Black Library Weekender

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Black Library Weekender

Postby Lord of the Night » Wed May 10, 2017 2:18 pm

With the Black Library Weekender coming up later in the year, who here is planning to attend? I'll definitely be there, had a blast at BLL and would love to do it again, and I want to get all the pre-release books again. Would also like to get some FW stuff while I'm there for my Legion.

Only thing that I'm wondering about is accommodation, is it better to stay at the Belfry (assuming that is where it will be like it was the last time) or to stay somewhere cheaper but further away from the actual event. What does everyone else do?


LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
User avatar
Lord of the Night
 
Posts: 3244
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 pm
Location: The Warp


Re: Black Library Weekender

Postby Major Rawne » Wed May 10, 2017 7:38 pm

At the moment i'm planning on going, it's always been a blast.

Assuming it's the Belfry it's incredibly convenient staying there, but it's not a cheap option. However it's the one i'll most likely be partaking in again, all the cool people do.
User avatar
Major Rawne
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:24 am
Location: Under Your Bed


Re: Black Library Weekender

Postby Athelassan » Thu May 11, 2017 4:04 pm

Having almost no engagement with BL any more, sadly, I won't be attending this year, or probably ever again.

The Belfry isn't particularly conveniently located for any hotels other than itself. There is at least one other that's not a million miles away, but it's still a bit of a drive. Walking or public transport isn't an option. TThis is therefore worth bearing in mind, since if you don't have a car of your own you'll either have to arrange a lift with some kindly person (easier if you're staying at the Belfry, probably) or get taxis (assuming you can), the cost of which could erase much of the benefit of staying in a cheaper hotel.

And of course, if you are driving yourself, that's going to cut down on the amount of "socialising" you can do at the Belfry bar in the evenings, which to my mind is half the reason to go anyway.

Ath
User avatar
Athelassan
 
Posts: 2552
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:44 pm
Location: London


Re: Black Library Weekender

Postby Lord of the Night » Sun May 28, 2017 11:45 am

Image

Hotel room booked. Waiting for the tickets now! :D


LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
User avatar
Lord of the Night
 
Posts: 3244
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 pm
Location: The Warp


Re: Black Library Weekender

Postby Dorian » Mon May 29, 2017 5:07 pm

I'll be there. :mrgreen: Plan on staying at the Belfry (because according to Rawne that's where all the cool kids stay ;) ). I wish it would be November already.
Wyrd bið ful aræd.

We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things.

If the world is at peace then it means someone is planning war.
User avatar
Dorian
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:04 pm


Re: Black Library Weekender

Postby Major Rawne » Tue May 30, 2017 12:53 pm

For the moment I'll hold off on booking the hotel until the tickets are up, but at the minute it's looking to be about similar pricing as before. So not cheap, but not beyond what i'm happy with. There were a few folks in the Convention Secundus group on Facebook looking for possible room shares at the Belfry to take the sting out of it all a little.
User avatar
Major Rawne
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:24 am
Location: Under Your Bed


Re: Black Library Weekender

Postby Athelassan » Tue May 30, 2017 7:07 pm

I have no plans to attend the Weekender, but I couldn't pass up the chance to share a room with Rawne.

Ath
User avatar
Athelassan
 
Posts: 2552
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:44 pm
Location: London


Re: Black Library Weekender

Postby Major Rawne » Wed May 31, 2017 7:45 pm

Athelassan wrote:I have no plans to attend the Weekender, but I couldn't pass up the chance to share a room with Rawne.

Ath

The real catch is Schafe! He's nothing but a gentle man in the bedroom.
User avatar
Major Rawne
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:24 am
Location: Under Your Bed


Re: Black Library Weekender

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:45 am

Major Rawne wrote:
Athelassan wrote:I have no plans to attend the Weekender, but I couldn't pass up the chance to share a room with Rawne.

Ath

The real catch is Schafe! He's nothing but a gentle man in the bedroom.


Was that space intentional? :shock:

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:32 pm
Location: Nottingham


Re: Black Library Weekender

Postby Xisor » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:57 am

I think I'll be heading along this year, once tickets are up. Very keen for it. Far too much reading to do between now and then though!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
User avatar
Xisor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4955
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:13 pm
Location: Canterbury


Re: Black Library Weekender

Postby Neverborn » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:53 am

Tickets are available for anyone who bought for BL Live 2016. £75 as usual, and guests confirmed so far are Dan Abnett, Chris Dows and David Guymer.

Oh, and The Warmaster will be available to buy!

The hype begins in earnest now...
User avatar
Neverborn
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:56 pm
Location: Londinium


Re: Black Library Weekender

Postby Major Rawne » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:02 pm

Neverborn wrote:Tickets are available for anyone who bought for BL Live 2016. £75 as usual, and guests confirmed so far are Dan Abnett, Chris Dows and David Guymer.

Oh, and The Warmaster will be available to buy!

The hype begins in earnest now...

Oh sweeeeeet! Now I just curse my luck for being at work where I can't get tickets booked.
User avatar
Major Rawne
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:24 am
Location: Under Your Bed


Re: Black Library Weekender

Postby Dorian » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Dennis the Hamster wrote:
Major Rawne wrote:
Athelassan wrote:I have no plans to attend the Weekender, but I couldn't pass up the chance to share a room with Rawne.

Ath

The real catch is Schafe! He's nothing but a gentle man in the bedroom.


Was that space intentional? :shock:

Gav


Haha, I've been wondering the same.
Wyrd bið ful aræd.

We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things.

If the world is at peace then it means someone is planning war.
User avatar
Dorian
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:04 pm


Re: Black Library Weekender

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:40 pm

Major Rawne wrote:Oh sweeeeeet! Now I just curse my luck for being at work where I can't get tickets booked.

That's what breaks are for, and when I did mine. :)

With Dan there taking Eisenhorn is a must, but if they confirm Graham McNeill as well i'll be taking as much of the Heresy as I can transport. Having the entire series signed is a goal of mine, so i'll definitely be bringing Know No Fear, Horus Rising, Unremembered Empire, though i'll leave Legion and Prospero Burns since i've got the paperbacks and I want to replace them with hardbacks one day.

If McNeill is there however i'll bring my paperback of Fulgrim, as the first BL book I ever read and the book that got me into reading as a hobby it's special to me and while i'll still get a hardback copy of the book one day, i'll always treasure my original copy.


LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
User avatar
Lord of the Night
 
Posts: 3244
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 pm
Location: The Warp


Re: Black Library Weekender

Postby Neverborn » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:16 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:With Dan there taking Eisenhorn is a must, but if they confirm Graham McNeill as well i'll be taking as much of the Heresy as I can transport.

Yeah, it's going to be cool to see who else gets added to the bill. There's usually a good number of the authors, so fingers crossed at least one or two of the guys from across the pond can make it :)
User avatar
Neverborn
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:56 pm
Location: Londinium


Re: Black Library Weekender

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:15 pm

Neverborn wrote:
Lord of the Night wrote:With Dan there taking Eisenhorn is a must, but if they confirm Graham McNeill as well i'll be taking as much of the Heresy as I can transport.

Yeah, it's going to be cool to see who else gets added to the bill. There's usually a good number of the authors, so fingers crossed at least one or two of the guys from across the pond can make it :)

If I could pick just one it would be C.L Werner, i'd love to meet him face to face and discuss Thanquol and all things Skaven. :D


LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
User avatar
Lord of the Night
 
Posts: 3244
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 pm
Location: The Warp


Re: Black Library Weekender

Postby Neverborn » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:32 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:If I could pick just one it would be C.L Werner, i'd love to meet him face to face and discuss Thanquol and all things Skaven. :D


LotN

He's been before, so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility... :)
User avatar
Neverborn
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:56 pm
Location: Londinium


Re: Black Library Weekender

Postby Squiggle » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:35 pm

Yes we did have some great times at BLL. I'm not going to make this year - real life I think - new baby etc. Feeble excuses I admit.

However the new 40k has engendered a new interest in 40k so expect to see some more involvement from me in the forum :D
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
User avatar
Squiggle
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:18 pm
Location: Cornwall, UK


Re: Black Library Weekender

Postby Major Rawne » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:46 pm

Dorian wrote:
Dennis the Hamster wrote:
Major Rawne wrote:The real catch is Schafe! He's nothing but a gentle man in the bedroom.


Was that space intentional? :shock:

Gav


Haha, I've been wondering the same.

Oh no the cats out the bag! :lol:
User avatar
Major Rawne
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:24 am
Location: Under Your Bed


Re: Black Library Weekender

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:23 pm

Neverborn wrote:
Lord of the Night wrote:If I could pick just one it would be C.L Werner, i'd love to meet him face to face and discuss Thanquol and all things Skaven. :D


LotN

He's been before, so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility... :)

Don't tease me! :lol:


LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
User avatar
Lord of the Night
 
Posts: 3244
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 pm
Location: The Warp

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests