I feel really sorry for both Astelan and the Lion. Astelan seemed to have been so close to understanding the Lion, but just didn't know enough, to know that Luther really did deserve what he got.

And like Lil, I'm wondering about how the surnames on Caliban worked.
Bloody Mary

Postby Phoebus » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:31 am

"I am Zahariel El’Zurias,’ he replied. In keeping with ancient custom, Zahariel recited his full lineage, wondering if it would be the last time he ever spoke the words. ‘I am the only living son of Zurias El’Kaleal, who in turn was the son of Kaleal El’Gibrael. My people are descended from the line of Sahiel.’"

Zahariel of Zurias, Zurias of Kaleal, Kaleal of Gibrael. The El' conforms with the original usage of Lion El'Jonson being "Lion, the son of the forest". Again, Jonson = forest seems clumsy... but there you have it. :)

Now, does this naming convention apply to everyone on Caliban? I don't see why it would have to. Personally speaking, I've never been a fan of applying one convention over an entire nation - never mind a continent, or even a whole planet. It's convenient, I'll agree, but I don't think it's very elegant - or true to the variety that drives our species. Consider Greece, whose population has never been that great: men from Peloponnesus typically have surnames with the -opoulos suffix, men from Crete have the -akis, men from the Pontus have the -idis, etc. The tradition in Zahariel's province might not necessarily be the same as the one where Luther came from. :)
"And where is the prince who can afford so to cover his country with troops for its defense as that ten thousand men descending from the clouds might not in many places do an infinite deal of mischief before a force could be brought together to repel them?"
-- Benjamin Franklin
Phoebus

Postby Liliedhe » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:43 pm

I finished Ravenwing. :) After a somewhat sedate beginning (and me being chicken about Sammael entering the Citadel on Piscina "NO, don't go in there, don't, you don't want to see that!") I got drawn progressively more strongly into the book, especially once they got to the Starfort.

Telemenus was my favourite character. He was very... different and unconventional. Seeing Space Marines whine was refreshing :P.

I am looking forward very much how it all will continue... but there was one thing that massively bugged me:

Spoiler: Didn't they kill everyone on Piscina when they opened the keep? While they talked about the message, and the stolen geneseed, the lifeeater virus was never mentioned. And clearly, Sammael does not know about it - in his musings in the end he believes Boreas and the others killed themselves because they were driven mad. He doesn't seem to know about their sacrifice. Did Malcifer keep that secret? It seems he was the only one who actually read Boreas' logs...

So, did they leave Piscina not just because of the fallen, but because it would be useless to bother with it, since everybody was going to die anyway?

"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Reinen » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:41 am

Spoiler: Did Cypher lure Sammael to flight to Port-Imperial and to hunt Methelas purposely?

Is it his agenda?
Reinen

Postby David Earle » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:39 am

Hi Gav,

I enjoyed your blog post today, but it reminded me of something curious I noticed in Ravenwing. It seems that the rank and file Tactical Marines of the Dark Angels are unaware that the Horus Heresy even happened, and are only hazily acquainted with the notion of Chaos Space Marines. There's even a line or two that suggests the more knowledgeable Dark Angels are mind-scrubbing their brothers to keep this information secret. Which raises two questions:

1. How can the Dark Angels maintain this level of deception when every other Chapter in the Imperium knows about the Horus Heresy and Abaddon keeps storming out of the Eye of Terror every few hundred years?

2. Just what in the Eye do they think happened to the Emperor?
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Liliedhe » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:28 am

Finished Battle-Brothers yesterday and liked it a lot. Cassiel is rather awesome :). The end was so deliciously and evilly ironic of course.

Spoiler: "We fight for each other." Yeah, right, I'm sure you do, Cassiel and Gideon. Until the moment comes when there is something your less enlightened brethren are not supposed to see and you abandon them. Or when it is convenient to use them as cannon fodder or bait or... In every other chapter, it would be just touching. With the Dark Angels, such a sentiment is nasty.

Liliedhe

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:09 am

David Earle wrote:Hi Gav,

I enjoyed your blog post today, but it reminded me of something curious I noticed in Ravenwing. It seems that the rank and file Tactical Marines of the Dark Angels are unaware that the Horus Heresy even happened, and are only hazily acquainted with the notion of Chaos Space Marines. There's even a line or two that suggests the more knowledgeable Dark Angels are mind-scrubbing their brothers to keep this information secret. Which raises two questions:

1. How can the Dark Angels maintain this level of deception when every other Chapter in the Imperium knows about the Horus Heresy and Abaddon keeps storming out of the Eye of Terror every few hundred years?

2. Just what in the Eye do they think happened to the Emperor?

Hi David,

1. Unless we go back to the days of lore when Space Marines were totally mindscrubbed* for knowing about Chaos, I assume that there has to be some knowledge about warp corruption and the Horus Heresy. But just as during the HH itself, this knowledge is limited to the idea that the warp has something to do with psykers and mutants and is a corrupting influence that is against the will of the Emperor. The same applies to daemons - 'warp xenos'. The fact that some Space Marines were once, and occasionally still are, mutated by their exposure to the warp would be explained to those Space Marines who come into contact with such foes. The job of the Chaplains is to expunge knowledge of Chaos (rather than the warp) and to prevent their charges from learning that there are gods that can offer gifts and rewards for service.

For the Dark Angels the secret is not that there are warp-tainted Space Marines, but that there are warp-tainted Dark Angels. Ravenwing Spoiler

Spoiler: Hence the ending of Ravenwing following the confrontation with Methelas.

Only those with the strength of mind to resist the temptation (in theory) are trusted with increasingly accurate versions of the truth.

*There is a scene in Ravenwing

Spoiler: where I show a more subtle version of this, with Malcifer and the newest recruits. Not so much mind-scurbbing as soul-strengthening through psychotropics and aural indoctrination.

But I agree, it is a tricky area and one that will be explored in more detail in the subsequent books.

2. Again, the legend of wicked Horus trying to slay the Emperor would be known, and probably used a deterrent to questions and doubts. To make a crude analogy, the Bible does not expunge all reference to Satan, but does go to great lengths to point him out as The Bad Guy. Same goes for the Space Marines and warp-taint. No mention of Chaos Gods and warp powers. The Chapter authorities would do their best to minimise exposure to Chaos and carefully manage any fall out after such encounters.

Cheers,

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby sam vimes » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:23 pm

Much like I just said to James in his section been meaning to come here and shout about the Sundering novels so here goes:

Right from the get go I was always eager to turn the next page in the omnibus (that can kill people seriously look at the size of it lol) Malekith I really did feel if not for his mother he'd have been even greater than his father all throughout his story I felt that he really should have been phoenix king, great story.

Now we come to what I personally felt was the best novel out of the three Alith Anars story really did capture for me just what the sundering was and what it did to the elves, one scene had me :D for about 10minutes when it reached it's conclusion, I'll post the quote that involves said scene:

"One other question, though"
"What?"
"How do we make a bridge disappear?"
Tharion and Alith discussing finer points of tactics on how best to piss the Druchi off, this scene has brought a real lol smile to my face.
Alith's adventures with the wolves and just what he did overall had me slack jawed tbh at points "nice try bitch not quite dead yet" That to quote pyro gave me intese happies I could write a truck load more on the Shadow king but I wont got the stubborn git Caelodor to praise to death yet, but I will say Gav you've out done yourself I feel with the elves.

Right the stubborn sod that is Caeldor, at first I found him very moody and hard to like and almost gave up on the third book, but a little voice told me to stick it out, and again wow Caeldor whilst not as bad ass as Alith (points deducted for him being able to ride a dragon :P ) was again a character that I could root for and wanted to win.

The dragons were really well done we need more of that in novels, liked how Caeldors mount taught Caeldors son respect for his..elders would be best term I suppose was pleased that his mount was the son of Indraugnir nice little touch on the arguably the elves greatest hero and his dragon, over all Gav fantastic set of novels and really want to see more on Alith pretty please?
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:19 pm

Ooooooh reading this thread I am just enjoying the notion that the Dark Angels would censure the cognation engines doing the hypno-indoctrination. Huge swathes of information other Space Marines would get downloaded into their brains missed because the Dark Angels aren't sure they need to know that info.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Liliedhe » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:56 pm

I just realised Honour to the Dead is going to be an audio :). Did BL cast a real baby for that one?
Liliedhe

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:11 pm

Just started on Ravenwing and have to say that so far it is what I wanted and expected. Just got to the part about Piscina and the Chapter Keep. Awesome stuff!
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:18 am

sam vimes wrote:fantastic set of novels and really want to see more on Alith pretty please?

Thanks!

A backburner project - one that I've spoken with Bl about on and off for the last year or so - is to revisit Alith in his own novel/ series. He's certainly one of the most popular elven characters since he was introduced. Whether this would be Sundering-era or set later is up in the air, and I certainly don't have any time in my schedule for the next couple of years. Maybe I'll squeeze in a short story or two.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:19 am

Liliedhe wrote:I just realised Honour to the Dead is going to be an audio :). Did BL cast a real baby for that one?

Not sure, I haven't heard it yet! I am assured that the little tyke is suitably prominent.

Cheers,

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:21 am

shadowhawk2008 wrote:Just started on Ravenwing and have to say that so far it is what I wanted and expected. Just got to the part about Piscina and the Chapter Keep. Awesome stuff!

I'll be starting on Master of Sanctity soon - and the reappearance of some people's favourite Fallen (and other's most-detested traitor)...

Cheers,

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Lord of the Night » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:43 am

Dennis the Hamster wrote:Thanks!

A backburner project - one that I've spoken with Bl about on and off for the last year or so - is to revisit Alith in his own novel/ series. He's certainly one of the most popular elven characters since he was introduced. Whether this would be Sundering-era or set later is up in the air, and I certainly don't have any time in my schedule for the next couple of years. Maybe I'll squeeze in a short story or two.

Gav

So does that mean that Alith Anar is still alive by the current Warhammer timeline? How is that possible aside from the methods that Malekith and Morathi use?

Dennis the Hamster wrote:I'll be starting on Master of Sanctity soon - and the reappearance of some people's favourite Fallen (and other's most-detested traitor)...

Cheers,

Gav

Cypher yaaaay!

Since Asmodai is the main character of the novel, as far as I remember from your previous posts, will MoS explain exactly why Asmodai is considered better than Sapphon yet has only made two Fallen repent?

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:22 am

Alith need not be alive in the current timeline for his own novel series. It could be set a few decades/centuries after the ToL books.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Anakwanar » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:20 am

Dear Gav - when i could be able to read or listen Honour of the dead? Why the Germans were so lucky? And why nobody want to write more about the Titan warfare - its awesome
Anakwanar

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Fri May 03, 2013 6:39 pm

Anakwanar wrote:Dear Gav - when i could be able to read or listen Honour of the dead? Why the Germans were so lucky? And why nobody want to write more about the Titan warfare - its awesome

Now available from today!

Each foreign language Games Day had an exclusive last year - this year I think it us one book for everyone.
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors