Ask... JOSH REYNOLDS

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: Ask... JOSH REYNOLDS

Postby JReynolds » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:45 pm

Liliedhe wrote:

Spoiler: re Vampire sustenance: So, what actually is the relationship between Vampires and Chaos? They don't seem really chaostouched and even the Necromancers seem mostly unconcerned and even unknowing about the Dark Gods and things.

Which brings me to another question (owed to my naiveté concerning WHF lore): So, not all gods in WHF are chaos gods? As it has been repeatedly implied in 40K?

Spoiler: re Gotrek and Felix go dungeon delving: Now that would be a really funny idea.

Spoiler: For a given definition of happy, of course. ;) And, it would probably be the supreme irony that she wouldn't care all that much that Vorag died. If he did (I should stop reading wikis, because according to that, he shows up later again.)

Spoiler: It's murky. There's no reason vampires can't be chaos-touched. We just haven't seen any. Likely it's a combination of factors--their souls are rooted to their bodies, and don't disperse on death (Morr, the death-god can't touch them, and neither can the Chaos gods), and there's that pesky drive to dominate that sees them eat, sleep and breathe treachery makes them disinclined to willing servitude. I like to think of vampires as self-sustaining ambulatory ecosystems.

No, not all gods are Chaos gods in WHF. Not at all. Gods like Taal, Manann, Ulric, etc. existed prior to the first incursion of Chaos. What they are is anybody's guess...my take is that they're sentient masses of background magic that, much like the Chaos gods, feed on the worship of humans. Chaos is something other; a virus invading a living organism. The other gods are basically anti-bodies. And the Old Ones were the doctors whose free trial caused the patient to get sick in the first place. ;)

Spoiler: He's dead. Rumors persist, and he could be brought back, if someone found his corpse and gave it a blood-bath, but for all intents and purposes, he dead.

"Saving Wolverhampton from werewolves and Somerset from satyrs since 1600"--The Adventures of the Royal Occultist: http://royaloccultist.wordpress.com/
JReynolds

Postby Liliedhe » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:11 pm

JReynolds wrote:

Spoiler: It's murky. There's no reason vampires can't be chaos-touched. We just haven't seen any. Likely it's a combination of factors--their souls are rooted to their bodies, and don't disperse on death (Morr, the death-god can't touch them, and neither can the Chaos gods), and there's that pesky drive to dominate that sees them eat, sleep and breathe treachery makes them disinclined to willing servitude. I like to think of vampires as self-sustaining ambulatory ecosystems.

No, not all gods are Chaos gods in WHF. Not at all. Gods like Taal, Manann, Ulric, etc. existed prior to the first incursion of Chaos. What they are is anybody's guess...my take is that they're sentient masses of background magic that, much like the Chaos gods, feed on the worship of humans. Chaos is something other; a virus invading a living organism. The other gods are basically anti-bodies. And the Old Ones were the doctors whose free trial caused the patient to get sick in the first place. ;)

Spoiler: He's dead. Rumors persist, and he could be brought back, if someone found his corpse and gave it a blood-bath, but for all intents and purposes, he dead.

Thank you.
I started reading the Nagash books now... Poor Arkhan. ;)

Also,,upon rereading Master of Mourkain, I noticed I was totally wrong the first time (since I thought the thing in the crypt was)

Spoiler: Nagash.

"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Lord of the Night » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:33 pm

revilo44;1857442 wrote:Image

I. Can't. Wait. For. This. :D

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:50 pm

Now that it's finally up and I have seen the book proper, I have a few questions for you regarding The Return of Nagash;

1. The I roman numeral on the spine tells me this is a series. My question is thus: Is this a new series about Nagash returning to the Warhammer World and will you be writing the entire series? Or is this a world-based series about the End Times, and will other writers take on other factions in the series?

2. Will the story of Alarielle's daughter and Tyrion and Teclis hunting her be continued in the book? That's been my favourite story in the Army Books and i'd really like to see it resolved, hopefully with Tyrion saving the girl. After all she is the future Everqueen, and the Forces of Disorder haven't managed to get one of them yet. (Plus he's good and all, but Mannfred is no match for both Tyrion and Teclis, hell he's probably not a match for either of them individually.)

3. The prologue was... damn interesting. Will this be the tone of the entire series, venturing into uncharted territory and unpredictable occurences? Like if 40k went beyond 999.M41, Warhammer is going from two minutes to midnight and end, to midnight and THE END IS HERE RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! Or will the series merely establish the two minutes to midnight scenario even further?

Thanks in advance for what you can answer.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby JReynolds » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:04 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:Now that it's finally up and I have seen the book proper, I have a few questions for you regarding The Return of Nagash;

1. The I roman numeral on the spine tells me this is a series. My question is thus: Is this a new series about Nagash returning to the Warhammer World and will you be writing the entire series? Or is this a world-based series about the End Times, and will other writers take on other factions in the series?

2. Will the story of Alarielle's daughter and Tyrion and Teclis hunting her be continued in the book? That's been my favourite story in the Army Books and i'd really like to see it resolved, hopefully with Tyrion saving the girl. After all she is the future Everqueen, and the Forces of Disorder haven't managed to get one of them yet. (Plus he's good and all, but Mannfred is no match for both Tyrion and Teclis, hell he's probably not a match for either of them individually.)

3. The prologue was... damn interesting. Will this be the tone of the entire series, venturing into uncharted territory and unpredictable occurences? Like if 40k went beyond 999.M41, Warhammer is going from two minutes to midnight and end, to midnight and THE END IS HERE RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! Or will the series merely establish the two minutes to midnight scenario even further?

LotN

I apologize, but these are going to be terse, and to the point, mainly because I'm not certain what I'm allowed to say, and what I'm not, but I didn't want to leave you hanging over the weekend. To that end...

1. Can't say.

2. Yes. The story continues and is...resolved. For good or ill.

3. Can't say.
"Saving Wolverhampton from werewolves and Somerset from satyrs since 1600"--The Adventures of the Royal Occultist: http://royaloccultist.wordpress.com/
JReynolds

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:17 pm

JReynolds wrote:I apologize, but these are going to be terse, and to the point, mainly because I'm not certain what I'm allowed to say, and what I'm not, but I didn't want to leave you hanging over the weekend. To that end...

1. Can't say.

2. Yes. The story continues and is...resolved. For good or ill.

3. Can't say.

No apology necessary, thanks for the prompt reply. In regards to the one you could answer that answer is... ominous. I am personally hoping Tyrion saves the poor girl, if she dies then he will Lose. His. Sh*t, in a way that even Malekith didn't achieve.

I actually do have one more question, if you can answer it. How long have you been working on this book?/How long have you known that this new End Times series was coming?

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby JReynolds » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:35 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:No apology necessary, thanks for the prompt reply. In regards to the one you could answer that answer is... ominous. I am personally hoping Tyrion saves the poor girl, if she dies then he will Lose. His. Sh*t, in a way that even Malekith didn't achieve.

I actually do have one more question, if you can answer it. How long have you been working on this book?/How long have you known that this new End Times series was coming?

LotN

It's the End Times, man. 'Ominous' is in the description.

And I worked on it between December of last year and February. It's the book that bumped Blood Dragon off of the schedule. And...not long? Long enough to do the job, anyway.
JReynolds

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:42 pm

JReynolds wrote:It's the End Times, man. 'Ominous' is in the description.

And I worked on it between December of last year and February. It's the book that bumped Blood Dragon off of the schedule. And...not long? Long enough to do the job, anyway.

Along with numerous other words like terrifying, doom-laden and awesome.

So Black Library didn't cancel Blood Dragon, this series/update just made it unworkable with the new lore?

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby JReynolds » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:50 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:Along with numerous other words like terrifying, doom-laden and awesome.

So Black Library didn't cancel Blood Dragon, this series/update just made it unworkable with the new lore?

LotN

In a way. After it's initial delay, I was going to work on it later this year, but it got bumped from the schedule a second time for another project I can't talk about, leading to plans for its completion being scrapped. It ran aground on the reefs of scheduling priority.
JReynolds

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:02 pm

JReynolds wrote:In a way. After it's initial delay, I was going to work on it later this year, but it got bumped from the schedule a second time for another project I can't talk about, leading to plans for its completion being scrapped. It ran aground on the reefs of scheduling priority.

Hm, well that's a pity. But it is good that Black Library didn't just arbitrarily cancel it for less-than-acceptable sales, that sets a bad precedent in my opinion. If it had to die before it could be written, at least it was done so for another project to be completed.

Looking very forward to reading The Return of Nagash. Depending when it arrives, likely along with my also-ordered-today copy of The Talon of Horus 1st Ed, I will either be reading it early next week or as soon as I finish Skulduggery Pleasant: The Dying of the Light, which MUST take precedence over all other books.

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby Liliedhe » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:59 pm

Well, although I so far couldn't finish the Nagash trilogy, I'll definitely get this one. I love the way you write Arkhan :mrgreen:
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:11 pm

Liliedhe wrote:Well, although I so far couldn't finish the Nagash trilogy, I'll definitely get this one. I love the way you write Arkhan :mrgreen:

Aka The Guy That Needed To Pay Triple For Whores To Touch Him. :lol:

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby Monolithika » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:14 pm

Well. This will now be a long and painful week until this lands on my doormat.

While i suppose patience would answer my questions, are you able to say whether this covers anything post Nagash resurrection, or is much of this book leading to his wake up?

If the latter then, at the risk of sounding greedy, I hope there's more to come on this story arc from you.
"Sounds distinctly like a busking scorpion".

Dissonant Monolithika
Monolithika

Postby JReynolds » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:57 am

Monolithika wrote:Well. This will now be a long and painful week until this lands on my doormat.

While i suppose patience would answer my questions, are you able to say whether this covers anything post Nagash resurrection, or is much of this book leading to his wake up?

If the latter then, at the risk of sounding greedy, I hope there's more to come on this story arc from you.

Spoiler: It doesn't, unfortunately. The book is about Mannfred and Arkhan attempting to revive Nagash, while fighting off various enemies and attempting to kill one another. It's like a buddy-cop movie, except they're undead and hate each other. Also there is a vampire romance subplot.

Spoiler: There is, but not for awhile yet.

Also, thanks for preordering it!
JReynolds

Postby Liliedhe » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:06 am

I finished Nagash the Sorceror. And when I read the explanations at the end, I was a bit confused, because it said Lahmia is the City of Asaph and I was of the impression that was Lybaras? Isnt Khalida the Daughter of Asaph?

Also, the Ushabti in The Serpent Queen were something quite different from the Ushabti in Nagash... Is that something that happens as the result of what comes in the other books, or are constructs just named for the other Ushabti?
Liliedhe

Postby JReynolds » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:22 pm

Liliedhe wrote:I finished Nagash the Sorceror. And when I read the explanations at the end, I was a bit confused, because it said Lahmia is the City of Asaph and I was of the impression that was Lybaras? Isnt Khalida the Daughter of Asaph?

Also, the Ushabti in The Serpent Queen were something quite different from the Ushabti in Nagash... Is that something that happens as the result of what comes in the other books, or are constructs just named for the other Ushabti?

Neferata was the high priestess of Asaph before she went all...murder-y. So, in that sense, Lahmia was the City of Asaph. When Lahmia fell, and the dead were returned to life, Khalida took her place as Best-Beloved of Asaph, and Lybaras became the City of Asaph.

And the constructs are named for the originals. Or at least that's how it was explained to me.
JReynolds

Postby Liliedhe » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:36 pm

Thank you :). I am giving up on asking after gods and titles ;) because that way lies madness.

I preordered the new book :)

Might one of the old Nehekarans (beyond Arkhan) show up? Like Neferata? ;) or Abhorash?
Liliedhe

Postby JReynolds » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:03 pm

Liliedhe wrote:Thank you :). I am giving up on asking after gods and titles ;) because that way lies madness.

I preordered the new book :)

Might one of the old Nehekarans (beyond Arkhan) show up? Like Neferata? ;) or Abhorash?

Thank you. :)

And...possibly?

Spoiler: They are definitely mentioned, I'll say that.

JReynolds

Postby Lord of the Night » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:37 pm

Hey Josh,

Read The Return of Nagash, great book that was very tense and very exciting. Very sad though.

Spoiler: Poor Aliathra. I was hoping she'd be okay. Instead she died, Eltharion died and poor Eldyra got turned. Looking forward, and dreading, Tyrion's reaction to this. 'Specially when he finds out who played a role in making it happen.

I do have one or two questions though;

1. Will we see Elize and Erikan again? I liked their story, their strange love that made Elize do what she did at the end.

2. What was it like, being responsible for the death scenes of so many tabletop characters? Eltharion, Kemmler, Morgiana, all of their deaths were brilliant and shocking, I look forward to seeing who else meets their end in the End Times.

3. Is there actually an answer to where Mannfred is from? Or is that just a mystery for the sake of it?

4. Will you be doing anything further in the End Times? Another book about Nagash perhaps or another topic entirely?

5. Is there even a chance in hell we could get a short story about Nyktolos leading his army of zombie sea turtles against Tor Elasir?? Or perhaps the incident with the Mimes?? :lol:

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby JReynolds » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:01 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:Hey Josh,

Read The Return of Nagash, great book that was very tense and very exciting. Very sad though.

Spoiler: Poor Aliathra. I was hoping she'd be okay. Instead she died, Eltharion died and poor Eldyra got turned. Looking forward, and dreading, Tyrion's reaction to this. 'Specially when he finds out who played a role in making it happen.

I do have one or two questions though;

1. Will we see Elize and Erikan again? I liked their story, their strange love that made Elize do what she did at the end.

2. What was it like, being responsible for the death scenes of so many tabletop characters? Eltharion, Kemmler, Morgiana, all of their deaths were brilliant and shocking, I look forward to seeing who else meets their end in the End Times.

3. Is there actually an answer to where Mannfred is from? Or is that just a mystery for the sake of it?

4. Will you be doing anything further in the End Times? Another book about Nagash perhaps or another topic entirely?

5. Is there even a chance in hell we could get a short story about Nyktolos leading his army of zombie sea turtles against Tor Elasir?? Or perhaps the incident with the Mimes?? :lol:

LotN

Glad you enjoyed it. I shall endeavor to answer your questions as well as I can.

1. Possibly? Maybe? I honestly can't say, at this point.

2. It was...interesting. I had no idea how people were going to react, and that made it a little nerve-wracking, honestly. That said...you ain't seen nothing yet.

3. Mystery for the sake of it, just like Vlad's secret identity. I have a theory, however, and it colors how I write him. Click the spoiler, if you're interested.

Spoiler: Mannfred is Khaled al-Muntasir from God-King/Neferata.

4. See the answer to 1.

5. Nope. I only got away with that because it was a throw-away line. :)
JReynolds

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors