Black Library Release Calendar

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: Black Library Release Calendar

Postby Xisor » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:19 pm

Major Rawne wrote:
Xisor wrote:I've only read the first GG (thanks, Vivia!) but am seriously considering trying to get through the rest in the run up to it...

For shame one you! However BL have you covered with the first 3 in Hardback. Which by chance has accidentally slipped into the basket, then checkout and before I knew it I had bought it.

Yes, it's funny how that sort of thing happens...

hi-res for the snoopers
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Duke_Leto » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:41 am

Xisor wrote:
Duke_Leto wrote:
reds8n wrote:http://www.blacklibrary.com/warmaster-remind-me.html

warmaster Dec 2017 8-)

AWESOME NEWS!!!!

I've only read the first GG (thanks, Vivia!) but am seriously considering trying to get through the rest in the run up to it...

Xisor :shock:

Seriously you need to pick up the whole series (inc the two anthologies and a Double Eagle and Titanicus) because they really are amongst the best things BL have ever published.

There is also a lot of pleasure to be had by such a long running series and being able to really become invested in the characters. You actually care and there are some real shocks in store.

Each of the books also do a fabulous job of world building and presenting the 40k universe at a human scale rather than transhuman scale.

With the news of Warmaster (and hopefully therefore Urdesh) I am seriously considering re reading the entire GG series again in preparation (not sure how I will have time amongst all the other great releases for 2017). Be cool to go on that journey together (though I am probably a slower reader than you)
Duke_Leto

Postby Fenris » Fri May 26, 2017 11:40 pm

So,the fluff regarding Baal in the "new" universe of 40k from the next edition books has leaked

Seems the title of the next BA book from BL is quite literal...

Also,they confirmed Black legion 2,the book about Lucius and a new inquisition audio for August
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby Athelassan » Sun May 28, 2017 12:48 pm

re: Gaunt's Ghosts - I still think First and Only is the best in the series that I've read. It's somewhat atypical in that the Tanith are, well, Imperial Guardsmen, rather than the uberl33t superhumans they tend towards later, and it's also one which revolves quite heavily around the personal history of one of the main characters. That, for me, gave it a depth which most of the later ones didn't have, even if it wasn't as plausible*. I thought Ghostmaker was, on the whole, pretty bad. Necropolis is also pretty decent and I enjoyed Honour Guard.

The next three books are ok but it's also the point at which some of the Tanith simply stop becoming credible Imperial Guard characters. Although MkVenner had been mentioned previously, I think, he starts to get more screen time in Guns of Tanith and a few of the other characters start to become stretched too. There's also an irritating addiction to the shock ending where he seems compelled to finish every book by killing off a major character and then leaving any denouement to that until the next installment.

Traitor General seemed thoroughly self-indulgent, and really dispensed with any beating around the bush that anyone but the main characters had any importance, by removing most of the main characters from their regimental context. This includes most of the officer cadre: the rest of the regiment is just going to run itself under a hastily-promoted sergeant until they get back, I guess. And then His Last Command was the point I had enough of the series, a book where the normal principles of 40K will bend themselves around the main characters' indestructability, and where characters will literally sacrifice their own lives to avoid causing them any inconvenience.

Obviously some folks continued to enjoy it after that, though, but for me it had jumped the shark a while previously. If you can get out before that, it's not a bad series. Ghostmaker though really is atrocious, I think. I would skip the first story altogether, as it adds nothing of value to the backstory of the Ghosts described in First and Only and if anything detracts from it. The last story should probably be read for continuity purposes, although it's ridiculous. The remaining ones are character focus pieces which are mediocre at best.

*fsvo "plausible"; this is 40K after all.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Fenris » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:30 pm

Will probably get this one,as soon as i put together the order for the rules side of things
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:51 pm

Dark Imperium is definitely a good book and paints a good picture of the Primaris despite some of their inherent tackiness.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Fenris » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:35 am

Last edited by Fenris on Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Fenris

Postby Fenris » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:12 pm

And more september releases announced

-
Fenris

Postby Fenris » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:58 pm

November

*Space marines conquests*

*8th BRB described the events on Baal as "BA and all their successor chapters are almost wiped out to a man and are saved by demons wanting to avoid having their sworn enemies wiped out by someone else" *

I think the meaning of conquest is a bit lost here
-
Fenris

Postby Duke_Leto » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:48 pm

Space Marine Conquests is the replacement series (following the timeline/shift for 8th edition) for Space Marine Battles... Or at least I think it is.

As you point out...CONQUESTS seems an odd choice of title as it implies the acquisition of new territory, a crusade, a victory etc. I think the BL marketing guys wanted an exciting sounding name but I expect them to be stretching the actual meaning of the word a bit!

Wouldn't Space Marine Conflicts have been a better replacement title for Battles?
Duke_Leto

Postby Fenris » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:24 pm

It lives.
In december.
-
Fenris

Postby Fenris » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:39 pm

It’s been fifteen years since rogue Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn last appeared in a novel of his own, and five since his appearance in Pariah, the first book in a sequel trilogy that brings him together with his old acolyte Gideon Ravenor. So how did The Magos come about? Here’s Dan Abnett himself to shed some light:

“The Magos is a brand new Eisenhorn novel… and one I didn’t expect to write. This epic volume gathers together all the Eisenhorn short stories that have appeared over the years, several of which haven’t been in print before. But it’s not just an anthology for completists. There’s an entire, new, full-length novel here too, one which ties together many elements from those short stories to become the unexpected fourth book in what was previously the Eisenhorn trilogy. Hunting for heresy in the remote worlds of the Imperium, Gregor Eisenhorn must confront the truth about himself: who is the real heretic? And, in this life-or-death struggle, who is the hunter and who is the hunted? Essential reading for all fans of the Eisenhorn and Ravenor series.” – Dan
-
Fenris

Postby Lord of the Night » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:39 am

http://www.blacklibrary.com/coming-soon/january

January releases are confirmed! 2018 looks to be starting off very well with two Primarchs releases, LE Ferrus Manus: The Gorgon of Medusa and the regular hardback of Fulgrim: The Palatine Phoenix. A brand new Alpha Legion novel titled Sons of the Hydra by Rob Sanders gets my vote for best release (with a protagonist called Occam the Untrue it sounds like it will be brilliantly mind-bending), and the second Castellan Crowe novel, titled Castellan by David Annandale, takes Crowe and the Grey Knights into the Dark Millennium. A new Rogue Trader audio from James Swallow rounds off the new releases quite nicely.

And there's reprints as well. The original Warhammer Vampire Wars trilogy by Steven Savile is available again as an omnibus with a rather awesome depiction of Vlad von Carstein on the cover, and the Rogue Trader trilogy by Andy Hoare is finally available once more (and I only just two months ago bought the separate books off eBay...)

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:51 am

A host of books coming in 2018 have been leaked by Amazon.com and it's more and more looking like 2018 is going to be a damn good year!

Firstly we have three omnibus re-releases in the Warhammer Chronicles range that reveal the series is going to be more than just the Time of Legends repackaged, in fact classic Warhammer series will also be re-released. Matthias Thulmann and Ulrika the Vampire are among the first, the former being one of the best series Black Library ever released for Warhammer and one I would strongly recommend! Also The War of Vengeance trilogy will be available once again, which i'll definitely be getting as I was never able to get a copy of Master of Dragons.

Next is the start of a third AoS series from Josh Reynolds, the man's a machine, but this time focused around Nagash and the Realm of Death titled Soul Wars. And from the sound of it Nagash is still an arrogant bastard, but we'd have him no other way.

Soul Wars wrote:Nagash revives an ancient grudge with the God-King Sigmar as a ferocious new war between the living and the dead shakes the Mortal Realms.

The Mortal Realms tremble with unending war. In Shyish, the Realm of Death, an ancient evil stirs, sensing opportunity. Nagash, the Undying King and God of Death, sets his gaze upon the citadels of the living and the servants of Sigmar, the God-King of Azyr. Allies once, joined together against the machinations of the Ruinous Powers, the two gods now find themselves enemies. Nagash, burning with the need to avenge an ancient slight, calls forth his soulless legions to sweep across the realm he claims as his own and reassert death’s dominion over all things, as the War of Heaven and Death begins anew.

Then the second book in the new Space Marine Conquests series, War of Secrets by Phil Kelly, which now we can be sure is designed to take Space Marines Battles into the Dark Millennium and 8th Edition, given that this book features Primaris Marines, and i'm quite interested in this one (albeit wary of the author) as it looks to revolve around an important question. How have the Dark Angels incorporated the Primaris into the Hunt? It also looks as if we'll be seeing some of the Tau from the ill-fated Fourth Sphere Expansion, and these ones haven't been doing too well.

War of Secrets wrote:In the shadow of the Great Rift, Primaris Marines fight alongside the Dark Angels against the t'au, but as whole worlds burn, a terrible psychic curse is unleashed.

Lieutenant Xedro Farren is a Primaris Marine, stronger and more adept than even the Space Marines his brotherhood has been sent to fight alongside. As he and his Primaris brethren support the Dark Angels in fighting a trauma-scarred force of t’au seemingly hellbent on destroying their own allies, their true quarry soon becomes clear: the shadowy instigator of a psychic curse that could plunge a string of Imperial planets into madness. As worlds burn in the fires of battle, an unthinkable pact is struck, and Lieutenant Farren begins to peel back layer after layer of deceit to discover an appalling truth. Can he hope to emerge from this web of lies without losing his honour – or come to that, his life?

The Primarchs series will also continue with the next release being Jaghatai Khan: Warhawk of Chogoris by Chris Wraight, and this one will explore one of the biggest surprises of the Horus Heresy (at least for me), the Khan's part in founding the Librarius Program. Wraight has done a stellar job writing the Khan in the main series and it's good to see that he gets to further that character by looking at him during the Great Crusade and at one of the events that nobody really expected the Khan to have a part in, perhaps because we all shared the in-universe perspective of him as a barbarian.

Jaghatai Khan: Warhawk of Chogoris wrote:As the Great Crusade burns across the stars, the primarch of the White Scars, Jaghatai Khan, must decide where his true allegiance lies.

Ever since the Imperium's rediscovery of the world of Chogoris, the White Scars' culture of warrior mysticism has sat uneasily with the ideals of Unity. As the Great Crusade burns across the stars, their enigmatic primarch Jaghatai Khan fights to preserve his Legion's distinctiveness amid a galaxy where cold rationality holds sway. Despite his self-imposed isolation, others in the brotherhood of primarchs seek to draw him into the greatest ideological battle of them all: the place of psychic power within the Legions. As the Librarius project is born, and opposition to it grows, the Khan must decide where his greatest allegiance lies – to the Imperial Truth, or to his own heritage.

It seems there will also be a series of novellas released in the summer as part of the Summer of Reading, and while three of them are re-releases of the classic novellas Sin of Damnation by Gav Thorpe, Assault on Black Reach by Nick Kyme, as well as newer releases including City of Secrets by Nick Horth and Wolf King by Chris Wraight, two of them appear to be brand new. The first is Crusade by Andy Clark and looks to be set in 8th edition and features Ultramarines vs the Death Guard, while the second is titled Hammerhal by Josh Reynolds and features the Hallowed Knights Stormchamber fighting against an invasion of Tzaangors.

Crusade wrote:On the world of Kalides Prime, an Ultramarines strike force of Primaris Space Marines battles to thwart the machinations of the plague-ridden Death Guard.

New-forged sons of the primarch Roboute Guilliman, the Primaris Ultramarines are peerless warriors whose sworn duty is to protect mankind from the predations of the xenos and the foul traitors of the Heretic Astartes. In a galaxy riven by eternal war, they and the other armies of the Imperium are all that stand between mankind and damnation... Their ship damaged by warp storms, the Ultramarines of Strike Force Cassian make for Kalides Prime. Here they hope to find safe harbour to repair their craft before rejoining the Indomitus Crusade. Instead, the Primaris Space Marines discover a world reduced to rot and ruin by the plague-ridden warriors of the Death Guard.

Hammerhal wrote:The Stormcast Eternals of the Hallowed Knights must uncover the mystery of the Hexwood before it brings the great city of Hammerhal to ruin.

Dark forces stir within the bowers of the mysterious Hexwood. A great warhost of tzaangor beastkin, creatures devoted to the Chaos god Tzeentch, defile the once-verdant lands of Ghyran. All that opposes them are the Stormcast Eternals of the Hallowed Knights, noble warriors reforged in resplendent sigmarite and wielding the lightning of Azyr. But Tzeentch's followers are cunning, and as the Hallowed Knights wage bloody war in the forests, a secret and potentially ruinous attack on the great city of Hammerhal, which the Stormcasts are oath-sworn to protect, is about to begin. Both the warriors without and the hunters within the city must act fast, or the truth about the Hexwood will be the undoing of the Twin-tailed City.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Fenris » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:16 pm

So,according to what i've seen in Weekenders reports,we are going to get Gotrek into AoS

Not exactly sure how it will work,since

Spoiler: he was supposed to be the Grimnir that survived the World,and that same Grimnir exploded in pieces way before the AoS according to new lore...

-
Fenris

Postby Athelassan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:22 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:A brand new Alpha Legion novel titled Sons of the Hydra by Rob Sanders gets my vote for best release

How can you decide what the best release is when you haven't read any of them?!
And there's reprints as well. The original Warhammer Vampire Wars trilogy by Steven Savile is available again as an omnibus with a rather awesome depiction of Vlad von Carstein on the cover

Alas, I fear the author would not approve. He was very negative about the new look of the von Carsteins when the miniature range got its redesign.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:23 pm

The dissonance between the Vampires as described in the books and the Vampire on the cover is sort of nice though.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:31 am

schaferwhat‽ wrote:The dissonance between the Vampires as described in the books and the Vampire on the cover is sort of nice though.

I think I'd go with the version based on the John Blanche art. But also, I'm pretty sure vampires can change clothes and put on armour like other humanoids, so the idea of there being one defining image is sort of bogus anyway.

Cheers,

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Major Rawne » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:45 pm

The Black Library Advent Calendar 2017 has now begun!

Below is the list currently up on the Subscription page as to what we will be getting. Obviously I assume that this will be updated with actual titles as we go along. Looks like a lot of fun to be had.

Day 1: Perturabo: Stone and Iron by Robbie MacNiven
Day 2: A Warhammer 40,000 Quick Read by Chris Wraight
Day 3: A Warhammer Age of Sigmar audio drama by David Annandale
Day 4: A Horus Heresy Quick Read by Guy Haley
Day 5: A Warhammer 40,000 audio drama by John French
Day 6: A Warhammer Age of Sigmar Quick Read by David Guymer
Day 7: A Horus Heresy Quick Read by Chris Wraight
Day 8: A Warhammer 40,000 audio drama by Andy Smillie
Day 9: A Horus Heresy Quick Read by John French
Day 10: A Warhammer Age of Sigmar Quick Read by C L Werner
Day 11: A Warhammer 40,000 audio drama by Ben Counter
Day 12: A Horus Heresy Quick Read by Nick Kyme
Day 13: A Warhammer Age of Sigmar Quick Read by Nick Horth
Day 14: A Primarchs audio drama by L J Goulding
Day 15: A Warhammer 40,000 Quick Read by Justin D Hill
Day 16: A Warhammer Age of Sigmar audio drama by David Guymer
Day 17: A Warhammer 40,000 Quick Read by Robbie MacNiven
Day 18: A Warhammer 40,000 audio drama by C Z Dunn
Day 19: A Warhammer Age of Sigmar Quick Read by Josh Reynolds
Day 20: A Warhammer 40,000 Quick Read by Gav Thorpe
Day 21: A Warhammer Age of Sigmar Quick Read by David Annandale
Day 22: A Primarchs audio drama by Ian St Martin
Day 23: A Horus Heresy Quick Read by Gav Thorpe
Day 24: A Warhammer Age of Sigmar audio drama by Guy Haley
Major Rawne

Postby Fenris » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:59 pm

Too much IF realted stuff to buy this time :D
-
Fenris

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events