Ask... ANTHONY REYNOLDS

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: Ask... ANTHONY REYNOLDS

Postby Rex Imperator » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:08 am

Hi Anthony,

Quick question about Scions of the Storm,.

Were the artificials on Forty Seven-Sixteen something created by the inhabitants of that world or were they based on an STC?

Thanks!
Rex Imperator

Postby sam vimes » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:54 am

well read the novellas and you continue, to blow my mind the fey were excellently, portrayed very very well, not as tree hugging hippies and the depiction of bretonia talk about contrasts!

Can now see why both the empire haven't stomped them and took over, it would take and cost too much to take over, and secondly the bretonians would match the empire I feel any way, blow for blow in a straight up fight but given thier technological and tactical inflexability, as well as the poor state of thier foot forces, long term battle I think they'd lose but only narrowly as thiers always the luck of the moment.

Re-read dark apostle for the 8th? 9th time? And enjoyed just as much as I did the first time, probalay chiefly for how the propchey unfolds, so given how you excel at portray darker characters, will we ever be seeing a short, novella or novel about a chaos maruarder in the chaos wastes, or better yet the chaos dwarfs as damn I really want to see more on the dark stunties, right muttering over and oh yes never thanked you for answering my question about the necrons and the warp on your blog a good while back, thank you.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Ant Reynolds » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:02 am

Gaius Marius wrote:Just finished Knight Errant, after Knight of the Realm, and it was good to see the character evolution between the two novels. I do feel like there were plenty of dangling plot threads after finishing Knight of the Realm, which I have to say has some of the best cover art on any BL book, and I'm hoping they'll be resolved in the novellas.

I think most of the dangling plot threads got covered in the two novellas... Further stories of Calard's adventures as a Questing Knight would be fun to do at some point, though I'm not sure it will happen. Seems like a good way of having quite varied stories, though - a good way of seeing lots of the Warhammer world and lots of different enemies. Random thought - Questing Knight as a comic series would be fun.

Yeah, I absolutely loved Alex Boyd's cover for Knight of the Realm. Clint Langley's cover for the omni is pretty damn good as well - Calard looks like a proper hard bastard.
Ant Reynolds

Postby Ant Reynolds » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:03 am

sam vimes wrote:
page 350 first paragraph from the bottom, it took a few read throughs for me to realise it was thier

Thanks Sam, got it, and fixed for the Omnibus. Much appreciated!
Ant Reynolds

Postby Ant Reynolds » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:20 am

sam vimes wrote: a question regarding the warmonger, did he used to be sol tolgron, as given his flash backs in the word bearears books, and a few bits in the collected visions books I both do and dont hope its him.

He may be, he may not be - I wouldn't want to restrict whoever writes about him in the HH by saying either way, to be honest.

sam vimes wrote:well read the novellas and you continue, to blow my mind the fey were excellently, portrayed very very well, not as tree hugging hippies and the depiction of bretonia talk about contrasts!

Thanks man, glad you liked them! I had a lot of fun writing those stories. They are also me default stories to recommend to people that don't know anything about Warhammer or 40K but want to read something of mine (like family and friends). A bit less intimidating that the Word Bearer books.

sam vimes wrote:Re-read dark apostle for the 8th? 9th time? And enjoyed just as much as I did the first time, probalay chiefly for how the propchey unfolds, so given how you excel at portray darker characters, will we ever be seeing a short, novella or novel about a chaos maruarder in the chaos wastes, or better yet the chaos dwarfs as damn I really want to see more on the dark stunties, right muttering over and oh yes never thanked you for answering my question about the necrons and the warp on your blog a good while back, thank you.

Wow, you probably know the book better than I do! Love it. Not really thought about what I'd write next for Warhammer (been rather busy with a - gasp - full time job the last year or so). Possibly not Chaos, though - I kinda get my fix of that in 40K.
Ant Reynolds

Postby Ant Reynolds » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:22 am

Rex Imperator wrote:Hi Anthony,

Quick question about Scions of the Storm,.

Were the artificials on Forty Seven-Sixteen something created by the inhabitants of that world or were they based on an STC?

Thanks!

I always imagined they were something created by the inhabitants - technology adapted to the environment of their world.
Ant Reynolds

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:35 am

Good to see your still around Anthony.

I mainly want to ask what are you currently working on? Its been a while since we've seen or heard anything from you, are you working on any new novels and such? Or are you still in the planning stages for something?

Lord of the Night
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Ant Reynolds » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:51 pm

Yeah, I've been pretty quiet BL-wise, have had quite a lot on my plate. I've just finished another short piece for BL however (40k related, but not Word Bearers) and am in the veeeeery early stages of something larger - something that has me rather damned excited, it must be said. Way to early to speak about that, though.
Ant Reynolds

Postby Gaius Marius » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:14 am

Ant Reynolds wrote:Yeah, I've been pretty quiet BL-wise, have had quite a lot on my plate. I've just finished another short piece for BL however (40k related, but not Word Bearers) and am in the veeeeery early stages of something larger - something that has me rather damned excited, it must be said. Way to early to speak about that, though.

Its early enough to get me excited about that.
Space Cowboy, Spartan II, Specter, Reclusiarch

'I see the fear you have inside.'
Gaius Marius

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:47 pm

Ant Reynolds wrote:Yeah, I've been pretty quiet BL-wise, have had quite a lot on my plate. I've just finished another short piece for BL however (40k related, but not Word Bearers) and am in the veeeeery early stages of something larger - something that has me rather damned excited, it must be said. Way to early to speak about that, though.
What Gaius Marius said but times by roughly one-hundred.

Can't wait to see what it is, though if your still going by what you expressed interest in on your blog, I think i'm going to love it, and be revolted by it.

Lord of the Night
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby sam vimes » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:51 pm

What else have you been doing beyond BL?
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Ant Reynolds » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:55 am

Gaius Marius wrote:

Its early enough to get me excited about that.

Hurrah! Something else has slipped in before the aforementioned longer project - a longish short story that should be done by Christmas (and is decidedly Word Bearers shaped).
Ant Reynolds

Postby Ant Reynolds » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:56 am

Lord of the Night wrote:Can't wait to see what it is, though if your still going by what you expressed interest in on your blog, I think i'm going to love it, and be revolted by it.

Lord of the Night

Hmm, you might be onto something there...
Ant Reynolds

Postby Ant Reynolds » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:58 am

sam vimes wrote:What else have you been doing beyond BL?

Working as an editor, of all things. While the soaring Oz dollar is good for many, it doesn't really help when your publisher is English!
Last edited by Ant Reynolds on Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ant Reynolds

Postby Vivia » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:50 am

Well, I think I'll have to read the Knights of Brettonia omni now. :)

Are all the upcoming stories set in 40k? No WH in sight? As Sam Vimes said, you know how to write dark characters and I would love to read about them in the WH realm.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:34 pm

Ant Reynolds wrote:
Lord of the Night wrote:Can't wait to see what it is, though if your still going by what you expressed interest in on your blog, I think i'm going to love it, and be revolted by it.

Lord of the Night

Hmm, you might be onto something there...

Oh ho ho ho ho ho! Very nice, I hope I am onto something there.

Also I finished reading Torment a bit ago, and I must say you are a cruel man Anthony.

Spoiler: Emtombing Burias? That is a very nice conclusion to the trilogy, and a harsh one for poor Burias. Hopefully he'll be able to break those chains one day and wipe that smirk from Marduk's face.

What made you decide to entomb Burias like that? And is Drak'shal still within him? I ask because a Possessed Dreadnought would be the next level of awesomeness.

Lord of the Night
Lord of the Night

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:49 pm

Did I read that right?

Spoiler: There is the possibility of a Possessed Dreadnought?

Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Vivia » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:24 pm

And for some that's the most horrific fate imaginable. Looking forward to read the shorty. I couldn't resist to read a tiny bit of spoiler. :P
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Ant Reynolds » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:57 pm

Vivia wrote:Well, I think I'll have to read the Knights of Brettonia omni now. :)

Are all the upcoming stories set in 40k? No WH in sight? As Sam Vimes said, you know how to write dark characters and I would love to read about them in the WH realm.

Cheers! There are certainly some rather unpleasant characters and antagonists in the Bretonnian books - they were fun to write. No current plans for more WH stuff right at the moment, I'm going through a bit of a 40K phase...
Ant Reynolds

Postby Ant Reynolds » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:01 am

Lord of the Night wrote:Oh ho ho ho ho ho! Very nice, I hope I am onto something there.

Also I finished reading Torment a bit ago, and I must say you are a cruel man Anthony.

I aim to please.
Ant Reynolds

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors