Ask... GAV THORPE

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:24 am

Dennis the Hamster wrote:
shadowhawk2008 wrote:So Gav, when is the next Raven Guard Horus Heresy audio drama coming out? :)

I'd love to do another RG audio, but before then I've got one on D**thw***h to write first, and then hopefully another featuring J**** **gm**...

Gav

That first one sounds great. Great to know that said faction is getting diverse authorial attention. Aside from their flaws, I liked Goto's novels and Steve Parker's shorts are enjoyable as well.

Not sure who the second person is. Hmmmm.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Xisor » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:38 pm

If I might pre-empt Gav a little, I'll give you a clue, SH: you, Gav and myself were all in his pub at various points last weekend. ;)

Doothwitch sounds cool though, right?
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:34 pm

Xisor wrote:If I might pre-empt Gav a little, I'll give you a clue, SH: you, Gav and myself were all in his pub at various points last weekend. ;)

Doothwitch sounds cool though, right?

Hah, that clears it up! I'm not that into fantasy lore so no wonder I missed it. Thanks, cheers!!
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:48 am

Hi Gav, just randomly wondering:

Do the Saim-Hann Craftworld and/or Jetbike troops and/or Shining Spears make any appearance in your Eldar novels?

shadowhawk2008

Number of Order

Postby Anfarius » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:10 pm

Dear Gav!

Me and my friends are reading your novel “The Lion”, which has started
to publish in “Hammer and Bolter”. We were glad to know that you will
write a trilogy, whichcontinues the story of the Dark Angels, started
in the “Angels of Darkness”. Thank you for your books!

However, we have a question we have argued about. In “The Lion”
numbers of orders that accompanied the Primarch are given.

And what was the number of Astelan’s order, which remained on Caliban?

We never found it, unfortunately.
Anfarius

Postby Diatribe » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:39 am

Hey Gav, quick Q for you:

Spoiler: While I mentioned in an earlier post about "Angels of Darkness" story you'd written earlier & the apparent retconing of the story you'd established, I finished "The Purging of Kadillus" and saw mention of Boreas & his recollections of Astelan. As I read it, I noticed you seemed to have adjusted Boreas reaction of Astelan's tale since the original tale. Was this to keep things in line with the established canon put forth by the HH line of events?

Anyways, keep up the good work!
Diatribe

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:32 am

shadowhawk2008 wrote:Hi Gav, just randomly wondering:

Do the Saim-Hann Craftworld and/or Jetbike troops and/or Shining Spears make any appearance in your Eldar novels?

No, it's firmly Alaitoc-centric as far as craftworlds are concerned. I would like to do stories with the other big craftworlds in the future - I think I could do some cool stuff with the Saim Hann Wildriders hosts for a start.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Re: Number of Order

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:33 am

Anfarius wrote:Dear Gav!

Me and my friends are reading your novel “The Lion”, which has started
to publish in “Hammer and Bolter”. We were glad to know that you will
write a trilogy, whichcontinues the story of the Dark Angels, started
in the “Angels of Darkness”. Thank you for your books!

However, we have a question we have argued about. In “The Lion”
numbers of orders that accompanied the Primarch are given.

And what was the number of Astelan’s order, which remained on Caliban?

We never found it, unfortunately.

Astelan's order and chapter have not yet been named/ numbered, although they may be as the story continues.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:36 am

Diatribe wrote:Hey Gav, quick Q for you:

Spoiler: While I mentioned in an earlier post about "Angels of Darkness" story you'd written earlier & the apparent retconing of the story you'd established, I finished "The Purging of Kadillus" and saw mention of Boreas & his recollections of Astelan. As I read it, I noticed you seemed to have adjusted Boreas reaction of Astelan's tale since the original tale. Was this to keep things in line with the established canon put forth by the HH line of events?

It's important to remember that 'Purging' takes place between the interrogation and the start of AoD. It is only Boreas' isolation on garrison duty leading up to Angels of Darkness that makes him reflect differently on Astelan's testimony. As far as I am concerned, the account given by Astelan has not changed at all.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:50 pm

Dennis the Hamster wrote:No, it's firmly Alaitoc-centric as far as craftworlds are concerned. I would like to do stories with the other big craftworlds in the future - I think I could do some cool stuff with the Saim Hann Wildriders hosts for a start.

Gav

I'm planning a submission featuring the Saim-Hann as the antagonists so I was wondering if you had written anything about them :-)

shadowhawk2008

Postby Liliedhe » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:15 pm

I have a question about The Lion... I had read the first part in H&B, and then got Primarchs at BL Live. Recently I finally got round to finishing the book and there was one point in the story that is niggling me...

Spoiler: Is the Lion a psyker? That's how I interpreted his destruction of the big daemon on board the Invincible Reason... And is he aware of this? Because I have been wondering what he has to be so very guilty about, aside from the obvious stuff about Luther... Now, if he kept being a psyker from the Calibanites... considering their enlightened treatment of those so gifted...

Or am I overthinking this too much?

"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Diatribe » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:55 am

Dennis the Hamster wrote:
Diatribe wrote:Hey Gav, quick Q for you:

It's important to remember that 'Purging' takes place between the interrogation and the start of AoD. It is only Boreas' isolation on garrison duty leading up to Angels of Darkness that makes him reflect differently on Astelan's testimony. As far as I am concerned, the account given by Astelan has not changed at all.

Gav

Okay, great, because I loved the whole outcome of AoD and what seemed to be your original intent with the book (concerning the Lion).

BTW, I picked up the Dwarfs Omnibus today, so hopefully I'll get around to reading both you (and Nick Kyme's) run on my beloved stunties!
Diatribe

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu May 31, 2012 3:11 pm

Ok wow, just finished Angels of Darkness and I have many things to say/ask.

First off thank you Gav for the copy you gave me, it is a really nice addition to my collection and the personal signature is the icing on the cake. I really like that you posed me the question "Who do you believe?" And now I can answer that question.

I believe Astelan, in both his tale of the Fallen and the tale of Tharsis. I think he is right about the Imperium, about the Lion and about the Dark Angels as a chapter. The fact that Boreas did not know about the Annihilus or the Gene-Seed storage, in any other Chapter he would have been told, is proof in my eyes, and his too apparantely, that Astelan is right about the Dark Angels having become too shrouded in lies and half-truths.

Now for some questions.

Spoiler: 1. Obviously the robed Fallen is Cypher, but the second group that started the massacre, is that Methelas and Anovel?

2. Astelan called Methelas and Anoval New Legion, I take it that means they are Calibanite marines?

3. When does Angels of Darkness take place?

4. In Boreas's final message, in the very last part of it, which cell is he sending that message to? Luther or Astelan? I personally hope its Astelan because those four words will give him the strength to resist forever.

5. This may have been answered elsewhere but in Ravenwing I read that Boreas's message will arrive. Is this true? Oh and will the fate of Piscina IV be revealed as well?

6. Is that Boreas on the cover? Or is it Sapphon?

Those are all the questions I have for you Gav, once again thanks for the copy of Angels of Darkness, I very much look forward to your return to the Dark Angels with the Legacy of Caliban trilogy.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Liliedhe » Thu May 31, 2012 3:44 pm

@LotN: maybe you want to open a discussion thread for this book?
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:59 am

Lord of the Night wrote:Ok wow, just finished Angels of Darkness and I have many things to say/ask.

Spoiler: 1. Obviously the robed Fallen is Cypher, but the second group that started the massacre, is that Methelas and Anovel?

Possibly. There is the Saint Carthen connection.

Spoiler: 2. Astelan called Methelas and Anoval New Legion, I take it that means they are Calibanite marines?

Yes.

Spoiler: 3. When does Angels of Darkness take place?

About five or six years after Piscina is attacked by Ghazghkull (Purging of Kadillus).

Spoiler: 4. In Boreas's final message, in the very last part of it, which cell is he sending that message to? Luther or Astelan? I personally hope its Astelan because those four words will give him the strength to resist forever.

That's one that you have to decide for yourself :twisted:

Spoiler: Although, within the context of the novel, there is no mention of Luther's confinement.

Spoiler: 5. This may have been answered elsewhere but in Ravenwing I read that Boreas's message will arrive. Is this true? Oh and will the fate of Piscina IV be revealed as well?

Yes, the story picks up from the end of AoD.

Spoiler: 6. Is that Boreas on the cover? Or is it Sapphon?

Neither, specifically. The original Clint Langley cover was certainly Boreas, but the later Mark Gibbons piece was just a nameless interrogator-chaplain at the time it was painted.

Those are all the questions I have for you Gav, once again thanks for the copy of Angels of Darkness, I very much look forward to your return to the Dark Angels with the Legacy of Caliban trilogy.

LotN

Glad you liked it, I thought you might get a buzz from the conspiracy stuff. I think Legacy of Caliban will be a good follow-up.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Reinen » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:39 pm

Possibly. There is the Saint Carthen connection.

Spoiler: But this ship was destroyed, wasn't it?

How Methelas and Anovel left the planet?

Thanx!
Reinen

Postby Midgard » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:46 pm

Hi Gav,

Could you please shed some light on the size of the Dark Angels Legion? I saw this discussed at another forum, and thought I would go straight to the source.

In "The Lion", Lion El'Jonson takes six Orders with him, numbering around 30,000 marines, with the highest numbered Order being the Thirtieth (IIRC). Assuming that average Order size is fairly constant throughout the First Legion, and that there are no gaps in Order numbers, it comes up to 5,000 marines per Order, and at least 150,000 marines in the Legion during the Heresy.

This would make Dark Angels one of the largest Legions active in the Heresy, very much on par with the Word Bearers and (quite possibly) even post-Calth Ultramarines. Is this right, or am I reading too much into this?

Thank you in advance!
My Amazon writer page - check out my novel and short stories!
MIDGARD - my melodic death metal band's new album is now on BandCamp
Twisthammer - alternate WH40K fan-project
Midgard

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:18 pm

You are assuming of course that they are at full strength :-)

shadowhawk2008

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:44 pm

Reinen wrote:How Methelas and Anovel left the planet?

Thanx!

Spoiler: If you mean the world that Boreas and the squad raid after destroying the Saint Carthen, then they never left. Once the ship touched down on Piscina IV they left and stayed on the planet, then let the Saint Carthen leave so that the Dark Angels would follow it.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Reinen » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:02 am

Lord of the Night wrote:
Reinen wrote:How Methelas and Anovel left the planet?
Thanx!

Spoiler: If you mean the world that Boreas and the squad raid after destroying the Saint Carthen, then they never left. Once the ship touched down on Piscina IV they left and stayed on the planet, then let the Saint Carthen leave so that the Dark Angels would follow it.

LotN

Spoiler: I mean - after the massacre and the release of annihilus.

Reinen

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors