Assistance Required..ongoing efforts to Rejuve the Bolthole

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Assistance Required..ongoing efforts to Rejuve the Bolthole

Postby Squiggle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:34 pm

Dear all. If you are reading this you are among those still occasionally perusing this forum....

We need some help, otherwise the writing is on the wall.

If you would like to help run it, inject some life into it then please get in touch otherwise I suspect the end is nigh.

Gav Thorpe has kindly offered to host a guest blog post which should generate some interest so that's in the pipeline but all ideas welcome at this point!!
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Re: Assistance Required... The End is Nigh!!

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:03 am

I can't commit to anything really until January, just got a promotion at work and retail goes batshit crazy this time of year.

I've got some ideas but none of which I'd have faith in me executing well or being disciplined enough to keep doing consistently without other folks taking part and assisting because arguably we need to be creating content to get peoples attention which we can than point at the forum.

These include.
  • A podcast of some sort (I have a sort of desire to do something called something like "Headcanon approved"
    in which having discussed the merits and flaws in whatever crazy fan notion or theory presented I can just go "meh it is your hobby if this makes you happy run with it" because there are too many folks using the lore in a ridiculous gatekeeping way) it'd need more than my voice though and would either need to be quite regular or be part of a series of other podcasts that can always feature a bit of chat about what is going on in the bolthole so each week/fortnight there'll be a podcast but it'll alternate between 2-4 types of shows.
  • Finally typing up all my city of Glittergrand notes for Age of Sigmar to share and have as a sort of Bolthole specific sandbox for that setting.
  • Maybe riffing off the old high point of the Silver Skulls project and doing something similar again to invite people to write stuff and participate in.

(those last two are hard ones because they need participants to really build up steam I know though I guess one of the podcasts can be a review of that months part of the creative worldbuilding project, and a preamble/explanation for what is happening next,Then a more generic book review, general discussion with maybe some author interview elements bit and there is a bit of variety though a lot of work. )
schaferwhat‽

Postby Xisor » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:05 pm

The writing need never be on the wall!

That said, I've been scratching my head for ideas* and navel-gazing for enthusiasm**.

I've come to the conclusion that I just need to get my hands dirty and start breaking*** things.

On the Twitters this morning, Schafe reminded me that modifications to forum tech can be done; specifically to better hook in to FB & Twitter. Seamless linking between forum and Imgur/YouTube might be good too.

But that's a coghead thing, not a content thing. Where content's concerned, talking head is easy to do; meaningful is less easy.

* sort of useful but needs enthusiasm and motivation to go anywhere.
** ill-advised, doesn't work.
*** in the sense of taking apart an old/simple radio, not crashing the database and destroying everything for eternity.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:16 am

No don't end this. how about streamlining the forum somehow that takes less time and effort since life is busy. I will have to ponder on this.
Cheer
Aristedes Colettas

Postby Fenris » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:37 pm

Sadly i cant contribute much :(

Still,it'd be quite a pity to see the forum go away,where else could i go to rage about the occasional IF massacre :D
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby Rob P » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:49 pm

Feels a little bit like history repeating itself (see pinned Front and Centre thread).

I'd chip in for a functional shoutbox and I could do one BL review a month (with more detail than I usually do).
Rob P

Postby Squiggle » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:18 am

Rob - sounds good. And yes, a little bit. Mainly because doing this on my todd I have a limited amount to time I can actually devote to it hence my request for additional input. Otherwise I fear that we will not survive the winter!

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Squiggle » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:19 pm

quick update. I have written up a blog post which Gav is going to host on his blog. Schafer has been doing an amazing job at the Weekender live tweeting and generally garnering us some more publicity.

I will get a blog post up with him this week as a review of the event, and then with that and Gav's hosting we should get a few more views and maybe get this thing moving.

I will try and get the shoutbox link fixed as that is hurting us, I think, and then its just a matter of trying to get some new and interested members who want to contribute.

I also think we need to get more authors involved as that was a big draw.

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Rob P » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:23 pm

No worries. Wasn't having a dig, but just being malancholic about bolthole and it's decline.

Ideally the shoutbox would be a sidebar. I don't know how easy that is with php.

PM once you have sourced a new shoutbox (it looks like Shoutmix died some time ago) and i'll sort the cost out.
Rob P

Postby Squiggle » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:53 pm

is it still not working for you? seemed to be working for me recently.

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Squiggle » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:54 pm

Rob P wrote:No worries. Wasn't having a dig, but just being malancholic about bolthole and it's decline.

Ideally the shoutbox would be a sidebar. I don't know how easy that is with php.

PM once you have sourced a new shoutbox (it looks like Shoutmix died some time ago) and i'll sort the cost out.

and yes I know you werent having a dig rob :)

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Rob P » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Ah, I was looking in the wrong place! I'd forgotten about the switch to chatwing.

Is making the shoutbox link at the top work as simple as an administrator changing the relevant bit of the source code from:

<li><a href="http://www6.shoutmix.com/?bljunkies" title="Shoutbox">Shoutbox</a></li>
</ul>
</div>
</div>
<br />
</div>

To:

<li><a href="https://chatwing.com/Squiggle" title="Shoutbox">Shoutbox</a></li>
</ul>
</div>
</div>
<br />
</div>

?

I know nothing about this sort of thing
Rob P

Postby Xisor » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:16 pm

I assume it's that easy (or not too different), but I've not dabbled too much in the administrator settings yet. I'm wary of giving into my... gung ho (reading impatient) nature and breaking things. I'll bite the bullet and check it out.

Moreover, once I've recovered a bit of energy this week, I think I might be able to be more active on the organising/participating front. Certainly, after some discussions last night, I had some fairly clear ideas about opportunities and habits that I'd like to cultivate. :)
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Squiggle » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:40 pm

Xisor wrote:I assume it's that easy (or not too different), but I've not dabbled too much in the administrator settings yet. I'm wary of giving into my... gung ho (reading impatient) nature and breaking things. I'll bite the bullet and check it out.

Well its broken already. I dont seem to have access to those setting so I cant break it for you...

Xisor wrote:Moreover, once I've recovered a bit of energy this week, I think I might be able to be more active on the organising/participating front. Certainly, after some discussions last night, I had some fairly clear ideas about opportunities and habits that I'd like to cultivate. :)

Looked like a great weekend was had by all - I am glad. The guest blog post is in Gav's inbox so I feel quite optimistic!

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Pyroriffic » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:37 am

Have changed the Shoutbox link for y'all.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:46 am

I know my way around this sort of thing. phpbb isn't what I am familiar with but changing links, updating themes/headers and stuff should be doable if you need stuff like that doing.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Squiggle » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:08 am

Pyroriffic wrote:Have changed the Shoutbox link for y'all.

aw thanks!! glad someone round here knows what they are doing.

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events