A Question For All Authors

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

A Question For All Authors

Postby Raven » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:37 pm

I was wondering out of all the books you've written for Black Library WH 40k, HH, which of the books that you wrote is your favourite and why.
Raven

Re: A Question For All Authors

Postby Mike Lee » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:07 pm

Raven wrote:I was wondering out of all the books you've written for Black Library WH 40k, HH, which of the books that you wrote is your favourite and why.

That's a tough question to answer. Probably the one I'm most proud of is Fallen Angels, because it was one of the most challenging things I've ever written. Not only did I have to use the characters and situations from Descent of Angels, I had to use them to tell a very different kind of story, and within a very narrow set of strictures. It was an incredibly difficult book to do, and I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Best of all, I love all the speculation and discussion the book has engendered, which was something I really strived for.

Cheers,

Mike Lee
Mike Lee

Postby Nathan Long » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:22 am

For me its almost always the one I just finished, but since that's not published yet, I'll have to say Bloodborn. It has my favorite ending of any of the books I've written for BL so far.
Nathan's Books
-Blackhearts Omnibus
-Orcslayer, Manslayer, Elfslayer, Shamanslayer, Zombieslayer
-Battle for Skull Pass
-Bloodborn
-Bloodforged

Nathan's Blog!
Sabrepunk.com
Nathan Long

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:32 am

Nathan Long wrote:It has my favorite ending of any of the books I've written for BL so far.

Mr. Long SHHH!! I'm almost there! :D
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby Cypher6 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:42 pm

I guess this is the most fitting place to pose such a question, but where is the 'Ask Sarah Cawkwell' thread?

:o
'Interesting times'
Cypher6

Postby Pyroriffic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:48 pm

Cypher6 wrote:I guess this is the most fitting place to pose such a question, but where is the 'Ask Sarah Cawkwell' thread?

It doesn't exist.

I don't have a book published yet.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:26 pm

I have a word document on my computer full of questions for when Pyro's thread comes.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA
schaferwhat‽

Postby Pyroriffic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:39 pm

I will ban you from posting on it.
Pyroriffic

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:35 pm

The first question will be "why are you such a big meanie?"
schaferwhat‽

Postby Pyroriffic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:20 pm

The answer will be simple.

"Schafe made me that way."

:)
Pyroriffic

Postby Cypher6 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:35 pm

Pyroriffic wrote:
Cypher6 wrote:I guess this is the most fitting place to pose such a question, but where is the 'Ask Sarah Cawkwell' thread?

It doesn't exist.

I don't have a book published yet.

You have a short story though, from which some questions will undoubtedly arise...
'Interesting times'
Cypher6

Postby Pyroriffic » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:07 pm

Indeed.

And until such time as there's a book, they can be asked here.

Pyroriffic

Postby Lord of the Night » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:12 pm

Pyroriffic wrote:The answer will be simple.

"Schafe made me that way."

Thanks Schafe, you've ruined Pyroriffic.
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Richard Williams » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:15 pm

To drag the thread kicking and screaming back on topic...

I was wondering out of all the books you've written for Black Library WH 40k, HH, which of the books that you wrote is your favourite and why.

I couldn't say a favourite book, but my favourite section is probably the epilogue from Reiksguard (though the last chapter from Imperial Glory is pretty heady stuff if you have grown fond of the main characters at all).

Come to think of it, Becket turning the tables on Ward at the dinner in the senior officers mess in Relentless was a great moment along with the Vickers's last charge.

Though, of course, Schafe does get killed off in Imperial Glory (you made it into the paginated copy btw), so maybe that moment should be my favourite :twisted:
Richard Williams

Postby Jon Green » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:24 am

Mine would have to be Necromancer, published back in 2005. It didn't get a lot of love at the time, but I personally felt that I had succeeded in achieving what I set out to do. It was supposed to be the first in an ongoing series too, and I pitched a sequel to BL a couple of years later, but nothing came of it, unfortunately.
http://www.JonathanGreenAuthor.com - the offical website of author Jonathan Green
Jon Green

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:23 am

For Pyro,

Are the Blood Swords in Accursed Eternity, timeline wise, before JS' Red Fury or after (since their chapter master dreadnought Daggan was killed on Baal)?
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Pyroriffic » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:31 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:For Pyro,

Are the Blood Swords in Accursed Eternity, timeline wise, before JS' Red Fury or after (since their chapter master dreadnought Daggan was killed on Baal)?

Sorry Shadowhawk, almost missed this.

The simple answer is 'before'. Thus, Daggan is still Chapter Master at this point in time. I had a good long chat with Jim about the Blood Swords before I set off on the Accursed Eternity' road trip.
Pyroriffic

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:36 pm

Pyroriffic wrote:
shadowhawk2008 wrote:For Pyro,

Sorry Shadowhawk, almost missed this.

The simple answer is 'before'. Thus, Daggan is still Chapter Master at this point in time. I had a good long chat with Jim about the Blood Swords before I set off on the Accursed Eternity' road trip.

*goosebumps of delicious thrills*
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Uncle Le » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:33 am

I would like to know why the (it seems) majority of nowadays BL-authors believe that Space Marine progenoids are extracted only after the Space Marine is killed? (And not when the progenoid is matured.)
Or rather they don't actually believe but simply don't know?

Also do you know that:

The traditional uniform color of Battlefleet Obscurus is red.
The traditional uniform color of Battlefleet Pacificus is green.
The traditional uniform color of Battlefleet Solar is black.
The traditional uniform color of Battlefleet Tempestus is blue.
The traditional uniform color of Battlefleet Ultima is grey.

?

Some (precious few) authors know, but what of the others?
Uncle Le

Postby Uncle Le » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:13 am

Uncle Le wrote:I would like to know why the (it seems) majority of nowadays BL-authors believe that Space Marine progenoids are extracted only after the Space Marine is killed? (And not when the progenoid is matured.)

So no any comments about Silver Skulls (from their author)? Or about dreadnought having progenoids (from Phill Kelly)? Or from any others who it seems don't bother to do their homework?
n.b. All these questions are rhetorical. (I am sane enough.)

I read a lot of BL books. And I know that there are authors who do know what they are writing about. They clearly did study background of the Warhammer universe deeper than just the main timeline and some terminology. For the shortlist of such professionals I would name Gav Thorpe, Richard Williams and Matthew Farrer. And I hope to believe that there are more (mr. Dan?).
BUT. But what is really sad that there are a lot of other authors who do not bother(?) to know what they are writing about. Since the constant ridiculousnesses with the progenoids and other SM stuff. It strikes me rather unpleasantly when I discover that I know on the subject more that author (who gets paid), and not some kind of quiz-things, but the very base of the background.

If you are writing about Space Marines - get Index Astartes articles starting with 'Rites of Initiation', 'Codex Astartes' and 'Daily Rituals'.

Returning to poor Progenoids:

Phase 18 - Progenoids. There are two of these glands, one situated in the neck, the other deep within the chest cavity. These glands are important to the survival of the Marine's Chapter. Each organ grows within the Marine, absorbing hormonal stimuli and genetic material from the other implants. After five years, the neck gland is mature and ready for removal. After ten years, the chest gland becomes mature and is also ready for removal. A gland may be removed any time after it has matured. These glands represent a Chapter's only source of gene-seed. When mature, each gland contains a single gene-seed corresponding to each zygote implanted into the recipient Marine. Once removed by surgery, the progenoid must be carefully prepared, its individual gene-seeds checked for mutation, and sound gene-seeds stored. Gene-seeds can be stored indefinitely under suitable conditions.
Uncle Le

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors