Ask... GAV THORPE

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby Lord of the Night » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:43 am

shadowhawk2008 wrote:One occurence is fine. Two are really pushing the whole suspension of disbelief thing.

Indeed so.

Supernatural Dick Roman wrote:But sometimes less is more. Those boys coming back from the dead again starts to strain credulity... even for the American media, am I right?

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:57 am

Spoiler: His head comes off. That tends to end things, even for space marines...

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:04 pm

I don't trust you Gav. You have been touched by the Powers of the Eight. I shall be keeping a digital eye on you at all times. In a non-crazy, non-stalkery way of course.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Mossy Toes » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:58 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:
Supernatural Dick Roman wrote:But sometimes less is more. Those boys coming back from the dead again starts to strain credulity... even for the American media, am I right?
Oi, we're not the one having a third series of Sherlock, Riechenbach Falls or no.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Dark Angel » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:56 am

I just thought I'd say;

I'm about half-way through Deliverance Lost, and thus far, it's brilliant. Easily in my top 5 favourite Horus Heresy novels. Congratulations, you have made me love the Raven Guard.
"I say, Mosley, what is your movement's attitude towards birth control?" Mosley drew himself up to his
full height, hands on hips, and looked the young man up and down, before replying:
"After looking at you, I should think the question of birth control comes about twenty
years too late. Next question, please." The questioner subsided into his seat, and the
meeting continued to a triumphant conclusion. There were no further interruptions.
Dark Angel

Postby flick » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:34 pm

flick wrote:I apologise if you have been asked this question already, but I'm weary of reading earlier pages on this thread, because of spoilers.
But at the end of Ravens flight, Corax stands his ground with the remnants of his legion, ready to die where he stands, when he is taken to safety at the last minute...Do you think this irked a certain World Eater primarch, because this is how he was dragged away from his gladiator army? But to rub rock-salt into the wounds, Corax got to save the remnants of his force.

I may be reading too much into all this, but it sure as hell, beats work.

Bump. Did this one get answered? I'd love to hear an answer.
flick

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:30 am

flick wrote:
flick wrote:I apologise if you have been asked this question already, but I'm weary of reading earlier pages on this thread, because of spoilers.
But at the end of Ravens flight, Corax stands his ground with the remnants of his legion, ready to die where he stands, when he is taken to safety at the last minute...Do you think this irked a certain World Eater primarch, because this is how he was dragged away from his gladiator army? But to rub rock-salt into the wounds, Corax got to save the remnants of his force.

The similarity might have irked the World Eater, but the main cause of his anger is frustration at missing out on the action again. Horus finally lets loose Angron and his Legion after telling him repeatedly to hold back, only for Corax to run away and eventually escape. That Corax would choose to elude destruction rather than face his fate - as Angron was willing to do - only serves to fuel the primarch's belief that Corax is a coward at heart.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Duke_Leto » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:24 pm

Not sure if you will/can answer this Gav but worth a try...

How can you and the other HH authors/editors account for seemingly contradictory chronology of events across the HH novels (in particular the thorny one right now regarding Magnus contacting big E, the Wolves being sent to Prospero and knowledge of Horus and Isstvaan III arriving on Terra - as ignited by Graham McNeill's latest The Outcast Dead).
Duke_Leto

Postby flick » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:51 am

Dennis the Hamster wrote:
flick wrote:

The similarity might have irked the World Eater, but the main cause of his anger is frustration at missing out on the action again. Horus finally lets loose Angron and his Legion after telling him repeatedly to hold back, only for Corax to run away and eventually escape. That Corax would choose to elude destruction rather than face his fate - as Angron was willing to do - only serves to fuel the primarch's belief that Corax is a coward at heart.

Gav

Cheers mate. Great book by the way,
ps I've still got the white dwarf, where you joined up, nice pony-tail.
flick

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:36 am

Duke_Leto wrote:Not sure if you will/can answer this Gav but worth a try...

How can you and the other HH authors/editors account for seemingly contradictory chronology of events across the HH novels (in particular the thorny one right now regarding Magnus contacting big E, the Wolves being sent to Prospero and knowledge of Horus and Isstvaan III arriving on Terra - as ignited by Graham McNeill's latest The Outcast Dead).

[Obama voice] Yes we can. [/Obama voice]

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:38 am

flick wrote:
ps I've still got the white dwarf, where you joined up, nice pony-tail.

My skinny, long-haired past. I may need bigger trousers these days, but I don't spend as much on shampoo.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Phoebus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:32 pm

Dennis the Hamster wrote:I certainly had fun tring to work out how a comparatively tiny force of Ultramarines can make such a difference in a large battle, because it's ben irking me for a while that people forget that Space Marines do not fight the same way as Imperial Guard - their lack of numbers is not a weakness because of the types of missions they take upon themselves. But to temper this, the UM do need the back up of the Imperial Guard and other forces for actvities they cannot perform themselves.

Gav

Reading this put a smile on my face - especially coming after the "authors with combat experience" thread. :)
"And where is the prince who can afford so to cover his country with troops for its defense as that ten thousand men descending from the clouds might not in many places do an infinite deal of mischief before a force could be brought together to repel them?"
-- Benjamin Franklin
Phoebus

Postby Duke_Leto » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:42 pm

Dennis the Hamster wrote:
Duke_Leto wrote:Not sure if you will/can answer this Gav but worth a try...

[Obama voice] Yes we can. [/Obama voice]

Gav

What a tease Mr T! :D
Duke_Leto

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:53 pm

So Gav, when is the next Raven Guard Horus Heresy audio drama coming out? :)
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Lord of the Night » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:45 pm

The cover for Ravenwing is out and it looks great. I do have one question about the book though.

Can you tell us who or what the Ravenwing will be battling against?

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Cypher6 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:47 am

Will Lord Cypher be in Ravenwing, Gav?

Thanks! ;)
'Interesting times'
Cypher6

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:08 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:So Gav, when is the next Raven Guard Horus Heresy audio drama coming out? :)

I'd love to do another RG audio, but before then I've got one on D**thw***h to write first, and then hopefully another featuring J**** **gm**...

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:11 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:The cover for Ravenwing is out and it looks great. I do have one question about the book though.

Can you tell us who or what the Ravenwing will be battling against?

LotN

Mostly they will battle against their own preconceptions and inner demons. Also orks, rebels, space pirates and other scum.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:12 pm

Cypher6 wrote:Will Lord Cypher be in Ravenwing, Gav?

Thanks! ;)

Cypher is instrumental to the plot, but does not feature personally in the first book. Not sure about later books in the series yet. A bit like the Emperor in HH, you can't really do anything from his viewpoint without letting every cat out of all the bags, and that would be a shame.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Xisor » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:14 pm

Re: The Lion, the

Spoiler: Big Sphere o' Fear

Will we be seeing more of this? Is it a...'throwaway' mystery? (And if it is, boo to you, it's awesome.) Anything you can tell us of it?
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors