What Are You Reading?

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

What Are You Reading?

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:21 pm

Did I get to do it first? Did I?

Anyway, I'm still reading The Bounty - The True Story of the Mutiny on the Bounty, by Caroline Alexandre.
Chun the Unavoidable

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Squiggle » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:49 pm

Good work.

I am currently re-reading Jingo by the inestimable Terry Pratchett. It is an amazing book.

I just finished Salamander by Nick Kyme. I enjoyed it, but I think the middle was a little weak. I also never want to read the word "cerulean" again.

I now have Firedrake to read, which promises much.
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Maugan Ra » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:00 pm

At the moment, I'm reading Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett. Earlier today, I bought and read the Watchmen graphic novel, which was rather awesome.
Maugan, your slow descent into madness is starting to look more like a BASE jump...
- Rahvin

The 210th Cadian - Tanks, heavy weapons, and an ongoing hatred of Land Raiders.
W: 41
D: 6
L: 14
Maugan Ra

Postby J D Dunsany » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:23 pm

How weird. Wintersmith is on the desk next to me as I type and Mrs Dunsany (who is a longsuffering soul but likes her Pratchett) is reading Jingo at the moment.

It's been a while since I've given a proper run-down of books in progress, so...

Deathwing - ed. David Pringle. Just finished Storm Constantine's story 'Lacrymata' which, along with Ian Watson's 'Warped Stars', was baroquely textured gothic goodness, peppered with the kind of feverish sexuality that is now pretty much absent from BL's output. Watson's probably too clever for his own good, really - and the plot of Constantine's story is incredibly basic - but the sheer imagination with which both authors explore the setting makes me yearn for a bit more of this kind of story as opposed to the more sanitised and action-orientated focus of the current crop of BL fiction. There'll be a proper review of this at some point, time permitting.

On the e-reader:

Horus Rising - Dan Abnett. A re-read and a very impressive one. This novel is worthy of some proper intelligent discussion. The world-building is spot on; the characterisation of Astartes as semi-mythical demi-gods with the kind of character flaws that the Greek pantheon possessed is also very arresting. And you've got to love the remembrancers like Keeler, Oliton and Karkasy. The pace is sedate but it pulls you in very powerfully into the 31st millennium. Utterly fab.

Gardens of the Moon - Steven Erikson. Another re-read, but I'm liking it better this time around. Some of it appears less subtle than I remember it, but it's still very readable and very involving. (Btw, I read Chun and Mossy's comments on the previous thread and probably will invest in The Name of the Wind at some point - it sounds like my kind of thing.)

Tess of the d'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy. Yes, it's a set text, but it's also a profoundly well-written novel. I've learnt a lot about the mechanics of sentence and paragraph construction, as well as how to write setting, just by reading it.

There's other stuff on the go, too - but this is the stuff I've read/dipped into in the last few days.

Regards,

JDD
JDD story of the moment: Glory
J D Dunsany

Postby Xisor » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:29 pm

Tess marked a massive changing point in my reading/writing ideas too. My dad's far-and-away favourite author is Thomas Hardy, mentions it every time decent reading comes up. I was surprised by just how right he was in how excellently written they are. Where Tess is a pretty bleak book, it's immensely more enjoyable as a reader than Pride and Prejudice (which I tried to read a short while after).

Anyway, I'm still reading The Hunt for Voldemort, and though I'm enjoying it, I find I keep criticising it in my head. Not utterly amazing, but so far it's enjoyable.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Pipitán » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:16 pm

The Writer's Journey, by Christopher Vogler. It's very interesting, although his style is annoying.
It’s genius. This story absolutely BLEEDS 40K, start to finish... I freaking loved it.
- Aaron Dembski-Bowden on my story 'Sating Desire'
Pipitán

Postby Loremaster » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:52 pm

just started reading Blood Gorgons by Henry Zou ... expecting another brutal story in the same style as his previous two books Emperor's Mercy and Flesh and Iron.
Once thats finished will see what comes to hand from the pile of books next to my seat that are unread.... or maybe something that i have picked up and Black library live :)
Loremaster

Postby Ommadawn » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:49 am

I just finished Brandon Sanderson's Book 13 of the Wheel of Time series, Towers of Midnight. Seriously, this guy has breathed new life into what was becoming a tired series with no end in sight. I can't wait to read the final book, now.

Now, of course, I've finally gotten around to reading Hammer and Bolter (issue 1). A pretty good selection of short stories and extracts, I think I'll keep buying these.
Ommadawn

Postby Boc » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:42 am

Currently reading Dark Disciple, just finished Prospero Burns.
Violence isn't the answer, it's the question. The answer is yes.

Check out The Heretic, Heresy-Online's Quarterly FanFiction and Art Publication. Issue 2 is out now!

Skull Reaper - An Alpha Legion Novel
Submersion - An Alpha Legion Short
Birth of Decay - A Plague Marine Short
Boc

Postby David Earle » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:45 am

Okay, I'm online and fully operational. 8-)

Still reading Savage Scars at the moment, though I took a quick break to read both of the Eisenhorn short stories.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Shatol » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:53 am

Currently reading that the bolthole moved. :lol:
All hail the dedicated staff. :mrgreen:
Shatol

Postby Mossy Toes » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:38 am

JDD: I'm glad. Very glad. I sincerely hope that you enjoy it as much as I did.

I, on the other hand, have moved on to the seventh volume of the Malazan Book of the Fallen: Reaper's Gale. I also have Fallen Angels at my disposal (loaned by a friend, like the other 3 HH books I read just recently), and a book of my choice to read for school. I chose, from the listed examples, The Road. It's been buried in one of my stacks for a while now, and I've heard almost universally good things about it, so I'm glad to have the excuse to pull it out and dust off the spine.

Also considering indulging in The Great Bay, a piece of sci fi that's set in a local where (to me) and spans a local when to, oh, sixteen thousand years in the future. It was loaned to me by my (rather liberal, sustainable living agenda-ed) ceramics teacher--the same one that loaned me Brunner's The Sheep Look Up.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby J D Dunsany » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:03 am

Not read The Sheep Look Up, but I'm about a hundred pages into Stand On Zanzibar which is phenomenal really - a visionary book both in terms of subject matter and style.

The Road is an amazing book. I read it a couple of years ago at roughly the same time as a work colleague and our mutual enthusiasm for it made for some of the most satisfying and thoughtful conversations I've ever had. So, yeah, I recommend it wholeheartedly and, you know, if you want to chat about it, I'll happily do so. :D

JDD
J D Dunsany

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:36 am

I mean to read The Road, but I think I have to be in the right frame of mind. The film left me in shreds.

To Stand on Zanzibar is indeed a classic, and one I will return to when I've grown up a bit.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Bane Of Kings » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:46 am

I am currently re-reading Galaxy in Flames by Ben Counter.
BOOK/FILM/GAME/TV REVIEWS
http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.co.uk/
"The Machine asked me to tell you something before we part. You once told John the whole point of Pandora’s box was that once you’ve opened it, you can’t close it again. She wanted me to remind you of how the story ends. When everything is over, when the worst has happened, there’s still one thing left in Pandora’s box: hope"
Bane Of Kings

Postby J D Dunsany » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:22 am

Chun the Unavoidable wrote:I mean to read The Road, but I think I have to be in the right frame of mind. The film left me in shreds.

I do know what you mean. It's an intense book (not seen the movie yet - although the work colleague I mentioned previously was very positive about it) which I read in about a week (which, for me, is very quick indeed) during a summer holiday.

It's one of those books you need to be prepared to sink your time into, because it's such an intense read. Once it hooks you it doesn't let you go.

All the best!

JDD
J D Dunsany

Postby Fiorfin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:08 pm

I have to say I read The Road a while ago and found it a bit bland and unoriginal, sorry peeps.

Currently still in the Discworld reading The Last Continent.
The world is full of Kings and Queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
Fiorfin

Postby Hunstar » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:09 pm

I've tried to read The Road several times but I keep putting it down. I think i may have to abandon it completely.

At the minute I'm reading The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett
Hunstar

Postby Northern » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:14 pm

Honour and the Sword by Al Berridge and very good it is too. Set in France during the 30 years war, it has the requisite amount of buckles being swashed.
Northern

Postby Balhaar » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:36 pm

Currently reading 'Sharpe's Gold' by Bernard Cornwell. After that I plan on getting stuck into Les Miserables by Victor Hugo.
My debut novel 'Life Eternal' is due out on august 1st 2011. Search 'Aaron J Booth' on facebook to see the cover art.
Balhaar

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events