Ask... GAV THORPE

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:53 pm

Sounds fantastic Gav :)
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Liliedhe » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:56 pm

*squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee* that sounds totally awesome. How fortunate that I'm getting H&B anyway :D
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:38 pm

Dennis the Hamster wrote:
Lord of the Night wrote:Just saw your latest work to be released on the blog. Ravenwing. A fantastic idea, the Ravenwing are cool and have little to nothing written about them. :D

My questions are...

1. Will we see Sammael and his incredibly kick-ass Jetbike in the novel?

Yes.

2. Is this a sequel to Angels of Darkness or is it a stand-alone novel?

Yes. 8-)

3. Will we learn about the Ravenwing's customs and traditions, and how membership and gaining entry works?

Yes.

Gav
LotN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOubPWGUhQo

Very Nice.

I have not been able to read Angels of Darkness sadly, i'll have to wait for an omnibus.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Liliedhe » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:10 pm

You can always get the e-book. In fact, you should. :mrgreen:
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:47 am

Liliedhe wrote:You can always get the e-book. In fact, you should. :mrgreen:

Death to Ebooks! It doesn't replace the feeling of a real book in your hands and the good feeling you get from advancing through the pages.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Liliedhe » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:26 am

I agree that it is not a replacement. But it is preferrable to have an ebook, instead of having no book :mrgreen:
Liliedhe

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:56 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:I have not been able to read Angels of Darkness sadly, i'll have to wait for an omnibus.

LotN

:o :shock: :o

Shame! Shame!

However, you are lucky that I have just begun a competition. Entering is simple. The first poster called Lord of the Night to PM his address may get a copy of Angels of Darkness* in the mail (I think I have a spare one).

Gav

*I preferred it before Age of Darkness was released and I could just type AoD. :evil:
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:22 pm

AoD is angels of darkness, Age of Darkness is HH:AoD.
schaferwhat‽

Postby TenGhosts » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:35 am

I just wanted to say that I loved reading Deliverence Lost, but of course I would like to ask for your opinion about the Raptors. Basically I'm a huge Raptors fan, and I have a full company of the little men to prove it (as seen on Graham's The Fortress of Hera FB page).
I wanted to ask you if in your opinion would Branne's Raptors would have had any of the original super Astates still within their ranks when they got made into a chapter? Additionally would they also have been given the Avenger as their new chapters flag ship seeing as it was Brannes ship to command?
The Path of the Spacemarine is beset on all sides, by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.
TenGhosts

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:08 pm

TenGhosts wrote:I just wanted to say that I loved reading Deliverence Lost, but of course I would like to ask for your opinion about the Raptors. Basically I'm a huge Raptors fan, and I have a full company of the little men to prove it (as seen on Graham's The Fortress of Hera FB page).
I wanted to ask you if in your opinion would Branne's Raptors would have had any of the original super Astates still within their ranks when they got made into a chapter? Additionally would they also have been given the Avenger as their new chapters flag ship seeing as it was Brannes ship to command?

The inference is definitely that any surviving Raptors formed the core of the Second Founding Chapter. Regarding the Avenger, if Branne survives the Heresy (and the Avenger survives for that matter), that would be a reasonable assumption.

Happy I could shed some more light on the Raptors for you.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Diatribe » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:34 am

Hey Gav,

Just droppin' by to say that I finally finished (yeah, I'm horrible, I know) Catechism of Hate. Keep up the good work!

PS. Any time you want to drop us a Space Wolves novella, you're more than welcome! In fact, I insist! :lol:
Diatribe

Postby Cypher6 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:20 am

Good Morning Gav,

Please could you totally write lots more Dark Angels novels, novellas and short stories.

If I buy you a beer, will you do these thingses. (The question is more of a rhetorical one)

Thanks Gav, much obliged.

Mr Hoodwinked
'Interesting times'
Cypher6

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:31 am

Dennis the Hamster wrote:
Lord of the Night wrote:I have not been able to read Angels of Darkness sadly, i'll have to wait for an omnibus.

LotN

:o :shock: :o

Shame! Shame!

However, you are lucky that I have just begun a competition. Entering is simple. The first poster called Lord of the Night to PM his address may get a copy of Angels of Darkness* in the mail (I think I have a spare one).

Gav

*I preferred it before Age of Darkness was released and I could just type AoD. :evil:
Honestly?! :shock:

Didn't see that until now but if that offer is still open that'd be awesome of you Gav. I'll PM it to you now.

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby Mossy Toes » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:33 am

Eh, I liked the "name the 5-legged sheep" competition better--and not just because I won it. :P

Still, Angels of Darkness is great.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:36 am

Cypher6 wrote:Good Morning Gav,

Please could you totally write lots more Dark Angels novels, novellas and short stories.

If I buy you a beer, will you do these thingses. (The question is more of a rhetorical one)

Thanks Gav, much obliged.

Mr Hoodwinked

I'd suggest taking a look at the 2013 section at the bottom of my first post: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=927
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby Liliedhe » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:44 am

Spoiler: Whoa :shock: That was quite a bang this part of "The Lion" ended on. And while I can understand the purpose of this (and the in-universe reasoning - influence of the warp, unbalanced temper), it still uncomfortably feels like getting rid of an unpopular character for the heck of it, especially since the guy was behaving unusually ... rotten.
I guess this isn't really a question, just a comment, because that disappointed me.
Well, what I probably want to ask is, couldn't the same point have been made by killing someone else?

Liliedhe

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:27 pm

Liliedhe wrote:

Spoiler: Whoa :shock: That was quite a bang this part of "The Lion" ended on. And while I can understand the purpose of this (and the in-universe reasoning - influence of the warp, unbalanced temper), it still uncomfortably feels like getting rid of an unpopular character for the heck of it, especially since the guy was behaving unusually ... rotten.
I guess this isn't really a question, just a comment, because that disappointed me.
Well, what I probably want to ask is, couldn't the same point have been made by killing someone else?

It was not 'for the heck of it' I can tell you. And the point that any character can die at any time can't be made by having a freshly inserted character appear in a novel only to be killed by the Lion - Redshirt syndrome, if you like. Kill 'made up guy' everyone shrugs. Kill guy who has whole novel and story arc attached, people pay attention...

(Not saying I did it just to grab headlines, but it is an important part of the metastory that characters come and go from story to story)

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:19 pm

Just one request, Gav :)

Don't go the Garviel Loken route!!!! In any way!!!!!

shadowhawk2008

Postby Lord of the Night » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:28 am

shadowhawk2008 wrote:Just one request, Gav :)

Don't go the Garviel Loken route!!!! In any way!!!!!

What?! Garviel's return was awesome!!

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:36 am

One occurence is fine. Two are really pushing the whole suspension of disbelief thing.

shadowhawk2008

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors