What Are You Reading?

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Xisor » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:54 pm

I've been knocking along with "Eye of Medusa". It's *really* good. Easily the closest to 'hard' SF that I think 40k has come in a long while.

Mad concepts being bandied about. Like music, kissing. Insane.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Major Rawne » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:28 am

So Dante was magnificent all told. Really got to the core of who he is and is also a nice little segway into Devastation of Baal if I'm not mistaken.

Whilst I've started Atlas Infernal I'm of a mind to dip into Dark Imperium. We'll see, probably stick with what I've started.
Major Rawne

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:14 pm

Finished Gilder Rift. Loved the battle between Prognosticator Brand and Red Corsair Taemar. Epic and would look cool in a movie or video game (Went back to read the battle a few times. It was that good.) I think we need a Badab War novel series. However I do have on my shelf that I never read Imperial Armour Volume 9 and 10 - The Badab War Part 1 and 2.

Currently Re-reading The Talon Of Horus – by the Great Aaron Dembski-Bowden. Amazing as always. I’m intrigued to actually get a story or the actual moment when Iskandar Kayon made Magnus kneel before Abaddon. That would be surreal and I’m getting shivers thinking about it. Dark Eldar Nefertari is a winged Eldar?!? I looked this up and it sounded like that this Xenos species is extinct?!? Not sure if they truly are but I like the fact that they seem fairylike yet evil.

Well at Part 2 of the book when they search for Abaddon.

Cheers
Aristedes Colettas

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:06 pm

Dangerous Visions 3, edited by Harlan Ellison.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Lord of the Night » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:33 pm

Aristedes Colettas wrote:Dark Eldar Nefertari is a winged Eldar?!? I looked this up and it sounded like that this Xenos species is extinct?!? Not sure if they truly are but I like the fact that they seem fairylike yet evil.

She's a Scourge, but she carries the weapons of a Wych and Incubus. http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Scourge

Reading With Blood Upon the Sand by Bradley P. Beaulieu at the moment, a weighty tome but one that i'm enjoying thus far. Though it's tricky to really find the time at the moment to sit down and give a book this size the attention it deserves.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:40 pm

Finished Talon Of Horus. I want a novel focusing on Abaddon getting the Daemon Primarch’s to pledge their allegiance to his cause. Especially when Magnus kneeled before Abaddon. :o

Now reading drum roll please the long awaited Black Legion – by once again the Great Aaron Dembski-Bowden. So far so good about 30 pages into it. I don’t know what paper they used but this book is heavy – Sheesh.

Cheers
Aristedes Colettas

Postby Major Rawne » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:26 pm

Aristedes Colettas wrote:I don’t know what paper they used but this book is heavy – Sheesh.

That's not paper...
Major Rawne

Postby Rob P » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:13 pm

Finished Jeffery Deaver's The Empty Chair. I'm so impressed with this guy. The plots are clever, the pacing is fast, and they resolve in a satisfactory way.

Not sure what i'm reading next but it may be number 4 in the series.
Rob P

Postby Xisor » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:11 pm

Yep, Eye of Medusa was extraordinary. Some of the best 40k SF I've read. Dense too, reflecting on it feels like there were a dozen books within it.

---

Now on "Warlord" from earlier this year. I like Annadale's work, and I think I'm massively preferring his non-Astartes stuff. Really keen to check out his Yarrick books now too.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Major Rawne » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:11 am

Finished the the marvelously odd Atlas Infernal last night. Time to get stuck wholeheartedly into Pandorax now, which has so far been rather different that I expected. No Space Marines as yet. Though a wonderful little bit with peoples knowledge of the Inquisition.
Major Rawne

Postby Squiggle » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:08 pm

Did you rate Atlas Infernal? I have it on my list to re-read but then I do love a bit of Rob Sanders take on 40k.

Currently reading Nemesis by James Swallow, cos I am so up to date with the Heresy series... great book so far. One of the great things about the HH series is the glimpses of pre-Heresy 40k when everything is pink and fluffy...
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Major Rawne » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:13 pm

Squiggle wrote:Did you rate Atlas Infernal? I have it on my list to re-read but then I do love a bit of Rob Sanders take on 40k

I certainly rate it. It's wonderfully wacky and does chaos brilliantly.
Major Rawne

Postby Duke_Leto » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:37 pm

Major Rawne wrote:
Squiggle wrote:Did you rate Atlas Infernal? I have it on my list to re-read but then I do love a bit of Rob Sanders take on 40k

I certainly rate it. It's wonderfully wacky and does chaos brilliantly.

Different folks n strokes but I hated it. Really hated it. Felt like I was reading a Dr Who story full of dues ex machine in almost every other chapter.

But that's just my opinion :geek:
Duke_Leto

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:10 pm

Now rereading -after initially reading it far too young to properly appreciate it- The Silmarillion, JRR Tolkien.

Just to add my two penny's worth, I rather enjoyed Atlas Infernal. Isn't there a sequel? I would certainly like to read it if so.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:17 pm

Oh no it’s finished…. :cry: Just finished Black Legion. Amazing and I have to say 9.5 out of 10. Loved the Warp Ghosts. Would have like to seen more of the battle between Abaddon and Sigismond in detail.

Now can’t wait for the next installment and the First Black Crusade. In my estimation will probably not see that one until 2020! :?

Now back to the Horus Heresy for a spell. Reading The Honoured by Rob Sanders.

Cheers
Aristedes Colettas

Postby Pyroriffic » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:58 pm

Aristedes Colettas wrote:Finished Gilder Rift. Loved the battle between Prognosticator Brand and Red Corsair Taemar. Epic and would look cool in a movie or video game (Went back to read the battle a few times. It was that good.) I think we need a Badab War novel series. However I do have on my shelf that I never read Imperial Armour Volume 9 and 10 - The Badab War Part 1 and 2.

Thank you for the nice words, am super-glad you enjoyed it. :)
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby Major Rawne » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:28 am

Pandorax is a hard slog of stupid upon stupid. There are good moments, then you turn the page and facepalm. Anyway i'm almost finished so the torture will soon be over.

Next up I think i'll get on to Seventh Retribution.
Major Rawne

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:29 pm

Finished reading The Honoured. Anyone know if there are still Word Bearers in Calth’s underground left during M41/42?

Staying with the Horus Heresy, Reading The Unburdened by David Annandale.

Cheers
Aristedes Colettas

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:02 am

The Inquisition War omnibus, Ian Watson. A reread.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Xisor » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:51 pm

I finished Warlord recently; I didn't hugely care for it. Fairly nice characters and some incredible cinematic sequences, so I didn't begrudge reading it, but at the same time it didn't tickle my fancy.

In a mild change of tone, and in some excitement for Annadale's Ruinstorm (e.g. back to Horus Heresy), I'm re-reading Flight of the Eisenstein. It's terrific, as usual. It's thrilling. And cosy. Not genuinely cosy, but so familiar an evocative. It's heartbreaking, and also fairly light.

So I'll hopefully get to Garro soon!
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events