What Are You Reading?

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Rob P » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:27 am

Reading Harry Dewulf's Edit Ready on Kindle Unlimited.

It's too comprehensive for me to do a rundown in the writing advice post, but it feels like quality advice. Definitely one of the better nuts and bolts ones I've read so far and only 1/3 in.

It's regularly updated on kindle so probably worth the £7 odd investment when my kindle unlimited is up.
Rob P

Postby ViaVirtus » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:15 pm

Lets see... I am currently reading:

* Path of the Eldar
* Dark Imperium
* Sons of the Hydra
* Space Wolf

As well as listening to Talon of Horus on audiobook when I'm at work.

Busy, busy, bee...
ViaVirtus / Matthew Mevis
"Editor of the volunteer program yet to be named that works with storyline."
-- Nathan Richardsson, Eternal Crusade Sr. Producer
"I Fight For The Users!"​
ViaVirtus

Postby Rob P » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:56 pm

That's a good range, ViaVirtus.

Any of them sticking out as being particularly top of the pile?
Rob P

Postby ViaVirtus » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:55 pm

Rob P wrote:That's a good range, ViaVirtus.

Any of them sticking out as being particularly top of the pile?

They are each being read for different reasons, though the two I'm reading for enjoyment are Space Wolf and Sons of the Hydra. Reading Sons and watching the main character's mind work is wicked fun and an exercise in 'out of the box' thinking. Space Wolf is because I love the mythic/Saga-like nature of the Fenrisian mentality; the notion that every footfall of the Rout treads a path of mystical significance.

I'm helping the video game Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade update their background to 8th edition as well as writing campaign missions for them, and they have rights to Abaddon, Belial, and Jain Zar for the moment. For Belial I picked up the short story "Accept no Failure," for Abaddon I'm listening to Talon of Horus and Black Legion, and as I have such a cruddy grasp of the Eldar mindset I needed reference and the Eldar community in game recommended I start with the "Path of the..." books all contained in Path of the Eldar. Dark Imperium is so I have an idea of the new timeline.
ViaVirtus / Matthew Mevis
"Editor of the volunteer program yet to be named that works with storyline."
-- Nathan Richardsson, Eternal Crusade Sr. Producer
"I Fight For The Users!"​
ViaVirtus

Postby Rob P » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:39 pm

ViaVirtus wrote:
They are each being read for different reasons, though the two I'm reading for enjoyment are Space Wolf and Sons of the Hydra. Reading Sons and watching the main character's mind work is wicked fun and an exercise in 'out of the box' thinking. Space Wolf is because I love the mythic/Saga-like nature of the Fenrisian mentality; the notion that every footfall of the Rout treads a path of mystical significance.

I'm helping the video game Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade update their background to 8th edition as well as writing campaign missions for them, and they have rights to Abaddon, Belial, and Jain Zar for the moment. For Belial I picked up the short story "Accept no Failure," for Abaddon I'm listening to Talon of Horus and Black Legion, and as I have such a cruddy grasp of the Eldar mindset I needed reference and the Eldar community in game recommended I start with the "Path of the..." books all contained in Path of the Eldar. Dark Imperium is so I have an idea of the new timeline.

Nice. Good advice from the Eldar community.

The codexes are pretty good too for race wide information.

Not the main focus but 'The Emperor's Gift' features the space wolves and it was both pivotal and gripping.
Rob P

Postby Rob P » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:53 pm

Finished Edit Ready, Felt really useful and too long to summarise. It's hopelessly incomplete and the formatting is bizarre, but I really liked it.
Rob P

Postby Vivia » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:12 pm

I'm getting back on reading.
First was the Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories by Agatha Christie. It isn't bad, the premise is kind of limited, though. Apparently, everyone Miss Marple knows have been involved in a murder, in the country side no less. The reader is to believe people died in violent ways similar to ancient Rome. Her friends sit one evening playing a game of guess-the-murderer and obviously, Marple gets it right every time. Duh. Every case follows Christie's usual tropes, the love triangles, the inheritance etc. Some were clever, but in all they were repetitive and boring. Not too bad, the book was incredibly easy to read from start to finish.

I'm struggling to finish The Murder At the Vicarage. It was the first Miss Marple book and it shows. She's often treated as the gossipy old hag that cares about everyone's business, it can get frustrating to read her as this as she later evolves into the wise old woman that's treated with out most respect. The story feels flat and dry, it's the usual bs of the "clock stopped at 12 am", or whatever it's this time.

Then it's my annual read of Gone with The Wind, I finally got it as an ebook.

Edit:
In case no one noticed this, but the new forum theme made all the spoilers visible.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:00 pm

Finished Shield Of Baal. Continuing my Blood Angels theme reading drum roll please DANTE by Guy Haley For the Emperor and Sanguinius!

Cheers
Aristedes Colettas

Postby Major Rawne » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:37 pm

Aristedes Colettas wrote:Finished Shield Of Baal. Continuing my Blood Angels theme reading drum roll please DANTE by Guy Haley For the Emperor and Sanguinius!

Cheers

Quality combination!

Still plodding on with Tech-Priest. Enjoyable enough but doesn't feel like there is much to it outside of the info dumps.
Major Rawne

Postby Major Rawne » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:28 pm

Despite failing to read it before the end of last year as I had hoped,I moments ago finished Tech-Priest. Like the first one very middle of the road. Probably really could have done with being twice as long to really dig into the story and characters.

Diving into The Devastation of Baal now. Haley don't fail me now!
Major Rawne

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:37 am

Finished Dante WOW! 10/10 Congrats Guy Haley. Please write more Dante and his exploits.
Ok now following in Major Rawne’s footsteps right behind you buddy and going forth with
My Blood Angels obsession currently starting
Space Marine Conquests – The Devastation of Baal – by Guy Haley <- You hands down are the Blood Angels Guru.
Cheers
Aristedes Colettas

Postby Therion » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:57 am

The White Knight: Tirant Lo Blanc by Martí Joan de Galba and Joanot Martorell. A 15th century novel. Pretty interesting.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - Finished reading the first tome yesterday. Great manga!

The Art of Sword Combat: A 1568 German Treatise on Swordmanship. Very interesting. It has pretty pictures. Somewhat hard to understand, though.

Cutting with the Medieval Sword: Theory and Application. Very interesting book. Difficult to read, though.

Also, I borrowed Jung's Psychological Types and a book about Polish folk art from the library. It seems that folk art was done in professional workshops O_o .
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:49 pm

Black Static magazine, issue 61.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:23 pm

... and now about Annihilation, by Jeff Vandermeer (I wanted to read it before the possibility of seeing the film).
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:48 pm

Getting back to the new grimdark lord Jay Kristoff with the second book of the Nevernight Chronicle, Godsgrave. Damn good so far.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Fenris » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:56 pm

Finally bought Jain Zar (for real :D )

Started it but i dont really know where i'll find the time to keep reading :cry:
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby Xisor » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:33 pm

I finished Dante a day or two back.

Wow.

Hell of a book. Ludicrous timing for its release, but glad I got to it eventually.

Really neat "traditional" YA sort of arc to it, but subverted in the way one might expect (or perhaps: demand, but not actually expect) of 40k.

Very bleak story, but helluva good.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Major Rawne » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:28 am

Blitzed through the last 3/5ths of Devastation of Baal yesterday. Bloody Brilliant. Only negative was that it wasn't longer, as there is so much going on.

Next up is The Warmaster. It's good to be back the the Ghosts.
Major Rawne

Postby Xisor » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:08 pm

Nipped through a good chunk of "Tallarn" - really rather good. An exceptionally human set of stories, which the HH (for me) has been sorely missing.

A third still to go, and it only continues to get more fascinating!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:03 pm

Revenger, Alastair Reynolds. This may be marketed as a YA novel, but this OA is enjoying it very much.
Chun the Unavoidable

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events