Ask... GAV THORPE

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby Pyroriffic » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:39 pm

Address all questions to GAV THORPE in this thread.

PLEASE AVOID ANSWERING A QUESTION UNLESS THE AUTHOR HAS HAD A CHANCE TO DO IT FIRST!

Also, please note these are not general discussion threads. The clue's in the name.

Thanks.

Gav Thorpe's official Black Library page can be found here.

The original 'Ask Gav' thread can be found at the old site archive here.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:37 am

Will you third Eldar Path novel be written after the HH novellas you have in your schedule? And any hint of what the third path will be (or is it related to the second novel, as the second relates to the first?)?
Corrigan Phoenix

Path of the Eldar

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:47 pm

Corrigan Phoenix wrote:Will you third Eldar Path novel be written after the HH novellas you have in your schedule? And any hint of what the third path will be (or is it related to the second novel, as the second relates to the first?)?

Not sure about my upcoming schedule just yet, but since Path of the Seer isn't out yet, it'll be a while. It will be called Path of the Outcast,features the exploits of Aradryan and will deal with rangers, exodites, harlequins and other non-craftworldy stuff.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Re: Path of the Eldar

Postby Lord of the Night » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:46 pm

Dennis the Hamster wrote:
Corrigan Phoenix wrote:Will you third Eldar Path novel be written after the HH novellas you have in your schedule? And any hint of what the third path will be (or is it related to the second novel, as the second relates to the first?)?

Not sure about my upcoming schedule just yet, but since Path of the Seer isn't out yet, it'll be a while. It will be called Path of the Outcast,features the exploits of Aradryan and will deal with rangers, exodites, harlequins and other non-craftworldy stuff.

Gav
A sprinkling of Dark Eldar perhaps?
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:55 am

Lord of the Night wrote:
Dennis the Hamster wrote:

Gav
A sprinkling of Dark Eldar perhaps?

Maybe an ickle bit of Dark Eldar... But they'll be getting a novel all of their own (not written by me, but I do have a mss copy that I am really enjoying).

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby BL Graeme » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:36 am

Dennis the Hamster wrote:Maybe an ickle bit of Dark Eldar... But they'll be getting a novel all of their own (not written by me, but I do have a mss copy that I am really enjoying).

Gav

Mmm, it's good, isn't it?

I particularly liked the bit where...oh no, better not say.

:D
BL Graeme

Postby Ragnar Karlsson » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:01 pm

Back in your box Graeme!
RKWD - Web design & development
Ragnar Karlsson

Postby Rob P » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:29 pm

Dear Mr Thorpe,

The Face of Teachery is awesome.

I expected the 'missing' bits from Raven's Flight and I would have been content with that, but what you gave was so much more.

Without spoiling the story I would like to ask to what extent did you have control the content of the story that made it to the page. I'll give options -

a) We want this story to reveal [shocking revelation], fit it in around an event/plot of your choosing.
b) We want you to cover events paralleling Raven's Flight and sneak [shocking revelation] in at the end.
c) The third option. :lol:

Thanks in advance.
Rob P

Postby Lord of the Night » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:07 pm

Dennis the Hamster wrote:Maybe an ickle bit of Dark Eldar... But they'll be getting a novel all of their own (not written by me, but I do have a mss copy that I am really enjoying).

Gav

BL Graeme wrote:Mmm, it's good, isn't it?

I particularly liked the bit where...oh no, better not say.

:D

Sers, you taunt me with promises of Warriors blasting splinter rifles, Wyches dancing through hordes of dying humans and Incubi hacking through the elites of the galaxy while Haemonculi experiment to their glee and Archon's plot the downfall of empires and rivals alike. YOU TAUNT ME!.

I sincerely hope that they are getting a novel, hopefully ser Reynolds or ser Kyme is writing it. They have both written fantastic portrayals of the twisted kin, though Reynold's is now out of date with the current edition.

Lord of the Night
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:58 pm

Rob P wrote:Dear Mr Thorpe,

The Face of Teachery is awesome.

I expected the 'missing' bits from Raven's Flight and I would have been content with that, but what you gave was so much more.

Without spoiling the story I would like to ask to what extent did you have control the content of the story that made it to the page. I'll give options -

a) We want this story to reveal [shocking revelation], fit it in around an event/plot of your choosing.
b) We want you to cover events paralleling Raven's Flight and sneak [shocking revelation] in at the end.
c) The third option. :lol:

Thanks in advance.

The HH series is all about revelation, and while considering Raven's Flight and in the following HH meeting, I was thinking about how difficult it must have been to escape from Isstvan even after getting away from the dropsite. Once it was clear that I would be following up the Raven Guard's exploits in Deliverance Lost it made sense to set up some expectation with a cool twist in the tale and so the premise behind Face of Treachery was born.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Cypher6 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:34 am

Dear Mr Gav,

Oh lord of ambiguity, please would you be so kind as to do some more Alpha Legion? :lol:

Many thanks,

Cyph :mrgreen:
'Interesting times'
Cypher6

Postby Commander Shadow » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:53 am

Dear Mr. Thorpe

I was wondering if you had any upcomming projects revolving around the Imperial Guard? The Last Chancers Omnibus was the first Warhammer 40k novel I ever read and it got me hooked on BL and in part writing.
- And there arose from the abyss a terrible beast and the armies of man were laid low by the walls of the ancient city. The ground shook and the skies trembled and all knew as the beast had come forth and that the end of time was upon them.

"Shadow is always right, except when he tries to save his men from charging orks" - Ang
Commander Shadow

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:46 am

Commander Shadow wrote:Dear Mr. Thorpe

I was wondering if you had any upcomming projects revolving around the Imperial Guard? The Last Chancers Omnibus was the first Warhammer 40k novel I ever read and it got me hooked on BL and in part writing.

As much as I would like to do more Imperial Guard stuff,possibly Last Chancers, at the moment I'm up to my ears in space marines and eldar...

Cheers,

GAV
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:24 pm

Ser Thorpe,

I have just finished your new short story The Rewards of Tolerance. I wanted to say I really enjoyed it, seeing Gessart and the Renegades again, and I like what they've done with their armor and weapons. I have three questions though.

1. Will we see more of their journey to the Eye in future short stories?

2. The Eldar pirate leader was named Aradryan, is this the same Aradryan from the Eldar Path series?

3. When the Renegades discuss their last battle they mention Rykhel who took a drop pod back to the doomed world. Now that seems like a pretty final end even without actually seeing him die... so why would you mention him again? (Only one reason comes to mind for me. To create reasonable doubt.)

Lord of the Night
Lord of the Night

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:57 am

Lord of the Night wrote:Ser Thorpe,

I have just finished your new short story The Rewards of Tolerance. I wanted to say I really enjoyed it, seeing Gessart and the Renegades again, and I like what they've done with their armor and weapons. I have three questions though.

1. Will we see more of their journey to the Eye in future short stories?

2. The Eldar pirate leader was named Aradryan, is this the same Aradryan from the Eldar Path series?

3. When the Renegades discuss their last battle they mention Rykhel who took a drop pod back to the doomed world. Now that seems like a pretty final end even without actually seeing him die... so why would you mention him again? (Only one reason comes to mind for me. To create reasonable doubt.)

Lord of the Night

1. I really hope so.

2. It is not a coincidence ;)

3. Two reasons: remind readers (or inform them if they have not read the first story); to keep the pressure on the renegades to reach a safe haven.

Glad you enjoyed it, I am thinking about possible exploits - maybe something with buboes in their near future.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:59 am

Cypher6 wrote:Dear Mr Gav,

Oh lord of ambiguity, please would you be so kind as to do some more Alpha Legion? :lol:

Many thanks,

Cyph :mrgreen:

8-) You ain't seen me, right? 8-)

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Cypher6 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:28 am

[/quote]

Gav[/quote]

Right!

I actually just found out, by reading your blog, that you're doing more Dark Angels.
I cannot tell you how much it pleases me to hear that!
But here's a question - can you do any spillage on any detailing of said novel/novella/audiobook?

Here's another - Dan Abnett's Little Horus largely lends itself to the idea of facial reconstruction, so, could it possibly be that one sneaky Alpha Legionnaire has in fact bumped 'Lil Horus off, folded him neatly into an ammo crate, deliberately almost gotten his face cut off so that he can undergo reconstructive surgery to look like Aximand (who looks like Horus)? Thoughts Mr Gav? :mrgreen:

Cyph
'Interesting times'
Cypher6

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:01 pm

Cypher6 wrote:

Gav

Right!

I actually just found out, by reading your blog, that you're doing more Dark Angels.
I cannot tell you how much it pleases me to hear that!
But here's a question - can you do any spillage on any detailing of said novel/novella/audiobook?

Here's another - Dan Abnett's Little Horus largely lends itself to the idea of facial reconstruction, so, could it possibly be that one sneaky Alpha Legionnaire has in fact bumped 'Lil Horus off, folded him neatly into an ammo crate, deliberately almost gotten his face cut off so that he can undergo reconstructive surgery to look like Aximand (who looks like Horus)? Thoughts Mr Gav? :mrgreen:

Cyph

You'll just have to wait for Deliverance Lost to find out more about that.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi Gav,

Just saw the Age of Darkness trailer. One thing I really wanted to say is that your voice is 'heavier/deeper' than I expected :) Nice surprise. Anyways.... the trailer is really amping me up now :D
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:33 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:Hi Gav,

Just saw the Age of Darkness trailer. One thing I really wanted to say is that your voice is 'heavier/deeper' than I expected :) Nice surprise. Anyways.... the trailer is really amping me up now :D

I get that a lot. Next interview I do, I'm taking some helium with me just for the hell of it...

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors