Ask... GAV THORPE

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby sam vimes » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:24 am

Im on page 432 and yes the road to hell is paved with good intentions, both Kurt and Karl Hoche did this.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby sam vimes » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:48 am

And finished Slaves to darkness, great read hope to one day read more about the southeren Wolf.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Fenris » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:48 pm

Just finished reading the extract of Asurmen

can we move the calendar to June right now? :P
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:45 am

Fenris wrote:Just finished reading the extract of Asurmen

can we move the calendar to June right now? :P

If it's June now, I'm late delivering Angels of Caliban :oops:

Hope you enjoy the rest of the book as much as the extract.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:21 pm

On the subject of Asurmen, I actually do have a question or two;

1. Is Asurmen 224 pages as it appears to be on Black Library, or is it 300+ as Amazon claims?

2. With Asurmen done, which Phoenix Lord is next? (I'd vote for Karandras or Maugan Ra)

3. Might we see any characters from the Path series again?

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:07 am

Lord of the Night wrote:On the subject of Asurmen, I actually do have a question or two;

1. Is Asurmen 224 pages as it appears to be on Black Library, or is it 300+ as Amazon claims?

I would think 224 pages seems more likely. It is 50,000 words, about half a regular novel.

2. With Asurmen done, which Phoenix Lord is next? (I'd vote for Karandras or Maugan Ra)

I don't know who is next. (This will be a shared series - not all of the books will be written by me...)

3. Might we see any characters from the Path series again?

Very unlikely, although not impossible.

Cheers,

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Lord of the Night » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:52 am

Finished The Unforgiven last night, and it was brilliant. Best Dark Angels novel yet, and that ending reveal... I was stunned silent. I do have two questions;

1. Regarding what Annael does at the end of the book and the... ramifications of that act on both sides, did you have to run that by the editors before you wrote it or did you just hand it in and get an ok?

Spoiler: In CZ Dunn's Pandorax Corpulax the former Consecrator says that he has spoken to the one Fallen who has escaped the Rock. Given the events of this novel can we assume he means Astelan?

3. Now that you are done with the definitive Dark Angels trilogy, what is next for Gav Thorpe?

Thanks for what you can answer, and for the Legacy of Caliban trilogy (it was a hell of a read),

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:51 am

Lord of the Night wrote:Finished The Unforgiven last night, and it was brilliant. Best Dark Angels novel yet, and that ending reveal... I was stunned silent. I do have two questions;

1. Regarding what Annael does at the end of the book and the... ramifications of that act on both sides, did you have to run that by the editors before you wrote it or did you just hand it in and get an ok?

The whole synopsis was approved beforehand, but that's the case with any BL novel. There's a reason the series is called Legacy of Caliban ;-)

Spoiler: In CZ Dunn's Pandorax Corpulax the former Consecrator says that he has spoken to the one Fallen who has escaped the Rock. Given the events of this novel can we assume he means Astelan?

It would be nice if that was the case, but Christian must have had something else in mind as the idea of what you describe hadn't occured to me at the time he was writing Pandorax. And as you now know, there have been at least two individuals with that claim to fame (one of them, several times!).

3. Now that you are done with the definitive Dark Angels trilogy, what is next for Gav Thorpe?

On the 40K front, I don't know yet. I am about to start a new novel for a certain reworked setting, after that it's gone a bit vague again. I have a meeting with BL in a couple of weeks at which I hope to flesh out the plan for the rest of the year.

Thanks for what you can answer, and for the Legacy of Caliban trilogy (it was a hell of a read),

LotN

Cheers, glad you enjoyed the journey,

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Mossy Toes » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:50 am

Blasted Ol' Cypher, mucking up Dark Angel plans again!

(I'm guessing)
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Phoebus » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:46 am

Hi Gav,

If you have the time, I have a question: where do you place the events of The Unforgiven versus the old Thirteenth Black Crusade timeline? I ask because I couldn't help but think of the events at the end of the novel versus those of that old campaign, wherein the Dark Angels initially pursue the Voice of the Emperor (himself a mysterious, hooded gunslinger in power armour) only to find themselves fighting for control of the remains of Caliban.

Do you see th events of your novel as separate and distinct from those of the Black Crusade, or do you, like Aaron Dembski-Bowden see that campaign timeline as not necessarily binding for new fiction?

Thanks in advance!
"And where is the prince who can afford so to cover his country with troops for its defense as that ten thousand men descending from the clouds might not in many places do an infinite deal of mischief before a force could be brought together to repel them?"
-- Benjamin Franklin
Phoebus

Postby sam vimes » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:37 am

Gav um why is the lion just.. so damn unpleasant, I can understand the mind sets and motivations of more or less all the primarchs traitor and loyalist alike but the lion just seems to go out of his way to antagonise and be arrogant yeah yeah I know "1st legion sword of the Emperor blah fething blah" every time he's in a book he does his own thing runs rough shod over peoples plans without any thought for the consequences of his actions.

I'm trying to not go on a rant here as I like the idea of what the lion is and the 1st legion lol but Emperor damn me if he isn't making it hard to root for him and his legion, I just so badly want him to tone down his arrogance alongside Roboute Guilliman's and for them to actulay start working together properly oh and for them to work out there brotherly frustrations in the training cages.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:06 pm

Phoebus wrote:Hi Gav,

If you have the time, I have a question: where do you place the events of The Unforgiven versus the old Thirteenth Black Crusade timeline? I ask because I couldn't help but think of the events at the end of the novel versus those of that old campaign, wherein the Dark Angels initially pursue the Voice of the Emperor (himself a mysterious, hooded gunslinger in power armour) only to find themselves fighting for control of the remains of Caliban.

Do you see th events of your novel as separate and distinct from those of the Black Crusade, or do you, like Aaron Dembski-Bowden see that campaign timeline as not necessarily binding for new fiction?

Thanks in advance!

With necromantic prowess, I finally come back to this thread...

I sort of see The Unforgiven as an alternate take on events as they were portrayed originally - a different concept of the Voice of the Emperor episode and fighting around Caliban.

Cheers,

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:12 pm

sam vimes wrote:Gav um why is the lion just.. so damn unpleasant, I can understand the mind sets and motivations of more or less all the primarchs traitor and loyalist alike but the lion just seems to go out of his way to antagonise and be arrogant yeah yeah I know "1st legion sword of the Emperor blah fething blah" every time he's in a book he does his own thing runs rough shod over peoples plans without any thought for the consequences of his actions.

I'm trying to not go on a rant here as I like the idea of what the lion is and the 1st legion lol but Emperor damn me if he isn't making it hard to root for him and his legion, I just so badly want him to tone down his arrogance alongside Roboute Guilliman's and for them to actulay start working together properly oh and for them to work out there brotherly frustrations in the training cages.

And this one too...

The flipside of the Lion's arrogance is an utter devotion to his own concept of loyalty and honour. He would lay down his life for the Emperor in an instant - and would have done the same for Luther upper until the apparent betrayal. It's important to understand that the Lion holds everyone to the same inflexivle notions of allegiance, which is why the slightest hint of faithlessness is liable to set him off.

Cheers,

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby InquisitorTuplov » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:21 am

How many Alpha legion would it take to change the fate of humanity?
InquisitorTuplov

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:44 am

InquisitorTuplov wrote:How many Alpha legion would it take to change the fate of humanity?

Two.

One to change it.

And one to change it back again.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby David Earle » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:39 pm

Just finished up Lorgar: Bearer of the Word last week. Very good, and it's got me looking at the other Primarchs books, but I did have a couple questions:

1. The Colchisian faith seems remarkably tame for Chaos. Deliberate attempt to hide from the Emperor or can Chaos actually be that livable if it wants?

2. For all his regretful posturing, does Lorgar actually value human life at all? For Fenris's sake...

3. Are there any plans to give Erebus's history a look? I've always been a bit confused about where he fits in.

4. Lorgar's eyes. No question, just a nice call back. (Call forward?)
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:49 am

David Earle wrote:Just finished up Lorgar: Bearer of the Word last week. Very good, and it's got me looking at the other Primarchs books, but I did have a couple questions:

1. The Colchisian faith seems remarkably tame for Chaos. Deliberate attempt to hide from the Emperor or can Chaos actually be that livable if it wants?

2. For all his regretful posturing, does Lorgar actually value human life at all? For Fenris's sake...

3. Are there any plans to give Erebus's history a look? I've always been a bit confused about where he fits in.

4. Lorgar's eyes. No question, just a nice call back. (Call forward?)

1. More that it has run out of steam, literally rote and ceremony has replaced true belief, perhaps connected to the stilling of the warp by the Fall, or maybe simply religious entropy.

2. Only en masse. One death is a murder, a 1,000 are a statistic. If he has inherited an aspect of the Emperor it is vision - the ability to conjure up a form of what might be beyond anyone else's imagining. The long view. If only he had got on better with Guilleman they could have created something amazeballs.

3. I wanted the woman who presents a baby to Lorgar for blessing toward the end to say 'Bless my little boy, Erebus,' but the editors asked me to remove it... :-(

4. Yeah, I like to sprinkle in that sort of thing.

Cheers,

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Therion » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:56 am

Wow, I finished reading Angels of Darkness yesterday, and they were amazing! My second favourite after the Ian Watson's work. Can't believe no one recommended it to me (got curious about other your books after reading Purging of Kadillus which got published here recently (tfw only HH and SMB getting published now, though, so my mother won't be able to read the rest) and it being the first Space Marines battle novel I've read (before that I've read The Siege of Castellax and Rhynn's World - first had absurd situation and ridiculous supermarines and in the second one Orks had no heavy weapons for some reason besides the battle on Badlanding O_o .) where I liked the most important part which is depiction of Space Marines in combat.)

Loved the mental perversions of the characters - reminded me a bit of some of interactions between brothers in Space Marine thought more chapter-specific rather than character background specific.
Also, long discussions between Astelan and Boreas were awesome!

"Great Crusade isn't an event, it's a state of mind" will certainly be added to my most cherished Wh40k thoughts.

Now I'll have to buy The Legacy of Caliban... somewhere in the future.

Spoiler: It was fun to see Boreas snap in the end XD . It's like he got redeemed by Astelan after all XD .

One question I have is:

But one thing I wonder is to what degree his actions were reasonable? The way I see it, after Fallen Angels have shown up and started attacking their campaign of terror in Dark Angels armour. the world is doomed by knowledge it shouldn't have.

So, it would be reasonable for him to let the virus do its thing.

I guess The Legacy of Caliban will include dealing with all the mess, left, including the witnesses?

I think that Boreas and his squad didn't need to kill themselves because they could use their sus-an membranes to enter state of suspended animation and wait out until the virus deactivates XD .

"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors