ASK... ANDY SMILLIE

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: ASK... ANDY SMILLIE

Postby Squiggle » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:51 pm

many of us will be at BLL! there will be T shirts. There may also be cake, cheese and FUN!
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Andy Smillie » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:55 pm

Interesting point schafer. In lieu of doing any more writing this evening, I shall ponder it and get back to you.
Andy Smillie

Postby Malcador » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:10 am

Welcome to the Bolthole, you'll find most of us clinically insane, but in the great analogy that the Internet is in fact the Warp, we are the Astronomican, we are much more affable compared to the ungodly warp storm known as 4chan (the Eye of Terror).

I wanted to ask you, when you joined the BL authors, was there any special ritual to mark the event? Like ceremoniously bowing to the figure of the Emperor... or something of the like? :)
If you can't lower Heaven, RAISE HELL!
Malcador

Postby Andy Smillie » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:07 pm

Gosh, Sunday comes around quick.

Malcador - thanks for the welcome. Special ritual... does hugging Christian count? Otherwise, no.

Shaferwhat? - I've given it some thought. A whole ten minutes worth. And here's what I think - Zombie Me, will likely share my identity. Except where I like Haribo, he'll like brains. Though I think the casual yet stylish dress-sense that I'm renowned for*, may go out the window.

-Andy

*This could be true...
Andy Smillie

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:59 pm

I don't know if you are flattering yourself into thinking you'll be the sort of zombie whose decision making isn't critically undermined by the desire for brains or if you are admitting to having a ravenous hunger for haribo that makes you violent and dangerous to haribo holders everywhere.

This calls for some science methinks. *makes a note to science Andy at BLL!*
schaferwhat‽

Postby Andy Smillie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:04 pm

Hey gang,

Sorry, it's been a while since I've gotten round to stopping by.

Just wanted to say a quick 'hi' and that I'm looking forward to meeting a bunch of you at BL live in a few weeks.

-Andy
Andy Smillie

Postby RuneGuard » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:26 pm

Hi

Ive just finished reading your flesh tearers novella Beneath the Flesh (great title by the way) and i must say that i enjoyed it very much, picturing an astartes with a eviscerator and slicing and dicing enemies up was great fun to read.

I really enjoyed your take on the flesh tearers, they always seemed to be on the cusp of losing control, especially Harahel and even their sergeant Barbelo seemed ready to have a go at his own men.

I hope to see more flesh tearers from you in the future, maybe even a full novel featuring Harahel, Maion and the other survivors? ;)

Thanks
RuneGuard

Postby Andy Smillie » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:03 pm

Hi RuneGuard,

I'm glad you enjoyed 'Beneath the Flesh'. And thanks for taking the time to let me know! When you spend all of your free time doing something, its nice to know that it was worth it.

The Flesh Tearers are a lot of fun to write about and there's plenty more to come for Harahel and co later this year ;-)

-Andy
Andy Smillie

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:09 pm

Hey Andy,

Listened to Deathwolf today and I had a couple questions:

Spoiler: 1. When Erik is about to assault the main Dark Eldar barge, there is heavy bolter fire from the hive street surface. Is that Thorolf? I ask because just prior we have a scene in which Thorolf "acquires" a Guard-issue heavy bolter and cuts down a few Dark Eldar with it.

2. Is Thorolf's story continued in Reparation? I didn't get the feeling that he was "dead" by the end of the audio.

Thanks in advance!!

Overall, I think it was a decent enough audio drama, although it should have spent more time on Erik IMO as he is the "titular" character. Would like to see more of him though, so if you have something in the works, that'd be great!
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Liliedhe » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:28 pm

Dont know if you are still reading this, but I recently reread Beneath the Flesh. First time I read it in H&B, I remember being totally confused by the end. Then I blamed it on the long delay between the two parts. But right now, after reading them back to back, I am still a bit confused.

Spoiler: actually, I wondered, from the beginning, if the guardsmen fighting the FT in the compound really were traitors. They sure sounded more like loyal guardsmen, hiding behind the lines on a planet falling to the archenemy. And they could not have killed the missing squad. Sure, there were lots of CSM around, but they had never been inside the compound, only breaching it now, during the story.

So, the obvious explanation - and seemingly explained by the recordings recovered from the planet - is that one of the FT succumbed to the rage, killed the others, mounted them like trophies... And then was killed by the Commissar with a plasma pistol.

And here we come my confusion... This doesnt really fit with what the squad finds in the story, where they only find 9 bodies and the one seperate from the others died differently. Also, the scenes in the recording look like the battles Maions squad is involved in... But how is that possible? And why would the Commissar destroy the pictrecorder?

"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors