Ask... GAV THORPE

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:32 pm

Reinen wrote:
Lord of the Night wrote:
Reinen wrote:How Methelas and Anovel left the planet?
Thanx!

Spoiler: If you mean the world that Boreas and the squad raid after destroying the Saint Carthen, then they never left. Once the ship touched down on Piscina IV they left and stayed on the planet, then let the Saint Carthen leave so that the Dark Angels would follow it.


LotN


Spoiler: I mean - after the massacre and the release of annihilus.



The other

Spoiler: Fallen

left by means unknown...

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:32 pm
Location: Nottingham


Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:36 pm

Midgard wrote: Assuming that ... there are no gaps in Order numbers...


And that would be wrong. However, it is safe to assume that the DA are one of the normal-to-larger-sized legions, with warriors in excess of 100,000 at the outbreak of hostilities.

Cheers,

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:32 pm
Location: Nottingham


Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby Midgard » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:37 pm

Dennis the Hamster wrote:
Midgard wrote: Assuming that ... there are no gaps in Order numbers...


And that would be wrong. However, it is safe to assume that the DA are one of the normal-to-larger-sized legions, with warriors in excess of 100,000 at the outbreak of hostilities.

Cheers,

Gav


Thank you for clarification!
My Amazon writer page - check out my novel and short stories!
MIDGARD - my melodic death metal band's new album is now on BandCamp
Twisthammer - alternate WH40K fan-project
User avatar
Midgard
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:37 pm
Location: City of Grey Flowers


Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby Lord of the Night » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:27 pm

Hey Gav,

I have finished Path of the Outcast and have a few questions, mainly about the last few pages hehe.


Spoiler: 1. Did Maensith and her mercs survive the battle? And if so can we assume they would stay on Alaitoc to avoid Hierarch Khyidias?



Spoiler: 2. Gessart and his renegades had a very nice cameo, in The Rewards of Tolerance did you have Aradryan give his title as the Admiral of the Winter Gulf to lead people away from the actual ending, because I did think that is where he'd end up.



Spoiler: 3. Will Aradryan and Thirianna's futures be revealed? Like will they become lost on the Paths of the Seer and Mourner? Or will they ever become a couple?



Spoiler: 4. So soul-stones are made from the souls of damned Eldar? Does that mean that taking a soul-stone from a Crone World saves the soul of that particular Eldar from Slaanesh?



Spoiler: 5. With the soul-stones they recovered would Maensith and her Commoraghans take one for themselves, or can they never use one? I ask because Bechareth seemed to be able to and he was an Incubi.



Thanks in advance for what you can answer.


LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
User avatar
Lord of the Night
 
Posts: 3246
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 pm
Location: The Warp


Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:59 am

All good questions, which I will attempt to answer...

Lord of the Night wrote:

Spoiler: 1. Did Maensith and her mercs survive the battle? And if so can we assume they would stay on Alaitoc to avoid Hierarch Khyidias?



Spoiler: Maensith and her crew did survive, and I might return to them in a future story. It's unlikely they would stay on Alaitoc though - it's just not their way of life to remain on a craftworld.



Spoiler: 2. Gessart and his renegades had a very nice cameo, in The Rewards of Tolerance did you have Aradryan give his title as the Admiral of the Winter Gulf to lead people away from the actual ending, because I did think that is where he'd end up.



Spoiler: Throughout the period, Aradryan becomes more grandiose and arrogant, and his claim to be Admiral of the Winter Gulf to Gessart - and other overblown claims to the humans - are a symptom of this growing mania. In truth, the way the whole arc of the trilogy panned out, there was not enough time passing for Aradryan to make Aradryan's claim of power genuine but it was already written into the short story. The same applies to his claim to have been adventuring when he returns to Korlandril - when I wrote Path of the Warrior I thought this would have been the case! In the end, it evolved into the first of many lies Aradryan tells in order to big up his exploits.



Spoiler: 3. Will Aradryan and Thirianna's futures be revealed? Like will they become lost on the Paths of the Seer and Mourner? Or will they ever become a couple?



Spoiler: I don't think I'll be returning to the characters in the future, so their fates will be left up to the imaginations of the readers - too many other interesting parts of Eldar society and life to explore in future works, though perhaps I could work in some cameo appearances that chart the next stage of their lives...



Spoiler: 4. So soul-stones are made from the souls of damned Eldar? Does that mean that taking a soul-stone from a Crone World saves the soul of that particular Eldar from Slaanesh?



Spoiler: Possibly. I did not want the soulstone expedition to be definitive - in that all soulstones are created and recovered the same way - but I like the link to the 'Tears of Isha' that were shed at the moment of Slaanesh's birth and the Eldar being consumed by the power they had created. I see waystones a bit like warpstone in Warhammer - solidified warp energy, which may be connected to a fallen eldar spirit, but not always. Incidentally, the whole flavour of that Crone world was inspired by the Genesis song 'Home by the Sea'!



Spoiler: 5. With the soul-stones they recovered would Maensith and her Commoraghans take one for themselves, or can they never use one? I ask because Bechareth seemed to be able to and he was an Incubi.



Spoiler: Usually a waystone is bonded with a Craftworld eldar from birth, but as you say Bechareth and the kami of Estrathain show that it is possible for an Eldar spirit to be conjoined with a waystone later in life. I assume that Maenisth has had oppportunity before to procure a waystone and has chosen not to - she prefers to take her chances rather than become a 'prisoner' of an infinity circuit. There is a sub-plot that did not fit into the novel about Maensith's spirit situation that I might turn into a short story instead.



Thanks in advance for what you can answer.


You're welcome!

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:32 pm
Location: Nottingham


Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby Lord of the Night » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:29 am

Spoiler: Maensith and her crew did survive, and I might return to them in a future story. It's unlikely they would stay on Alaitoc though - it's just not their way of life to remain on a craftworld.



Spoiler: Very cool. Maensith and her crew were a good cast and more Corsair action would always be welcome. Though Khyidias will definitely be after them, I would if I were him.



Spoiler: Throughout the period, Aradryan becomes more grandiose and arrogant, and his claim to be Admiral of the Winter Gulf to Gessart - and other overblown claims to the humans - are a symptom of this growing mania. In truth, the way the whole arc of the trilogy panned out, there was not enough time passing for Aradryan to make Aradryan's claim of power genuine but it was already written into the short story. The same applies to his claim to have been adventuring when he returns to Korlandril - when I wrote Path of the Warrior I thought this would have been the case! In the end, it evolved into the first of many lies Aradryan tells in order to big up his exploits.


Spoiler: That part with Korlandril did surprise me. From what i've read though of other authors its rare that a series turns out exactly like you plan it. I did like that Aradryan showed the proper amount of caution and a healthy dose of fear when dealing with the Astartes. Thirianna had the typical Eldar view that they are sub-beings, but I felt Korlandril and Aradryan actually understood just how dangerous Space Marines are.




Spoiler: I don't think I'll be returning to the characters in the future, so their fates will be left up to the imaginations of the readers - too many other interesting parts of Eldar society and life to explore in future works, though perhaps I could work in some cameo appearances that chart the next stage of their lives...


Spoiler: That would be good. I assume that Thirianna will become a full Farseer and Aradryan will just go on being a regular Eldar. I do look forward to seeing what future Eldar works come from you, i'm particularly hoping for some Phoenix Lords.



Spoiler: Possibly. I did not want the soulstone expedition to be definitive - in that all soulstones are created and recovered the same way - but I like the link to the 'Tears of Isha' that were shed at the moment of Slaanesh's birth and the Eldar being consumed by the power they had created. I see waystones a bit like warpstone in Warhammer - solidified warp energy, which may be connected to a fallen eldar spirit, but not always. Incidentally, the whole flavour of that Crone world was inspired by the Genesis song 'Home by the Sea'!


Spoiler: I got a very tranquil feeling from that Crone World, like the Slaaneshi realm where if you stop for even a second you'll turn to sand. It is interesting that the Soulstones could be forged from Eldar spirits, but I wonder what would happen to the consciousness of one whom that happened to.



Spoiler: Usually a waystone is bonded with a Craftworld eldar from birth, but as you say Bechareth and the kami of Estrathain show that it is possible for an Eldar spirit to be conjoined with a waystone later in life. I assume that Maenisth has had oppportunity before to procure a waystone and has chosen not to - she prefers to take her chances rather than become a 'prisoner' of an infinity circuit. There is a sub-plot that did not fit into the novel about Maensith's spirit situation that I might turn into a short story instead.


Spoiler: Ooo a short story, I would definitely read that. Perhaps from Maensith's POV so that we can know exactly what went on in her head. The thoughts of a self-exiled Commorraghan would definitely be fascinating.




I have one more question for you Gav, and its about another author's work.

Spoiler: In ADB's Void Stalker when Talos fights Jain Zar, do you think she is actually dead? Because Karandras in PotW seemed to be more like a machine animated by a soul, whereas Jain Zar seemed to be flesh and blood as Talos was able to burn her. Plus Malcharion stepped on her and none of the Eldar remained to extract her. Could it be that the Howling Banshees are now without their Phoenix Lord? Or is her body just waiting there to be revived as Morlianath did for Karandras?




LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
User avatar
Lord of the Night
 
Posts: 3246
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 pm
Location: The Warp


Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby Reinen » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:00 pm

Hi Gav!

Whether there will be characters from 'Angels of Darkness' in 'Ravenving'?

Thanx!
Reinen
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:30 pm


Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:52 am

Reinen wrote:Hi Gav!

Whether there will be characters from 'Angels of Darkness' in 'Ravenving'?

Thanx!


There won't be any characters from Angels of Darkness

Spoiler: because of the way AoD ends

but the story continues from there.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:32 pm
Location: Nottingham


Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:58 am

All I want is for Boreas to be validated!!
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
User avatar
shadowhawk2008
 
Posts: 7716
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:17 am
Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution


Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:59 am

Lord of the Night wrote:I have one more question for you Gav, and its about another author's work.

Spoiler: In ADB's Void Stalker when Talos fights Jain Zar, do you think she is actually dead? Because Karandras in PotW seemed to be more like a machine animated by a soul, whereas Jain Zar seemed to be flesh and blood as Talos was able to burn her. Plus Malcharion stepped on her and none of the Eldar remained to extract her. Could it be that the Howling Banshees are now without their Phoenix Lord? Or is her body just waiting there to be revived as Morlianath did for Karandras?




LotN


Spoiler: I take the 'animated suit' angle, and have done since I wrote a bit of colour text back in the day for WD, supporting the release of the 3rd Ed Eldar. Someone brought that issue along to Games Day Oz, incidentally. The culmination of this in Path of the Warrior was the idea that the Phoenix Lord spirits are so strong they are able to completely absorb the energy of another Eldar - possibly only an Exarch though that might not be so - and still remain intact with a solitary personality. In the original Eldar background it said that the Phoenix Lords could disappear for centuries at a time before reappearing, and I envisage that to be periods of dormancy waiting to be awakened or, perhaps, slowly convalescing by their own power.

On a real world note, I can't imagine A D-B intended to kill off Jain Zar permanently because that would be plain silly and against the rules.

www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:32 pm
Location: Nottingham


Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:01 am

shadowhawk2008 wrote:All I want is for Boreas to be validated!!


You may have to wait for that...

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:32 pm
Location: Nottingham


Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:03 am

*mutters about sadist authors*
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
User avatar
shadowhawk2008
 
Posts: 7716
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:17 am
Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution


Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:06 am

Dennis the Hamster wrote:
shadowhawk2008 wrote:All I want is for Boreas to be validated!!


You may have to wait for that...

Gav

If Boreas is to be validated that would require that reason and understanding be listened to in the 40k universe... the odds are better of Loken showing up in 40k to lead a new chapter of Luna Wolves.


LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
User avatar
Lord of the Night
 
Posts: 3246
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 pm
Location: The Warp


Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby Liliedhe » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:43 am

Spoiler: Well, there is one character from Angels of Darkness who could show up...

But I suppose even hoping for that is too much. ;)

*pets Astelan*

"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
User avatar
Liliedhe
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 6:26 am
Location: Vienna, Austria


Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby Mossy Toes » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:49 am

Dennis the Hamster wrote:
shadowhawk2008 wrote:All I want is for Boreas to be validated!!


You may have to wait for that...

Gav

Of course. The whole point of AoD, as I interpret it, was that Boreas's closing pleas would fall on mute ears and that the cycle of pugnacious ignorance would continue unabated. The decay of the Imperium, the replacement of reason with tradition and superstition, the self-righteousness that cannot admit its own falsehood, etc: these ideas relate to the very core facets of the Dark Angels. Gotta love it!
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
User avatar
Mossy Toes
 
Posts: 2284
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:30 am


Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby Phoebus » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:20 pm

I'm not sure how we're going to see Boreas validated. I mean, in what sense?

In the sense that the Dark Angels have become something they shouldn't be? I get that. That's a very powerful theme, but I have a feeling that we'd see the Warp freeze over in a novel before a Supreme Grand Master sat down with the entire Inner Circle of the Unforgiven and let them know it's time for a fresh start. That's part and parcel of the dystopian nature of Warhammer 40k.

In terms of Boreas's new sympathies and perceptions, though? His final message is to be sent to Astelan*, and I struggle to see how the Fallen represents a "better Imperium" or a "better Dark Angel". He is defined by controversy, he often contradicts himself, and he commits many of the same sins as the Chapter he hates... but in the name of a different ideology. I truly enjoyed the novel when I first read it, but the more I sat down with it, the harder a time I had understanding Boreas' evolving sympathies/sense of understanding.

* I'm assuming that none but the Supreme Grand Master could know of Luther - per the Codex - but Sapphon and at least two other individuals are shown as possessing that knowledge.

ANYWAYS. :D

Mr. Thorpe, if I recall correctly, you mentioned "Ravenwing" being part two to a trilogy of sorts that uses "Angels of Darkness" as volume one. Have you considered already what point of view you're going to use for the third volume (Deathwing, a Company Master, or perhaps someone else within the higher ranks of the Inner Circle)?
"And where is the prince who can afford so to cover his country with troops for its defense as that ten thousand men descending from the clouds might not in many places do an infinite deal of mischief before a force could be brought together to repel them?"
-- Benjamin Franklin
User avatar
Phoebus
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:36 pm
Location: United States of America


Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:03 pm

I thought Ravenwing was the first in a new trilogy?
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
User avatar
shadowhawk2008
 
Posts: 7716
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:17 am
Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution


Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:37 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:I thought Ravenwing was the first in a new trilogy?

From what i've read it is. I think that AoD can be considered the book that leads into this trilogy.


LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
User avatar
Lord of the Night
 
Posts: 3246
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 pm
Location: The Warp


Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby Reinen » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:00 pm

Dennis the Hamster wrote:
shadowhawk2008 wrote:All I want is for Boreas to be validated!!


You may have to wait for that...

Gav


Will it be a futile waiting? :)
Reinen
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:30 pm


Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:41 am

Spoiler: In AoD Boreas' sympathies for Astelan evolve out of a shared sense of isolation and disenchantment, leading to the suspicion that the Dark Angels are no longer what the Emperor or the Lion envisaged. 'You were right,' was not a blanket acceptance of Astelan's behaviour, but a statement of understanding in the context of the rest of the message.



Ravenwing is the first book in the Legacy of Caliban trilogy, which is followed by Master of Sanctity and The Unforgiven. Angels of Darkness becomes a prologue to the trilogy, as Purging of Kadillus is a prequel to AoD. Across the trilogy we see the effect of the events of Piscina rippling through the Chapter, first with the Ravenwing, escalating up through the Deathwing to the Inner Circle itself. Sammael is a central character in the first book, Asmodai (or possibly Sapphon, I haven't decide yet) in the second, and Azrael himself in the third, as well as a recurring cast of other characters.

Cheers,

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:32 pm
Location: Nottingham

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest