Ask... ROB SANDERS

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: Ask... ROB SANDERS

Postby Liliedhe » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:10 pm

Happy Birthday Rob :). Have a party and wear a silly hat :mrgreen:. Or just have a party and have fun. :)
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Anakwanar » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

Happy Birthday - may you write more awesomeness that was Legion of The Damned - in the future.
Anakwanar

Postby Lord of the Night » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:09 pm

Hey Rob,

It's been a while since any of us have heard from you and I was hoping to ask you a question. Can we expect some more novels/novellas/short stories/etc from you in the near future?? And if so can you tell us anything about what you've been working on or your working on now??

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby flick » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:54 pm

So when you do you think the Death-Guard will get their moment in the corpse-light? I'm guessing they don't get Nurgle's 'blessing' until toward the end of the HH?

I love how the Death-Guard are now, so I don't want just anybody doing one of the most famous events of the HH. You did a great job with Distant Echoes of Old Night, so I'm hoping you get the gig instead of some grumpy old-hack like *Redacted*.
flick

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:12 pm

Hey Rob,

Started Archaon: Everchosen yesterday and finished it today, and I absolutely loved it! One of the best fantasy books i've read, period. I've reviewed it for TWG,

http://www.talkwargaming.com/2014/03/bl ... chaon.html

And I do have a few questions about things that happened in the book, in addition to what I liked best.

Spoiler: 1. What exactly was Be'lakor doing everytime Archaon died? Was he turning back time to before the chapter began and changing something, or was he just showing us what would have happened if he hadn't tweaked something to alter events? Or was each death an alternate reality where Archaon was never conceived/killed at birth/eaten by Flamefang/hanged himself/etc and the chapters where he lives are the prime reality?

2. I'm a bit confused by what happened on the Citadel of Spite. I get that Mother Fecund put a Maggot-Man in the place of Archaon and that Maggot-Man is the one who led the raid on the Eshin ships and whom Dravin killed (after making out with it) and that the Brothers Spasskov summoned Sheerian for help destroying Archaon, but how did Archaon end up there in the first place? And why did it take so long for things to go to hell if Mother Fecund or one of the others believed Archaon was gone already?

3. What made you decide on Diederick Kastner as Archaon's birth name? (I hesitate to say true name since Archaon is the name he was destined to have)

4. What is the deal with Giselle? Her hate for Archaon early in the book makes perfect sense, but why does she start sleeping with him while also trying to kill him? Is she going insane slowly and that insanity makes her attracted to Archaon? Or is it that she is slowly turning to the darkness and thus she loves Archaon for being the ultimate darkness but also hates him for bringing her to this point? Or something else entirely? I found their relationship very interesting for what Archaon realised at the end, that he views Giselle as a pure soul who doesn't deserve to die or be corrupted, and yet if he is to become Lord of the End he must destroy her. Interesting conumdrum, and I agree that the Chaos Gods are probably laughing themselves silly over it.

5. Will Eins, Zwei and Drei get their armour back or are they stuck in those flesh forms from now on? Also is there any chance we'll learn more about them? Like if Archaon is right and Zwei and Drei are brothers, or why Vier and Fünf hated each other?

6. Are there any further Chaos servants and armies that you came up with but didn't make it into the book? Because that was one of the aspects that I enjoyed the most, all the different armies and monsters that flocked to Archaon's banner and the variety of them. Plus the names were great and conjured really interesting images, like the Dreaded Wo,the Bronze Company, the Albino-Gors of Gorghas Hornsqualor; but no more than Flamefang. He, along with Archaon was the coolest thing in the book.

7. Who do you think is the most interesting character of the cast? I think it's a tie between Archaon and Giselle, though for favourites mine is definitely Vier. I really liked him, especially the moment when he fist-bumped Archaon's shoulder and ran off to fight Flamefang. Very expressive moment for a guy who can't or won't talk. I was also very very pleased that Eins, Zwei, Drei and Vier survived, poor Fünf, and hope they'll make it through the series.

Really really enjoyed this book from start to finish, although when I was reading it I had a brief thought that perhaps each Treasure of Chaos would get it's own book, meaning 6 Archaon books in total. Awesome, but not to be. But that's alright, the quality of this one is worth three merely good books. Can't wait to see the next book in the series.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Xisor » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:29 pm

First up: brilliant. Astonishingly so. I'll wax lyrical elsewhere though.

Forgive me, if I might jump in on some of Lord of the Night's questions. (It was his copy that I'd bought extra at BLL - so that's two signed copies read!)

Apologies for the big pile of black blocks about to follow. :)

Lord of the Night wrote:

Spoiler: 1. What exactly was Be'lakor doing everytime Archaon died? Was he turning back time to before the chapter began and changing something, or was he just showing us what would have happened if he hadn't tweaked something to alter events? Or was each death an alternate reality where Archaon was never conceived/killed at birth/eaten by Flamefang/hanged himself/etc and the chapters where he lives are the prime reality?

If I'm not mistaken, it's a literary commentary on the nature of 'the beyond'. It's a flourish meant to illustrate the enigma of existence (or something like that), one that doesn't need or demand explanation and, perhaps, might not even be bettered by one.

Spoiler: With regards to the warp and the realm of daemons, what is 'truth'? What is 'reality' and what is an 'alternate reality' if a daemon can step from one to the other with more or less the same ease, to examine everything that ever was or will be in all its near-infinite capacity?

Extract from the book.

In a less literary point, I'd note that 'rewinding time' is fundamentally a bad way to think about time and existence. The ordering of events is difficult enough in the real, empirical universe. Let alone one in which magic and insanity leaks in from an unspeakable beyond that has no meaningful or significant concept of linearity, except when it wants to mess things up for you.

Of course, the actual insight into the mechanics of it might make sense and be perfectly credible, but from a literary perspective, it's deliberately obscure and enigmatic.

Lord of the Night wrote:

Spoiler: 4. What is the deal with Giselle? Her hate for Archaon early in the book makes perfect sense, but why does she start sleeping with him while also trying to kill him? Is she going insane slowly and that insanity makes her attracted to Archaon? Or is it that she is slowly turning to the darkness and thus she loves Archaon for being the ultimate darkness but also hates him for bringing her to this point? Or something else entirely? I found their relationship very interesting for what Archaon realised at the end, that he views Giselle as a pure soul who doesn't deserve to die or be corrupted, and yet if he is to become Lord of the End he must destroy her. Interesting conumdrum, and I agree that the Chaos Gods are probably laughing themselves silly over it.

Spoiler: I don't think that one can really be clocked up to the dark gods. She's human. He's human. Despite everything. There's an edge of Stockholm Syndrome to it, but it reads as much more compelling than that (and anyway, I understand Stockholm Syndrome isn't very well described anyway, out here in reality). If anything, Giselle is the only character who's retained her strength.

There's an argument of gods and spirituality and faith to it too, but I think that's putting the cart before the horse: one might rationalise it, as Archaon does, as being something about purity and corruption, but that's a manifestation of the individual will. If Giselle was tainted, or if Be'lakor started messing with *her* life, perhaps that will would be compromised, but until then it's a regular "human shows strong spirit in face of adversity" beacon of hope. It's told for a Games Workshop audience (and, IMO, in a very deft, brilliantly understated way), but realistically the story of Giselle and Archaon getting together isn't too far from Dumbledore's "If there is one thing Voldemort cannot understand, it is love. He didn't realize that love as powerful as your mother's for you leaves its own mark. Not a scar, no visible sign ... to have been loved so deeply, even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever. (...) It was agony to touch a person marked by something so good."

But of course, love isn't the big thing in Warhammer, it's hate. That certainty and security, that jealous, precious contempt and belief and will. It's more or less the same as love. :lol:

I'd argue that out of the books that's largely true too - love and hate aren't universal opposites, love (or hate) and indifference are.

------

But that's enough spoiler text.

Like Lord of the Night, I loved the book. Again, like Lord of the Night, I have a few questions.

Firstly, I altogether too easily find myself mirroring bits of GW literature with things 'out there' in other literature, though quite often the popular modern 'childrens' classics like Harry Potter or the His Dark Materials trilogies. Unsurprisingly, there's a sense of that sheer wonder here (much more HDM - unlike Nick's Salamander/Hazon Da'kir and the Tome of Fire, which very bizarrely features an outright "Yer a wizard, Hazzie" moment! I digress...).

For me, the most delicious and notable 'general' aspect of the book was the density of the creativity involved. But then there was another big note that follows it: the journey and (for want of a better word) distinctiveness of the 'lives' through which Archaon lived. It put me in mind of The Thirteen-and-a-half Lives of Captain Bluebear. It's an odd little parallel, but my main question then (other than, had you read any Walter Moers?) was if there were any specific stylistic or structural influences in that vein you were deliberately wanting to pay homage to? (Or, indeed, rip-off wholesale? We can't make assumptions about your character! :P )

---

Secondly, naming. Having noted the title, Archaon: Everchosen, I'd like to complain

Spoiler: that it seems Archaon wasn't "everchosen" at all! And he isn't even Archaon!!!

Well, no, not really. :P Rather: unlike Legion of the Damned, it's a bit more 'on-the-nose' of a title. A concession to 'them'* in going for a more concise, unambiguous title? Or something else again? Myself, reading it, I felt it could well have been titled "Liber Caelestior" (as per "Atlas Infernal"). But that might be me being indignant and curmudgeonly in thinking that maybe 'they' deserve to get even more 'problematic' titles.

It's perhaps worth noting that the title does, arguably, expand on the intricacy and enigmas of the plot. So even with a 'simpler' title, it's still rather fun to examine.

* "But most of the book is about this other guy!"

---

Finally, well... it's not a really a question, merely: my sincere thanks as it's been a genuinely immense pleasure to read it!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Anakwanar » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:47 am

Legion of the Dead; Archaon: Everchosen; Harrowing from Seditions gate - the best stuff from BL in years. Now i can't wait for more Callistra Mundi harrowing and Archaon adventures. Rob - then we could await for them to arrive? Also - what happened to your novella 'Cybernetica'?
Anakwanar

Postby Fenris » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:28 pm

So,i just finished Archaon:Lord of chaos.

Loved it,maybe a little less than Everchosen but "a little less than a lot" is still a lot :lol:

That said,i have one small question

Spoiler: Gorst.

I'm left wondering if his main use was intended to be playing the obvious target for some expected last minute surprise (i know i was thinking about what could happen with him at the end every time he showed up :D ),taking all suspicion away from Giselle,or if he was there to show that the only person that could actually follow Archaon without ulterior motives from start to finish had to be mad all along

Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby Foghost » Tue May 17, 2016 10:16 am

Hello, Mr. Sanders,

I've just finished reading yr book Cybernetica and I have some questions abt it:

1. The Carrion - in Russian language the main meaning of this term is a dead corpse, however in yr book the definition of the Dravian "new name" is more common with carrion bird, pls explain the true meaning.
2. Daedarii - is that the name of the important for this cohort place or person?
3. Strix - is there any reference with Strix (pl. striges or strixes), in the Ancient Roman and Greek legends was a bird of ill omen, product of metamorphosis, that fed on human flesh and blood.
4. exigency engine - can you give me some synonyms of this term, to avoid any misunderstanding.
5. clavemasters - what are those things?

Thanks in advance!
Foghost

Postby Words_of_Truth » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:23 am

Hi Rob I was wondering, I was thinking of making a Death Watch Blackshield a Crimson Consul and was wondering what colour the shoulder pad and their emblem looks like?
Words_of_Truth

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors