Ask...ANDY CHAMBERS

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Ask...ANDY CHAMBERS

Postby Xisor » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:24 pm

Address all questions to ANDY CHAMBERS in this thread.

PLEASE AVOID ANSWERING A QUESTION UNLESS THE AUTHOR HAS HAD A CHANCE TO DO IT FIRST!

Also, please note these are not general discussion threads. The clue's in the name.

Thanks.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Re: Ask...ANDY CHAMBERS

Postby Xisor » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Dear Andy,

Hooray that you're writing 40k again. Deus Ex Mechanicus has been, for me, a clear classic since it came out (in 'Words of Blood', I think?), and I'm pleased to see things progressing well since with the Dark Eldar. I'll shortly be starting Path of the Renegade and eagerly look forward to it.

Just last night, however, I read 'The Arkunasha War', a story I'd had no idea existed 'til I stumbled on it flicking through my first year worth of H&B. To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement of some magnitude.

Anyway, it seems pretty clear in tone that the Aun involved have 'ulterior motives': have you a clear idea, for yourself at least, of what they are? (Or indeed if the ulterior motive is actually existent - I could happily believe that the Aun are just weird, unneccessarily sinister/contrary beings who're doing exactly what they say they are...merely in mysterious & vexing ways.)

Also, the story of Shas'o Kais Mont'yr & his development is something compelling on its own: have you given much thought to...further such stories?

Cheers in any case,
Xisor
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:45 pm

Oh has Andy Chambers joined us? Grand.

My questions are of course about all things Dark Eldar. :twisted:

Spoiler: 1. Nyos Yllithian looked like he was about to die in the end of Path of the Renegade. Did he make it, or did the glass plague get him?

Spoiler: 2. Will Morr return in Path of the Incubus? I'd like to learn more about him, and the things he's seen in his long life.

Spoiler: 3. Is there any chance of seeing Drazhar in Path of the Incubus? If you can add him you will have written about my favourite character of my favourite group of my favourite race. I may just start worshipping you. :)

Spoiler: 4. What are the plans for the third Dark Eldar novel? I thought originally the series would be Path of the Renegade, Path of the Wych and Path of the Haemonculi. But the Inucbi put a wrench in that. Is there a chance that the third novel could be about the dregs of Commorragh and the outcasts like the Mandrakes or Duke Sliscus and his Sky Serpents?... in fact if Sliscus appears in your novels then it would make them automatically awesome. The Duke is that cool that he makes anything he's involved in cool.

Spoiler: 5. Is the True Death rare in Commorragh? I know that warriors and raiders fall in battle often but do they actually die? Or are they just sent to the Haemonculi labs for regeneration?

Thanks in advance for what you can tell me.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Blinded » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:15 am

Yo!

Less than five minutes ago I reached chapter 15 of your wonderful work "Path Of The Renegade".

Spoiler: In chapter 14 followers of the Laughing God acted just they way I perceived they would after reading Codex Dark Eldar, which was kind of fun

In the beginning of chapter 15 there was a speech by Vect thatreminded me of an ancient tabled by Asurbanipal (or was it Nebuchadnezzar ?) on how they punished their enemies. Now my question is why that?

Edit: Finished and ending was delightfully surprising. Where this story stands in whole W40K, and more importantly in relation to "Paths of the Eldar" series. I won't ask for fate of those who ran away though as I expect to see them in the future works.
Worm and W40K are both dieing worlds, but while Worm is barely managing to avoid getting swallowed up, 40K is trying to stab Death in the eye with a chainsaw. - .IronSun.
Blinded

Postby narrativium » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:25 pm

Apologies: I should have addressed this two weeks ago.

The 'Ask the Authors' board was set up to allow fans to ask questions of their favourite authors, but it was set up with the consent and participation of those authors. It hardly seems fair on all concerned to create a thread for an author and have fans pile up their questions if the author doesn't participate on the Bolthole, and Andy Chambers has yet to join (at least, to my knowledge). By the same token, I'm not entirely sure it's welcoming if Mr. Chambers does stumble upon our site and discovers he's got a backlog to address already.

I hope to meet him at Black Library Live! next week, at which point I may even get to ask him if he's aware of us here, and whether he'd like to join up. But unless he expresses an interest, it seems counter-productive to leave this thread open.

I will leave it open for now, but if Mr. Chambers isn't interested, this thread may be locked by next week.
narrativium

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:04 am

Favourite orders????
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Andy C » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:47 am

Hi folks, sorry I'm late to the party - I just heard about it courtesy of meeting some of you at Black Library Live this weekend. Thank you for kind compliments on my humble offerings, I'll try and catch up here:

Xisor:
I always wanted to do more with Commander Farsight so when Nick Kyme asked me for a Tau story he was my go-to guy. I also always find the Aun a little sinister myself and imagine Tau society to be full of underlying tensions. If Hot Fuzz taught us anything, it'd be that the phrase 'the greater good' is not always reassuring.

Lotn:

Spoiler: If you haven't seen a body they're halfway to Acapulco by now.

Spoiler: Yes, lots more Morr in Path of the Incubus.

Spoiler: That way lies disappointment but yes, couldn't resist.

Spoiler: Provisionally it's set to be Path of the Archon, don't know how it's going to be yet but my first pitch included both of those things weirdly enough.

Spoiler: In effect True Death is a disease of the powerless, if you've got enough leverage anything short of complete physical destruction can be fixed.

Blinded:
Brilliant spot, that is exactly the source of that quote, it's out of George Roux's Ancient Iraq - I think its Ashurbanipal II? I used it because when I first read the original it put a real chill down my spine - the studied use of cruelty, torture and terror to establish control followed by proclaiming it in stone for future generations to understand sounded just like something Vect would do. Thinking about it I've actually used that self-same quote in other places too, I think it summarises 'evil' to me.
Andy C

Postby Blinded » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:36 pm

One could say that the Tablet of Vect is more than just one message: First and the most obvious is the vengeance of Vect upon his enemies. Second is the style he tells those words with, an ancient style, older than all lords and nobles of the eternal city or even the fallen empire of eldar, thus mocking the high houses of nobility, and thirdly I can't see a clearer subtle claim of godhood.
Worm and W40K are both dieing worlds, but while Worm is barely managing to avoid getting swallowed up, 40K is trying to stab Death in the eye with a chainsaw. - .IronSun.
Blinded

Postby Xisor » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:36 pm

Andy,

Many thanks for your response here. :) 'Twas a fine pleasure to meet you at BLL, I do hope your various projects are coming along well!

Shamefully, I've only just finished Path of the Renegade today (though I'd note that I raced through the second half of it at a faster rate than even all of the other books/loot I hauled in from BLL)... but I'm happy to report that the second half of it held up to inspection very well indeed.

As I delved further into the book, a good few things caught my eye (or rather, caught my mind's eye). The first and foremost of them was:

Spoiler: The Iron Thorn eldar. A beautiful & eerie glimpse at machine eldar. It's difficult not to think "was this what the Necrons went through...?", combining awfully with my thoughts on the Ilmaea/Sun Cults being potentially C'tan-ish lines of adventure for the pre-Fall Eldar. That's not really a question, but it did appeal to my conspiratorial mind - trying to link together disparate and distantly scattered bits of the lore. Any hope for further exploration of the role of pre-Fall/War in Heaven truths/lies in the rest of the series?

Morr certainly gave the impression that it could be quite relevant - both with his "I am older than you know" and "Ahrha remembers" lines. I, for one, would be improperly excited should it be explored.

That line of thinking leads me on to another thought, this time regarding Mandrakes.

Spoiler: Though you managed to pretty much mention almost everyone and everything to a pleasing degree, there were still a few significant folks & things 'missing' - LotN has already caught Drazhar, the Mandrakes & the Duke, I wondered about the likely nature of the Mandrakes (and more pointedly: Khedurak the Decapitator). O'course, we see a little of them in Midnight on the Street of Knives, but I'd be quitehappy to see more of them.

Now, it could be perhaps delving a little too deep into the background for sensible/straight answers, but a thought struck me: if the Incubi and much of the Dark City's society generally are the Khaine-ish factions, with the Harlequins representing Cegorach, the Craftworlders carrying a leftover torch for Asuryan & Vaul (but more prominently Khaine when push comes to shove), the Exodites variously championing Isha, Kurnous and Lileath - what role (if any) is left for the other more outré factions?

To put it another way: do the Mandrakes (and the Decaptitator) have anything to do with Ynnead (and bringing into being the 'god of the dead')?

I realise this is highly likely to be going very far 'off the deep end', but it's an amusing line of thinking. Do feel free to correct me in the right direction; piecing (or at least trying to piece) together disparate aspects of the in-universe metaphysics is something of a hobby for me, perhaps to the dismay of everyone who reads my thoughts on it!

And, finally, though it's not so much a question as a more specific wee 'thanks': Motley was a sheer delight to read, being very noticeable amidst a big host of memorable characters, scenes, set-pieces and stories. So much has he imprinted himself, I'm quite intending to make my fourteenth Harlequin (one for each/most of the 'gods' in the pantheon, plus one as the C'tan/Necrons, and one Solitaire-as-Slaanesh) a nice grey/black-and-white mime in the style of Mr/Mrs Motley.

In any case, to round out the PotR comments: cheers. It's a delightful book; well done!

---

In Other News

I'd a few questions stemming from your role in Battlefleet Gothic, or more particularly - whether there's a few stories there you'd ever be induced to tell? The role of the Corsairs and other factions in the Gothic War always seemed mighty intriguing, I'd certainly be keen to see more in that regard. Similarly, the seam of colour text and the overview for the war itself, the ships and many of the characters remains largely untapped (despite Gordon Rennie's excellent duology), in my eyes.

Stories along the lines of Compel Bast & the Imperious' defence of Orar have long remained fixed in my mind, despite the fairly scant detail of them. Would you ever consider returning to exploring the Gothic War, or other aspects of the navy once/if your Eldar tales are told?

(Though [further] exploration from the Eldar side about the nature of the Blackstone Fortresses would certainly have plenty of appeal, in my eyes.)

Thanks again for your time!

Cheers,
Xisor
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Andy C » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:37 pm

Glad you enjoyed PotR, most of my responses to your questions are liable to be spoilerific so let the tagging begin:

Spoiler: The Dark Eldar Codex really intrigued me with the idea of sub-realms and how different they could all be. I picked up on the mention of Iron thorn and just ran with it so I suspect the crossover with C'tan and Necrons is more coincidental than anything, but you're right that it throws up interesting parallels. The Solar cults are definitely interesting and something I'd like to explore in the future. To a large extent I feel like the series is already very caught up on looking at the Fall of the Eldar and its outcomes from a different perspective so I'm hesitant to promise to go wading very far into the war in heaven as well. Maybe that's a good topic for another series.

'Arhra remembers' is one of those cool lines you throw out and then spend long, sleepless nights trying work out the implication of later...

Mandrakes are cool, they are also shadowy and don't talk much so they make bad subjects to write about. That being said they keep popping up of their own accord in my stories and will likely have a larger role in Path of the Archon due to some events in Path of the Incubus.

Eldar mythos is fun to speculate with but I think you're maybe stretching a little to ascribe all the (dead) gods to the different factions so neatly. If anything I'd think the Craftworlds are the ones that represent Ynnead as they represent the bulk of the surviving eldar population and are most dedicated to collecting eldar souls to bring Ynnead into being. To the Dark Eldar the gods are a complete irrelevance, they failed, they died, end of story. The way I saw it Exodites or craftworlders (to a lesser extent) might call DEs the children of Khaine but Dark Eldar would never consider themselves in that way. So, while its tempting to say these people represent this god or that only Cegorach and Khaine really matter because She-Who-Thirsts has got the rest (or not quite all, according to scurrilous rumour). Ynnead is a potential but birthing a new god is a very fraught process as we've already seen.

Glad you liked Motley. Unlike Mandrakes Motley talks a lot so he's easy to write about, hence there's more of him/her/it in Path of the Incubus and more in other places too.

I'd love to write some BFG-style fiction at some point, certainly, though when that might come to pass I couldn't say. I seem to be getting a lot of interest in Xenos-based stories at the moment so it's more likely I'll get to write about Orks first :mrgreen: . I must say I view a lot of the really meta BFG background as more strictly speaking Gav's baby than mine so I'd be hesitant about treading on his toes.

Cheers

Andy
Andy C

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:59 pm

Hey Andy,

I have just finished Path of the Incubus and reviewed it on TFF and I must say kudos, it's a fantastic novel and definitely surpasses Renegade.

One thing I absolutely must talk about is the fight in the Shrine of Arhra,

Spoiler: Morr vs Drazhar. Now that had the potential to be a complete mess as is always the possibility when a protagonist fights against a TT character like Drazhar. You don't want the protagonist to get manhandled yet he obviously shouldn't be able to beat such a powerful character, and nor would such a powerful character be able to be defeated by a character like that. Morr is a good fighter, but he isn't Drazhar's equal, not even remotely, and yet you managed to give the fight it's logical outcome, that Arhra wins, but give Morr a fight and make it clear that despite his loss, Morr was not crushed and that Drazhar actually had to try in order to beat him. I really liked the part where you showed that Drazhar could not block Morr's heavier style but nor could Morr land a killing blow against Drazhar's mobility style.

A really great moment that is reinforced by strong writing and a healthy respect for both characters, and some impressive neutrality from the author as well.

But as always, I do have some questions about it.

Spoiler: 1. What happened to Morr? Did the dragon annihilate him or did was he absorbed into it? Or some other fate?

2. What happened to Sindiel and the captured World-Singer, whose name eludes me. Last we saw of them they were running from the Dysjunction, are they still alive?

3. Judging from events in PotI can we assume that the third novel, if it is still titled Path of the Archon, will promote Bezieth to a Main POV character and that Xelian, AKA The Mummy, will return?

4. Drazhar was awesome. No question there. That just HAD to be said. He oozed awesomeness with every little nod of his head. I also really liked that you maintained the possibility that he is Arhra-reborn.

5. Since Aelindrach will be a part of the third novel with Xagor and Bellathonis, and of course Mandrakes are a guarantee with that, is there a chance that Kheradruahk will appear? I also must say I like the sound of the Mandrake-Kings that Bellathonis mentioned, wonder how you get to be king of a race of shadow-people...

6. I get the feeling that we haven't seen the last of Kharbyr. As you said when I asked the same question about Yllithian after Renegade was released, "If you haven't seen a body they're halfway to Acapulco by now,", so I think I can safely hope that Kharbyr is fleeing towards a sandy beach to think up his revenge.

7. The last few sentences of the novel are chilling in the power behind them. Reminds me of a similar moment in the TV show Supernatural, the power of a soul. I assume Motley is speaking of Caraeis, and possibly Morr, and that not even the Dragon could actually destroy their souls?

8. With the Dysjunction over what is the threat to continue in the third novel? Or is this merely the eye of the storm?

Once again an absolutely fantastic novel Andy, loved every bit of it and I look forward to Path of the [Insert here]. Thanks in advance for what you can answer.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Andy C » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:22 pm

Hey LotN, I'm very glad you enjoyed Path of the Incubus. Overall I was less happy with it than Path of the Renegade, middle books are hard as it turns out. I'm just in the final days of writing Path of the Archon right now, so I'm well-placed to answer questions about it. ;)

As regards the fighting bits, thank you for your appreciation. In my youth I used to pretend to be a viking at weekends and do fighting displays with metal weapons (they like to call it western martial arts these days) so it's always a topic dear to my heart. Double-handed axe was always my favourite.

Spoiler stuff:

Spoiler: 1. Motley would tell you he was absorbed by the Lileathanir dragon because souls are never destroyed. Whether you believe him is down to you.

2. I struggled with making them at all relevant to the story in hand, so decided it was best if they simply moved on from Commorragh and 'and out of frame' as it were. It also means they aren't in Path of the Archon, sorry.

3. No Bezieth (for much the same reason as 2. above, no useful role to play in the story), Xelian does indeed make a comeback.

4. Thanks! Silent characters can be really tricky sometimes, but its rewarding as hell if you can make them work without words.

5. Yes, actually in the original pitch big K wasn't in the story, Phil Kelly pointed out that he should be involved once I twisted his arm into reading and commenting on the pitch.

6. Well quite, and I stand by that idiom. I was going to write a little 'death of Kharbyr' scene as short story or teaser but the little tyke wheedled his way back into the novel eventually.

7. In essence Motley is talking about them both specifically but conceptually he's inferring that the whole eldar race/all of 'the damned' are still out there in the warp, not lost or destroyed but captured or enslaved by things bigger than they are.

8. The threat for Path of the Archon is primarily the dark eldar themselves, mainly deriving from the unleashed power of Chaos as hinted at in Path of the Incubus.The Archons of Commorragh are quite prepared to destroy the ruined city in their efforts to control it.

Right, better get on with finishing PotA.
Andy C

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:18 pm

Hey Andy,

Finally the Path of the Dark Eldar series is done, I have finished Path of the Archon just now and absolutely loved it and the series as a whole. But as always there are questions that I really want to know the answers to;

Spoiler: 1. Is there any chance of some short stories to show what happened to the players in the books who didn't advance to the next book, like Sindiel and the World-Singer or Archon Bezieth?? Really it's the former two that I am very curious about, did they survive and make it to the Exodite World or did they die in the Dysjunction??

2. What happens to the Exodite World Lileathanir, will it remained ruined or will it recover from what Yllithian did to it??

3. When Yllithian gets his karmic demise Motley mentions that there are two Yllithians, does that mean that the new body Yllithian had also had a soul inside it that he was suppressing? Or does it mean something else entirely??

4. Is Motley a Solitaire??

5. Did Vect loot all the Castigator Soul-stones from dead Craftworlds with their souls in them or did he just get the stones and put Dark Eldar in them??

6. Were the Mandrakes under Xhakoruahk and Azoruahk also corrupted or were they just going along with the brothers and their mad schemes??

7. In the time period of this story has Lady Malys met the strange Webway being that changes her yet??

8. Will the Houses of Xelian, Kraillach and Yllithian continue?? Or are the Noble Houses of Commorragh all gone now??

Thanks in advance for what you can answer,

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby Andy C » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:34 pm

Hi LotN,

Thanks for your questions, I'm very happy that you enjoyed the trilogy. Answers below:

Spoiler:

Spoiler: 1. Is there any chance of some short stories to show what happened to the players in the books who didn't advance to the next book, like Sindiel and the World-Singer or Archon Bezieth?? Really it's the former two that I am very curious about, did they survive and make it to the Exodite World or did they die in the Dysjunction??

I'd love to fit that in and even have some ideas of what happened (they escaped the Dysjunction in case you're wondering). however I've been so busy with other work I've just not had any free time in my schedule. I hope to write some more ...one day.

2. What happens to the Exodite World Lileathanir, will it remained ruined or will it recover from what Yllithian did to it??

It'll most likely recover over time, albeit with some deep emotional scars and a darker aspect to it that it didn't have before. Morr's presence in the world spirit is liable to taint the whole thing with violence and vengeance.

3. When Yllithian gets his karmic demise Motley mentions that there are two Yllithians, does that mean that the new body Yllithian had also had a soul inside it that he was suppressing? Or does it mean something else entirely??

No, I believe he's referring to the younger Yllithian that Nyos Yllitihain usurped the body of to escape the glass plague. I could be wrong, though, Motley doesn't tell me everything.

4. Is Motley a Solitaire??

You should read the Masque of Vyle novella for the answer to that.

5. Did Vect loot all the Castigator Soul-stones from dead Craftworlds with their souls in them or did he just get the stones and put Dark Eldar in them??

Also answered in the Masque of Vyle.

6. Were the Mandrakes under Xhakoruahk and Azoruahk also corrupted or were they just going along with the brothers and their mad schemes??

Some yes, most no, or no rather more than they were before by Aelindrach itself to be more accurate.

7. In the time period of this story has Lady Malys met the strange Webway being that changes her yet??

Not yet, I imagine that the events of Path of the Archon precede and in some ways instigate that encounter.

8. Will the Houses of Xelian, Kraillach and Yllithian continue?? Or are the Noble Houses of Commorragh all gone now??

Yes, Xelian most certainly (I imagine Vect likes to reward treachery well to keep everyone looking over their shoulders), Kraillach and Yllithian's Houses will survive in some form albeit as shadows of their former selves. In all cases they'll become more like Kabals and less like noble houses. The survivors of Yllithian's crew (and there will be some, there always are) will be forced into low Commorragh for sure, to scrape and scheme and boil with rage for evermore.

Andy C

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors