Ask... JOSH REYNOLDS

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Ask... JOSH REYNOLDS

Postby Pyroriffic » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:16 pm

Address all your questions to Josh Reynolds here.

PLEASE AVOID ANSWERING A QUESTION UNLESS THE AUTHOR HAS HAD A CHANCE TO DO IT FIRST!

Also, please note these are not general discussion threads. The clue's in the name.

Thanks.

Josh Reynolds's official Black Library page can be found here.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Re: ASK... Josh Reynolds

Postby Pyroriffic » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:17 pm

Just to open up Josh's thread and to make you all aware of it, he's running a competition!

Go. Get thee hence. And all that. Shoo. SHOO!
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Re: Ask... JOSH REYNOLDS

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:38 pm

whatever possessed you to come here and be subject to our infernal inquisition?

when I have a spare moment (pile of books is remaining a pile) I will buy a hammer and bolter with your short story in (I feel there is only the one but I must stress that people don't quote me on that assertion) though I fear it is much more likely that I'll buy your novel and read that before then anyways.

By which I mean to imply that I will read your work, judge your value as a person on it and then air those judgements here along with questions to allow you a chance to raise or lower your stock with me with your answers.

Oh I suppose it is always good to know a new authors history with the IP, so if you want to share whatever got you into this fine mess of writing warhammer stories I won't disapprove.
schaferwhat‽

Postby JReynolds » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:18 pm

schaferwhat‽ wrote:whatever possessed you to come here and be subject to our infernal inquisition?

when I have a spare moment (pile of books is remaining a pile) I will buy a hammer and bolter with your short story in (I feel there is only the one but I must stress that people don't quote me on that assertion) though I fear it is much more likely that I'll buy your novel and read that before then anyways.

By which I mean to imply that I will read your work, judge your value as a person on it and then air those judgements here along with questions to allow you a chance to raise or lower your stock with me with your answers.

Oh I suppose it is always good to know a new authors history with the IP, so if you want to share whatever got you into this fine mess of writing warhammer stories I won't disapprove.

Sarah threatened me with a glaring. Also, the assumption that no one would actually ask me any questions.

Man, long as you buy something I'm a happy camper.Poppa needs him some royalties.Though, in the interests of shameless shilling, there are actually three stories to choose from in H&B, though if you've read Age of Legend you've probably already read "The Gods Demand". "The First Duty" was in issue 6 and "Dead Calm" was in issue 13, respectively, and both feature characters from Knight of the Blazing Sun.

My history with the IP is pretty basic...I played both W40K and WHF intermittently but Necromunda was more my thing. I read some of the early BL output, mostly William King's Gotrek and Felix series and the Jack Yeovil/Kim Newman books, but not much else until here lately. My knowledge of the IP thus was (is) mostly outdated and inadequate ("What do you mean Rogue Trader is out of date?" and "Malal isn't an official Chaos god any more? When did that happen?" were both questions I asked of certain editors in all seriousness...) which means I've had to read a whole bunch in order to get up to speed. Or just make stuff up. I do that a lot too.

As far as what got me involved in writing for BL, 'twas thus...I happened on the submission guidelines while perusing possible fiction markets, said, "Hey, here's a way for to leverage my limited and possibly faulty knowledge of this franchise into possible earnings!" and then proceeded to do so because I was getting tired of writing travel brochures, automotive manuals and gardening advice columns. Also, there was this thing with the Russian mob and it was just a whole big scene, and...yeah, so basically, money. And desperation. Desperation and money. Desperation, money and Russians.

Possibly a bokor.

Desperation, money, some Russians and a bokor.

What was the question?
"Saving Wolverhampton from werewolves and Somerset from satyrs since 1600"--The Adventures of the Royal Occultist: http://royaloccultist.wordpress.com/
JReynolds

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:27 pm

The question was "what four things do you find make for the best nights out?"

I thank you for your answer.
schaferwhat‽

Postby JReynolds » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:40 am

schaferwhat‽ wrote:The question was "what four things do you find make for the best nights out?"

I thank you for your answer.

I live but to serve.
"Saving Wolverhampton from werewolves and Somerset from satyrs since 1600"--The Adventures of the Royal Occultist: http://royaloccultist.wordpress.com/
JReynolds

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:30 pm

Time of Legends: Neferata?

A very interesting subject. A Vampire Queen and her handmaidens fighting against the Dwarfs of the Silver Pinnacle, a battle we know they lose.

My questions are...

1. Is this the start of a new ToL series based on the Original Vampires?

2. Did you come up with the idea for this novel?

3. What can you tell us about writing Neferata as a character?

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby JReynolds » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:09 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:Time of Legends: Neferata?

A very interesting subject. A Vampire Queen and her handmaidens fighting against the Dwarfs of the Silver Pinnacle, a battle we know they lose.

My questions are...

1. Is this the start of a new ToL series based on the Original Vampires?

2. Did you come up with the idea for this novel?

3. What can you tell us about writing Neferata as a character?

LotN

LotN,

1. I have no idea whether I can answer this and not get in trouble. So I'll err on the side of 'Er...maybe?' Feel free to speculate.

2. As in 'did I come up with the story?' Sort of...the editors had a bevy of ideas about what they wanted to see and I put together a proposal incorporating those ideas, as well as my own. As in 'did I propose it?' Nope. It was offered to me and I leaped upon it with much snarling, slavering and surreptitious sidling back towards my hole.

3. I'm picking up where Mike Lee left Neferata in Nagash Immortal in terms of character and cranking the knob to ten. She's a lot of fun...she's cunning, ruthless, and exceedingly vicious. The dirtiest player in the game. Even in the middle of a knock-down, drag-out, fang and claw fight, she's scheming away, planning her next move. She's three steps ahead and two to the side of her opponents. Sort of like Ric Flair, only, 'y'know, a woman. And a vampire. And not a wrestler. (Abhorash, btw, is totally Dusty Rhodes...) I love twisty-turn-y characters, so I'm really enjoying putting her into situations and then letting her tear her way out of them.
JReynolds

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:13 pm

Sir Josh, you just won the internets with a Ric Flair reference!
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby JReynolds » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:17 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:Sir Josh, you just won the internets with a Ric Flair reference!

Whoo!
JReynolds

Postby JReynolds » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:18 pm

JReynolds wrote:
shadowhawk2008 wrote:Sir Josh, you just won the internets with a Ric Flair reference!

Whoo!

Good lord...I really am a redneck...
JReynolds

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:29 pm

JReynolds wrote:
JReynolds wrote:

Whoo!

Good lord...I really am a redneck...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRypHtJKYqU

If you act like that then yeah you are. :)

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby JReynolds » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:40 pm

More like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxC3oAD1iUg

No mullet though. That sh*t don't fly.
JReynolds

Postby Xisor » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:48 pm

Josh,

Thoroughly enjoyed The Gods Demand (inc. "Bld fr th' bld gd!") and am hammering away at Knights right now. The telling of a 'continuation' of the threads lain in Lee's Nagash novels fills me with joy.

To that extent: How closely will you be following the universe established by Lee?

It's a shame, I'd say, that Lee's work wasn't 'respected' by the new TK book (though, by contrast, I can't honestly say that I don't like the 'other direction', I think it's pretty cool too - it's just a shame they don't quite...mesh). It seems like an odd place to be sitting in, with some pretty bald contradictions between them, but on the otherhand...I've reconciled them pretty happily in my head*. It'll be interesting in either/any direction, I'm sure, but it's always neat to hear about folks dealing with such...complications.

* Lee's Nagash novels are an 'in universe' story: e.g. told from the perspective of someone in 2500+ Empire who only has vague access to a Vampire's knowledge about the history and has written a big ol' account of it all, thus missing out/having-to-fill-in proper details like 'what are Ushabti' and 'what of the gods?'.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby JReynolds » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:14 pm

Xisor wrote:Josh,

Thoroughly enjoyed The Gods Demand (inc. "Bld fr th' bld gd!") and am hammering away at Knights right now. The telling of a 'continuation' of the threads lain in Lee's Nagash novels fills me with joy.

To that extent: How closely will you be following the universe established by Lee?

It's a shame, I'd say, that Lee's work wasn't 'respected' by the new TK book (though, by contrast, I can't honestly say that I don't like the 'other direction', I think it's pretty cool too - it's just a shame they don't quite...mesh). It seems like an odd place to be sitting in, with some pretty bald contradictions between them, but on the otherhand...I've reconciled them pretty happily in my head*. It'll be interesting in either/any direction, I'm sure, but it's always neat to hear about folks dealing with such...complications.

* Lee's Nagash novels are an 'in universe' story: e.g. told from the perspective of someone in 2500+ Empire who only has vague access to a Vampire's knowledge about the history and has written a big ol' account of it all, thus missing out/having-to-fill-in proper details like 'what are Ushabti' and 'what of the gods?'.

Glad you liked it Xisor. And I hope you enjoy KotBS.

As far as your question...as closely as I reasonably can. I'm referencing it often and shamelessly; in fact, I'm referencing all of the ToL series when and where it's appropriate. For instance, two characters from Graham McNeill's Sigmar series are important secondary characters in Neferata (and if you've read those, you can probably guess which two...).

See, for me though, I regard regulating the contradiction between Lee's books and the TK stuff as a challenge, and a comparatively easy one. Especially compared to the intimidating cave-beast that is the stack of Vampire Counts/Undead army books, all of which are ever so slightly potentially contradictory of each other in regards to names and dates. What I came up with, like Lee's Nagash stuff, ain't going to match the army books exactly, but it'll be as close as I can possibly get it and still write a decent book.

And in some cases, I'll just be making stuff up to paper over the gaps. For instance, Neferata drives a vermilion Lotus through the halls of Nagashizzar in chapter 4 and sword-fights Captain Kronos-Vampire Hunter while atop a zombie-dragon in chapter 12.
JReynolds

Postby Jim Shady » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:00 am

JReynolds wrote:The dirtiest player in the game.

No. I was too slow! *lets out a little woo* woo :(
Ah me lads, ye shud only seen us gannin',
We pass'd the foaks upon the road just as they wor stannin';
Thor wes lots o' lads an' lasses there, all wi' smiling faces,
Gawn alang the Scotswood Road, to see the Blaydon Races
Jim Shady

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:45 pm

A question: what kind of research are you doing for the neferata trilogy? Armybooks? The various vampire novels? Liber necris?
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby JReynolds » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:36 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:A question: what kind of research are you doing for the neferata trilogy? Armybooks? The various vampire novels? Liber necris?

All of the above, although the Liber Necris was more in the way of extracurricular research than officially sanctioned research, if that makes sense. By and large though, this period of history has been left blank (for good reason), so there's not a lot that directly refers to it, save the official time-lines in the VC army books.

Basically, there ain't a whole lot of research I can do, save try and create a sort of middle-ground between the vampires in Mike Lee's Nagash books and the ones in Nathan Long's Ulrika stuff or CL Werner's The Red Duke. The intermediary stage of the infection, as it were.

It'll be up to y'all (the readers) to decide whether I've succeeded.
JReynolds

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:08 pm

As a fan of the Ulrika novels, that is good news for me :)

shadowhawk2008

Postby Xisor » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:00 pm

Josh,

Lovely response, much appreciated.

JReynolds wrote:try and create a sort of middle-ground between the vampires in Mike Lee's Nagash books and the ones in Nathan Long's Ulrika stuff or CL Werner's The Red Duke. The intermediary stage of the infection, as it were.

I think this is rather compelling. It sounds as if the 'legend' then is that "Nefereta then went here. <hands waved to indicate passage of time>. Then this, this and that happened." So you've got that big, middle "<passage of time>" section to fill in and detail the transformation. I like the idea of it, certainly. I'll draw up some severe judgement criteria and buy a clipboard whilst you write the damn things.

---

A Question

You mentioned The Red Duke, there's a 'big reveal' late on in the book:

Spoiler: Giles le Breton (allegedly) was chums/in cahoots/knew/met/walked past a rather prominent vampire.

Have you given much/any thought as to how you will resist/give-in to the temptations of making such incisions into other, largely non-vampire events which end up being contemporaneous?

(You've already mentioned two prominent Sigmar characters'll likely feature.)
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors