Ask... CHRIS WRAIGHT

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: Ask... CHRIS WRAIGHT

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:05 pm

Talking of Dragonmage, it's part of the storm of magic set. Storm of Magic on the tabletop representing something of a mass escalation in just what magic does in the Warhammer World, which makes sense wargame wise as an analogue for 40ks apocolypse for hobbyists and what not but does that tone inform the story at all and does this escalation seep into the general take of the Warhammer World (the setting being somewhat maleable with the developments from the design studio)?
schaferwhat‽

Postby Xisor » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:16 pm

Hello Chris,

I'm still intermittently having flashbacks to Battle of the Fang, it stands excellently as a damn memorable novel. Nevertheless, I'm about to start on Iron Company (then through the summer hopefully the Swords of pair), I wonder: what've you got planned/hoped for after Luthor Huss? (and a side question on that: how's it coming along?)

Cheers,
Xisor
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Chris Wraight » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:15 pm

schaferwhat‽ wrote:Talking of Dragonmage, it's part of the storm of magic set. Does that tone inform the story at all and does this escalation seep into the general take of the Warhammer World?

The idea with Storm of Magic is that the Warhammer world gets temporarily ramped up to 11 and lots of strange things happen. So, yes, the stories do have things in them that a standard Warhammer story might not, but only in terms of things like scale (*huge* monsters) and intensity. It's still Warhammer, though, and none of the fundamentals change.
Chris Wraight

Postby Chris Wraight » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:20 pm

Xisor wrote:What've you got planned/hoped for after Luthor Huss? (and a side question on that: how's it coming along?)

Thanks for the kind comments :) After Huss is finished, I hope to be writing about the Iron Hands. After that, I don't really know. Huss is going well I think, though there's a long way still to go.
Chris Wraight

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:27 pm

Chris Wraight wrote: After that, I don't really know.

Vengence. Facial Hair. War. Legends. Time.

Sorry if that sounds like a demand, that'd be because it is one.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Chris Wraight » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:43 pm

schaferwhat‽ wrote:Vengence. Facial Hair. War. Legends. Time.

The War of Legends? The Time of the Beard? Hair of Vengeance?

Sorry, you've lost me.
Chris Wraight

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:40 pm

Chris Wraight wrote:
schaferwhat‽ wrote:Vengence. Facial Hair. War. Legends. Time.

The War of Legends? The Time of the Beard? Hair of Vengeance?

Sorry, you've lost me.

Well when you've caught up you can thank me for helping you come up with three titles for the series.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Gaius Marius » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:30 am

I just finished Battle for the Fang the other day and have to say you might have ruined 40K for me by dangling the vision

Spoiler: of a hundred chapters of Vlka Fenryka descendents hauling around the galaxy kicking heretic/xenos ass

in front of me and then snatching it away. How am I going to put up with regular 40K now I ask you? How? :lol: ;)
Space Cowboy, Spartan II, Specter, Reclusiarch

'I see the fear you have inside.'
Gaius Marius

Postby Xisor » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:21 pm

Awesome, I do enjoy a bit of Iron Hands fun (I'm RPing one with the Bolthole's group at the moment. His 'hatred' is 'tolerance', which I thought was appropriate). Do you know much about the background details of what you'll write yet, or is it still quite a way off?
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:05 pm

With regards to your short story Runes in Victories of the Space Marines, I am at a loss as to what the purpose of the story was. Was it to show that Ravenblade's rune stones were useless whereas the Warlock's rune-glyph worked? Or something like that? I enjoyed the story, even though I didn't get that you had two separate timelines going on until the very end.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby revelation » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:07 am

Hello Mr. Wraight

I just wanted to compliment you on Battle of the Fang. I really enjoyed it and to be honest I wasn't really sure what to expect going into it, considering I had never read any of your other novels, being a 30k/40k fan as opposed to Warhammer Fantasy.

I had finished Prospero Burns (imo a masterpiece) not too long ago and Dan Abnett's depiction of the Space Wolves really nailed it for me. I wasn't expecting a rote copy of Dan Abnett's depiction of the Wolves of course and having read reviews already, I knew you were looking to bridge the gap between Abnett's depiction and the more "Codex" depiction many were already familiar with.

The above sounded like a tall order though. How does an author blend two different visions, essentially making a comprimise, and yet still come through with a convincing depiction?

I was afraid I'd be reading something watered down, "dumbed" down, or compromised feeling, but my fears were quickly pushed aside. Your prose is visceral, yet at times subtle. It's grabs you in a straight forward way, yet doesn't pander. It manages to challenge the reader without being unnecessarily abstract. I really enjoyed some of the nuanced ideas you explored, for example Jarl Greyloc's struggle with the Legion/Chapter's stagnancy and the philosophical gap between himself, Wyrmblade, etc. and the more entrenched traditional elements of the Space Wolves. I also enjoyed the perspective you offered on the Thousand Sons. You captured the tragedy of the legion perfectly in the character of Temekh, who seems to be fully aware of the regrettable nature of the whole affair, yet resigns himself to his fate.

Battle of the Fang was by far one of the best 30k/40k novels I've read. I've always felt that Dan Abnett, Aaron Dembski-Bowden, and Graham McNeill were the three most talented Black Library authors and I always look forward to anything they write. They craft not only entertaining 30k/40k novels but also produce quality literature that many times sets new standards for what is already great source material. After reading Battle of the Fang I felt I had no choice but to add you to my above list of favorite BL authors. I look forward to your next 30k/40k offering.
revelation

Postby Chris Wraight » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:51 am

@revelation:

Belatedly, thanks very much for these comments. I'm glad you enjoyed the book, and I appreciate you posting your thoughts. I agree about Prospero Burns, too :)
Chris Wraight

Postby Chris Wraight » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:59 am

shadowhawk2008 wrote:With regards to your short story Runes in Victories of the Space Marines, I am at a loss as to what the purpose of the story was.

Not really sure how to answer this, though I think you may be looking for more of a 'point' than was there - it was intended as a fairly straightforward adventure story, albeit set across two timelines. Ravenblade's runes work well enough (they only stop foreseeing the future when there's no more future to tell), as do the Farseer's, and the title refers to both.
Chris Wraight

Postby Chris Wraight » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:11 pm

Gaius Marius wrote:I just finished Battle for the Fang the other day and have to say you might have ruined 40K for me

And that is, of course, what every self-respecting BL author sets out to do. :twisted:
Chris Wraight

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:56 pm

Chris Wraight wrote:Not really sure how to answer this, though I think you may be looking for more of a 'point' than was there - it was intended as a fairly straightforward adventure story, albeit set across two timelines. Ravenblade's runes work well enough (they only stop foreseeing the future when there's no more future to tell), as do the Farseer's, and the title refers to both.

Fair enough :) And I hadn't considered that the runes stopped foreseeing the future because of the reason you mentioned. Cool stuff. And I was totally considering the story to be from the (main) viewpoint of Ravenblade only, and not the Farseer.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:58 pm

Looking at the upcoming BL release calendar, I see you have Wraith of Iron up there. Can you tell us some more about this? Is it your promised Iron Hands novel?

shadowhawk2008

Postby Xisor » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:58 pm

Thinking on Battle of the Fang (and after dissertation-ruining time spent yammering over on Warseer), I'm drawn to the idea of The Second Battle of the Fang, or rather: that involving Cardinal Bucharis in the aftermath era of the Age of Apostasy. Would you have any desire to revisit the Asaheim in such a way, albeit from a different angle?

As you'd noted, Battle of the Fang was a very focussed novel, not delving into the wider Imperium itself. The second battle, though, is almost inherently intertwined with the wider Imperium, it'd be interesting (in my mind, at least) to see such an exploration 'forced' onto the Wolves by the Imperium beginning to directly interfere with them.

Also, how's Huss coming along?
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:35 pm

Hey Chris,

A few questions about Luthor Huss and Wrath of Iron for you.

1. With another Warhammer Heroes novel coming out, your reputation as King of Heroes is being held nicely, what made you choose Luthor Huss to write about, as a Sigmatire hero, over others like Volkmar or Magnus the Pious?

2. Will we see Valten in the novel? Or anything about Huss's quest to find the boy (reincarnation of Sigmar)?

3. Can you tell us what Luthor will be going up against? Chaos? Beastmen? Skaven perhaps? (Please let it be the latter, need more Skaven!)

4. (This is a more personal question about WFH in general.) Would you ever consider writing a Balthasar Gelt novel? (He's the one Empire Hero I like.)

Assuming that Wrath of Iron is the Iron Hands novel, since its classed as a 40k novel on Black Library, i'll ask my questions based on that. And the pricing marks it as a SMB novel.

4. The Iron Hands have a much different system to other Chapters, having a council-based leadership, having clans as companies and taking an active role in their homeworld's society and, in their case, the economy. How will you use this for your novel?

5. Will you have any Iron Fathers in the novel? Chaplains are the best of the Space Marines, in every chapter across the galaxy its the Chaplains who are the biggest badasses, Black Templars Grimaldus (Survived an Ork WAAAGH! and being crushed by a building), Salamanders Elysius and Xavier (Former survived being captive by Dark Eldar, and latter died exterminating a DE force), Ultramarines Cassius (Fought the Tyranids in First Tyrannic War, survived all his wounds). Need I go on? The Iron Hands need a badass Iron Father like these guys.

(Plus there's this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgeVH5wOS7Q)

6. The Iron Hands maintain a worship of the Omnissiah rather than the Emperor, does this affecting writing them over other Space Marine chapters? And will their closer relationship with the Mechanicus come into play?

7. I can't think or remember a prominent Iron Hands battle in the Codex or the Rule book. Will you be making up your own battle for the novel? Or have you found something that i've missed or forgotten?

That's all i've got. Thanks in advance for what you can answer.

Lord of the Night
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:55 pm

Hi Chris,

Just finished reading Dragonmage - thoroughly enjoyed it. I was already looking forward to reading Battle of the Fang soon, now more so. Specifically I liked how you portrayed the Dragons and what you did with them; it was exactly the same as my own take on Dragons, and made me want to know - any plans/ambitions to write more dragon-involving books?
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:34 pm

Thanks for taking the time today for the cafe chats. Fun stuff. Really love how you are going to be exploring the Iron Hands in a fair bit of depth for your next 40k novel.

Its nice to see so much thought going into the novels these days!

'The Flesh is Weak!'

shadowhawk2008

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors