Ask... CHRIS WRAIGHT

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Ask... CHRIS WRAIGHT

Postby Pyroriffic » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:32 pm

Address all questions to CHRIS WRAIGHT in this thread.

PLEASE AVOID ANSWERING A QUESTION UNLESS THE AUTHOR HAS HAD A CHANCE TO DO IT FIRST!!

Also, please note these are not general discussion threads. The clue's in the name.

Thanks.

Chris Wraight's official Black Library page can be found here.

The original Ask Chris thread can be found at the archive site, here.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Re: Ask... CHRIS WRAIGHT

Postby Pyroriffic » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:13 am

Last question bumped from the Old Bolthole.

From Increaso

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I have posted a review (well an attempt at one) http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=83938. I have, in hindsight, missed out a few bits and pieces like the necessarily cyclic nature of the succession story, the phenomenal death count (for a WHF novel) and, although I had an inkling about which characters would die, that I was surprised by the

Spoiler: death of Rufus

Anyway, I'll leave it at that for now.

Hopefully, as you suggest, we can at least have a quick chat at BLL (subject to how worn down you look from repeated Battle of the Fang questions!)
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby Chris Wraight » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:03 pm

Increaso,

Thanks for the cool review (linked from my blog), and very nice to chat at BL Live. Hope I didn't look too worn down!

Cheers,
Chris
Chris Wraight

Postby Cypher6 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:01 pm

Dear Mr Chris,

Thankyou so much for 'Rebirth', I just finished it this evening and I was quite simply; amazed.
I loved the way you told the story - with retrospect and the 'current' interrogation - it worked really well.

Many thanks,

Cyph :D
'Interesting times'
Cypher6

Postby Chris Wraight » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:59 am

Cypher6 wrote:Thankyou so much for 'Rebirth', I just finished it this evening and I was quite simply; amazed.
I loved the way you told the story - with retrospect and the 'current' interrogation - it worked really well.

Thanks a lot! I enjoyed writing it very much, so I'm glad it seems to be going down well.

Cheers,
Chris
Chris Wraight

Postby Dorian » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:46 pm

I'm about 180 pages into Battle of the Fang. And man, I love it. There's a big smile on my face that just won't leave.

Thank you very much, Mr. Wraight.

Once I'm through with it I'll have some questions but for now I just wanted to say that it's a fantastic read.
Wyrd bið ful aræd.

We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things.

If the world is at peace then it means someone is planning war.
Dorian

Postby Chris Wraight » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:52 am

Good to hear, Dorian :) When you've got to the end, I'll do my best to answer those questions...
Chris Wraight

Postby Rob P » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:50 pm

Dear Mr Wraight

Just finished Battle of the Fang and, all things being well, will post a review on Heresy soon.

My thoughts relate to spoilers!

Spoiler: Ironhelm confronts 'Oldman Magnus' on Gangava toward the 2nd half of the novel and he is given a choice. To me the choice seemed like a genuine offer. Now, I read this in conjunction with Magnus's, seemingly malice-lacking, plan to halt the Tempering experiments and I have a few thoughts.

I am firstly wondering whether Magnus was preventing the possbility of Space Wolf successor chapters, because it would end in some horrible future (not just the containment of Eye of Terror forces, but something much worse for the galaxy as a whole). Imagine swarms of unstoppable, unrelenting warriors in power armour.

In conjunction with this, whether Ironhelm was given the choice he was, because if he had chosen not to attack, he may have revealed that the Wolves can show restraint and this would have been a contraindication towards the future that Magnus had foreseen? Or am I over analysing/looking at it from the wrong angle?

Thanks in advance

edit: review
Rob P

Postby Chris Wraight » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:00 pm

Rob,

I'd like to leave room for speculation in Magnus's motives. Some things to bear in mind, though:

Spoiler: Magnus takes 'the rules' very seriously. Chaos is a very strange thing - at once capricious and all-powerful, as well as being bound by some rather arbitrary-looking (from the 'outside') parameters: think of daemon names, banishment for 100 years, etc. On many occasions, the power of Chaos to intervene in the mortal galaxy relies on a human making an explicit decision, such as Magnus's own choices in A Thousand Sons. In principle, I think it's much more interesting to have the Chaotic powers working through and with mortals, corrupting them in subtle ways and leaving them ways out, rather than just RAWRing and burning stuff.

So you should take it that the choice was a genuine one - M wasn't just taunting Ironhelm. But, with the machinations of Tzeentch at play and with Magnus's slightly ambivalent attitude to the power of the Warp, who can say what would have happened if Ironhelm had somehow summoned up the strength of character to stay his hand?

Chris Wraight

Postby Rob P » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:47 pm

Thank you for the reply.

If I didn't have a distracting pile of new books, I would read it through again to get a better grasp on things. I'll pen that in my diary sometime later in the year!

However, I would like to add:

Spoiler: I really loved the Bjorn stuff. For a shrivelled up fetus-thing in a big metal shell he oozed character. I really felt for him and the 'son left behind' analogy to Emperor/Horus was really emotive. I also found (unintended?) humour in the idea of him being recovered, wedged in the side of a mountain.

And, although I know Mr Abnett started some of these things, I really like 'murder-make', 'kill-urge', 'wyrd', 'thread-cut' and the other Vlka Febryka phrases that crop up throughout the novel. I like how they don't need explanation, but are nonetheless emotive and just plain cool.

Thanks again

Rob
Rob P

Postby Lord of the Night » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:41 am

Ser Wraight,

Your next Warhammer Heroes novel, according to Corrigan Phoenix, is about Luthor Huss, the wandering priest. Can you tell us anything about this? One thing i'm curious about is how he will get a place in the lore since the Storm of Chaos has been mostly redacted.

Lord of the Night
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Xisor » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:56 pm

Mr Wraight, sir!

Again, a pleasure meeting and chatting at BLL!, finally finished off Battle of the Fang and I have to say what a gloriously meat-filled book. Not only an excellent story with a wide, varied and compelling cast, but filled with sensible motivations, plot-advances and lore-nuggets too. Splendidly (and, I think, affectionately) written.

But anyway, enough ego-massaging!

Spoiler: You made it pretty clear that some of the Thousand Sons (and Magnus) knew (or think they know) what Leman Russ' fate is. (I cite: "He [Russ] cannot help them any more, as well you know," or something similar.) I wondered: do you intend this to be a 'known unknown' within the setting, e.g. it'll always be hinted at (like the Lost Legions), but we can never get something concrete on it? Also, even if that's the case, do you have your own belief as to what Russ' fate was/is?

(Myself, I pieced togther a madcap conspiracy wherein the Old Ones of 40k flee reality and end up stranded in Fantasy because of something the Necrons did [e.g. building the Cadian Pylons over the Old One's Cape Canaveral mid-lift-off]. Leman Russ, in the Eye of Terror, somehow stumbles onto this path/exit-route and is transplanted haphazardly into a different universe. As Ulric.[/idiotic conspiracy] But that's beside the point.

A second question I'd ask: much more in the way of plans for taking Temehk elsewhere, even as a 'plot point' for an only tangentially related story?

And that's my gist for BotF. Now for an Age of Darkness/BotF side-query.

Spoiler: As I presume you picked up from the AoD-vibes, there are aspersions being cast left, right and centre about a 'third faction' in the Horus Heresy: the Ultramarines and chums. There's obviously the big Alpha Legion/White Scars/Space Wolves story to be told in the Heresy, as well as the Space Wolves/Dark Angels encounters and the Dark Angels/Ultras stories towards the end of the Heresy: have you given much thought to possible interplays there?

Given the significance of the Tempering, do you think it would be something that Bjorn would've encountered as an idea during the Heresy and thus Russ might've vetoed it back then (hence accounting for why it was only Wyrdblade that was able to push the idea) and there be room for, at very least, a discussion of such a thing during the Heresy-era? Alternatively, I suppose, it would probably come up as a tangential/incidental issue only implied rather than pushed through as the central point of a story.

Anyway, with all that in mind: what's on your plate at the moment? We know of Luthor Huss and War of Vengeance/the Beard, but how soon will you be beginning work on that sort of thing? Any other projects eating your time too?

And, as a final note, cheers for actually writing Battle of the Fang as well and as passionately as you've done. A really tremendous book.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:45 pm

Xisor wrote:Anyway, with all that in mind: what's on your plate at the moment? We know of Luthor Huss and War of Vengeance/the Beard, but how soon will you be beginning work on that sort of thing? Any other projects eating your time too?

And, as a final note, cheers for actually writing Battle of the Fang as well and as passionately as you've done. A really tremendous book.
You're writing the War of the Beard?! I didn't know that! Awesome.

You have chosen some good stuff to write about Ser Wraight. Perhaps you'll be the next member of Team Horus Heresy.

Lord of the Night
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Xisor » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:56 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:You're writing the War of the Beard?! I didn't know that! Awesome.

Not me, myself, no. :P Chris is doing so alongside Nick Kyme, actually. It was (surprisingly) 'revealed' at the ToL seminar at BLL!.
Last edited by Xisor on Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:10 pm

Xisor wrote:
Lord of the Night wrote:You're writing the War of the Beard?! I didn't know that! Awesome.

Note me, myself, no. :P Chris is doing so alongside Nick Kyme, actually. It was (surprisingly) 'revealed' at the ToL seminar at BLL!.
That was actually directed at Ser Wraight, not you Ser Xisor. Bet you'd like to write it though :lol:.

Lord of the Night
Lord of the Night

Postby Chris Wraight » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:51 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:Your next Warhammer Heroes novel, according to Corrigan Phoenix, is about Luthor Huss, the wandering priest. Can you tell us anything about this? One thing i'm curious about is how he will get a place in the lore since the Storm of Chaos has been mostly redacted.

Yup, it'll be about Huss. It's in the same series as the 'Sword of...' books, but this one's a standalone story. Even more so than those books, I'm planning a real character study for LH: what makes him tick, what made him the way he is, what his role in the Empire is. I also want to delve into the nature of faith, which is something I've been wanting to do for a long time.

Apart from that, I'm going to have to keep quiet. And, as I haven't actually started writing it yet, not all the decisions have yet been made...
Chris Wraight

Postby Chris Wraight » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:05 pm

Thanks for the kind comments, Xisor :)

Some responses:

Spoiler: Ah, now you don't really expect me to answer those questions about Russ, do you?

Re the Tempering, although your ideas over its origins would certainly make sense, that's not quite how I saw it. The idea is this: The Space Wolves only really felt the need to reform themselves in a post-Heresy galaxy. Before then, their role (and their unique genetic traits) made a lot of sense. They were bred, following Dan's conception of them, to act as 'guard dogs' for the integrity of the Legions. After the Legions were dissolved and power in the Imperium passed to the High Lords and those Space Marine Legions capable of seeding hundreds of Chapters, the SWs were in an invidious position. Being the Emperor's 'executioners' (whatever exactly that means) makes no sense if you're one Chapter among a thousand. So they needed to think about what they were for in the Age of the Imperium. Hence Wyrmblade's tampering, which was an attempt to drag them into the mainstream. If it had worked, the SWs might have become much more powerful and numerous than they are in the 40K 'present'. They would also have become far less interesting, so we can all be glad he failed :)

I'd love to revisit Temekh in the future, though there are no plans to do this currently.

Chris Wraight

Postby Narmo Eressea » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:56 pm

Hi Mr Wraight.

Against who do the Thousand Sons fight in Rebirth?

Will we see how magnus fell to Chaos in the Horus Heresy? In the Thousand Sons book, he and Ahriman even after the attack seemed quite decent guys. Magnus even accepted death instead of facing his father´s doggies.

How could the mongrels resist the power of the Thousand Sons in the Horus Heresy or in The fang? I am eager to see your book and Age of darkness released here in Spain.

Well, thanks for the answers in advance. I am biting my nails anxiously awaiting to read Rebirth. I have always liked the Space Wolves or the Ultramarines, but after A Thousand Sons... just wow.
Narmo Eressea

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Eh... doesnt ATS show Magnus fell to Chaos? And they might seem like decent guys after they turn but they are still a traitor legion.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Chris Wraight » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:45 pm

Narmo Eressea wrote:Against who do the Thousand Sons fight in Rebirth?

I'm afraid you'll have to read it to find out :)

Narmo Eressea wrote:Will we see how magnus fell to Chaos in the Horus Heresy? In the Thousand Sons book, he and Ahriman even after the attack seemed quite decent guys. Magnus even accepted death instead of facing his father´s doggies.

The path taken by the Thousand Sons after Prospero is still largely uncharted, as far as I know. I spoke to Graham McNeill a while ago about his ideas on the subject, but you'd have to ask one of the Heresy authors to get the definitive verdict. In Battle of the Fang there's quite a bit of material about the Thousand Sons in a post-Heresy galaxy, but I left a lot of stuff vague, precisely because I didn't want to conflict with anything that might be written about them in future Heresy books.

Narmo Eressea wrote:How could the mongrels resist the power of the Thousand Sons in the Horus Heresy or in The fang?

No subestime los Lobos Espaciales! Ellos tienen muchas defensas contra la brujería.
Chris Wraight

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors