Ask... ANTHONY REYNOLDS

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Ask... ANTHONY REYNOLDS

Postby Pyroriffic » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:35 pm

Address all your questions to ANTHONY REYNOLDS here.

PLEASE AVOID ANSWERING A QUESTION UNLESS THE AUTHOR HAS HAD A CHANCE TO DO IT FIRST!

Also, please note these are not general discussion threads. The clue's in the name.
Thanks.

Anthony Reynolds' official Black Library page can be found here.

The original 'Ask Anthony' thread can be found at the old site archive, here.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Re: Ask... ANTHONY REYNOLDS

Postby Ant Reynolds » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:23 am

Hi folks,

Ooooooh, isn't it shiny and nice over here!

I thought I'd try to answer some of my unanswered questions from the old bolthole. So, to get things started:

Dark Angel: I'd definitely like to do more Word Bearers down the track, and tell the story of what happens next, but no plans to right at the moment.Would Kor Phaeron appear? No idea, I'm afraid! But it might be cool, yeah.

Lord of the Night: Cheers, glad you liked the Dark Eldar in Dark Disciple. Again, no current plans to write more of them - looking forward to reading their own book, though.

Captain Demeter: Word Bearers short stories - yep, there is one called Torment that is in the omnibus. It takes place after the action of the books, and deals with some repercussions from Dark Creed. I have another short half written (that features the Death Guard), but that was turning into something bigger than it needed to be to fit into the omnibus, so something I've put aside for the moment to ponder and work on at a later date. As to future Word Bearers books and what happens in them - nothing confirmed, and no current plans for them, just some fairly vague ideas and directions in my head at the moment. Be cool to see a bit more of Erebus in 40K time, though...

Corrigan Phoenix - ok, this answer is obviously now a little outdated - yes the Word Bearers books are to be combined into an omnibus to be released next Jan. And the cover looks AWESOME.

Venerable Latheos: RE: World Eaters. Not really thought of them much, to be honest. I'm kinda keen for my next foray into 40k being a lot less 'bang bang kill kill', and the World Eaters might not necessarily work with that aim in mind. Having said that, a thinking man's World Eater book (with, of course, some scenes of utter brutality), might be quite interesting. Hmm.

RuneGuard: So, why were Questing Knight and Grail Knight not written as full novels, like Knight Errant and Questing Knight? For practical reasons, pretty much. For one, if all four were written as novels, they would not fit into an omnibus. And for two, the Bretonnian novels didn't sell as well as my other books, despite Knight Errant probably being what I think of as my best book (as a general rule, Warhammer books don't sell as many copies as 40K - a picture of a Space Marine on a cover sells books - and books about Bretonnia are kinda a niche within a niche).

The original plan was to write Questing Knight as a novel and Grail Knight as a novella, which was an idea I was quite keen on. In retrospect I'm not sure would have been the best idea, unless Questing Knight was written ala Brothers of the Snake and featured a number of separate adventures and perhaps one longer one (perhaps as a framing story), as it would be kinda hard to have a strong central story based around a guy wandering all over the known world engaged on his quest. My favoured approach would probably have been to write a bunch of short stories about Calard's adventures on the quest, but that would not have been practical really. As it was, to get the omnibus into print, I think the two novella approach was the best. With the two novellas and the short story in the omni, it is roughly the equivalent of a full extra novel in the omni, which I think is a pretty damn good deal. Plus, it's great to have the whole tale, from start to finish, in that one volume.

Let me know if I missed any old question, and feel free to fire away with any new ones.

Cheers!
Ant
Ant Reynolds

Postby flick » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:18 am

Do you think Lorgar realised that he had been manipulated by Chaos and his closest advisors by the end of the HH? Is that why he's still sulking in his pyramid? Or maybe he's even more 'At one' with chaos through meditation?
flick

Postby RuneGuard » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:50 pm

Thankyou for answering my questions, ive just finished reading grail knight and i must say i was very happy with the ending, though of course being a greedy reader i would love to find out what happens next.

I really liked where you took Calard for questing knight and even more so for Grail Knight as Athel Loren is by far one of my favourite environments set within warahmmer today.

Would you ever consider doing a Time of Legends series, say based on the rise of Gilles le Breton?

Cheers.
RuneGuard

Postby sam vimes » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:42 pm

Hey sir Reynolds im curious will we be seeing any, shorts on Bretonia from you based on and around thier relationship with the wood elves, as after reading your exellent exellent word bearers I look forward to picking up your Bretonion novels.

And may I say the prophcey in Dark apostle and the third book in Dark Disciple "She who thirsts" were fantasticly written an Erebus was ace in Dark creed hope to see more from Mmarduk in the near future.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Falkenhayn » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:17 am

Hello Anthony Reynolds. I coincidentally saw that you were online so I have two brief questions for you:

Can you tell us what you are working right now? Any NDA's aside of course.

I really enjoyed the brief portrayal of Sicarius in Dark Disciple. Do of your other books feature that planet?
Falkenhayn

Postby Ant Reynolds » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:55 am

flick wrote:Do you think Lorgar realised that he had been manipulated by Chaos and his closest advisors by the end of the HH? Is that why he's still sulking in his pyramid? Or maybe he's even more 'At one' with chaos through meditation?

Hmm, I just wrote a reply to this but seem to have managed to send it spinning off into the ether - most probably through my own cack-handedness, so I will reply again!

I always liked to think that Lorgar knew an awful lot more of what was going on around him than most give him credit for - did he allow himself to be 'manipulated'? Was he playing those around him? I don't really have an answer for that, of course - Aaron would have some good thoughts on this, I reckon.

As to what Lorgar is up to now, and why... Well, I have a few ideas, but I might hold on to them for now, as I might come back and use them in a story down the track.
Ant Reynolds

Postby Ant Reynolds » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:07 am

RuneGuard wrote:Thankyou for answering my questions, ive just finished reading grail knight and i must say i was very happy with the ending, though of course being a greedy reader i would love to find out what happens next.

I really liked where you took Calard for questing knight and even more so for Grail Knight as Athel Loren is by far one of my favourite environments set within warahmmer today.

Would you ever consider doing a Time of Legends series, say based on the rise of Gilles le Breton?

Cheers.

Hey, no worries. I'm pleased you liked the ending of Grail Knight - I've had that ending in my head since finishing Knight of the Realm.

Yeah, I've always loved Athel Loren too - when I was in Games Dev I made damn sure that I was the one who got to write the book!

Time of Legends, Gilles the Breton, eh? It was fun fleshing out his twelve famous battles back when writing the Bretonnia Army Book, and there is definitely plenty enough material to work with. In particular, the relationship/rivalry between Gilles's two closet friends, Landuin and Thierulf, would be really interesting, I think. Big battles, the first encounter with the Lady of Lake, and bonds of brotherhood - it is definitely an epic story waiting to be told. In truth I've no current plans to write it, nor spoken to anyone at BL about doing so, but never say never.
Ant Reynolds

Postby Ant Reynolds » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:24 am

sam vimes wrote:Hey sir Reynolds im curious will we be seeing any, shorts on Bretonia from you based on and around thier relationship with the wood elves, as after reading your exellent exellent word bearers I look forward to picking up your Bretonion novels.

And may I say the prophcey in Dark apostle and the third book in Dark Disciple "She who thirsts" were fantasticly written an Erebus was ace in Dark creed hope to see more from Mmarduk in the near future.

'Grail Knight', the final part of my Bretonnian story arc in the Knights of Bretonnia omnibus (out now kids!), deals directly with Bretonnia's relationship with the Wood Elves. That novella is set within Athel Loren itself, so hopefully that floats your boat in that regard! If you do pick up the omnibus, hope you like it - I reckon it is probably my favourite work that I've done for BL.

Glad you've been liking the Word Bearers stories. The omnibus is out in January with a new story in it that takes place after Dark Creed, so that might go a way to fulfilling your Marduk fix (though Marduk is not that main character of that new short story...)
Ant Reynolds

Postby Ant Reynolds » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:33 am

Falkenhayn wrote:Hello Anthony Reynolds. I coincidentally saw that you were online so I have two brief questions for you:

Can you tell us what you are working right now? Any NDA's aside of course.

I really enjoyed the brief portrayal of Sicarius in Dark Disciple. Do of your other books feature that planet?

Hi Falkenhayn,

Right now I'm playing around with a few kids books ideas - something I've been wanting to do for years - as well as putting together proposals for two short stories and a novella for BL. Two of those involve Chaos Space Marines while the other focuses on loyalist Space Marines (for a change). Nothing signed off yet, so I can't really go into any details...
Ant Reynolds

Postby Falkenhayn » Mon May 09, 2011 3:37 am

Hey again. Saw you were online so...

Thanks for replying to my questions. :D
Falkenhayn

Postby Dark Angel » Mon May 09, 2011 7:49 pm

Heya mate.

Just wondering, if you'd like to share any information on your next 40K project? I'm eager to know! :)
"I say, Mosley, what is your movement's attitude towards birth control?" Mosley drew himself up to his
full height, hands on hips, and looked the young man up and down, before replying:
"After looking at you, I should think the question of birth control comes about twenty
years too late. Next question, please." The questioner subsided into his seat, and the
meeting continued to a triumphant conclusion. There were no further interruptions.
Dark Angel

Postby Atlantic » Thu May 12, 2011 6:22 pm

Have you any further plans for Calard after Grail Knight?

I'd like to see what happens with the daemon child, and the fate of Garamont. Perhaps a series of epic quests?
Opportunity is missed by most people, because it wears overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
Atlantic

Postby sam vimes » Sat May 14, 2011 10:09 am

This is me problay being a little thick but, towards the end of dark creed Marduk seems to be both on his warship and the grand apostles, was this a error while writing till the wee small hours, or just something that slipped through the editing process?
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Ant Reynolds » Fri May 20, 2011 2:34 am

Dark Angel wrote:Heya mate.

Just wondering, if you'd like to share any information on your next 40K project? I'm eager to know! :)

For them moment, some short stories and possibly a novella (some Chaos Space Marine goodness, and some loyalist action). I'll put a post up on my blog with more details once they are a bit more final and definite.
Ant Reynolds

Postby Ant Reynolds » Fri May 20, 2011 2:38 am

Atlantic wrote:Have you any further plans for Calard after Grail Knight?

I'd like to see what happens with the daemon child, and the fate of Garamont. Perhaps a series of epic quests?

No further plans for stories after Grail Knight. I like the way the series ends - I think to then follow it up with another story would weaken that ending. I would quite like to go back in time in a bit and show a few more of Calard's adventures as a Questing Knight, however.I had originally planned for him to head down to Nehekhara during his quest, so a story around that would be fun.
Ant Reynolds

Postby Ant Reynolds » Fri May 20, 2011 2:43 am

sam vimes wrote:This is me problay being a little thick but, towards the end of dark creed Marduk seems to be both on his warship and the grand apostles, was this a error while writing till the wee small hours, or just something that slipped through the editing process?

I can't spot the part you mean - could you give me a page reference? If there is a mistake I'd like to correct it for the Omnibus if possible. Sometimes errors do slip through, and I can tell you it is incredibly frustrating to the author.

Cheers!
Ant Reynolds

Postby Gaius Marius » Sun May 22, 2011 4:46 am

Just finished Knight Errant, after Knight of the Realm, and it was good to see the character evolution between the two novels. I do feel like there were plenty of dangling plot threads after finishing Knight of the Realm, which I have to say has some of the best cover art on any BL book, and I'm hoping they'll be resolved in the novellas.
Space Cowboy, Spartan II, Specter, Reclusiarch

'I see the fear you have inside.'
Gaius Marius

Postby sam vimes » Mon May 23, 2011 7:12 pm

Ant Reynolds wrote:
sam vimes wrote:This is me problay being a little thick but, towards the end of dark creed Marduk seems to be both on his warship and the grand apostles, was this a error while writing till the wee small hours, or just something that slipped through the editing process?

I can't spot the part you mean - could you give me a page reference? If there is a mistake I'd like to correct it for the Omnibus if possible. Sometimes errors do slip through, and I can tell you it is incredibly frustrating to the author.

Cheers!

page 350 first paragraph from the bottom, it took a few read throughs for me to realise it was thier

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby sam vimes » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:17 pm

Holy feth sir reynolds, I finished the second Calard novel, in the small hours of this morning and lady above, the ending was fantastic, the duel between Reolus and the maurauder chieften was mind blowing, I did a similar scene in a dbz fan fic last year, I know saiyans with swords are a little odd but it was a damnn sight easier to write a sword duel than a cqc fight.

I haven't read the novellas yet as I was too tired to read them, I'm curious will we be seeing more from Bertelis as given what happend between him and calard, despite his fierce loyalty to him and his ending in the second book, I wouldn't be suprised if he meets a dark fate.

Thank you so much for two fantastic books, I look forward to reading the novellas and a question regarding the warmonger, did he used to be sol tolgron, as given his flash backs in the word bearears books, and a few bits in the collected visions books I both do and dont hope its him.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors