Black Library Release Calendar

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: Black Library Release Calendar

Postby revelation » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:30 pm

Shaggy wrote:ADB writing Space Wolves? I need a bib, the drool is going everywhere! :lol:

Seriously... it will be interesting to see ADB's take on them, after the game-changer that was "Prospero Burns" - noting that Chris Wraight chose to write them from the 'new' perspective in "Battle Of The Fang".

ADB's take on them in The Emperor's Gift & Howl of the Hearth World was pretty rad.
revelation

Postby Xisor » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:35 pm

Shaggy wrote:ADB writing Space Wolves? I need a bib, the drool is going everywhere! :lol:

Seriously... it will be interesting to see ADB's take on them, after the game-changer that was "Prospero Burns" - noting that Chris Wraight chose to write them from the 'new' perspective in "Battle Of The Fang".

For what it's worth, PB and ATS hadn't been written/finished when Wraight wrote BotF. If memory serves, he had a couple of chats with them, and knowledge that they were happening, but I think that's about it.
Admin of Ruin
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby revelation » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:53 pm

Xisor wrote:

For what it's worth, PB and ATS hadn't been written/finished when Wraight wrote BotF. If memory serves, he had a couple of chats with them, and knowledge that they were happening, but I think that's about it.

I recall Chris Wraight talking about being directly influenced by Dan's take on the Wolves though. I'll try to dig up the interview, blog post, whatever it was.
revelation

Postby Fenris » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:53 pm

Now i'm confused

From the "summer of reading" list regarding the last that should come out
Day Seven: The Battle of Tallarn takes to the skies as the Imperial Fists step in.

Didn't they say back a few weekenders ago that they'd remove the IF from Tallarn since having them away from Terra in force after Phall made no sense story-wise in the new HH?

:?

Unless they are talking of the 2nd battle of Tallarn but that doesn't seem likely
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby Dorian » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:11 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:
http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-4 ... ne-le.html

BLACKMANE IS BACK!! And after seeing this image, I think I get why some people in 40k are scared of the Vlka Fenryka. :shock:

LotN

Soooo beautiful.

So one of my favourite authors is writing about my favourite Chapter and one of my favourite characters ... and it turns out to be a freaking limited edition novel?!?!?!?! There goes my enthusiasm. I think BL is doing it on purpose, they are out to torture me. It seems all I do is wait for books to be released as paperbacks these days. :(
Wyrd bið ful aræd.

We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things.

If the world is at peace then it means someone is planning war.
Dorian

Postby Rob P » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:15 pm

ADB has recently announced that he's working on Master of Mankind. No release date yet (sorry for defeating the point of the thread).

Was this originally set to be penned by ADB? Thought it was originally someone else.

Subtitled - The War in the Webway

I'm certainly looking forward to this (as with the rest of the HH stuff). Only complaint is the speed at which the stuff is churned out.
Rob P

Postby revelation » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:55 pm

Rob, I vaguely remember it being Dan Abnett who was going to write that. My memory could be off. Dan seems so busy with other projects maybe he needed to hand something off to another author.

Btw, has anyone purchased the new limited edition? Given the lack of exclusive additional internal artwork, I'm not sure it's worth the steep price for me personally. I'm definitely going to pick it up when it comes out in a different format though.
revelation

Postby Rob P » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:04 pm

revelation wrote:Rob, I vaguely remember it being Dan Abnett who was going to write that. My memory could be off. Dan seems so busy with other projects maybe he needed to hand something off to another author.

That's what I thought too.

Btw, has anyone purchased the new limited edition? Given the lack of exclusive additional internal artwork, I'm not sure it's worth the steep price for me personally. I'm definitely going to pick it up when it comes out in a different format though.

I haven't but I don't buy into the LE thing. I'm not excited by Space Wolves as a selling point, but i'm sure it will be popular (being an ADB book). Likewise, I'll get a cheaper version.
Rob P

Postby Xisor » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:54 pm

I'm well excited for Master of Mankind. To my mind it's always been ADB who was intending it.

I know Chris' The Sigillite was edging in that direction (and at BLL last year, he commented that he felt he maybe should have pushed for Malcador's first major outing to have been a bit more... epic, also a novel), which is tangentially related and might have introduced confusion.

Otherwise, Abnett had long been said to be penning Dreadwing - so over time the two might have fused or inverted in folks' minds.

Anyway, I still think the subtitle should be "Beyond the Golden Throne".
Admin of Ruin
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Lord of the Night » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:25 pm

How about "War Beyond The Golden Throne"?

Very excited about Master of Mankind. An up close look at the Emperor, the Custodes, the Imperial Palace, and more. And by ADB at that? Hell yes.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Xisor » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:41 pm

As It is, Beyond the Golden Throne would work as, at least, a triple entendre, of sorts.
1- the life of the Emperor beyond his role as 'merely' Master of Mankind
2- literally, beyond the golden throne is the webway in which a secret war is happening
3- the Throne and the Web way might still only be 'parts' of the plan, what was intended to happen beyond them, further down the line

Also, it's the name of probably the second biggest revelatory passage in HH:CV - why the Emperor went back to Earth and stayed during the Heresy, why he didn't appreciate Magnus' actions as he did. (The biggest reveal, I'd say, was killing off Ferrus. The third was the picture 'Ulla, Doom of Heroes'.)
Admin of Ruin
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Shaggy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:32 pm

Xisor wrote:I'm well excited for Master of Mankind. To my mind it's always been ADB who was intending it.

To the best of my knowledge, that's exactly right. I think it was the second Horus Heresy Weekender that ADB said he was going to be writing this... that's about 18 months ago, I think. Will have to go back and check the notes, but yes - as far as I'm aware, it was always going to be ADB doing this one. No complaints from me... to my mind, he's one of the top few of the BL writers.

Edited to add:-

Here we go... yes, it was HH Weekender 2, in May 2014. The specific notes on this subject were:-
ADB's next HH novel is due to be "Master Of Mankind" which isn't started yet (think he's a bit behind?) - about the Emperor and the Webway War. NOT going to tell this from the Emperor's perspective... not getting inside his head. Going to be told from the perspective of people from all levels of Imperial/Palace society... Astartes, Custodes (I think!), functionaries... right down to a servitor (yes, he said that!). Will be a fair bit of the actual fighting of the Webway War - including a bunch of Space Wolves, and a Blood Angel commander type who is going to seriously KATN (Kick A**e & Take Names).
Said was going to ask Neil Roberts to do a cover picture like the old one of the Emperor standing in sort of heroic pose on a mound of bodies - really liked the image... I asked him if that would really be the best, seeing as the Emperor is unlikely to be personally fighting - so maybe a picture of him standing on the battlements of the Imperial Palace looking out... seemed to like that idea.
In defeat, malice.
In victory, revenge.

My lifeform type is tee tee hatch nex ool
Shall we do rishathra?
Shaggy

Postby Rob P » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:21 pm

Yeah, my mistake. It appears ADB mentioned this as early as 2012!

Xisor wrote: (The biggest reveal, I'd say, was killing off Ferrus. The third was the picture 'Ulla, Doom of Heroes'.)

What/what is the third one?
Rob P

Postby Xisor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:00 am

Rob P wrote:Yeah, my mistake. It appears ADB mentioned this as early as 2012!

Xisor wrote: (The biggest reveal, I'd say, was killing off Ferrus. The third was the picture 'Ulla, Doom of Heroes'.)

What/what is the third one?

Early in HH:CV you get to know about Garro (Hero of Isstvan) and his adventures, and him getting the mark of the Sigillite :

Later, you see some lovely plane-armoured warriors who seem to be wearing unadorned Custodian-style power Armour fighting a daemon in a picture called 'Ulla, Doom of Heroes', with the most prominent figure bearing a big stylised eagle on his chest.

Leaping to conclusions: Garro is the First Grey Knight. (Though obviously it is a touch more complex than that, the chain of symbolism is revealed to be there.)

So there we were: Garro the Grey Knight.
Admin of Ruin
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby reds8n » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:58 am

reds8n

Postby Xisor » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:57 am

Alaxxes? I dimly recall Herr Wraight being mentioned in connection with a... novella? Wouldn't it be nice if they'd blindsided us with a honking great novel on the topic?

A man can dream.
Admin of Ruin
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Fenris » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:34 pm

Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby Lord of the Night » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:25 pm

*Sigh*

It's becoming obvious that Black Library's focus has shifted from novels to novellas and eshorts. A shame really, neither of the latter are worth the prices they ask, while the former were worth it 99% of the time.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Xisor » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:24 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:*Sigh*

It's becoming obvious that Black Library's focus has shifted from novels to novellas and eshorts. A shame really, neither of the latter are worth the prices they ask, while the former were worth it 99% of the time.

Well, there's quibbling on particulars, but I still vividly recall the delight of, on a whim, picking up one of the Storm of Magic novellas. Hell of a thing

Similarly, even their worst anthology is great value for me. Even paying £12 on an anthology wouldn't be so bad at all.

But as they are currently? I think the kids once upon a time called it a "buzzkill".
Admin of Ruin
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Fenris » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:07 pm

Xisor wrote:
Lord of the Night wrote:*Sigh*

Well, there's quibbling on particulars, but I still vividly recall the delight of, on a whim, picking up one of the Storm of Magic novellas. Hell of a thing

Dragonmage was glorious

That said,i'm not even against BL going full novella crazy....If only they could price them in a way that wouldnt end in me thinking " i cant really justify buying this one" every single time
-
Fenris

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events