Ask... JOHN FRENCH

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: Ask... JOHN FRENCH

Postby John French » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:30 pm

Yes, I can even remember when the Night Lords had red (yes red) legs and followed Khorne.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. A lot of this is laying the pipe and ground work for people (hopefully including me) to do what we know comes later for the Fists.

And by "things, and... stuff" do you mean Black Library related things, and... stuff?

Yes. :D 7 months worth of things and stuff.
Follow me wittering about things on twitter - John French @johnshfrench
also follow me around on facebook - www.facebook.com/johnshfrench
John French

Postby Phoebus » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:04 pm

Hey John, random question:

Looking at the cover of "Shadows of Treachery" (which features Byzantine-style artwork on an Imperial Fist's boarding shield), seeing the name of Alexis Pollux (a Latinized version of an ancient Greek hero's name), and correlating that with the mention of Boeotian political entities even in the far-future... it got me thinking.

I'm sure some names are chosen on the basis of resonating with the culture of the Legion itself - Graham McNeill, for instance, picking some Egyptian, Persian, and Greek names to correlate with the Thousand Sons' themes of mysticism, enlightenment, etc. I'm guessing most names are chosen by the authors more or less on the basis of what sounds nice, though.

Am I wrong at that? Has the team ever talked about whether, at their time of inception (meaning the spin-up for the Great Crusade), the Legions recruited from specific parts of the world? Or (if that wasn't the case, and one wanted to put an in-context face to the naming practice of the Legions' heroes) would you say that all the Legions were given authority to recruit from the whole of Terra?

Thanks in advance!
"And where is the prince who can afford so to cover his country with troops for its defense as that ten thousand men descending from the clouds might not in many places do an infinite deal of mischief before a force could be brought together to repel them?"
-- Benjamin Franklin
Phoebus

Postby Uncle Le » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:43 am

Hi, John!
I have a question about 'Grey Angel'. Excellent work by the bay. :)

Spoiler: When Luther asks Loken where they could have met, he names two planets. But I can't define the exact names. (Something like 'Cadoncine' and 'Zaramond'?) And my friends who also have listened to it all have different name variants.

Would you please illuminate me on how these planet's names are correctly written.

Thank you very much.
Uncle Le

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:02 pm

I must must must ask this question.

Please can you tell us everything about this? Is it the start of an Ahriman series? It is a full novel? Will it cover the Rubric of Ahriman?

Oh also if the answer to those three questions is yes then I must say this to you,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQCP85FngzE

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby BL Graeme » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:27 pm

John,

Is it true that you've written a story for the BL Weekender that features a rather shiny chap having an extremely bad day...?

Graeme
BL Graeme

Postby Liliedhe » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:15 pm

It is Warhammer. Doesnt it feature only bad days? :P
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby John French » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:22 pm

Wow, go away for a while and these pile up.

So here we go:

@ Phoebus: quite often we are working with names that are already set. Polux, for example, was an existing name in the lore. Personally I like to pick names that have a resonance with some part of the story or its subject.
There are a few details about Legions recruiting from particular parts of Terra (in Forge World’s Horus Heresy: Betrayal, for example), but Terra bears almost no resemblance physically of culturally to Earth (it is often noted that there are no seas or oceans for example). What does remain are distant and faint echoes of the past. The links in names and symbolism are largely thematic.

@ Uncle Le: Thank you, kind sir. It’s Cardensine, and Zaramund.

@ Lord of the Night: Ah... now... yes... Lovely cover isn’t it? :D I can say that it is a novel and it is about Ahriman after the Rubric.
As to whether it is the start of a series: I cannot say.

@ BL Graeme: It is true, and it is rather an unpleasant day even by the standards of the 41st Millennium. Given what the grey and shiny gentleman does on his average day the word ‘bad’ has a whole different meaning.
John French

Postby Lord of the Night » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:04 pm

John French wrote:@ Lord of the Night: Ah... now... yes... Lovely cover isn’t it? :D I can say that it is a novel and it is about Ahriman after the Rubric.

As to whether it is the start of a series: I cannot say.

Yes it is. Looking forward to seeing a bigger version of it when BL officially release it.

Hmm, the standard BL answer for when there's more to say but it can't be said. Truthfully it's your choice of title that makes me think series, a standalone would have a title like The Exile of Ahriman but you've chosen Ahriman: Exile. The : to mark Exile as distinct points towards there being others that will be titled Ahriman: [Insert title here].

Either way Ahriman: Exile ranks in the Top 5 for my Most Anticipated titles alongside Headtaker and Path of the Incubus. Can't wait to read it, and to see what you tell us when you can say. :D

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby sam vimes » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:00 am

BL Graeme wrote:John,

Is it true that you've written a story for the BL Weekender that features a rather shiny chap having an extremely bad day...?

Graeme

which shiny chap, we have a few knocking around in 30/40k lol
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Xisor » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:07 am

sam vimes wrote:
BL Graeme wrote:John,

Graeme

which shiny chap, we have a few knocking around in 30/40k lol

I'm expecting (nay: demanding) it be "Primark: The Emperor's Cheap Day Out"
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby LordLucan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:19 pm

Would Ahriman: Exile had Inquisitor Bronislaw Czevak in it possibly? Or woudl the story be set earlier, possibly set in the scouring period, just after Magnus chucks him out of the Thousand Sons for the Rubric?
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Phoebus » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:36 pm

Thanks for the reply, John. :)
"And where is the prince who can afford so to cover his country with troops for its defense as that ten thousand men descending from the clouds might not in many places do an infinite deal of mischief before a force could be brought together to repel them?"
-- Benjamin Franklin
Phoebus

Postby Liliedhe » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:41 pm

Here, have another sad panda :P

Spoiler: I just finished Angel Exterminatus and now know what happened to Navarra.

"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby sam vimes » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:29 pm

Well I'm about 30 or so pages into Crimsion Fist and well it's FETHING!! brilliant I tried to read more but I'm to tired to focus at the moment although when I dropped SHOT a minute ago it opend at the scene were Dorn gets all shouty at Sigsmund, thanks for a brilliant opening few pages John more please. :D
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:20 pm

How many tanks?
schaferwhat‽

Postby John French » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:17 pm

Ten million... give or take :)
John French

Postby Lord of the Night » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:20 pm

John French wrote:Ten million... give or take :)

Will any loyalist Legions be taking part in Tallarn? Or was it really just the natives, or the future Desert Raiders, fighting back against the Iron Warriors and winning??

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:46 pm

I know what I'd prefer: Tallarns proto-Desert Raiders against Iron Warriors.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Mossy Toes » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:21 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:I know what I'd prefer: Tallarns proto-Desert Raiders against Iron Warriors.

Remember, Tallarn was a garden world that just got virus-bombed at this time, if the old lore still holds. People fought in tanks so that they wouldn't be exposed to the toxic gasses outside their vehicles.

(I suppose they didn't use the life-eater virus, then, which burns out so quickly)
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Liliedhe » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:47 pm

I just finished The Crucible. ;) Very nice story. Poor main character. Thus, I owe you another one:

Liliedhe

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors