ASK... ANDY SMILLIE

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

ASK... ANDY SMILLIE

Postby Squiggle » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:23 pm

Address all questions to ANDY SMILLIE in this thread.

PLEASE AVOID ANSWERING A QUESTION UNLESS THE AUTHOR HAS HAD A CHANCE TO DO IT FIRST!

Also, please note these are not general discussion threads. The clue's in the name.

Thanks.
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Re: ASK... Andy Smillie

Postby Andy Smillie » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:29 pm

Hello!

This is my first time on the boards, so I thought I'd swing by and say 'hello'. So, um, hello, again.

-Andy
Andy Smillie

Postby Erunanion » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:40 pm

Welcome to the abode of the damned... The damned good looking! Sarah asked me to tell that joke to all the new BL word-slaves.

Congratulations on entering that prestigious club of people that get paid to make up stories; you are the envy of us all :D
Check out my shiny new website, with genuine new-blog smell! - http://www.jonathandbeer.com

The Emperor's Mercy - Prologue - The first piece of fiction I've put up on the Bolthole's new incarnation.

"It is the 41st Millennium, and never underestimate the ability of the universe to infinitely screw you over." - Lord Lucan
Erunanion

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:52 pm

Welcome :)
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Vivia » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:00 pm

Welcome! Hope you like it here. :)
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Xisor » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:52 pm

Thanks to the startlingly potent powers of Facebook and my expert web of contacts, I noticed mention of "4,000 words to go", can you elaborate on the content of those 4,000 as-yet unwritten words? (And whether there's been progress made since.)

Also:
Welcome to the Bolthole!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Too many welcomes not enough questions.

Xisor puts the rest of you to shame.

Do you feel you've "made it" now that you're opening yourself to our relentless inquisition?
schaferwhat‽

Re: ASK... ANDY SMILLIE

Postby BL Graeme » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:59 pm

Questions:

1 - Why do you love Christian so much?
2 - As a Glaswegian, how difficult do you find it writing in a language that's not native to you, ie English.
3 - Did you steal my black sharpie again?

Cheers,
Graeme
BL Graeme

Postby Andy Smillie » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:39 pm

Argh, questions. I was good with the welcomes.

I'll start with 'BL Graeme', which btw stands for 'Big Loser'.
1. What's not to love?
2. Extremely, in fact, I think reviews of my work should have a 2 star minimum - a huge amount of effort went into learning how to write on something that didn't require a hammer and chisel.
3. Yes. Yes I did.

Schaferwhat? -
Made it? Hell no! At the moment I very much feel like I'm playing at being a writer.

Xisor -

Good Facebook-ing! Erm, it's a two-part 40k short featuring some Space Marines. There's a hell of a lot of shooty-death in it but it's kind of a mystery tale. Part 1 will be released in 2 months time in Hammer & Bolter, with part 2 the following month. The full story will also be available as an e-download.

I've written 1,000 words since then and should have it finished by the end of the week. I don't think I can say what it's about just yet, but if you apply your web-detective skills to the BL blog, you'll find me mentioning it in an interview a few months back...

Can I ask questions? Meh, I'm gonna anyway - are any of you coming to BL Live?

-Andy
Andy Smillie

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:51 pm

I'm trying to convince the bolthole to boycott BLL! My current strategy is to buy myself a ticket and one for another boltholer and not mention the idea of a boycott at all in the hope it will just happen. It is going well for now.

Follow up question:

When you "play at" being a writer do you put on special writing clothes, maybe something that isn't necessarily widely considered gender appropriate?
schaferwhat‽

Postby Andy Smillie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:32 pm

No. Unless of course it's Halloween, in which anything is possible.

I normally write in a hoody, then I can pull the hood up and hide if it all gets a bit much.

-Andy
Andy Smillie

Postby BL Graeme » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:43 pm

Disturbingly, all that Andy wears while writing is a hoodie.

Even when he's writing in the office on his lunchbreak. It's quite offputting. I mean, people are trying to eat.

"Big Loser" indeed... grumble mumble
BL Graeme

Postby Bane Of Kings » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:48 pm

Andy Smillie wrote:Can I ask questions? Meh, I'm gonna anyway - are any of you coming to BL Live?

If all goes to plan, then yes I should be, it'll be my first year as well, so I'll no doubt be wondering around like a headless chicken.

And on that note, I enjoyed your short Mountain Eater, great job.

I don't have a question to ask, by the way :P.
BOOK/FILM/GAME/TV REVIEWS
http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.co.uk/
"The Machine asked me to tell you something before we part. You once told John the whole point of Pandora’s box was that once you’ve opened it, you can’t close it again. She wanted me to remind you of how the story ends. When everything is over, when the worst has happened, there’s still one thing left in Pandora’s box: hope"
Bane Of Kings

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:49 pm

I'm hoping to make it as well. I have a ticket but I'm not sure what the situation will be at that time.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:30 pm

Bane Of Kings wrote:
Andy Smillie wrote: I'll no doubt be wondering around like a headless chicken.

That isn't how BLL! works, how BLL! works is that you frantically rush around as awesome assaults your every sense until you find the day is over and you are covered in blood you can't account for.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Andy Smillie » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Hey all,

Just blogged some details of the upcoming story I hinted at the other day. There's a tiny extract in there too.

http://asmileylife.wordpress.com/

-Andy
Andy Smillie

Postby Lord of the Night » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:13 pm

Hello Andy,

Can you tell us anything from facts to irritating cryptic hints about the trilogy of novels that you mention?

Gasp! Could it be... a Flesh Tearers series?!?!

Lord of the Night
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:07 pm

I'm presuming the pitch mentioned in the blog went well. Good work Andy, it may make up for the necromunda omnibus atrocity of Games Day.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Andy Smillie » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:23 pm

Hey gang,

What happened with the Necro omni Shafer? And, yeah, the pitch went well thanks.

Lord of the Night - I couldn't possibly comment. No really, my editor will kill me. He'd then somehow raise me up again (he has a zombie fetish) only to stave my head in with a shovel. Killed twice. No way.

-Andy
Andy Smillie

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:49 pm

I ordered a copy to be delivered to me for free Andy, that's what happened with the Necro Omni. A thrilling tale well concluded, could've done with some more sword fighting and perhaps a car chase to vary the pacing a bit but c'est la vie.

Concerning your response to LotN I have a follow up question,

Do you think that your reanimated zombie self shares the same identity as you? Will you be dying twice or will it be something else that happens to be making use of your now vacated and decaying body that is being killed the second time with a shovel?
schaferwhat‽

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors