Black Library Release Calendar

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: Black Library Release Calendar

Postby Fenris » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:51 pm

Considering the title above

- Watchers in Death

yeah,i guess the artwork fits as cover for that :D

Took the bullet and subscribed to the ebook offering last night,guess that will take the place of my annual "catch up with BL" christmas shopping spree (well,they didn't release much i'm interested in this year,Asurmen aside,so...)

Obviously,half an hour later the black friday news popped up and i'm left with no money for it
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby Dorian » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:59 pm

Fenris wrote:
I really loved his DW and was waiting for that

Same here. I hope it's not true but if it is, to say I'm disappointed would be an understatement. I mean he was talking about the writing process on FB for crying out loud. Why on earth would BL cancel it? It just doesn't make any sense. Excuse me while I go and cry into my pillow. :(
Wyrd bið ful aræd.

We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things.

If the world is at peace then it means someone is planning war.
Dorian

Postby revelation » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:14 am

The second DW novel being cancelled is a bummer. The novel and the accompanying shorts were really enjoyable.
revelation

Postby Fenris » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:49 am

Oh well,always intended to buy Herald of oblivion sooner or later...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/389850

...but didn't expect it in this form :lol:
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby reds8n » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:33 pm

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Total ... 1784964078

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Total ... 1784964054

reprints -- and deserved ones too.

Wonder if all the Old world/pre Age of Sigmar books will be labelled as such ?
reds8n

Postby Vivia » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:25 pm

Not sure where to put this.
I found the new Dan Abnett book at the SF Bokhandel:
http://www.sfbok.se/produkt/i-am-slaughter-145684
Surely, surely this isn't a real title? Surely someone is trolling us? I'm speechless. :lol:
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Major Rawne » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:43 pm

Vivia wrote:Not sure where to put this.
I found the new Dan Abnett book at the SF Bokhandel:
http://www.sfbok.se/produkt/i-am-slaughter-145684
Surely, surely this isn't a real title? Surely someone is trolling us? I'm speechless. :lol:

Quite real. Excellent start to the series too.
Major Rawne

Postby Vivia » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:54 am

Maybe they want to push the limit to what makes tasteful literature and at the same time troll test the fans to see how far they can go in order to buy an Abnett book. I suspect the future will judge them harshly. :)
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Fenris » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:56 am

Speaking of The beast arises...Any idea when they'll push out Predator,Prey?
-
Fenris

Postby Fenris » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:51 pm

-
Fenris

Postby revelation » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:16 am

Vivia wrote:Maybe they want to push the limit to what makes tasteful literature and at the same time troll test the fans to see how far they can go in order to buy an Abnett book. I suspect the future will judge them harshly. :)

I'm not quite done with the book, but it's thus far really good.

As far as the title. Why is it so funny to you or trollish? I don't get it.
revelation

Postby Vivia » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:46 pm

I was joking, I do think it's an extremely silly title, GW is well-known to incorporate tongue-in-cheek names such as Angron and the less ironical Shimmertarn (never forget).
But after giving it some real thought, I'm probably the only person that feels this way:

I have a problem with this title for a book that is considered pulp fiction. There are a lot of raw feelings after the terrorist attacks in Paris and I'm feeling less generous. The epithet of "butcher" is a real thing. Call me a bitter **** but I'm not feeling nice about it. And I'm fully aware books go on print months in advance and BL/GW couldn't possible known things would turn so awful.

Maybe I'll write a short email to them, let's see if I can muster up the energy. I don't think they care about this type of feedback any way.

I can't remember why I was putting this image, mainly for the lolz.
Vivia

Postby revelation » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:58 am

I'm not sure what the title of the novel has to do with the Paris attacks and I don't see how the title is even silly to begin with.

Not to be rude but, is English your first language? It's an honest question. Maybe something is being missed in translation? I recall you being Swedish? Is the phrase "I am Slaughter" translated into Swedish somehow strange or silly sounding?

Nice Billy Murray pic.

edit: To be fair there is an ironic twist involving the phrase in the novel, so maybe there's a little built in whimsy, but of course you wouldn't know that without reading the book. I think it's also worth mentioning that the "quirkiness" of the phrase has to do with the unique naming conventions that the Imperial Fists use in the novel. I personally think what Dan came up with is pretty cool.
revelation

Postby Vivia » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:54 pm

English isn't my first language. I have been a member here for 5 years and it comes up a lot. My latest posts in the WAYR thread are about Lovecraft and Tolkien in Swedish translation vs the original. I don't see how that makes me misunderstand the word slaughter. The Swedish word is similar, "slakta".

The power of words. People are different and they have different opinions based on religion, class, upbringing and education. People vastly differ on what makes something negative or positive.
A few years ago there was a short story titled Regicide. I found the word incredible amusing because of a Simpsons episode where Bart tries to dial the police. Springfield Police Department Rescue Phone. Was it silly? Yes. Did people get the humour? Probably not.

Another example of how people view things differently:
I have consciously postponed my reading of my beloved Lovecraft for a few months, even though I was getting to interesting places.
First, after the attacks I think it's better to move to lighter and fluffier reading. It's not a coincidence I'm reading Tolkien in order to recapture some rosy, childhood nostalgia.
Second, December is the darkest month in Scandinavia, with roughly 6 hours of light. Sometimes the darkness is oppressive. After what happened it feels like it's the darkest December in many years, there is a feeling of uneasy.

Yet others might find comfort in reading Lovecraft, horror and listening to death metal when things get rough (lately I have seen so many mentions of death metal and metal, maybe the universe is trying to tell me something). And unlike me they may live in a sunny place.

Then there are others that might not be affected at all by recent events and reading is the usual business.
All of these are valid reactions because people have different outlooks and opinions in life. We don't all enjoy the same things.
Vivia

Postby Duke_Leto » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:25 pm

revelation wrote:I'm not quite done with the book, but it's thus far really good.

Half way through and really enjoying it too. Should probably put this in the spoiler section but no one posts there anymore...

Spoiler: Loving the political intrigue and insight into the government etc.

Really had a smile at the Inspector Closeau reference page 60-62

Duke_Leto

Postby revelation » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:33 pm

@Vivia

Thanks for the context. I understand now. Yeah, I agree people see & feel differently about words and phrases depending on their environments. The reason I asked whether English was your first language or not is that often times bilingual people can see particular phrases in a completely different light given how that phrase might translate in the other language they speak. It might sound odd or lose its meaning. Seems like that isn't the case in this instance though, rather just your personal feeling about it given the events in France, the weather in Scandinavia, etc.

@Duke_Leto

I just finished it last night. It's a great start to the series. I really love what Dan did with the Imperial Fists &

Spoiler: like you said, the political intrigue involving the High Lords is great.

Is their a precedent for the naming conventions used, wall names, in previous fluff or is this another Dan Abnett innovation?

revelation

Postby Fenris » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:16 am

As resident IF nerd

Spoiler: the wall names and all that are pure Abnettism

I want the second one already >.<

P.s: the Garro thing above will be out on the 30th,it was in one of the BL newsfeeds of last week
-
Fenris

Postby revelation » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:24 am

Fenris wrote:As resident IF nerd

Spoiler: the wall names and all that are pure Abnettism

I want the second one already >.<

P.s: the Garro thing above will be out on the 30th,it was in one of the BL newsfeeds of last week

Thanks. I've always appreciated Dan's unique take on various SM Chapters and other Imperial factions. He's good at making stuff cooler.

As far as future releases...I'm looking forward to Guy Haley's HH novel.
revelation

Postby Fenris » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:28 am

As expected,day 25 of the advent calendar is

Also...That...

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/the-librarium.html

:roll:
-
Fenris

Postby Major Rawne » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:35 am

Fenris wrote:As expected,day 25 of the advent calendar is

Also...That...

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/the-librarium.html

:roll:

But that isn't day 25, it's just an Xmas day release. They cheaped out on 25 this year. If I remember correctly last year 25 was Khan and the World Engine was the Xmas release.

However the Librarium looks interesting and provided they are novels should be a reasonable deal. I can't however justify it at the moment with my backlog and pace of reading, I'd probably still have like 10 of them to read this time next year.
Major Rawne

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events