Ask... JOHN FRENCH

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: Ask... JOHN FRENCH

Postby Liliedhe » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:36 pm

And another:

This one is for Warmaster. I guess Horus doesn't really count as a nice character anymore, but his ... audience certainly does. And he didn't deserve to star in very, very bad Shakespeare reenactments. :P
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi John, quick question.

I read your short story Crucible yesterday, absolutely loved it. My question is, are you planning to write any more GK stuff in the future??

Edit: I've also started reading Ahriman: Exile and am really enjoying it thus far. I loved your description of the scent of corruption. "Crushed roses and fresh faeces." Now that is something unique right there. :)

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby John French » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 pm

@Lord of the Nght
Really glad you enjoyed it. I would love to do more with the Grey Knights, and its a definite possibility for the future, just have to see how things work out. There is also a good chance that they will crop up in... other places...
Follow me wittering about things on twitter - John French @johnshfrench
also follow me around on facebook - www.facebook.com/johnshfrench
John French

Postby David Earle » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:45 am

Hello John,

I just finished reading Ahriman: Exile, and wanted to say kudos. I had a lot of trouble putting it down. :D Well done on Warmaster too while I'm at it; I do enjoy a good villainous monologue.

One question only: Do you know what Chapter Astraeos and his kin were a part of? (I won't even ask about the Harrowing. Ugh, hook teeth.)
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:34 am

I actually have a question about Exile as well.

What happened to Kadin? I get what happened to Maroth, Ahriman's psychic assault broke his mind and allowed things like fear to take root in his mind. Maroth became a broken parody of a being. But Kadin was much different, he seemed a little sociopathic when he spoke to Astreos and he stopped complaining about Ahriman.

Am I right in thinking that parts of his personality were damaged by the Daemonic possession and that who he is now is his personality trying to fill in the gaps? Or is it something else entirely?

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Liliedhe » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:32 pm

David Earle wrote:Hello John,

[...]
One question only: Do you know what Chapter Astraeos and his kin were a part of? (I won't even ask about the Harrowing. Ugh, hook teeth.)

Spoiler: Bronze Gorgons? I admit this is conjecture, but I am definitely wondering where they are from, too.

I've also taken a liking to Astraeos and something tells me that is entirely unfortunate. ;) For me.

Finally got sucked into the book yesterday, and it is totally awesome. :)
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby John French » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:21 pm

Thanks guys, really pleased you are enjoying Ahriman: Exile :D

@David Earle and Liliedhe
What chapter are Astraeos and his brothers from? Well the honest answer is that you will have to allow me to keep a secret or two. For now.

@Lord of the Night
Yes, your right - the idea I had with Kadin is that he had most of his psyche burned away. The consciousness that remains is really a shell. He has lots of the memories, and some of the instincts and emotions of his previous self, but thy don't necessarily join up. Things that formed the core of his self become like pictures in his mind - he can look at them, even understand them, but they don't necessarily mean anything to him. More than a little sociopathic. That was the idea anyway, hopefully it came through.
Follow me wittering about things on twitter - John French @johnshfrench
also follow me around on facebook - www.facebook.com/johnshfrench
John French

Postby Mossy Toes » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:17 am

Have somewhat belatedly read Shadows of Treachery, and in it, "The Crimson Fist."

Excellent story, though a few lines in it about gravitron topedoes and the like sets me off on a somewhat meandering chain of thought. I've read on AB-D's blog that you work for Forge World, so coupled with this clearly heresy-only technology being fired around, I can't help but wonder if there's some sort of "Battlefleet: Heresy" supplement to BFG in the works to accompany Betrayal and such.

I realize that it's a recedingly unlikely shot in the dark on my part, and that if something is being put together, you almost certainly won't be able to say anything--but even just a flat out denial would help set my mind at ease, on this count.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Liliedhe » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:19 pm

I finished Ahriman: Exile. ;) For once, no sad Panda :P.

Great book - I probably ought to feel sorry for Ahriman, but I don't. ;) The old boy should know better, except he of course doesn't. It seems to me the ultimate irony of the TS is that they know so much and learn so little. Nice mystery at the end... ;)

I kinda do feel sorry for Astraeos (who was my favourite character in the book), but it seems whatever it was that set him on this path happened long before he met Ahriman. I do have some suspicions to what that was.

Spoiler: I think his chapter is one of those wiped out in the Abyssal Crusade...

Also, the following is my favourite quote in the book:

Spoiler: "They are my brothers, not my slaves."

Which also prompts me to ask a question: Are the Rubricae indestructible? They certainly seem to be here.
Liliedhe

Postby Bloody Mary » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:48 pm

After reading Atheme, I have a few questions.

Spoiler: Is Gog a Perpetual, were the Chaos gods preserving him or is he something else?

Spoiler: The knights who kill Gog--are they King Arthur's knights? Or is the king the Fisher King? Or maybe it's Galahad?
I'm guessing he's one of the Emperor's disguises--does it mean the Emperor was also Brutus?

Bloody Mary

Postby Words_of_Truth » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:24 am

I'd also like to know in regards to Ahriman..

Spoiler: What chapter Astraeos and his brothers are from, is it an Astartes Praeses chapter? I know grey figures were involved in their destruction and I don't know if I'm recalling this properly but I think it said or implied it was their chapter homeworld which was attacked and they escaped from it or am I just getting muddled up with the rogue tech adept who merges with Titan Child or were both their worlds attacked by loyal Imperium forces?

Words_of_Truth

Postby Liliedhe » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:19 pm

I didn't buy Riven yet - will have to wait for next month... - but I wonder if it will make me a sad panda again :P.

I do look forward to it, though, because I'm probably masochist. :twisted:
Liliedhe

Postby Dorian » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:58 pm

I NEED more Ahriman. I really do. After re-reading Ahriman: Exile 3 times already I' yearning for something new. :mrgreen:

Mr. French, is your answer still "I can't say" in regards to another Ahriman novel?
Wyrd bið ful aræd.

We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things.

If the world is at peace then it means someone is planning war.
Dorian

Postby Liliedhe » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:56 pm

I really liked your Ahriman Calendar short *pictures Ahriman in a classic action pose*.

Spoiler: I also feel dumb because I only now got the meaning of his Horkos name. "I am a cursed oathbreaker?" Angsty much? ;)

"See, daddy, how sorry I am? How very, very, very sorry and suffering I am? How guilty I am? Please, like me again, please?" :P

Liliedhe

Postby Bloody Mary » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:09 pm

So, I just read Riven and mainly, I have this to say:

Spoiler: Also, are those really Necron!Iron Hands, or am I just paranoid?

Bloody Mary

Postby Liliedhe » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:45 pm

And I read Ahriman The Dead Oracle.

So, Ahriman is collecting the party for the RPG campaign? ;)

Spoiler: And Ctesias is a ****. How dare he call Astraeos 'mongrel'. :evil:

Liliedhe

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors